Listening to Swen's description of development, he delegates down to lowest level of authority to complete tasks, which he play tests. So we're encountering all styles of story throughout the game.

Can you elaborate a bit more on Halsin and Astarion being star companions? I don't quite get it. In my play throughs they weren't used much, saw little development and had minor endings.

I think I saw Halsin's ability scores and thought heck no, he needs higher strength (same as Minsc!). I had him do a few shadowcurse lands outings, but core companions already wore tailored gear and had developed party tactics, Halsin wasn't optimized nor synergised.

Astarion? Man, my devotion paladin was never really able to get his attitude very high, he'd always disapprove. Put him in camp whenever possible rather than suffer naggings.

Yeah, Hobson's choice for some companions who don't evolve much. For Minsc or Halsin you can take 'em or leave 'em. I guess I was thinking more Lae'zel and Shadowheart.

Talk about NPC who steal thunder, I've got a bone to pick with Dame Aylin
overdoing the paladin schtick. Talks in third person, has natural flight and if you take her words literally, which given her undying nature seems believable*, is an actual daughter of Selune. And what's with all the Jesus posing? (Withers too!)

Wow. The writer must have thought 'I'll show those paladin players what's what.' It's borderline DMPC antics to upstage the MC paladin. Nevermind she's only Fire elemental quality in actual fights.

*In a world with wizards and soul cages, this trait is a total liability. Given she's ageless, she'll be targeted endlessly and end up spending hundreds more years entrapped.