Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Okay, I have decided to watch what happens at the end, when you reject the Dark Urge to the very end and well... I have got several questions. So for those familiar with previous Baldur's Gate games and maybe dnd lore, I would appreciate your response. VERY HEAVY SPOILERS, DO NOT READ IF YOU DIDN'T FINISH THE GAME AS THE DARK URGE.

So, at the end of the game, we get the final choice to resist the Urge, which doesn't end well for our main character.

Now, I like the way it is presented, but... I am bothered by the final result. Basically, Bhaal, just straight out rips out his essence from Dark Urge, kills them and turns them faithless, destined to roam fuege plains for eternity.

That is until a familiar NPC, aka Withers saves the soul and life of the Dark Urge. This... bothers me. What happens, if you never recruit them? How can Bhaal just kill you like this? Why didn't he do that with previous Bhaalspawn? How is Bhaal capable of interacting with the real world, if he is pretty much dead after second game? I don't get it.

I thought that once you were born as Bhaalspawn, you would always have those intrusive thoughts or something like this.

Hell, I expected to see a path, where you gain the control of your urges, but they will always be a part of you and if you are not careful, they can and will influence you.

Maybe even retaining that part of divinity and making it into something good, like previous Bhaalspawns did.

Instead, it's just... gone? Like this? It's not a bad ending. It's rewarding in fact, but it feels too heroic, too idealistic for me. And feels a lot like a cop-out.

It also makes you wonder what happened to all previous Bhaalspawn? Were they all turned into Faithless, no matter their deeds? Or not?

Ps: one last thing I do not get. In BG 2, you lose your soul, at least the Bhaal part of it and you are just fine. In BG 3 you just die, seems inconsistent.

So, for those of you, who played previous games, care to enlighten me about it?

Last edited by Annoyed Player; 07/09/23 08:05 PM. Reason: Added a bit.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Withers will show up no matter what you do if you don't recruit him at some point. It was the case even in EA.

Becoming Faithless has huge implications story wise btw, you know, that Wall of the Faithless that consumes souls overtime until there is nothing left? Yeah, it's still present. And the Dead 3 were returned into a lesser god status after the 2nd Sundering, not major gods like they used to be (which is why they cooked up this entire scam with the Absolute, to try to grab for more power and why Withers chastises them in the post credit scene).

As to other Bhaalspawn becoming Faithless? No, why would they, so long as they served Bhaal well. Bhaal is just really pissed off at good Durge for defying him.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Withers will show up no matter what you do if you don't recruit him at some point. It was the case even in EA.

Becoming Faithless has huge implications story wise btw, you know, that Wall of the Faithless that consumes souls overtime until there is nothing left? Yeah, it's still present. And the Dead 3 were returned into a lesser god status after the 2nd Sundering, not major gods like they used to be (which is why they cooked up this entire scam with the Absolute, to try to grab for more power and why Withers chastises them in the post credit scene).

As to other Bhaalspawn becoming Faithless? No, why would they, so long as they served Bhaal well. Bhaal is just really pissed off at good Durge for defying him.

Wasn’t that retconned or at least not mentioned? I know it was a thing in Neverwinter Nights 2, but modern books not even mention it, last I checked.

What about the likes of Imoen or other good Bhaalspawn? Sure, evil ones would not become faithless. However, what about those that weren’t actively evil or worshipped other gods?

Bhaal's plan was to get a lot of children, so that when he was killed, he could come back after his offspring slaughtered one another, while their essence returned to mana well, if I remember correctly.

In fact, you actually lose part Bhaal essence for a moment in BG 2 and you are just fine. BG 3 seems to contradict previous games, when it comes to narrative. Whole ACT 3 being unfinished aside.

Last edited by Annoyed Player; 07/09/23 10:12 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
It wasn't retconned, it's just not mentioned all that much. There are a few books in game about the city of the Dead and Fugue Plane.

Anyway, good Bhaalspawn that worshiped other gods very likely end up in their god's planes after their death. What I find odd is that you can technically play a Selune worshiping Durge and they still end up in Fugue plane, meaning they were deluding themselves about the source of their divine spells. For it was Bhaal all along and not whatever other god you might've chosen.

And when you loose your essence for a bit in BG2 you aren't fine, you transform into the Slayer.

Last edited by Nicottia; 07/09/23 11:15 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Nicottia
It wasn't retconned, it's just not mentioned all that much. There are a few books in game about the city of the Dead and Fugue Plane.

Anyway, good Bhaalspawn that worshiped other gods very likely end up in their god's planes after their death. What I find odd is that you can technically play a Selune worshiping Durge and they still end up in Fugue plane, meaning they were deluding themselves about the source of their divine spells. For it was Bhaal all along and not whatever other god you might've chosen.

And when you loose your essence for a bit in BG2 you aren't fine, you transform into the Slayer.

Intriguing, still with what you wrote in mind, the game itself contradicts at certain aspects and some parts of the previous games like:

In the ending, you forever wander the plane, not become a brick for the wall, as per narrator said. Unless it’s the same, but not clarified.

So other Bhaalspawn could possibly get a good ending, while we do not no matter who we RP as? I get Dark Urge past is one thing, but after suffering from Amnesia they can devote themselves to a god/goddess and a code of honor like paladin.

The game even references it in an early scene that can be very easily missed.

"For the uninitiated, the Dark Urge has an early "secret" nightmare scene where they think about their bloody past. This is extremely easy to miss, as some early game events trigger other night-time scenes that override it and cause it to never play (As far as I'm aware of: recruiting Lae'zel and/or fending off the first goblin attack). The easiest way to see this scene is to Long Rest the moment you wake up on the beach; don't even need supplies, just Partial Rest."

Here are race and class, the post is on reddit. The link is at the bottom:

Race answers
There are no distinct subrace lines. Every race answer ends with the line: "When you try to think of a home your mind twists itself back to indulge in the delights of the day." Exotic races have an additional line before it: "It must have been a very long time since you were among your kind."

Generic Race Line: Elf, Human, Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc - Your kinsfolk are found everywhere, aren't they? It doesn't narrow much down.

Exotic Race Lines:

Tiefling - The magma of Hell's knowledge sometimes bubbles up in your brain's crater, but never reaches a true fire.

Drow - Images of the Underdark's famed torments sometimes flicker in your head, but your place amongst your kin seems long-lost.

Githyanki - You have been fighting since birth, such as Vlaakith preaches, but you feel little connection to any creche. Barely a call to your queen.

Dwarf - The comforts of the mine, a simple life, somehow you doubt you led. They don't call to you.

Gnome - Do you feel jolly? Aren't you meant to feel jolly? You don't make for a very good gnome.

Dragonborn - The ancestral knowledge of your dragon-clan is diluted amid the liquid hate in your blood.

Class answers
There are no distinct lines for subclasses.

Barbarian - The rages in your heart arise as an ancient instinct - your skill in the fray is but a long-lost muscle memory.

Bard - The call to song is a hollow joy. You are more suited to death's dirge.

Cleric (same for every deity) - The worship of your God feels an ancient fool's errand you are only following out of habit. When you call to the skies there is no answer.

Druid - Nature provides some soft comforts, but your draw to it is only some faded instinct.

Fighter - Though you know how to call to order, hold a line and wield a blade, you are doing so out of habit and a forgotten instinct.

Monk - For a monk, you do hyperventilate an awful lot.

Paladin - The oath you awoke with is some faded instinct. What does it even stand for?

Ranger - The frost of the mountain, the sand of the beach, the mulch of the swamp. There are hints of the trails left. But they are far away.

Sorcerer - You are fortunate your sorceries come from your instincts and not your mangled head.

Warlock - Whatever deal you made with your patron still stands, but they are in your magics, not in your mind.

Wizard - All your education, your knack for spells is only present as some distant instinct.

Rogue - A friend of daggers; all your skills match those of a hot-blooded killer.

[Note: every other Class line is followed up by "The lingering traces of your battle-intuitions are there. But the sly Urge within calls you to use them for harm." and then "You recall waking up hearing the pounding war drum of blood". Rogue is the exception, and skips the "lingering traces" line.]

The post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...al_dark_urge_dream_about_race_and_class/

Although, it's nothing compared to how Dark Urge came to be in the first place:

Unlike other Bhaalspawn, The Dark Urge wasn't born, but instead created from the dead flesh of Bhaal himself.

So they are a very special Bhaalspawn indeed. I suppose it also explains how they came to be and why they are so different from other Bhaalspawn.

Last edited by Annoyed Player; 08/09/23 05:14 AM. Reason: Added a bit.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The thing with Fugue Plane is that souls wander around until they are judged by Kelemvor,
so I guess Durge just got lucky Kelemvor was taking a break at that very moment.
astarionhappy

Link Copied to Clipboard