Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Let all companions from my party comment a situation during a conversation. It's annoying that game picks a random companion to say something if the situation demands it and if I reload, then someone else will comment instead. I want to hear everyone's opinion, not just one person. It's obvious dialogues are recorded, so why are these weird restrictions even here?

At this point I'm reloading a conversation to hear everyone's opinion, which is really a crappy way to hear my companions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Given that the vast majorty of players will play the game somewhere between 0,5 - 1,5 times we really should have all commentary played from the companions we do have with us. Knowing that I have to have the same character with me multiple times just on the off-chance that there's things I haven't heard yet is not a good feeling.

I feel like Gale has been uncharacteristically silent lately. Is it just because I've had a bad string of luck getting his lines, or did they forget to add comments in Act 2 to him? I don't plan on bringing him along next time. So how many playthroughs do I need to get his lines? I'll never know... not a good way to set it up IMO

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Slapstick
Given that the vast majorty of players will play the game somewhere between 0,5 - 1,5 times we really should have all commentary played from the companions we do have with us. Knowing that I have to have the same character with me multiple times just on the off-chance that there's things I haven't heard yet is not a good feeling.

I feel like Gale has been uncharacteristically silent lately. Is it just because I've had a bad string of luck getting his lines, or did they forget to add comments in Act 2 to him? I don't plan on bringing him along next time. So how many playthroughs do I need to get his lines? I'll never know... not a good way to set it up IMO

For me it's the issue with Shadowheart, she doesn't comment unless I reload several times. Laz talks, Karlach talks, Wyll, but Shadowheart is always quiet. Which is truly annoying, because I'm romancing her. So once again, I am asking, Larian, let all of our current companions speak instead of just random one.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I would also like it if anyone in my party who had something to say in a conversation would say it (it's something I and others said in early access too). I think it would go at least some way to giving a more party feel to our single player games, and bringing our companions to life.

Though I'm personally never going to be reloading to hear different dialogue. I'll just keep my fingers crossed I'll hear it in a future playthrough. But even as someone who expects to play the game many times, I'd prefer to hear companions' views multiple times rather than have them rationed out as they are currently.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
OP Offline
Exactly. I just want to hear everyone's opinion on the matter when they have something to say. Even if it's just a short comment, I still want them to speak up. All three of them.

And reloading almost every conversation is a crappy way to play if I want to feel my companions being more... alive.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I've noticed all the companions get awfully quiet from Act 2 onwards, at this point I can't tell if they're just bugged or if Larian didn't implement as many companion comments in the latter acts.

apprentice
apprentice
A very fair request, +1 from me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
i have made this request to. i see this as harming player experience
repost;
BG3 has a system where companions can interject during conversations, however when you reload a scene (say after dying to a boss) you soon discover, you will get different interjections from different companions. Apparently completely randomly, this can lead to you missing important, interesting and well acted lines entirely and has lead some players to be complaining that companion X never said anything because luck of the roll, in their game they didn't.
This is especially noticeable at the end of the game where
every companion has a lines available but you only here acouple of them meaning at the resolution of the game entire companions can be silent or even you can hear nothing from 90% of your party, only minsc and reloading a quicksave and watching it again renders completely different results, not from player action or choice but RNG for what companion randomly gets to speak

This leads to a lessened experience and a majority of content being missed out on outside of player control to experience it.

Please change this, either as a toggleable option in the settings or completely. Most of the lines and interjections are very short so hearing from your present party (in most cases 3 people) would not drag out conversations or slow down the game, and in situations where your whole party is present (namely cut-scenes) hearing from all of them is important and missing out that content because of RNG is just wasting content.

If we had even the option, to hear all available applicable content, not just a random selection, then for those players playing FOR the story and companions, it would be less arbitary and an enriched experience and would go a long way to fixing the problems many have with
the ending in particular
and with companions they see as underwritten because so much of that writing is locked behind RNG

I do understand the reasoning behind this mechanic, of not wanting overwhelming interjections to the same line to slow down the pace of cut-scenes (we all know how long these could go if you had too many mods for BG2) however given the briefness of these lines and the small number of companions in your party at any given moment, I believe this decision robs the player more than it benefits and is not worth the cost of arbitrarily lost content.

Thank you.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=880931#Post880931

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
OP Offline
Sorry, I didn't see your thread earlier, but I'm glad it was made anyway. You explained the issue better than I. Hopefully devs will see this and listen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
thank you and np, more threads/conversation about this is needed as so many complaints in the story/character forum are contributed by people just randomly not seeing character content

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I also agree with this. I don't want to have reload to hear everyone's thoughts. I want them all to say it when it happens.

addict
addict
+1 gotta have it

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
addict
But wont characters completely ignore what the other characters have said ?

Originally Posted by Slapstick
Given that the vast majorty of players will play the game somewhere between 0,5 - 1,5 times [...]

Given this game is replayable to the extreme, especially if you dont savescum, I dont see how that would be true.

Only if this game is actually so popular that players who are not actually into roleplaying games start playing it will you have people who wont finish this game multiple times, or maybe even not at all.

Last edited by Halycon Styxland; 30/08/23 07:06 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not really, interjections are about what is happening, it doesnt need to matter that they dont comment on each other? But also, there are responses to what other characters have said that we never hear because its all RNG so they've already done that work too, but then made it not show up most times!

A
A
+ 1 to the request to have all companions that are present in the group to speak up.
Since EA I've been traveling with Astarion only, so I can hear what he has to say on any given matter. As soon as I add anyone else to the party they all overlap his lines. Very frustrating...

G
stranger
stranger
G
I'm not sur to agree.

If I have too much interjection each time I speack, i fear I will slow every discussion and be rather boring

addict
addict
The thing I want, is for the game to STOP picking a companion to do a dialog with instead of my main character.

If I go into an area that has a cutscene and turn around too quickly, for example, another character will trigger it and THEY get to answer, my charisma loaded sorcerer be damned.

M
stranger
stranger
M
+1 from me. I dont know if it is just me, but for the majority of the time my companions are completely silent. I just get weird "Approves" "Disapproves" notifications, but no comment as to why. I really don't understand this design decision - especially if the dialogue has already been recoreded.

stranger
stranger
+1; It's how numerous well-loved crpgs of the past have done it, and I'd love to see that good 'tradition' followed

Z
addict
addict
Z
Originally Posted by ValkyrieN7
Let all companions from my party comment a situation during a conversation. It's annoying that game picks a random companion to say something if the situation demands it and if I reload, then someone else will comment instead. I want to hear everyone's opinion, not just one person. It's obvious dialogues are recorded, so why are these weird restrictions even here?

At this point I'm reloading a conversation to hear everyone's opinion, which is really a crappy way to hear my companions.

I can see that viewpoint, but the randomness in who comments introduces value in replay scenarios where in another playthrough you might get a different comment instead. It's a way of keeping things fresh for subsequent playthroughs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard