Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for sharing explanations provided for Dark Urge, This makes more sense now, but even with everything else stated here it doesn't explain why Nautiloid started to kidnap people left and right, that wasn't a mission, it should have tried to just run as fast as possible.

old hand
old hand
Or, why they'd fly to Waterdeep, to pick upo Gale, and then return to Baldur's Gate to pick up the rest.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
B
old hand
old hand
B
It speaks volumes about the coherence of the plot that we have all this discussion about it yet no two posters can agree.

Boz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Faust-RSI
How come it had those tadpoles modified by the Absolut?
The crash was clearly caused by drunk driving, I agree.

I don't want to think about why my eye is itching.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Or, why they'd fly to Waterdeep, to pick upo Gale, and then return to Baldur's Gate to pick up the rest.
How would the Nautiloid even survive attacking Waterdeep?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
How would the Nautiloid even survive attacking Waterdeep?

By the usual means... activating it's plot armor.

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
I kinda accepted that it is better not to think of the game's story or character's motivations. It's just a collections of stuff from D&D that Larian thought would be cool to used, stitched together.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I kinda accepted that it is better not to think of the game's story or character's motivations. It's just a collections of stuff from D&D that Larian thought would be cool to used, stitched together.

I've begun to piece together the timeline of the last 100 years, and a lot of plot holes disappear if you down some wiki rabbit holes. There are still a lot of holes, but not as many as initially thought. For example:

The Dead Three have only been active as a team for the last 10 years, given Gorion's Ward probably died in 1482. They had to sacrifice some divinity to continue meddling on mortal affairs, demonstrating why they are so willing to exchange not having souls for an Illithid Empire in the Prime Material Plane. Myrkul only went to Ketheric 90 years after his defeat, as he was dead during that time, and basically used him as a puppet. As an extension of this idea, it is reasonable to see that both Orin and Gortash are more or less puppets of Bane and Bhaal, who don't really care about the interests of their chosen, but instead intend to use them to diminish the power of the other Gods by destroying/repurposing souls (depending on how much knowledge credit you want to give to the Dead Three) and to build up their own material capabilities by taking over the entirety of the Forgotten Realms. Ultimately, the antagonists serve the interests of their Masters, not their own, much as they think otherwise. You observe this when you try to redeem Ketheric.

The Elder Brain was in the vicinity of the Sword Coast for at least 450 years. It was likely the source of a large portion of Mind Flayer activity near Baldur's Gate for most, if not all, of the city's history. It was dominated only 8-10 years before the start of the game by the Crown of Karsus. This Elder Brain is likely very old, and had a Nautiloid hidden from its former days of glory. The Elder Brain would not have surfaced at all were it not for its being dominated. It is clear that it has been hiding for a long, long time. The Nautiloid is a rare planes-jumping device that was needed to steal the Astral Prism from Vlaakith. It was likely snatching people up as an emergency measure while being pursued by Githyanki to create more thralls on the go as cannon fodder. If you can create more soldiers to distract your pursuing enemy, why not. It couldn't go directly back to its home base, as it needed to lose the Githyanki pursuers, given a team of Gith with several Red Dragons would likely destroy the Elder Brain upon first contact.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I've begun to piece together the timeline of the last 100 years, and a lot of plot holes disappear if you down some wiki rabbit holes. There are still a lot of holes, but not as many as initially thought. For example:
It all checks out but to quote a bit of earlier from the same movie: I have gone cross eyed .

None of what you have written adds anything to the adventure (at least to me). It doesn’t make character motivations or situations you get into more interesting. It’s a very simple story, with very basic characters made unnecessarily complicated.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
It all checks out but to quote a bit of earlier from the same movie: I have gone cross eyed .

None of what you have written adds anything to the adventure (at least to me). It doesn’t make character motivations or situations you get into more interesting. It’s a very simple story, with very basic characters made unnecessarily complicated.
I agree. Larian sometimes substitutes believable and understandable, down-to-earth situations for the bombastic and convoluted. I had the same problem with Dallis and Lucian in DOS2, whereas the failed child Divine of Alexander was much clearer in the role he was meant to play.

addict
addict
I do wonder if people calling her Shart realise what a shart *is*.

That said, the story makes little sense to me in the beginning because in EA I did not get the tadpole dreams. I didn't know how to trigger them, because I wasn't using the powers.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
I do wonder if people calling her Shart realise what a shart *is*.

That said, the story makes little sense to me in the beginning because in EA I did not get the tadpole dreams. I didn't know how to trigger them, because I wasn't using the powers.
We know EXACTLY what it means; that’s WHY we call her that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard