Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
So, this is something that bothers me. There is a quest in BG 3 to rescue/save all the Tieflings across ACT 1 and 2. You can do that with any character origin, except one: "The Dark Urge."

I won't spoil exactly what happens, but why do we lose a unique very rare piece of armour due to a events that happen? Why isn't there someone else that can give the reward prior to the end of the quest? It's even more glaring, as there is a safeguard for an event like that in Grymforge, due to all the lava there.

There isn't one here. In fact, the only way to get the item is to use extremely metagamey option prior and some shenanigans to prevent the event from firing in the first place.

Just to be clear, I am not against the event or the origin, but annoyed by the fact that we lose out on stuff, due to one single NPC. I wish there was someone else to reward the player instead.

It doesn't help that playing evil in BG 3 is simply worse. You lose out on content, magic gear, quests, etc. Evil side has got so much less stuff to do, it's not even funny. So, my suggestion is to insert a backup character to give the player the reward, once you finish the quest.

veteran
veteran
Wow... that really sucks.

I play as Dark Urge and it really did not cross my mind that I would be without that loot had I not metagamed because I know the scene you're referring to, I hate it with so much passion, I hate the fact I had to metagame to avoid it, and I hate it even more now knowing that it would have blocked me from unique loot and story in ACT II had I not metagamed.

I seriously do not understand what they were thinking, it's like they're actively going out of their way to punish people just for playing Dark Urge, but I agree that there definitely should be an NPC as a backup.

Lakrissa should be the backup since she's her best friend

stranger
stranger
DU is the only origin that gets the incredibly OP (even if it is somewhat bugged) cloak that can give you you invisibility once per turn. Gale gets a moderately useful ring that no one else does. I can see how missing out on loot can make people not want to play a certain origin character. Making it possible to get any loot on any character would probably be an improvement. Maybe a special vendor or new game+ that lets you import an item from a different character once you finish the game.

This could also let people play how they want (peaceful playthrough, throwing people off cliffs, pick different sides) and not worry about missing out on loot.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Annoyed Player
So, this is something that bothers me. There is a quest in BG 3 to rescue/save all the Tieflings across ACT 1 and 2. You can do that with any character origin, except one: "The Dark Urge."

Huh. I just started a new game as the Dark Urge and one of my goals is save all the tieflings this time. Should I give up this game and create a new character if I want to do that?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by eris
uh. I just started a new game as the Dark Urge and one of my goals is save all the tieflings this time. Should I give up this game and create a new character if I want to do that?

No need, you can save them all... but;
there is one particular Dark Urge scene you will have to entirely metagame in order to avoid it, which includes a particular female Tiefling. This scene with her always happens somewhere between Wyll's and Karlach's recruitment, so always save your game just before you decide to end the day and DO NOT recruit Scratch until after a certain female Tiefling visits your camp.

When she visits simply reload the save prior to long-resting and go knock her out in the Grove with a companion you don't care losing attitude with, could also just use a mercenary too. Then take a long rest and continue the awesome Dark Urge story.

S
S

I won't spoil exactly what happens, but why do we lose a unique very rare piece of armour due to a events that happen? Why isn't there someone else that can give the reward prior to the end of the quest? It's even more glaring, as there is a safeguard for an event like that in Grymforge, due to all the lava there.

There isn't one here. In fact, the only way to get the item is to use extremely metagamey option prior and some shenanigans to prevent the event from firing in the first place.

Just to be clear, I am not against the event or the origin, but annoyed by the fact that we lose out on stuff, due to one single NPC. I wish there was someone else to reward the player instead.

It doesn't help that playing evil in BG 3 is simply worse. You lose out on content, magic gear, quests, etc. Evil side has got so much less stuff to do, it's not even funny. So, my suggestion is to insert a backup character to give the player the reward, once you finish the quest.

playing an evil char is completly broken. Got many prolbems and bugs during act III too.

old hand
old hand
You can in fact save that certain tiefling as durge and not still get the both the durge reward item and save the tieflings reward item.

I won't spoil how as theres enough youtube videos and reddit posts on how to.

stranger
stranger
Thanks! I've already got Wyll. Will keep my eyes open for this.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by eris
Thanks! I've already got Wyll. Will keep my eyes open for this.

You can't save her once she turns up in your camp, but you can if you .... prevent her from being able to turn up into your camp ....

[Linked Image from guides.gamepressure.com]

You then get someone else less important for the durge kill instead, and she still turns up in act 2

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 30/08/23 03:41 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ah, damn it!

I just looked up what that particular item is. It was little use for my regular Tav, but I remembered I got it from somewhere (couldn’t remember where) and was looking forward to it for my current durge character.

stranger
stranger
I just played out that scene. I don't like that this particular tiefling died, but I think I'm going to play with it since it seems so significant to the Dark Urge story.

veteran
veteran
I do not recommend it because it is really not significant, you will lose out on the character and unique items like the OP mentioned.

Instead I truly recommend that you metagame the scene and you will get an even better one than the one you just saw, without losing any significance to Dark Urge's story.

old hand
old hand
I really could have used the robe too, didn't know about the saving her thing until a couple of days ago, will try it in second playthrough so my evil playthrough will have to be delayed further.

A
OP Offline
A
Yep, you only need to knock out
Alfira
with non-lethal damage. Hell, I wouldn't be doing it myself, if the game didn't softlock me out of the quest!

That's the problem. I love this scene, I love Dark Urge having those urges, but losing stuff because there is no redundancy in the questline? That's just not fun at all.

Last edited by Annoyed Player; 30/08/23 05:47 PM.
stranger
stranger
OK I played it out with saving the one girl and I'm satisfied with the result even if it is metagaming.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
The issue is not that you lose powerful gear, the issue is you don't have access to other powerful gear if you decide to go evil

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Mouthbreathereli
The issue is not that you lose powerful gear, the issue is you don't have access to other powerful gear if you decide to go evil

That’s part of the problem. Most evil options are very unrewarding long term and short term. Losing Last Light Inn either to Dark Urge content or evil content is Terrible.

You lose one of the best merchants, side quests, npcs and unique items. It's a Terrible design choice.

And I hope devs read these forums because Dark Urge rewards compared to what we get by playing any other origin, assuming a good/neutral guy just straight out SUUUUCK.

You can wait before fufilling your Dark Urge until the sidequests are done. Part of being a serial killer is choosing the right time smile

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Raz415
You can wait before fufilling your Dark Urge until the sidequests are done. Part of being a serial killer is choosing the right time smile

Actually that’s false.

You get no control over the scene. It happens early in the game, you cant avoid unless you don't long rest at all and if you try to leave for ACT 2, the npc will die anyway. It’s just dumb and poorly executed scene, which takes away magic item, because the quest is softlocked.

So, don’t spread misinformation.

apprentice
apprentice
In fact, the only way to get the item is to use extremely metagamey option prior and some shenanigans to prevent the event from firing in the first place.

I'm not judging you but you wouldn't be frustrated if you didn't know about the reward. I don't know if you're experienced on playing games like this but when we saw dark urge we knew it would be an origin that would sacrifice a lot of things (maybe even companions) so we didn't choose it. You can't get everything in this game unless you spoil most of the things to yourself and that's not fun at all in my opinion. I'd recommend you try to enjoy the story and the way your origin interacts with it.

Originally Posted by Raz415

Thanks for the spoiler, I guess?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard