Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 156 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 155 156
Originally Posted by Sunriders Destin
As someone with cardiac issues, I identified a lot with Karlach.

I don't need Larian to tell me my only two options are death or living hell. I already know, thank you.
Thank you for your input. This isn't about you.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, the Forums are always bursting at the seams. This thread alone exploded since more people reached the end, the new epilogue and PS5 release.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Raz415
Originally Posted by Sunriders Destin
As someone with cardiac issues, I identified a lot with Karlach.

I don't need Larian to tell me my only two options are death or living hell. I already know, thank you.
Thank you for your input. This isn't about you.

The impotent part is you made time to think of me ??

apprentice
apprentice
Why is this guy still in here trying his hardest to defend the current endings? Its so incredible selfish trying to block 1 EXTRA endings from anyone else that wants it just because you like the "bittersweet tragedy".

"Not everyone gets a happy ending in real life too" Yea, not shit sherlock. We dont have magic power and gods in real life too, so how does this logic even transfer? First you say "its just a game bro" but then you compare it with real life stuff as well?

How about you make up your mind, I mean I already know you're just here for the trolling, but I'm still curious

stranger
stranger
I think we might need moderators in here to deal with this Raz415 person. His behavior is a recurring problem.

Justice For Karlach!
apprentice
apprentice
They are already in here, but apparently its only 1 side getting warnings from the mods, I guess being an obvious troll is fair play

Troll or no, he kind of has a point though, in general that is.

Its really sad and I feel for anyone having heart issues, Trauma, or who gets stung by seeing certain events which might remind one of a bad memory, experience etc. I have a couple myself.

BUT, blaming a game and its developer set in a fantasy d&d setting for you reliving that, just isn't fair, period.

If every movie, game, book, play, comedian etc. had to cater to every persons health issues, trauma, personal beliefs, identity, experiences and so on, we would live in a really boring world, and very few interesting story arcs, villains, heroes, stories overcoming/coming to terms with adversity, conflict, character progression etc etc etc. would remain to us.

Its ok feeling hurt, and I can sympathize. However playing the victim card as one among the 0.0001% of the audience, isn't imo. Theres far too much of it going around.

Im not targeting anyone in particular with this, just a bit tired of these stabs at Larian from people who play the victim card, when its pretty obvious there are no bad intentions from Larian.
This goes for society at large as well.

PS: Karlach isnt going to Hell in the same sense as in religious RL, her soul has not been bought nor is it owned. If/when she dies, she will go through the same process every person in D&D Forgotten Realms go through. Having fought Devils and Demons and basically helped save the sword coast, she would easily be picked up by one of the "Good aligned deities. Im sure Tyr would like her, she got rid of impostor Paladins of Tyr.
She was with the people who saved (depending on your choices) one of Selunes offspring/chosen and helped fight Shar worshippers
. Mystra might even take her, Lathander the broken god would sympathize with her. She certainly fits with Helm, and I could go on...

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

F
Banned
Banned
F
Still, in a game where basically everyone can have happy ending or at least semi happy, only one character being locked out of it (despite her problem being quite easy to fix lorewise with many different options to do so) is a very poor and distasteful writing. Plus "real life" argument. Yeah, I always like to be listen about realism and real life in a game where I try to get Cthulhu out of my head, take part in a space war and literal divine interventions happen on daily basis. Very realistic all of that. And it's not like the premise of d&d is having fun and bending the rules as much as GM allows you, we totally need grimderp forced tragedy for ONLY one companion

B
Banned
Banned
B
Okay so since I just joined, let's list obvious problems current ending has, and why it's a terrible tragedy.
Dammon - he promised to figure something out, turns out he just can't, wow peak story telling. Why can't enriched infernal iron do the trick?
Gondians - why aren't we allowed to at least try?
Steel Watch - again, why aren't we allowed to at least try?
Divine intervention - how many gods can we ask for a favor? Does gods hate tiefliengs or something?
Mizora - they know each other and she kinda... Oh I don't know is known for making pacts with people? Why can't I make a pact to save Karlach? Also it would add some edge to the good ending.

Saying all that, people should realize this is NOT a good tragedy. There's this really old anime Chrno Crusade, and from the start you're told the main character has a pocketwatch that basically gives power at the cost of her life. That's it, no chances, no ways to restore her life, no way of getting the power differently. And she's desperate to save her brother, so you know this won't end well. With Karlach we get cheap hope baiting through the entire game, only to never be allowed to even try when solution is right in front of us.

G
stranger
stranger
G
If you follow D&D lore you should be happy you didn't end up have to chase down soul coins to even keep Karlach function at all. Imagine she would need one for each long rest or end up shut down.

B
Banned
Banned
B
If they would help at the end, why not? If we got an ending when she doesn't have to go back to hell but needs help with finding soul coins, and you would just go into the world to search for them, why not? Also I listed many arguments why the potential soul coin ending is not good either. And what's sad, it still would make more sense than the current one

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by BitterSchizo
If they would help at the end, why not? If we got an ending when she doesn't have to go back to hell but needs help with finding soul coins, and you would just go into the world to search for them, why not? Also I listed many arguments why the potential soul coin ending is not good either. And what's sad, it still would make more sense than the current one

Infernal engines is fueled by the souls of mortals. Like, lets take BitterSchizo, we squeeze out his soul and transform him into a soul coin... Now we put this soul coin into Karlach like a slot machine, and she work for another day... So lorewise, if you convince Karlach to have her return to Avernus, her life would be dependant on keep be fueled by souls of mortals. You can have her turn into a squid and crave brains in stead. ;p

B
Banned
Banned
B
Or you can use one of the billions ways I listed, and you didn't even care to read to fix or remove the damn thing.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Finally I was able to register here...
First of all, I want to say that I understand people who liked this "ending that it deserves". Ignoring the fact that this scene should have been in the game from the very beginning... Karlach's last words in Baldur's Gate 3 before patch 2 were "Okay. okay. But we need to leave. Immediately!" which most likely was not pleasant to all those who really liked Karlach and, moreover, built a romantic relationship with her.
But at the moment, the main problem is that for some reason, EXACTLY Karlach is the ONLY one who DOES NOT HAVE a good ending. It seems to me very dishonest to people who really got into the character and were willing to do ALL THE POSSIBLE to help her fulfill her simple human dream - to live in her hometown with her friends and the person she loves. I REALLY want to believe that Larian is REALLY listening to her fans (and Karlach's fans are definitely no less than Minthara's already) and will give us the opportunity to REALLY HELP Karlach in Act 3. Because at the moment we are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help her in Act 3 ...Like Dammon.
That's why we Karlach fans are still fighting for her happiness.
JUSTICE 4 KARLACH!

Last edited by Sad_Pepe1992; 05/09/23 06:29 AM. Reason: added some final words
B
Banned
Banned
B
How about that? We can accept the avernus ending if they address why every other way of saving her doesn't work. And I mean EVERY single one of them. If I have to choose the worst outcome I want to know why. How does that sound? Tell us why we can't do anything else and we will accept this. But let's be honest, at this point this would be no explanation, but mental flips about why certain character can't have a good ending. Come on it's DnD there's no such a thing as "impossible", that's the point

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by BitterSchizo
Or you can use one of the billions ways I listed, and you didn't even care to read to fix or remove the damn thing.

So you want Larian to start retcon D&D lore? Did you do a playthrough as Karlach being your protag, or just a love interest companion? Because there is a difference to that as well. What we wish for is not always within boundaries of what can be.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hi folks, I’ve been struggling to get on the forums much over the past couple of days as on the limited time I’ve had available to do so they’ve almost always seemed to be timing out.

I’ve only a couple of minutes just now but while the forums are working, a quick reminder to everyone to keep it civil, avoid personal jabs, and make an active attempt to keep disagreements constructive. And given this is a point on which opinions are going to differ, recognise when you have made your point and that it is time to agree to disagree and move on.

I have also sent a couple of contributors here private messages when I’ve managed to get them to send. Let’s restore peace here, and where we do have different perspectives discuss them in a respectful way.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Originally Posted by Odieman
PS: Karlach isnt going to Hell in the same sense as in religious RL, her soul has not been bought nor is it owned. If/when she dies, she will go through the same process every person in D&D Forgotten Realms go through. Having fought Devils and Demons and basically helped save the sword coast, she would easily be picked up by one of the "Good aligned deities. Im sure Tyr would like her, she got rid of impostor Paladins of Tyr.
She was with the people who saved (depending on your choices) one of Selunes offspring/chosen and helped fight Shar worshippers
. Mystra might even take her, Lathander the broken god would sympathize with her. She certainly fits with Helm, and I could go on...

Even if that's the case, that's neither in the story, nor should it be how her story ends. She was a character who strived for freedom but the game didn't let you even work towards it (as a companion). It stopped you from even trying. Her getting out of her predicament on a technicality does not conclude her arc, it just bypasses it.

It can't be the case that every other character can complete their arc but her. There is no narrative justification for that.

And the fact that playing as her does conclude her arc means that it is in fact possible to do so as a companion.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 05/09/23 07:34 AM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
That's the point, I don't call for retcon, just for a possibility to try something that was hinted. And if that doesn't work I want to know why

apprentice
apprentice
I agree.
I get it, everyone associates the character with their lives, but the worldwide trend of the perpetually disadvantaged is not going to help anything here. What does lesbianism, pansexuality, personal speculation and other stuff not related to the underdeveloped storyline have to do with it.

Page 27 of 156 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard