Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Old Soul
I do feel like a lot of people in this thread have either forgotten or never noticed that you do not need to help her attack the grove to recruit her.
You *only* have to not kill her. (Knockout still counts as kill because game.)
The tieflings still die off screen, sure, but not by your hand, and the grove survives.
Which also means you can have Minthara alongside Karlach and Wyll.
....I still agree you should be able to spare and recruit her while saving the tieflings though.
Because if you kill enough of the goblins that should save the tieflings by virtue of their not being a goblin army left to attack them, regardless of whether or not you deal with the leaders.

people haven't forogtten the meta gamey exploit and no one would do thought a wiki page or guide telling them, we just ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY and can people stop 'um actually'ing with this game-y exploit as a solution to this problem in every thread it comes up in as it has ZERO to do with this conversation and isn't a solution.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by StormUndying
Slight digression: A lot of people are talking about the lack of content for an evil playthrough, and I actually think it's less a lack of content and more a failure to properly gate content behind actually evil choices, such that it's only readily available to evil characters. For instance, it's easy to see an evil-aligned character infliltrating the cult for answers/potentially seeking to take control of it, and working with the cult for that purpose. The problem is that all of this content is easily available to a good character - everyone assumes you're a genuine True Soul at the outset, so you get the run of the goblin camp and moonrise towers without even trying, and no-one actually requires you to do anything particularly evil until the end of each respective Act. IMO, both of these areas should have been gated behind some pretty morally dubious actions (and/or actually difficult skill checks) such that this content is significantly curtailed unless you're willing to get your hands dirty. At minimum, Moonrise should not be fully open to you if you side with the Harpers against the Drider at the start of the act, PARTICULARLY as you find out later that the Chosen are aware that there is a rogue true soul running around with the Astral Prism.

It's also a bit jarring that none of the Absolute's minions seem to communicate...like, at all. You can slaughter every true soul you come across in Act 1, kill the Drider in Act 2, and generally make it clear to anyone with functioning eyes that you are *not a friend* to the cult, but no one ever really seems to call you on it until you openly declare war on them. These are high level characters with access to powerful scrying magic, and even failing that, it's unlikely that you've slaughtered your way through the absolute's forces without leaving any survivors to report back. The cult should at least be aware of the major highlights of your previous actions, but they just...aren't.
+1 Good point.

Every time I encountered new Absolute cultists after saving the Grove, I expected someone to recognize me or at least be decently suspicious of me. But no, everyone in Act 2 is perfectly happy to believe that I'm a loyal Absolutist - even though, as @StormUndying mentions, "the Chosen are aware that there is a rogue true soul running around with the Astral Prism." This got more and more unbelievable each time, after I had taken more and more public actions against the cult in previous encounters.

So yes, good characters essentially get much of the Evil Playthrough for free without having to do anything bad. And what does this leave for the dedicated "Evil Path"? Chaotic Evil Genocide of refugees.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Starshine
I do feel like a lot of people in this thread have either forgotten or never noticed that you do not need to help her attack the grove to recruit her.
You *only* have to not kill her. (Knockout still counts as kill because game.)
The tieflings still die off screen, sure, but not by your hand, and the grove survives.
Which also means you can have Minthara alongside Karlach and Wyll.
....I still agree you should be able to spare and recruit her while saving the tieflings though.
Because if you kill enough of the goblins that should save the tieflings by virtue of their not being a goblin army left to attack them, regardless of whether or not you deal with the leaders.

people haven't forogtten the meta gamey exploit and no one would do thought a wiki page or guide telling them, we just ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY and can people stop 'um actually'ing with this game-y exploit as a solution to this problem in every thread it comes up in as it has ZERO to do with this conversation and isn't a solution.

I am not talking about an exploit.
You are SUPPOSED to be able to recurit Minthara without helping her attack the Grove. It is entirely intended.
She even has dialogue with both Karlach and Wyll, because it is completely intended to be able to have them in the party together.

The only thing that was an exploit, is screwing with Halsin's dialogue/quest and sequence breaking to get him and Minthara. That's the only combination of characters that isn't supposed to happen.

If you proceed to the mountain/act 2 without killing the leaders, it completes the "help the tieflings quest" with "you didn't help the tieflings and they died in an ambush" and Minthara moves on to be recruitable in Act 2.
Neither Karlach nor Wyll leaves the party, because you didn't do anything to make them see you as an enemy. You just didn't do a particular side quest. You stayed out of it, and the story moves forwards with the results of you staying out of it.

stranger
stranger
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Really don’t understand the argument about your choices matter when more options mean that your choices are actually more impactful. Hell even make it more difficult, if you free her in the goblin camp make it so you have to fight your way out through the whole camp.

veteran
veteran
... You do know the tieflings survive and have story in all 3 acts if the goblins leaders are killed, right?
If the tieflings survive the grove, they'll be ambushed going through the shadowlands. How many survive might be a factor. If you stop the rite of thorns peacefully, they aren't killed on the bridge leading to the village, they'll be ambushed in the shadowlands, same as if you had killed every leader.

There might be more iterations, but those are the three I've seen so far. So if you want the Zevlor betrayal storyline, and Minthara, you don't have to kill the Tieflings or the leaders, you just have to resolve the conflict between the druids and the tieflings so that they're not pushed out of the grove.

It doesn't actually make a lot of continuity sense, you can travel back to the goblin camp with Minthara, and no one really acknowledges it, but there you go.

Last edited by Sozz; 09/09/23 06:31 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
OP - MInthara is Evul! and will not care for you if you don't kill the Tieflings. She will kill YOU.

stranger
stranger
I've just reached Act 3 on a Dark Urge/evil playthrough and honestly? There's absolutely no reason for Minthara to be tied to the destruction of The Grove. If we were able to knock her unconcious or talk her down at the Goblin Camp, her recruitment at Moonrise and the subsequent story would not be any different (and what a great story she has!).

There are other characters in our party that are...not great people, and folks have no issue with them being available to recruit. Minthara would also be another good character to work alongside Astarion trying to convince the player on the merits of tadpoling and domination.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Sozz
... You do know the tieflings survive and have story in all 3 acts if the goblins leaders are killed, right?
If the tieflings survive the grove, they'll be ambushed going through the shadowlands. How many survive might be a factor. If you stop the rite of thorns peacefully, they aren't killed on the bridge leading to the village, they'll be ambushed in the shadowlands, same as if you had killed every leader.

There might be more iterations, but those are the three I've seen so far. So if you want the Zevlor betrayal storyline, and Minthara, you don't have to kill the Tieflings or the leaders, you just have to resolve the conflict between the druids and the tieflings so that they're not pushed out of the grove.

It doesn't actually make a lot of continuity sense, you can travel back to the goblin camp with Minthara, and no one really acknowledges it, but there you go.

Some. Some tieflings die in the shadow. The rest are save-able, and make it to act 3. As opposed to all dying in act 1.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Buba68
OP - MInthara is Evul! and will not care for you if you don't kill the Tieflings. She will kill YOU.

That's true of True Soul Minthara. Once she's free of her tadpole, she's a much more practical brand of evil, and calls you out for killing the tieflings (unless you had a good reason for doing so). While it makes sense that Act 1 Minthara wouldn't want anything to do with you unless you exterminate the Tieflings (hence no goblin party and no Act 1 romance), Act 2-3 Minthara is motivated by her oath of vengeance against Orin and the Cult of the Absolute. If anything she should be MORE motivated to join you if you've been in opposition to the cult up to that point.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by CatXiphos
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Is that a repost from the subreddit? Without any additional commentary?
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
stranger
stranger
I'm the creator of this meme, but maybe I should have clarified that sooner. smile
I made this meme to emphasize that you have more options for other companions which ensure a lot more people can enjoy them together in a party and don't lock you into an "either-or" decision.

Last edited by CatXiphos; 10/09/23 02:59 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by CatXiphos
I'm the creator of this meme, but maybe I should have clarified that sooner. smile
I made this meme to emphasize that you have more options for other companions which ensure a lot more people can enjoy them together in a party and don't lock you into an "either-or" decision.
[Linked Image from media2.giphy.com]

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Using memes to garnish your argument is liable to backfire around here. At least it did for me.

stranger
stranger
I know I'm echoing others, but

I do think it's not a great choice to have her clocked away behind the act 1 choice like the is. It doesn't make enough sense with her character, or her 'story arcs' etc.

So yeah, +1 all the way.

apprentice
apprentice
I'm in Act 3 with her, and at least if you play as Durge, I think it makes total sense with her character that she is only available for an evil group. I don't want to spoil anything, but afaik as I can tell you can't lead her into a good/bad direction like with origin characters (if I didn't unintentionally lock her into the evil road at some point, or there is a surprise ending).

She isn't a "mindless butcher" kind of evil, but what she wants is just not possible to do with a good group in my view. If you go down the evil road though, she is a great adviser and cheerleader. : )

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Caelir
I'm in Act 3 with her, and at least if you play as Durge, I think it makes total sense with her character that she is only available for an evil group. I don't want to spoil anything, but afaik as I can tell you can't lead her into a good/bad direction like with origin characters (if I didn't unintentionally lock her into the evil road at some point, or there is a surprise ending).

She isn't a "mindless butcher" kind of evil, but what she wants is just not possible to do with a good group in my view. If you go down the evil road though, she is a great adviser and cheerleader. : )

Play with her as a character who makes all the good options post-recruiting her, and after seeing the dialogue and perspectives she has then see if you can say the same. She sees power in doing the right thing, she fits better in a 'good' party than Astarion and no one would back an argument to have him leave the group if you don't kill the teefs and deny the entire teef content for the rest of the game.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Starshine
Originally Posted by Caelir

Play with her as a character who makes all the good options post-recruiting her, and after seeing the dialogue and perspectives she has then see if you can say the same. She sees power in doing the right thing, she fits better in a 'good' party than Astarion and no one would back an argument to have him leave the group if you don't kill the teefs and deny the entire teef content for the rest of the game.

I think I tried to do that (I wanted to see what happens, taking different options so did a lot of savings, both good/evil, there is a limit of course though what you can do in one playthrough) and her own story is of course harsh and all (she explains that whether you take a good or evil road), but even when she is not controlled by the Absolute anymore, besides loyalty to you, she always is on the side of the pro-evil option (Shadowheart going Shar, La-zael siding with Vlaakith, Durge going full on his path and so forth). Her ultimate goal seems to be becoming the best tyrant there is (or co-tyrant). Astarion is different, at least for me (you have a much wider range where you can take him).

She isn't portrait as a mindless killer who just kills for fun, like an Orin character, but still ultimately has evil goals through and through. Which isn't bad either. Not all characters have to be in a grey area, and in my view they made her proper evil without being a mustache twirling psycho.

As I mentioned, I didn't play with Minthara on a Tav character, that could be totally different.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
RPG fans so obsessed with 'more options!!!11' that they don't realize that having an objective best ending invalidates any choice aside from that which leads to said ending; imagine wanting difficult situations that actually require hard choices that require thought about what your character values or would do, instead of just being able to look up 'ideal solutions flowchart' online and turn off your brain.

M
stranger
stranger
M
First things first I never got the kill bill showdown between Laezel and Shadowheart. Yes they banter a lot, trying to get on annoy one another but for me it always was more like in DA Origins with Alistair and Morrigan. So you really had to ignore one of them to come to that point.

Second. I agree that Minthara should get the chance to join without starting war crimes but under certain conditions. I think the best way would be to make more out of the grove location situation. It bugged me playing hunter and wanting to use my knowledge to lure them into a trap and get called out for betraying the grove. Because there is no option for winking at your allies making them understand we'll use it to our advantage. The progress of this scenario would be pretty similar but this time with the clear intend to "devide and conquer" for better chances of the grove survival. Instead of I betray the grove only to walk to Zelvor to say I changed my mind let's defend.

Compagnion Quest Unexpected Alliance:

- find Minthara and tell her about the grove (dialog option: lie you help her to lure into trap)
- prepare the trap with Zelvor
- fight the battle against the army
- when winning you see Minthara fleeing the battlefield or in combination by giving her the joice to live
- because of her failure, she'll be send to moonrise tower
- rest of the leader can be killed for Halsin (optional)
- Moonrisetower you can recruit her as usual (Halsin will oppose high dialogue check to win him over)
- Minthara still no good goodshoes but sees you as the best chance for payback on the absolute (the enemy of my enemy is my friend)

Concerning Wyll and Karlach I would love this to have more consequences. Wyll in total should have more hard decisions prepared by Mizora to make. For example everytime he goes against her will, he gets more deformed maybe a buff to fire resistance but a debuff to ice and holy damage. Wyll in that regard should also be available for an evil playthrough. It's quite easy just let Mizora set the stage for that, maybe she wants the Refugees dead cause she made a deal with Zariel getting their souls back to Avernus. Wyll has to decide what to do. Following her mistress order gives him more boons to his abilities but he also looses more and more his humanity on the road. In the end even trying to betray you for pushing him to this.

Last edited by Mendon; 12/09/23 02:34 PM.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard