Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Caios
Originally Posted by CatXiphos
People who want to go the evil path with her still can if we have a good option to save her, you don't lose anything.
Who cares if other can recruit her on a good path, you play evil because you like to play evil, not for the exclusivity. This is some weird gate keeping.
More meaningful choices would mean to either join Minthara to raid or to save her in a way which doesn't include being a murderhobo.

Pretty much was going to say all of this.

I just don't get people who want to deny others some enjoyment because they'd rather enjoy things their way.
It's like people who are asking for a happy ending for Karlach, but other people chime in that they prefer her current endings for any number of reasons.

So what? How does having more options suddenly make your preferred options less in anyway?

No one is asking to remove what's in the game now. Adding a "good guy" option to Minthara does not impact an evil playthrough at all.

I suspect people are looking at this as a zero sum problem, that adding to the game means something is removed. Or that it will somehow diminish their choices. That's not really the case though.
One thing that would make a good compromise here? Make the "good guy" Minthara recruitment extra difficult, which it should be given the circumstances. It will add value to evil playthroughs since Minthara's recruitment would be significantly easier, but still give other players options if they want to go the extra mile for them. That's what people are asking for after all, an option, something more, which will only make the game better. No one is trying to take away from your game here.

You described it perfectly, I like the example with Karlach!
Imagine saying you don't want others to have a happy ending for her because you prefer the sad one.
Can you imagine telling a Karlach fan to just don't recruit her if you don't like her ending. And by knowing her situation, your choice of recruiting Karlach should have consequences?

I did recruit Minthara in my first playthrough, I LOVED Minthara even more after getting to know her, but hated the act1 decision I had to make to get her.
Originally I planned to get the game a second time on console because I prefer to play on that platform, but since I have to rely on a mod to recruit her on a good playthrough ( thank you Rukongai ),I don't have that option on console and therefore I don't have any intention right now to play BG3 again because I don't want to play this long journey without my favourite character (like a Karlach fan would not want to play without Karlach, or even worse being forced to kill her).

Minthara and Halsin could have really interesting banter, Shadowheart and Lae zel managed to share a camp after some "confrontations" as well.

Last edited by CatXiphos; 07/09/23 12:15 PM.
Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Originally Posted by Zenith
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Originally Posted by sijjvravisz
Nah. It's a true RPG-- your choice in the Grove should have consequences one way or another. Losing a good or bad character depending on your choices makes.
Right, but you only lose one if you choose good, and you lose three if you choose evil. And as has been pointed out many times prior-you lose out on a *lot* of content with no evil-exclusive equivalent content present to make up for it.

I don't think we'd be seeing threads like as much this if killing the tieflings resulted in a unique experience with it's own npcs, quest lines, story content etc that continues on over the next two acts, or if killing the goblins held *any* significant negative consequence in the game besides being unable to recruit Minthara.

The fact that Larian put so little comparative effort into fleshing out a major story branch that a third of their players took is pretty damning, IMHO.

It's wild that so many people are just so adamant about evil being equally rewarded as good beyond experiencing a different respective. They are not interchangeable narratives. If your narrative is about murdering, selfishness and domination, expect to be surrounded by less people. It's bad enough you get all the stat boosts like hag hair, tadpole power use RP without consequence, Slayer Form access, the most OP item and tadpole tree in dark urge playthrough with a cape that drops combat after assassination for repeat surprise attacks and invisibility. Good gets nothing but the extra companions and NPC's.
It' wild how so many people are adamant that players should be punished for playing evil, like it's some sort of moral obligation that the devs make sure they have a worse experience. I don't know how many people can lack the self awareness and empathy to realize that yes, people asking to be 'equally rewarded' for playing a path that they themselves personally aren't interested in is a reasonable expectation.

Seriously, the way I keep hearing 'evil players' painted is pretty patronizing. We aren't children who don't understand that if they don't play nice, they'll get grounded and the finger wagging isn't doing anyone any favors. The whole 'you are just experiencing the consequences of your actions' attitude is just so willfully ignorant of the grievances in discussion it's baffling.

Here's a thought: How about evil players get some actual multi-act sidequests and reappearing npcs? How about as 'consequences' there was some unique storyline involving, IDK the fallout of those dead tieflings following you act-to act? Volo stirring shit up like he threatened to do, do-gooders seek you out as antagonists in later acts, while evil-doers hear of your reputation and seek you out to make you a part of their plans? What if you could actually side with the Shadow Druids and do nefarious missions for them in Act II & III? what if Nere and the Militant Mycholar weren't cut content, and you had drow allies to work with later in the game? How about some memorable evil npcs from Act I returned later like Abdirak, etc. What if evil players had exclusive party members like good players did? or if there were returning evil party members from the Original games that were actually recruitable?

It really doesn't take much imagination to think of ways that the evil path could be anything other than a disappointing desert of content.

We don't have a full Upper City, Act 3 is a storm of cut content, Act 2 starts to sputter by the end, but you want a whole mirrored game experience with new companions and voice lines and quests because you feel the good guys who don't get the permanent stat boosts, the unique DU themed gear, or a Drow Paladin who's just had significant updates are getting something you chose to give up by siding with the fanatical murderers. And it's not even a desert in content because you only miss out on the storylines of good people you chose to murder and alienate to begin with. The main storyline is still there. You still explore the Underdark, still explore the Creche and follow the Vlaakith/Orpheus storyline, you still do the Ketheric main story with the Nightsong and Mausoleum, except you rescue Minthara, and then Act 3 is still largely the story of the Chosen and Absolute, and the best and most finished quests including Shadowheart, Raphael, Bhaal/Murder tribunals, Gortash, and the Netherbrain are still there. Missing out on Karlach and Wyll is not a desert of content. Those are the two companions besides Halsin with the least content in the game to begin with.

I'd settle for better hair *shrug*

She was prettier in EA

No. Actions need to have consequences, different playthroughs need to play different and you're free to make other choices further down the line. This isn't even in the spirit of BG1/2, where companions would just leave when they had enough of your behaviour (both evil companions and good companions).

Originally Posted by Necrofkz
Originally Posted by Sozz
I think you can still get her by resolving Kagah's quest then ignoring the conflict. You still miss out on Halsin, but you haven't committed genocide either
Aaaaand the tieflings die because of your inaction. And you miss on the story. And XP. And loot.

There's so much more XP available in this game than what you need for level 12, it's not even funny. Please tell me you didn't actually pretend that XP is a even close to a factor in going for a fast evil playthrough.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
No. I agree with the others who say there should be differences between going with the goblins or the druids/tieflings.

[quote=Mungrul]I mean, I would agree with the people saying "Keep her for the evil players" if she wasn't a good character whose best storyline is one of redemption.
This!

Originally Posted by fylimar
In BG 1 and 2 I didn't have to make a companion choice based on my good/evil playstyle. Why should I have less freedom in 3?
Now that's just an outright lie

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kr0w93
[quote=Mungrul]I mean, I would agree with the people saying "Keep her for the evil players" if she wasn't a good character whose best storyline is one of redemption.
This!

In BG 1 and 2 I didn't have to make a companion choice based on my good/evil playstyle. Why should I have less freedom in 3?

I never wrote that, please fix that quote asap. This isn't even funny because I don't care about that drow at all, I just want her armor and I advocated for her only being recruitable in an eval playthrough.

Last edited by fylimar; 07/09/23 06:33 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
You don't care about this character and her story, and yet you don't want other people who do care to have an option to save her on a not-evil playthrough?
Because she has a lot of different layers to her character which doesn't make her plain evil and would be perfect for a neutral run as well.

O
stranger
stranger
O
+1 mil
I don't think they will change it much, it's a lot of work, but I'm glad they listen to the fans and work on improving the game I would like to see the revised endings first

This!

I never wrote that, please fix that quote asap. This isn't even funny because I don't care about that drow at all, I just want her armor and I advocated for her only being recruitable in an eval playthrough.
I'll be perfectly honest, I completely botched that quote because I'm on my phone at work. The first part going "This!" wasn't even me lol

Apologies!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CatXiphos
You don't care about this character and her story, and yet you don't want other people who do care to have an option to save her on a not-evil playthrough?
Because she has a lot of different layers to her character which doesn't make her plain evil and would be perfect for a neutral run as well.
I'm sorry, but your precious drow was a Lolth sworn before was made into a tadpoled Absolutist. She is as evil, as it gets. And an evil playthrough should have special companions and stuff too. They already set the drow up as that, which makes sense.
Getting everything in one playthrough doesn't make sense.
But I don't really care, have the cake and eat it, I only wrote here because some user assigned a quote to me, I have never said and quite frankly is the opposite of my opinion.

Last edited by fylimar; 08/09/23 03:59 AM.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
This!

I'll be perfectly honest, I completely botched that quote because I'm on my phone at work. The first part going "This!" wasn't even me lol

Apologies!

Accepted, but please modify your post. Or delete it and redo it.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
As much as I would love to recruit Minthara without dooming the Tieflings (Druids can go to hell), I think it is the right decision to keep her exclusive to a neutral/evil playthrough.

And yes, it would take something away from the evil route if you make her accessible for a good playthrough and that is the consequence and reward for their decision.

Making everything accessible for everyone never worked out well for an RPG and where are choices, there must be consequenses and rewards.

I admit that its a bit unbalanced that you lose a whole lot of content in order to recruit her.

enthusiast
enthusiast
its a game-y arbitrary reward that doesn't make sense internally, just in the meta though. Consequences and outcomes are important, IF they make sense, not if they're hollow and just there for outside of game/story reasons.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Raz415
No. Actions need to have consequences, different playthroughs need to play different and you're free to make other choices further down the line. This isn't even in the spirit of BG1/2, where companions would just leave when they had enough of your behaviour (both evil companions and good companions).
...and yet you could have kept all of them with enough charisma and some creativity. I can kill a squirrel for Minthara. Maybe. Or kick a beggar. Maybe.

stranger
stranger
She was Lolth sworn, doesn't take away her self reflection and neutral character traits after freeing her. She has great "redemption arc" qualities. She is not good, neither is Astarion.
A lot of people don't like they don't have an option to save her while being good.
You can alse save Khaga, and she is pretty evil.

The people who want to play evil do it for the sake of playing evil, Minthara is just a bonus. Many play evil only to get Minthara and would love to have more options in an rpg to safe her. You can see it by the many comments in the internet, reddit posts, discord etc.
Consequences are great if you are given an amount of options, but in this case it's just black and white while you have a lot more options to decide the fate of other characters. This feels forced.

Right now the evil path is like a sidekick experience compared to the way the game was supposed to be played (not being stupid evil)
It's great for those who want that experience, bitter for those who like her character.

So you are always forced to go evil if you want her, but you can immediately jump on the good path after recruiting her and she doesn't mind (it feels very natural to have her on a neutral run). If Wyll and Karlach leave you after doing something really evil, why doesn't Minthara leave you when you do something really good? Atypical for an exclusive evil character.
So it would make sense to have her on a neutral playthrough as well. Sadly the community seems to be really split on this topic because of the way she is portrayed. Most will keep seeing her as the crazy evil goblin leader, not her beautiful character which is locked behind this path.

If you like consequences and exclusivity so much, then Karlach and Wyll should be exclusive as well. His Patron wants to kill her, so there should be consequences if you choose either side. But you have the option to save both.
Shadowheart and Lae zel should be exclusive as well, no? They even try to kill each other if you dont convince them. But you have the option to save both.

Last edited by CatXiphos; 08/09/23 09:33 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I do feel like a lot of people in this thread have either forgotten or never noticed that you do not need to help her attack the grove to recruit her.
You *only* have to not kill her. (Knockout still counts as kill because game.)
The tieflings still die off screen, sure, but not by your hand, and the grove survives.
Which also means you can have Minthara alongside Karlach and Wyll.
....I still agree you should be able to spare and recruit her while saving the tieflings though.
Because if you kill enough of the goblins that should save the tieflings by virtue of their not being a goblin army left to attack them, regardless of whether or not you deal with the leaders.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Would love for an actual option to recruit her. I don't care about her romance but I wanna actually get to know the character, but I refuse to kill the Tieflings in the grove, I love them too much.

S
stranger
stranger
S
IMO the main issue with locking Minthara behind a stupid evil decision to massacre a bunch of innocents for dubious personal gain is that *she* is very much not that character. Minthara is definitely still evil after you recruit her, but she's extremely practical *lawful* evil, and she even calls you out on slaughtering the tieflings, implying that in your position (absent a compelling reason) she wouldn't have done the same. If we got someone like Korgan for killing the tieflings, it would make a lot more sense, because the companion you get lines up with choice you made, but there's a clear disjunct there with Minthara - and gating her behind THIS choice seems arbitrary when there are many ways she could survive your encounter and still end up in her 'starting position' in Act 2.

Slight digression: A lot of people are talking about the lack of content for an evil playthrough, and I actually think it's less a lack of content and more a failure to properly gate content behind actually evil choices, such that it's only readily available to evil characters. For instance, it's easy to see an evil-aligned character infliltrating the cult for answers/potentially seeking to take control of it, and working with the cult for that purpose. The problem is that all of this content is easily available to a good character - everyone assumes you're a genuine True Soul at the outset, so you get the run of the goblin camp and moonrise towers without even trying, and no-one actually requires you to do anything particularly evil until the end of each respective Act. IMO, both of these areas should have been gated behind some pretty morally dubious actions (and/or actually difficult skill checks) such that this content is significantly curtailed unless you're willing to get your hands dirty. At minimum, Moonrise should not be fully open to you if you side with the Harpers against the Drider at the start of the act, PARTICULARLY as you find out later that the Chosen are aware that there is a rogue true soul running around with the Astral Prism.

It's also a bit jarring that none of the Absolute's minions seem to communicate...like, at all. You can slaughter every true soul you come across in Act 1, kill the Drider in Act 2, and generally make it clear to anyone with functioning eyes that you are *not a friend* to the cult, but no one ever really seems to call you on it until you openly declare war on them. These are high level characters with access to powerful scrying magic, and even failing that, it's unlikely that you've slaughtered your way through the absolute's forces without leaving any survivors to report back. The cult should at least be aware of the major highlights of your previous actions, but they just...aren't.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard