Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Why can't I get rid of this? She has ingested 6 tadpoles, nothing, rested a million times, why?

Who on the dev team thought that this was a good idea?

Last edited by Elendril; 08/09/23 03:01 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
That's a risk you take when
either you or Lae'zel make use of the zaith'isk.
Any failures on the saving throws cause permanent damage to the character. If you happen to succeed all of them, however, there's a very powerful character bonus.

A
A
Protip: those are con saves, so bears endurance first...

C
stranger
stranger
C
Kill her and resurrect her.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
I just came here to say how much I hate this quest. It rewards you greatly for doing something stupid and then save scumming the shit out of the outcome.

D
addict
addict
D
There are many warnings that this is a really bad idea. The game tells you that this will damage Lae'zel! If you don't get her out of the chair then the consequences are on you.

Or... we could just go back to bland games where nothing we do ever makes a difference.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Angelalex242
Protip: those are con saves, so bears endurance first...

QFT !

T
stranger
stranger
T
The hidden debuff makes this even worse - you can't even see you have this unless you scroll alllll the way down the Features list on her Character Sheet. They should give you a way to cure this, and make it clear that it happened.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Looks like it's possible to remove the debugg by consuming tadpoles (although thats bugged, https://forums.larian.com/ubbthread...p;Words=zaith&Search=true#Post887870).

Still, she is no ghaik. It should be clear that this debuff will occur, and there should be some non sacrilegious way of curing her. This mechanic just seems so deceitful.

J
J
I agree, if you continue with something that warns you a lot that dire consequences are ahead, fault is on you.

addict
addict
I like it that you CAN get in serious trouble in BG3 if you dont pay attention to warning signs.

Originally Posted by dwig
There are many warnings that this is a really bad idea. The game tells you that this will damage Lae'zel! If you don't get her out of the chair then the consequences are on you.

Or... we could just go back to bland games where nothing we do ever makes a difference.
Seriously this

B
old hand
old hand
B
The vague warnings are there but you have no idea what the consequences are plus the 30 DC is not exactly easy to make.

In, e.g. Volo's cure you lose an eye which doesn't have any negative effect and get the false eye which gives a bonus. What do you get from the Za'ith?

With the other cures I think I'm correct in saying that only the PC can partake. Why is the gith one different?

Edit. With priestess Gut even if you are thrown in prison you get rescued by a complete stranger sent by Raphael.

Last edited by Beechams; 28/09/23 04:08 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Think it's viewed as a "curse", so you can cast 'remove curse'? Think I did that with Lae'zel - she definitely had her brain fried when I played ;-)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Death + subsequent Revivify doesn't work. Remove Curse isn't applicable - game says "Target isn't cursed" (Greater Restoration, which is also supposed to remove curses, doesn't work either). No, this looks like a permanent debuff.

I thought that, if I'll deny Lae'zel the zaith'isk, she would just murder me on the spot, and it will be game over. Now she has penalties on INT and WIS...

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Like the Volo instance.

I just have to turn my brain off for these.

Originally Posted by MonkeyLungs
Like the Volo instance.

I just have to turn my brain off for these.
I think that happens the minute he pulls out an icepick and Tav agrees to let him do his thing.

To be honest, Greater Restoration should have worked. You'll be running around with those debuffs for a while before you get it. Also I have literally never used that spell in any of my playthroughs, so maybe it should have (at least one) extra use.

Last edited by Raz415; 30/09/23 11:56 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
The 'correct' play through is for MC to assert themselves and go first. Lae'zel approves this display of authority - which also doubles as being protective.

With inspiration in the bank and party buffs, it's quite doable to pass the Zhaith'isk checks. It's 10 points easier than Lae'zel going first. I didn't fail any checks.

Heck,
you can even pretend to be lobotomized afterwards to deflect interest in your tadpole.

But yes, Greater Restoration and I think Heal should restore the damage. But Larian opted for tadpoling yourself for recovery.

I agree that the base game should have recovery options later in the game for all the various debuffs. It's the perfect quest motivator.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Takiel
Looks like it's possible to remove the debugg by consuming tadpoles (although thats bugged, https://forums.larian.com/ubbthread...p;Words=zaith&Search=true#Post887870).

Still, she is no ghaik. It should be clear that this debuff will occur, and there should be some non sacrilegious way of curing her. This mechanic just seems so deceitful.
Any decent person is already playing to make Lae'zel defy her god-queen, so I'm not sure why you think ingesting tadpoles is a sacrilege. Do people not understand that you can influence your friends and change their outlook on things in this game? It's like so many of you are just proving Larian's point over and over, that gamers will just blindly do whatever they think will get them the most approval points instead of thinking critically about the relationship between two people. As it stands right now, there is no reason not to persuade Lae'zel to take the tadpoles, because Larian chickened out and didn't implement any consequences.

Originally Posted by RutgerF
I thought that, if I'll deny Lae'zel the zaith'isk, she would just murder me on the spot, and it will be game over. Now she has penalties on INT and WIS...
I thought that was a possibility too. But it was still the right thing. Mostly this game is about having fun, but Larian is very clearly trying to make a point about how gamers try to metagame every decision instead of just roleplaying and doing what their character believes is right. Stop trying to engineer optimal outcomes, stop trying to give everyone what you think they want, just do what your character thinks is right. And with all the ominous warnings about that machine, your character has every reason to believe Lae'zel shouldn't get into it.

Originally Posted by Beechams
The vague warnings are there but you have no idea what the consequences are plus the 30 DC is not exactly easy to make.
If you don't want to try and pass a 30 DC check then don't put anyone in the machine!

Originally Posted by Beechams
With the other cures I think I'm correct in saying that only the PC can partake. Why is the gith one different?
Because getting to the zaithisk is Lae'zel's primary motivation throughout the first act. Like...what kind of a question is this?

Has it really been so long since games had meaningful choice and consequence mechanics that people just plain forgot about the idea of actions having consequences?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard