Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 157 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 156 157
Y'all, "one quest" is still not a willy-nilly thing to add, especially along all the other fixes that still need to be made in general. The extended epilogue alone that we got with Patch 2 took three weeks to make, if I remember correctly.

If they will address this problem (if at all) through many small patches adding unfinished or rushed pieces of it all just to "calm us down", it will be obvious and no one will be happy with that, not them, not us.

If we're unhappy about how something was done the first time, then I'd much rather they do it right the second time (I don't count the patch since it's an extension of an existing thing not quest stuff), not, like. The fifth. I'd also much rather no one has to crunch for it.

I personally would prefer to wait longer and receive The Quest (and hopefully The Ending Variation, but yada yada) than a bunch of band aids. Come on now, we're not babies, we can wait. And if we talk about "justice" then I think we all agree that this character deserves quality. And quality takes time.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
stranger
stranger
Karlach deserves to have a happy ending and I think most--if not every--Karlach fan can agree to that. So I'm sure Larian will see that we really want to be able to fix her engine and add a quest as soon as they're able to get the team together. With so many people calling for it, I'm feeling positive about the eventual outcome.

Justice for Karlach
apprentice
apprentice
Two weeks, if be more specific.
If they use gondians quest (which is currently useless for the game and story) and rewrite it as Karlach quest, I think it doesn't take more than 2-3 month. Just make 1 good end cutscene and a pack of new dialogue for gondiands and Karlach, maybe for Dammon if they wanna include him too.

Justice for Karlach!
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Dungeons and Dragons is just fundamentally not a good place to have unsolvable problems.

We're talking about a world where mortals regularly become almost-gods but we can't fix Karlachs engine because it's, like, kinda old?

OK buddy. And I'll just pretend I haven't been walking around with a scroll of True Ressurection for 10 levels.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
Y'all, "one quest" is still not a willy-nilly thing to add, especially along all the other fixes that still need to be made in general. The extended epilogue alone that we got with Patch 2 took three weeks to make, if I remember correctly.

If they will address this problem (if at all) through many small patches adding unfinished or rushed pieces of it all just to "calm us down", it will be obvious and no one will be happy with that, not them, not us.

If we're unhappy about how something was done the first time, then I'd much rather they do it right the second time (I don't count the patch since it's an extension of an existing thing not quest stuff), not, like. The fifth. I'd also much rather no one has to crunch for it.

I personally would prefer to wait longer and receive The Quest (and hopefully The Ending Variation, but yada yada) than a bunch of band aids. Come on now, we're not babies, we can wait. And if we talk about "justice" then I think we all agree that this character deserves quality. And quality takes time.

I can't agree more here. I, personally, wouldn't want to see another band aid or an extension to an existing ending. And yeah, just imagine how much work and time "one quest" might take... VOs for every possible outcome, possible group banter / reactions to Tav's actions, mocap, coding. I periodically read through patch notes comment section on Steam and every time I go through new comments it makes me realise how much work they have on their hands now, it's crazy! Mac people still can't play the game at all for example, every new hotfix brings more problems and bricks some people's saves etc.

I also am ready to wait longer (for as long as it might take) to get the ending Karlach TRULY deserves - a good one where she stays in Faerun with her friends (given they are going to add a happy ending at all). And don't get me wrong here, if, by some miracle, Larian decide to make "Karlach's new quest packed with a happy ending" a number one priority, I wouldn't mind at all, it'll make me very happy, but realistically, I think they will be addressing performance issues first, optimize the game further, work towards releasing the game for Mac users, prepare for Xbox launch yadda yadda. Bottom line is, again, I'm happy to wait for as long as needed.

And a little remark. It actually warms my heart how many people have come here to share their opinions on the matter, I'd like to thank you all, folks. I was worried I'll be the only one displeased with Karlach's arc and endings. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Last edited by Mighty Melvo; 08/09/23 10:07 PM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
If they adress this sure, I can wait. I just don't get why should I be willing to wait year or more for DE, when all the problems can be solves by adding one extremely quick quest. Sure it can't be done instantly, but don't tell me adding one fetch quest takes months. Her 2 quests can be done in one minute, the third one can be like that too

B
Banned
Banned
B
And her engine isn't even some forgotten piece of technology or whatever, nobody is surprises that she has it. Random refugee in the middle of nowhere x2 can modify it, but you're telling me a permanent solution is impossible because... That's right because what exactly? There is literally zero explanation and not being able to solve this just makes no sense in this setting

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sunriders Destin
Dungeons and Dragons is just fundamentally not a good place to have unsolvable problems.

This is quite true, and it's especially true in the Forgotten Realms, where all sorts of deus ex machina pop up everywhere all the time. Sometimes they're literally gods.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by tarraxahum

I agree with the author of this post. Karlach undoubtedly deserves more than she has now (now she is essentially the ONLY doomed character of ALL our party members in any case). She also has the shortest quest line of all our party members (possibly due to the fact that Larian decided to completely remake her before release, since in early access she was a completely different character). We all love the current Karlach VERY much, but we are extremely upset that at the moment, essentially nothing depends on the player and she is doomed in any case (we can follow her to Avernus, yes, but we have no confidence that Tav and Karlach will not die in battle with the superior forces of Zariel). People here are probably mostly very upset about the fact that Larian insists on pushing the "Return to Avernus" ending for Karlach, they just want the Larian people to AT LEAST hint to them that "we will continue to work on NEW endings for this character, not another analogue of her death or return to Avernus. Karlach, more than anyone else, deserves AT LEAST ONE GOOD ENDING... Karlach wants to LIVE! Karlach DOESN'T WANT TO DIE! JUSTICE FOR KARLACH!

B
Banned
Banned
B
You mentioned shortest questline, and this is just so true. Thing that takes the longest, is killing Dror Razglin to get infernal iron, so you finish the quest in act 2 in basicallt half a minute. If all her quests look like this, how is asking for one more fetch quest even considered unresonable? Not only it's the easiest quest to add, but also fits the entire questline

F
Banned
Banned
F
Justice is not always pretty. Her whole questline is bringing one iron to Dammon in act 1 and second in act 2, not much more. Gathering it is what takes most time, rest is just dialogue with npc. Why can't we just have enriched iron fixing the issue? Or have some loot from Steel Watcher that does the trick? It's not like they already added new drop in patch 1. Then talk to either Gondians, Dammon or whatever, have the issue be solved then add just one dialogue from happy Karlach at the end that now she's free and done. Whole affair ends, we are happy and can wait for whatever Larian planned next. You won't tell me that coding already existing item then adding one dialogue between npcs and one line at the end is something that will take 4 months or whatever.

R
Rae Offline
R
But guys imagine that one quickly added quest can break 1000 different things in such a complex game. My dream is they think about it carefully and rework the whole engine fixing questline from scratch. Add mode juicy dialogues and give the whole storyline with Karlach more deep, so she'll have similarly deep and enjoying storyline as remaining origin characters. In the meantime they can also work on longer and detailed epilogs and at the end we'll have nice good ending for Karlach without plotholes and bugs. Fingers crossed Larian.

Last edited by Rae; 09/09/23 10:22 AM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
Well maybe, maybe not. If creating just one quick quest was such pain the game would probably never be released. All I want is simple quest just to feel I didn't wasted 50 hours of gameplay just to be told to piss off

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
And what do you want more? A simple fetch quest right now or a well-written fleshed out arc for Karlach later? Come on, mate

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Adding even one quest isn't as easy as it seems.

Especially if you have to call back voice actors.

F
Banned
Banned
F
Which they already did. If addidng one quest took months, how would you expect the game to ever be finished?

B
Banned
Banned
B
Later when? Can you confirm DE will come out? Can you confirm something will actually be done? As for now they seem dedicated to justify the avernus ending by any means necessary when lore wise it makes zero sense, and gameplay wise it's bad and unfair. I just want to enjoy the game, I just want to feel my choices in a god forsaken RPG game have impact and right now all I feel is as if someone spat into my face, and treated me like an idiot

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Feris
Which they already did. If addidng one quest took months, how would you expect the game to ever be finished?

Assets in software are pipelined so the time it takes diminishes per feature.

It might take 2 months to add a quests. But it might also take 3 months to add 5

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by BitterSchizo
Later when? Can you confirm DE will come out? Can you confirm something will actually be done? As for now they seem dedicated to justify the avernus ending by any means necessary when lore wise it makes zero sense, and gameplay wise it's bad and unfair. I just want to enjoy the game, I just want to feel my choices in a god forsaken RPG game have impact and right now all I feel is as if someone spat into my face, and treated me like an idiot

There's going to be a definitive edition.

I'll eat my shoes if there isn't.

Last edited by Sunriders Destin; 09/09/23 02:40 PM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I'll take an awesome re-written Karlach story with a good ending in a year over a band aid fetch quest tomorrow, easy. And no, I can't confirm anything, I know as much as any other person here but I do believe there will be a Definitive Edition some time later. For D:OS2 it took 11 months if I'm not mistaken.

Also, in the latest interview Swen said that they are working 24 hours a day due to them having three offices in different parts of the world. I know that BG3 is a much bigger game than D:OS but Larian team is also much bigger now

Last edited by Mighty Melvo; 09/09/23 02:55 PM.
Page 36 of 157 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard