Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 156 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 155 156
Originally Posted by Nessius
Originally Posted by Raz415
THAT is the world the game is set in. Why SHOULD your Tav succeed when saving Karlach isn't even Tavs main focus? Why can't one companion die because they refuse to do the one thing that will save them? Avernus was a choice, which Karlach refused in the original version, because "It would be worse than death". I would have been fine if the writers let her die with dignity after she saved Faerun and was brave enough to choose death over servitude, but now the fan-service is done and y'all can have an ending where Karlach lives and fits with the world that Larian built. What people are asking for now is the unreasonable and the unplausible.

This game is a choice based RPG, and Tav is not some prebuilt character like in The Witcher who has their own predetermined wants and goals. Tav is MY character, and I determine what his main focus is, not some arbitrary template that you have thrust upon them. Also, Larian didn't build this world, it is a world that they were given which has its own rules, which for the rest of the game Larian follows without issue. The fact in this one specific case they don't is not a good design choice. In fact it is so egregious I can only assume that it wasn't intentional and was not a design choice, but simply a matter of lack of time.

Finally, it's very disingenuous to attempt to imply that someone has mental health issues because they disagree with what you're saying.

The main focus is dealing with the Dead Threes plot. Everything else is a sidequest. You never get the option of stopping and saying "I'm just gonna move in with Jaheira". ALL Origin characters have predetermined wants and goals. Even Custom characters have them, through Backgrounds and Tags.

Saying Larian didn't build this world shows that you are not acquainted with D&D. Every DM creates their OWN world in a SETTING (such as The Forgotten Realms, where Faerun is). Larian HAS created THEIR version of the Forgotten Realms, just as intended. You're just playing a videogame set in it. There is A LOT of homebrew compared to the written D&D books, there are MASSIVE differences between many of the novels and their world, the world they tried to stay as true as possible to was that of BG1 and BG2. Either hop on board and enjoy the world they created, or don't.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Arkaelus
But... they so obviously didn't offer an extra ending, it's literally just the "she goes to Avernus" ending, but with more detail... Calling this a different and new ending is disingenuous in itself.

This is exactly the problem I have with the updated ending. It's just an extended view of a pre-existing ending. The way they were talking, I thought Larian meant they would provide a brand new ending option that would be more satisfying and fulfilling for Karlach fans that really wanted a happy ending for her personal story. To say that this ending is what she "deserved" is just hurtful. I don't think that's what she deserves at all. It's not a good ending.

Justice for Karlach
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Nary a Care
My biggest fear is abandoning it is exactly what they're going to do when it's clear the story needs more work.

Well, Larian is kinda known for staying in touch with the community and listening to feedback. I think it's very important for them to make things right with BG3. The game is a stomper, gaming community is looking up to them and praising them (and lets be honest, they deserve to be praised, I mean the game is fantastic), they wouldn't want the sour taste to taint their next game for instance, the bar is incredibly high right now and everyone will be expecting masterpieces. Everyone's looking closely to see what happens next

apprentice
apprentice
Yet again, I have to disagree... If the main and only focus in this game were to stop the Dead Three, the game would end in Act II with Gale annihilating himself and everything around him...

Edit: and, again, the world presented suffered editing cuts, which makes its internal logic inconsistent with its very self

Last edited by Arkaelus; 03/09/23 10:15 PM.

Justice for Karlach
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by KnightSandor
But... they so obviously didn't offer an extra ending, it's literally just the "she goes to Avernus" ending, but with more detail... Calling this a different and new ending is disingenuous in itself.

This is exactly the problem I have with the updated ending. It's just an extended view of a pre-existing ending. The way they were talking, I thought Larian meant they would provide a brand new ending option that would be more satisfying and fulfilling for Karlach fans that really wanted a happy ending for her personal story. To say that this ending is what she "deserved" is just hurtful. I don't think that's what she deserves at all. It's not a good ending.

Yeah, that's my problem with it as well. Community Update#24 says "...with the addition of a new optional ending with Karlach." I was expecting something else but the extended version of an existing ending

Yet again, I have to disagree... If the main and only focus in this game were to stop the Dead Three, the game would end in Act II with Gale annihilating himself and everything around him...
I never said it was the ONLY focus, but it IS the MAIN focus. And the game does actually end there if you choose to go that route... it's a perfectly valid ending.

Why can't we have all the endings? Ignoring pragmatism, because not all of them make sense. Remember that guy that spent his entire adult life trying to ressurect a skeleton in his basement and failing, even though he had access to one of the most powerful books on Necromancy in existance? Remember Mayrina that made a deal with a hag to try and get her husband back? Remember what Ketheric Thorm had to do in order to bring his daughter back?

THAT is the world the game is set in. <...>

Sigh, okay, I'll bite. I can't speak for those of us who are fundamentally opposed to tragedy as is, but I can do pragmatism or whatever you want to call it.

Let's say that the tragedy (or the bittersweetness at best) is unavoidable, because that's the story the writers set to tell. Okay. I respect that.

You know what's the difference between the examples you've provided and Tav with Karlach?

It's that the characters you've listed tried and failed. Took the opportunities (or what they saw as opportunities) presented to them and then failed. Struggled and failed. Sometimes horribly.

The way Karlach's quest is structured right now, the game does not let us try. Tav doesn't try to save Karlach and fail, like those characters do. Tav is forced to stay idle and watch.

Necromancy books? Hags? Well okay, where's Tav's option to make a deal with the devil for Karlach's life and THEN fail and lose their soul in the process as a lesson or whatever? Where's the option to talk to the Gondians and THEN learn they can't help for one reason or the other (i.e. because Karlach is not a robot and they're not surgeons)? Why can't Tav opt to try Gale's or Jaheira's scrolls and see how that backfires? Why can't Tav demand Wither's help and be refused?

I feel like a broken record at this point, but I just want the game to let me try. To let us both try. To feel like we've exhausted all the possible options. To feel like there was a quest to embark on.

Is healing her not Tav's main focus? Maybe yes, maybe no, that should be for me as a player to decide. If I can get out of my way to help other companions (I hardly HAVE to do Astarion's quest to heal the tadpole or save the world, I can skip like half of Lae'zel's quest, I can ignore Halsin's quest whatsoever, or Jaheira's, etc etc, OR I can DO all those things for them because I CHOOSE to), then why is the only thing I'm ever given a chance to do for Karlach is give two pieces of metal to a smith and then off a guy I was going to off anyways?

While yes, a lot of us would rather have a happy ending just because, let's not act like this 'whining' is entirely entitled or fairytale-ending-baiting. While yes, people would still be upset, there wouldn't be half as much uproar about Karlach if we weren't made to feel entirely superficially helpless in her fate. If her tragic ending felt deserved (not by her as a character, as in "worked for").

I want her questline to either make me fight tooth and nail for her (like for the others!) and succeed because I'm an overpowered world savior with savescumming abilities OR make me fight tooth and nail and feel true despair because I'm destined to fail like the characters you've listed. But as long as I'm forced to be like "Eh, made sure we can touch, surely that's enough and I can just completely give up now!" - yeah, I'm gonna be whining, it's neither here nor there.

And that's just upsetting compared to the way Karlach's character and attitude towards her affliction is written. 'Cause yes, it is beautifully written. Her cutscenes wreck my damn heart knowing that there's no cure for her. It's a tragic story about loving a doomed person (and maybe being unable to let go and going to literal Hell for them). But at the same time the game makes me feel incredibly stupid about it, 'cause what the hell am I doing about it except sit there and nod? And WHY am I not doing anything? The hell kind of a friend or a lover am I if she's a damn afterthought while I'm prancing around helping everyone else from other friends to random citizens?

And mind you, we CAN help a lot of those people. Which does make it feel like the ONLY reason why we can't save Karlach is because we aren't ALLOWED to. As long as there are still things we could've tried (the obvious ones, the in-the-plot-ones, I'm not talking adding in sunshine and rainbows) - it feels like there COULD be a happier ending IF we could only try. So until they let us try one way or another (successfully or not) - people will be asking for a happier end. Because it isn't made sufficiently unreal. It's possibility is right there one non-existent dialogue option away. There's a reason why lots of people feel like they messed up and missed a plot point when they reach her finale.

Of course, if Larian does just do a better structured quest-based tragedy, people will still be upset (because we love the character), but at least THEN the 'sometimes you can't win, stop crying' arguments will hold weight. As things stand now, I'm still waiting to be told by the game WHY exactly can't I win, except for the fact that someone is holding my hand back.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
apprentice
apprentice
Bro says its just a videogame and we should get a grip, meanwhile he comes into this thread related to Karlach and says the dumbest shit ever, how truely ironic and moronic some people are, crawl back to the cave you came from brother.
Btw you should apply as a writer for Netflix, I'm pretty sure they are interested in your shitty writing skills, would defnitely fit their recent failures of original series

"You dont always get what you want, even in Faerun" I think you must have played a different game than the rest of us, because I'm pretty sure I got everything I wanted.

Also pretty funny how you say others should get a grip, meanwhile you're in here, where the sole topic is that Karlachs endings are unsatisfying and that there should be an happy end added to the existing choices. Its fine if you like that type of ending, doesnt mean we ALL do and its disgusting and disrespectful that you're trying to shove your weird opinion in other peoples throat.

If youre fine with the ending good, but what is your actual goal coming in this thread trying to troll and trigger people? I think you should get a grip and maybe reflect a little on yourself.

apprentice
apprentice
Precisely! It's an OPTION! Which means its main focus can be whatever the player wants it to be! Personally, my main focus was to help the companions, whether they wanted it or not! The Dead Three were just a part of the plethora of problems they had!

And I thank you for bringing this up! Based on this logic, why would the demonstrably intended but woefully missing happy ending for Karlach not be equally valid?

Me: "Ok, Dammon's stumped, we'll see what comes next"

Act III: arrives

Me: "Oh. Oh! The Gondians created an army with Karlach's Heart v2.0? OH, they even recognise it within her?! Awesome, clear cut, know where I'm going, good thing I can also deal with the main stuff there!"

Me: "Oh sweet, Improved Infernal Iron, these guys really know what they're doing!"

Game: "Nope."

Me: "... what? But why?"

Game: "Because."

Me: "... but why's it even here if it's useless?"

Game: "Oh, look! There's Orin, go say hi!"

It's high-fantasy, you see, because it's totally devoid of logic!

Last edited by Arkaelus; 03/09/23 10:39 PM.

Justice for Karlach
Precisely! It's an OPTION! Which means its main focus can be whatever the player wants it to be! Personally, my main focus was to help the companions, whether they wanted it or not! The Dead Three were just a part of the plethora of problems they had!

And I thank you for bringing this up! Based on this logic, why would the demonstrably intended but woefully missing happy ending for Karlach not be equally valid?

Me: "Ok, Dammon's stumped, we'll see what comes next"

Act III: arrives

Me: "Oh. Oh! The Gondians created an army with Karlach's Heart v2.0? OH, they even recognise it within her?! Awesome, clear cut, know where I'm going, good thing I can also deal with the main stuff there!"

Me: "Oh sweet, Improved Infernal Iron, these guys really know what they're doing!"

Game: "Nope."

Me: "... what? But why?"

Game: "Because."

Me: "... but why's it even here if it's useless?"

Game: "Oh, look! There's Orin, go say hi!"

It's high-fantasy, you see, because it's totally devoid of logic!
While you have a point that players should at least have the option to discuss this with Dammon and the bois, you must realize that the Steel Watch is using an Infernal Engine with no issues... because they're made out of metal. There is no problem to fix. That thing shouldn't be in a humanoid, Karlach even says very few would survive having one.

Originally Posted by tarraxahum
Why can't we have all the endings? Ignoring pragmatism, because not all of them make sense. Remember that guy that spent his entire adult life trying to ressurect a skeleton in his basement and failing, even though he had access to one of the most powerful books on Necromancy in existance? Remember Mayrina that made a deal with a hag to try and get her husband back? Remember what Ketheric Thorm had to do in order to bring his daughter back?

THAT is the world the game is set in. <...>

Sigh, okay, I'll bite. I can't speak for those of us who are fundamentally opposed to tragedy as is, but I can do pragmatism or whatever you want to call it.

Let's say that the tragedy (or the bittersweetness at best) is unavoidable, because that's the story the writers set to tell. Okay. I respect that.

You know what's the difference between the examples you've provided and Tav with Karlach?

It's that the characters you've listed tried and failed. Took the opportunities (or what they saw as opportunities) presented to them and then failed. Struggled and failed. Sometimes horribly.

The way Karlach's quest is structured right now, the game does not let us try. Tav doesn't try to save Karlach and fail, like those characters do. Tav is forced to stay idle and watch.

Necromancy books? Hags? Well okay, where's Tav's option to make a deal with the devil for Karlach's life and THEN fail and lose their soul in the process as a lesson or whatever? Where's the option to talk to the Gondians and THEN learn they can't help for one reason or the other (i.e. because Karlach is not a robot and they're not surgeons)? Why can't Tav opt to try Gale's or Jaheira's scrolls and see how that backfires? Why can't Tav demand Wither's help and be refused?

I feel like a broken record at this point, but I just want the game to let me try. To let us both try. To feel like we've exhausted all the possible options. To feel like there was a quest to embark on.

Is healing her not Tav's main focus? Maybe yes, maybe no, that should be for me as a player to decide. If I can get out of my way to help other companions (I hardly HAVE to do Astarion's quest to heal the tadpole or save the world, I can skip like half of Lae'zel's quest, I can ignore Halsin's quest whatsoever, or Jaheira's, etc etc, OR I can DO all those things for them because I CHOOSE to), then why is the only thing I'm ever given a chance to do for Karlach is give two pieces of metal to a smith and then off a guy I was going to off anyways?

While yes, a lot of us would rather have a happy ending just because, let's not act like this 'whining' is entirely entitled or fairytale-ending-baiting. While yes, people would still be upset, there wouldn't be half as much uproar about Karlach if we weren't made to feel entirely superficially helpless in her fate. If her tragic ending felt deserved (not by her as a character, as in "worked for").

I want her questline to either make me fight tooth and nail for her (like for the others!) and succeed because I'm an overpowered world savior with savescumming abilities OR make me fight tooth and nail and feel true despair because I'm destined to fail like the characters you've listed. But as long as I'm forced to be like "Eh, made sure we can touch, surely that's enough and I can just completely give up now!" - yeah, I'm gonna be whining, it's neither here nor there.

And that's just upsetting compared to the way Karlach's character and attitude towards her affliction is written. 'Cause yes, it is beautifully written. Her cutscenes wreck my damn heart knowing that there's no cure for her. It's a tragic story about loving a doomed person (and maybe being unable to let go and going to literal Hell for them). But at the same time the game makes me feel incredibly stupid about it, 'cause what the hell am I doing about it except sit there and nod? And WHY am I not doing anything? The hell kind of a friend or a lover am I if she's a damn afterthought while I'm prancing around helping everyone else from other friends to random citizens?

And mind you, we CAN help a lot of those people. Which does make it feel like the ONLY reason why we can't save Karlach is because we aren't ALLOWED to. As long as there are still things we could've tried (the obvious ones, the in-the-plot-ones, I'm not talking adding in sunshine and rainbows) - it feels like there COULD be a happier ending IF we could only try. So until they let us try one way or another (successfully or not) - people will be asking for a happier end. Because it isn't made sufficiently unreal. It's possibility is right there one non-existent dialogue option away. There's a reason why lots of people feel like they messed up and missed a plot point when they reach her finale.

Of course, if Larian does just do a better structured quest-based tragedy, people will still be upset (because we love the character), but at least THEN the 'sometimes you can't win, stop crying' arguments will hold weight. As things stand now, I'm still waiting to be told by the game WHY exactly can't I win, except for the fact that someone is holding my hand back.

You've really hit the nail on the head with the issues Karlach's storyline has. There's a (very short) conversation with Jaheira where you can say something along the lines of "I just don't know what I can do to help her." and it feels very strange that.. we do. Where the hell is Dammons dialogue? Not just dialogue related to Karlach, in act 3 he's just a vendor. It really doesn't feel like we've exhausted all options, and that's what is needed to really make her entire story better. What I dislike about this thread is that people focus on the ending and how "Karlach deserves" something different. The truth is, Karlach is getting the short end of the stick for most of the game and THAT is what should be addressed.

apprentice
apprentice
Yep. And she did survive. She survived the inferior version of the engine, at that. And it's not Karlach's body which fails due to the engine, it's the engine which fails because it's inferior.

This is exactly my point related to internal logic, no matter which string you pull to justify what there is now, you end up with a bunch of mismatched and randomly cut shoelaces.

Justice for Karlach
apprentice
apprentice
I think people are fine with that ending. At least I don't. It's just that I really dug a bunch of material and it feels like there just wasn't enough time for Karlach. She just needs more focus, her own extended story, and different endings. It's an extremely interesting character who deserves elaborate quests.

What I dislike about this thread is that people focus on the ending and how "Karlach deserves" something different. The truth is, Karlach is getting the short end of the stick for most of the game and THAT is what should be addressed.

I mean, Karlach in the story, as a person, definitely does not deserve the situation she is in and it's only natural that we'd want to help her. I'd say that's what people mean. It's hard not to sympathize. She's written that way. Extremely likeable. A compliment to her character, really.

As far as the supposedly intended story of her character goes literary-analysis wise, well, the ending would feel more 'deserved' if her quest was fully done first and foremost, as we've agreed.

Then the two viewpoints get overlaid, because, well, if she doesn't deserve that as a person AND quest-wise isn't given justice either, then surely BOTH of those things should be fixed, right? (I don't fully subscribe to that notion, however much I would love a happier end, but the general thread direction definitely comes from there. As in: if the lacking quest writing feels like an oversight, who's to say that her general ending isn't just a product of that oversight as well?)

And to be completely fair, only the devs know for sure which one it is.

Plus, the whole more recent 'ending she deserves' thing is the result of the unfortunate community update phrasing and like. As I said, as a person in the story she doesn't really deserve what she's getting, and that's the main thought people jump to. Not whether the epic narrative character send-off is suitable for her story-wise.
"A character who was sold into slavery 'deserves' to die or go back to the place of her trauma" isn't the message they indented, but it's one a lot of people read and got understandably pissed.
Miscommunication much.

(P.S. I will say, I personally think that in writing the whole 'The most sunshine character who's suffered some truly horrible shit doesn't have a happy ending because that's poignant or whatever' trope is kind of uninspired by this point, BUT I would definitely not be up in arms about it that much if it felt solid on all accounts. Well, a lie, I probably would still be, but I'd be writing fix-it stories, as I usually do when my favorites suffer unjustly in my opinion, not camping out on the developer's forum)

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
apprentice
apprentice
Dude, don't be an asshole and communicate respectfully.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh, not arguing against that ending, totally agree that it's a poingnant one should the right context be built through the proper gameplay choices! What's there is fine, what's not fine is what should be there, but isn't!

My point was that what information there is in the game does not support the railroading into
die, die but with tentacles, or three flavours of go to Hell.
. Every single detail points toward there being a fourth, happy ending for her, but it leads nowhere.

Which, as Nary A Care has so elloquently pointed out, is made all the worse through the fact that when playing as Karlach, she totally has a happy ending. Which is achieved through exactly the elements which go nowhere when having her as second fiddle.

Last edited by Arkaelus; 04/09/23 12:02 AM.

Justice for Karlach
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
(P.S. I will say, I personally think that in writing the whole 'The most sunshine character who's suffered some truly horrible shit doesn't have a happy ending because that's poignant or whatever' trope is kind of uninspired by this point, BUT I would definitely not be up in arms about it that much if it felt solid on all accounts. )

Honestly I have as almost big a problem with the painfully obvious tragedy-bait the current incarnation of her story has as I do with the story inconsistency itself. Like, I want to save Karlach because she's nice, and the fact that I can't in a choice based RPG sucks. I understand the people who like tragedy and like her ending to be tragic, however I don't think it's too much to ask to ALSO have an option that isn't so tragic, because again, this is a choice based RPG and through hard work and effort I feel like I should be able to get a good ending for the character I like.

apprentice
apprentice
Exactly. All choices can coexist just fine, and it's up to each individual player to decide what story they want to tell at the end of the day. The fact that such a choice is not available for every nuance, i.e.
for actually saving her
, detracts from the choice-based storytelling.

The argument that tragedy is artistically valid does not deny, nor coutermand the fact that it would not be affected in any way by the addition of a new ending (although it could be argued that it wouldn't be new, either, judging by the cut content, but whatever...).

Justice for Karlach
apprentice
apprentice
I agree. Our job is to just remind and let it show that we as players care about it

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vincke Game God
I agree. Our job is to just remind and let it show that we as players care about it

For sure. There are always going to be a few bad actors that want to bring the rain on a good thing. "Don't feed the trolls" has been a bit of a slogan in the feedback thread when negative people come around, typically it just boils down to them trying to provoke a reaction, or some strange mindset that only bad endings that feel entirely undeserved are good writing.

I'm glad that we've been able to foster a largely positive community around Karlach, and her getting the REAL ending she deserves at some point in the future. I think something I've striven for since day one is remaining positive, and upholding the hope of the community through this development cycle. I think at this point, Larian is more than aware, hell they essentially mentioned the community in the Patch 2 notes. While the Patch 2 extension really doesn't solve the issue, its not a fix that can come quickly. Voice acting, animation, writing, and so on, even though the solution to the wider issue is right there, the work to be done takes time.

Larian has done a great job thus far at addressing critique, and applying themselves to fix issues, but as I said, this isn't an issue that can be quickly pushed to a fix.

Stay positive, stay patient.

#JusticeForKarlach

apprentice
apprentice

Page 25 of 156 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard