Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
stranger
stranger
C
Well, he is kinda right that if he doesn't suffer any penalty when killing the owlbears, then he should not suffer it when an uncontrollable NPC hits the cub.

Of course, hiring the ogres might be worthy of an oathbreak, but that's a different subject.

Last edited by Connacht; 06/09/23 06:04 PM.

?
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
When you meet the owlbears in the cave and don't talk your way out of it don't they attack? So it's a little different. When the cub is on its own in the goblin camp it's been captured.

M
stranger
stranger
M
In some campaigns you could have been considered an Oathbreaker simply for allying with chaotic evil monsters.

This one’s on you, bro.

If you want to play a morally gray character, maybe Oathbreaker is the applicable Paladin subclass but you might have been better off with another class entirely.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
This is, in fact, entirely from your control.
The use of the ogres is extremely clear.
When you summon them, they kill everyone around that isn't you and your 3 party members.
Everyone.
If you summoned them in the grove, that would be you personally executing every single tiefling and druid.
If you summon them next to the cub, that is you personally executing the cub.
It's not a situation you get to call outside your control.
This happening was 100% your fault.

That said, outside OPs example, there is something to be said for Paladins having their oaths break without it being their fault, albeit because of the matter of multiplayer.
I joined a friend as a Paladin because they lacked in frontline and CHA. I was talking to the tieflings with 'Zel in the cage.
They attacked the tieflings while I was in dialogue, and my oath broke after the fight even though I did not attack them at any point myself.
It was funny really, I was in the game for less than 2 minutes before they broke it.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Don't summon the ogres if there is someone around you want Alive, they started smashing the gnomes during the fight with nere as well, eventually had to melt them with lava during grym encounter in my last act 1 fight, to finally get the Smart hat

Originally Posted by Fluff
Nah, sounds valid to me - you're the one that called bloodthirsty ogres into a fight. Did you expect for them to uphold your moral code?

The melodrama sounds hilarious though. You could just reload a save. Or, if your high moral standard doesn't permit it, live and learn from the mistake.

This. The oh-so-wise paladin summoned evil, bloodthirsty, fleshing ogres when they SPECIFICALLY STATED that they will kill and eat EVERYONE when summoned. Seethe, Oathbreaker.

PS: It's not even such a big deal in BG3, you can easily take up your oath again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard