Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Ashvins Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
So running thru the Goblin camp in Act I, I summoned Lump and gang to help with the fight outside. Earlier I let the owlbear cub live (sucking up to shadowheart after looting the Selune chest) so it was in the camp. Lump and gang killed it during the fight (nothing I can do to stop this, cub attacked them). Once the fight is over I get a COMPLETE AND TOTAL B.S. cutscene for Breaking my oath.

I did not do anything with any party member to break my Paladin's Oath. A summoned NPC I have NO CONTROL OVER killed the cub, after the cub attacked the NPC. I'm sorry Larian this IN NO FUCKING WAY should have broken my Oath.

Not only do I have a fee to regain my oath. I now have a Permanent, Unwanted, NPC in my camp.

Sorry Larian, BAD GAME DESGIN, in my book crap like this lowers my rating of your game by a LARGE amount.

This is the only instance I've run across that breaks a paladins Oath with out reason. I see no way that my paladins oath should be broken by this. If I could control Lump and gang that would be different. But as it is , in effect I'm charged,tried,& convicted with Murder for calling the cops, having them kill someone.

Fix this oath breaking event so that if none of the controllable NPC or Main character attacks or harms the cub it does NOT trigger oath breaking.

A
Ashvins Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I'll admit I'm so pissed off about this that I have to stop playing for the day at the least, (if i decide to run the fight again). I may stay pissed until this is fixed and not play until it is. Or if you at Larian treat this like Activision or E.A. would (do nothing and ignore it) my opinion of your company and this game by extension would get you a 1 star review for treating your customers like mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed shit).

F
stranger
stranger
F
Nah, sounds valid to me - you're the one that called bloodthirsty ogres into a fight. Did you expect for them to uphold your moral code?

The melodrama sounds hilarious though. You could just reload a save. Or, if your high moral standard doesn't permit it, live and learn from the mistake.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Wow making games for supernerds must be the worst.

A
Ashvins Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Nope, but I should not be penalized for an NPC's actions if I have no control over the NPC. Oath breaking for killing the Tieflings holding Laezel, fine Oathbreaking for letting Auntie Ethel live, again fine. Both choices I have to actively make in dialogue. Hell I could even kill the cub with it's mother with a paladin in the group and not break my oath.

But I take mercy and let it live only to have it later die thru the actions of NPC's , thus causing an Oath break is not right.

IMO a completely bad interpretation of the Oath of a Paladin on Larian's part.

Seriously , why is this even considered a possibility to cause a broken oath. Explain it to me like you would a 5 year old. I do good I keep my oath, I do bad I break my oath. Should be that simple. A twisted interpretation of the Oath is the only way I can see that my characters actions could be considered breaking my oath.

If I kill it with mom, no oath broken. It dies because the Goblins captured it and it chose to attack those attacking the Goblins (it's captor) Oath broken. How the fuck does that reflect in any way on my character? How does that break my oath, hmmm?

I didn't attack or harm it, it attacked first (Lump the Enlightened to be specific). Before it attacked Lump, it was showing with a yellow circle (aka neutral) Neither I nor my summoned NPC's attacked the Owlbear cub prior to it's aggression.

I just can't wrap my mind around how this incident could even come close to my Paladin breaking Her Oath.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Your logic is awful and your rage is hysterical.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Gentlemen-- contain yourselves! This quarrel sours our feast. Besides-- tastes like reload.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
You're right. You should have been penalized way ahead of time, for actually not slaughtering the evil man-eating Ogres.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
addict
addict
Paladin who ally themselves with Ogres??? lmao, your oath should be broke when you made that deal with ogre, charlatan! Begone!

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
You're right. You should have been penalized way ahead of time, for actually not slaughtering the evil man-eating Ogres.

+1

veteran
veteran
Yeah, hiring the ogres sound like a perfect way to break your oath.
You are supposed to be good and hired a gang of people, that you just caught eating a tiefling and talking about, how other races taste? I would have handed you the broken oath directly. Larian was being generous here. But then ( surprise, surprise) the ogres killed an innocent, because you summoned them - of course that is a broken oath. Your actions have consequences.
Besides, if you instead kill the ogres, like a good pally should, then you get a nice item.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Boz Offline
journeyman
journeyman
You are right, they should fix this. The moment you let the ogres live is when you're supposed to break your oath.

I don't want to think about why my eye is itching.
veteran
veteran
BTW, what oath are we talking about and are you sure killing the owlbear was the reason?

Oath of devotion? - Owlbears are monsters so I see no reason to protect them. Maybe you broke the oath by attacking the goblins, in case they did not attack you first.
Attacking people without warning is bad, even if they are evil people.

Oath of the abcients? - You are supposed to respect life. Killing the owlbear or the goblins without them attacking you first would be bad.

Oath of vengeance? - No mercy for the wicket. Not killing the ogres should have broken the oath.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ashvins
[...] A summoned NPC I have NO CONTROL OVER [...]

You had control over a group of NPCs getting summoned in the first place. In an area with innocents. While you dont have control over what these summons would do.

Basically your logic is you only exploded the bomb, but you didnt tell the victims to stand close to the bomb, thus you cant possibly be blamed for the bomb killing them.

T
stranger
stranger
T
You literally found them snacking on a tiefling, as paladin you can even threat them to brand them just so they wont attack you and if you recruit them one line literally goes as "ogre kill EVERYONE around,and then ogre eats them" if you as paladin where ok with ogre help , i agree with upper comments your oath should be broken the moment you enlist their help ,is like the description of the class and oaths does not exist at all for some.

A
Ashvins Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Ok first I had no Paladin when I recruited the trolls. I don't know about you all but changing my companions for the situation I'm going into is common for me. Second I tested this out some (the situation with the owlbear cub) even without summoning Lump and gang in one of the playthroughs of the fight the gobbo's set some stuff on fire as gobbo's love to do. One of their little fire bombs did damage to the cub, causing it to agro me ??????? Which ended with the same result. Broken Oath.

So after my initial rage fest over this I still feel it is broken. I just threw Lazel in and let her kill, to not have a broken oath over a broken quest/encounter.

The whole thing is a little complex if you want the Owlbear cub in your camp, as it should be. But if I can kill the cub with the mother without suffering an Oath break incident, why when it dies later in the Goblin Camp fight should I have an Oath break incident? Then end result is the same (dead Owlbear cub) in either case it's just how you got there. While that does make a difference the ONLY class to get a negative affect is the Paladin even if you don't use the Oger's and the cub gets hurt in anyway. (The cub goes red and attacks if it get's injured in the fight even if it is not by any action the characters take)

Test it yourselves, I did 10 times in total. Every time the cub is injured it gets aggressive and attacks, from that point there is only one outcome for a Paladin.

Broken Oath.

Last edited by Ashvins; 06/09/23 04:02 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
For that reason I usually get the owlbear cub before attacking the goblins.

I talk my way into getting it for free and I don't bother attacking the goblins outside before going inside to take out the leaders.

addict
addict
Then don't summon the ogres there. It's unnecessary.

old hand
old hand
You hurt the Owlbear Cub? Even indirectly? By Helm, if not for The Order, the Gods would surely smite man for such sins. And, apparantly they did. Yay for the Gods!

Seriously, though. 'Ogres kill everyone around' - what's not to get, here?

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Dude, ogre kill everyone around, then ogre eats them.

You knew that. It's not like the game didn't warn you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard