Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tavor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Warlock spellslots are only usable in multiclass after all the other slots have been used. This destroys very popular multiclassing options. Please fix that asap. IE Sorcery Points from WL slots or pala smites from WL slots have been a 5e staple forever. Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Can you say a bit more about the problem you're facing?

In my game, I have Wyll mutliclassed as a warlock/oath of vengeance paladin. At the moment he only has level 1 paladin spell slots and level 2 warlock slots, and when he gets the opportunity to smite then I get the choice of whether to use his level 1 paladin slot or level 2 warlock slot (I have smite set to an "Ask" trigger). And when I select a level 1 spell (whether it's a warlock or paladin one), I get the opportunity to choose whether to cast it using my paladin level 1 slots or warlock level 2 ones. So, so far so good, but I assume your problem is different. Does it occur when you have warlock and other types of spell slots at the same level, which I've not yet experienced?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
tavor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Thank you for your reply. I have a Level 5 character (we play as a Group of four with 4 custom characters).

I am - or rather want to - play a sorcerer warlock multiclass because i want the Short Rest spell slots to refill my sorcery points. But i cannot choose which slots i want to use for what Action, which defeats the purpose of this multiclass. I have to use up the long Rest slots first. Sorlock or sorcadins are a very popular multiclass in tabletop dnd, beca se of the usage of the warlock Short Rest slots,which cannot be played to the potential that is usually qccepted by dms and Not disallowed by RAW

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
So is it the sorceror spell-slots that are the same level as your current warlock ones that you're not able to select specifically the warlock spells for? As I mentioned, I'm currently able to pick for my multi-class Wyll, but he only has paladin level 1 slots as yet.

Eg, in the below screenshot, I'm able to choose to cast Bane (which he has as an oath of vengeance paladin) using either Wyll's warlock level 2 slots or his paladin level 1 ones. So, as you say, I can choose to use these rather than his level 1 paladin slots, as his warlock slots refill on short rest.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Am I misunderstanding your issue? Or are you seeing something different for a multiclass warlock/sorceror?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
tavor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Yes, IT might be that higher slots are preferred, i am 4 levels into sorc and 1 wl and i cant use warlock spell slots to recharge my sp

K
stranger
stranger
K
I can confirm, we can't use warlock spells slots to create sorcery points if we still have sorcerer spell slots avaiable to use. It ruins the multiclass warlock and sorcerer. We can't burn warlock spell slots if we have any sorcerer spell slots avaiable to use. Everyone is facing this problem when multiclassing as warlock and sorcerer.

Last edited by Karlack; 13/08/23 10:24 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Ah, okay, so it's not about what kind of spell slot we can use to cast spells, but to create sorcery points. I get it now!

I'm guessing that this is something that has been reported to Larian via the "Report a Bug" link up the top of the launcher? That would be the best way to get info from them about whether they see this as a bug to be fixed, or whether it's per their design.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Well, also we can't use the warlock spell slots first to cast spell, the game always tend to cast it burning the sorcerer spell slots. I'm talking about Sorcerer + Warlock, I don't know about other multiclasses. Sorry about the other post repeting it.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
So, with the sorceror, are you not getting the option to pick what spell slot to use, like in my screenshot above of my multiclassed warlock/paladin Wyll? If we can pick which spell slots to use for multiclassed paladin/warlocks but not sorceror/warlocks then I guess in a way that's good news as it suggests there is definitely a bug with the sorceror/warlock multiclass rather than the inability to choose which slots to use being per design.

(Caveat, of course, as stated above my Wyll doesn't yet have paladin and warlock spell slots at the same level, so I'll watch out for that causing a problem.)

K
stranger
stranger
K
In my case, I want go for 2 levels of Warlock and rest only Sorcerer. So I always going to have level 1 Warlock spell slots and I always going to have level 1 Sorcerer spell slots. Do you see? I will never be able to burn my warlock spell slots first, because they always going to conflict with my level 1 sorcerer spell slots. The good point of doing this multiclass is burn the warlock spell slots to create sorcery points and recovering it when short resting. This is a problem because I need to spend all my sorcerer spell slots before it. And even if I go for 4 levels of warlock and 4 of sorcerer I'll always be forced to burn my sorcerer level 2 spell slots before the warlock level 2 spell slots.

Last edited by Karlack; 13/08/23 11:09 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
This is what I've been trying to understand. So the problem arises when you have warlock and sorceror spell slots at the same level? In that case, I'll see if I have the same problem with Wyll once he gets some level 2 paladin spells, which he should do later today.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Ah, okay, so it's not about what kind of spell slot we can use to cast spells, but to create sorcery points. I get it now!

I'm guessing that this is something that has been reported to Larian via the "Report a Bug" link up the top of the launcher? That would be the best way to get info from them about whether they see this as a bug to be fixed, or whether it's per their design.

Can't smite with warlock slots either. I have a Paladin 6/Warlock 1 and was expecting to be able to smite using my level 1 warlock slot and it is not an option. In doing some reading on reddit this appears to have to do with having normal spell slots that are a higher level than your warlock slots. This is still very much a build breaking bug.

T
tavor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Exactly what i Was going for in the OP. A good multiclass synergizes and therefore becomes more than the sum of its parts. Pala smites and sp being a Prime example of how cons of two classes basically compensate.

New synergies and interactions is what multiclassing is for, resulting in almost game breaking combinations. That is what is for me the most fun aspect about Any classic rpg. Find builds that bend the Intended play almost to the breaking point.

Two classes slapped together is Not even close to what should be the goal of MC.

Think about the divine soul sorcerer conquest Paladin with warcaster and spirit guards.. Too bad

N
N2B Offline
stranger
stranger
N
The problem is simple. The game only distinguishes between spell slot levels but not how the slots are acquired. This means that Warlock slots are treated as regular spell slots in the game. And there's simply no option to choose which level 1 slot to use!

It was simply forgotten that Warlock slots have different rules. In D&D, I would even allow this only because coffelocks are absolutely OP there, but in Baldur's Gate 3, due to the limitation of short rests, this isn't the issue. (Unless you go overboard and give each of your companions 2 levels in Bard.)

I
stranger
stranger
I
I would add my 2 cents. The problem is more global and affects any caster multiclass that has a small number of Warlock levels. Having 1 level in the Warlock class and 1 level in the Sorcerer class (spell slots of the same level - 1) I cannot use Warlock spell slots for sorcerer spells and vice versa. Starting at 3rd level sorcerer (W - 1, S - 3) when gaining 2nd level sorcerer spell slots, Warlock (1st level) spell slots will only be used when burning all 1st level sorcerer spell slots (including generating sorcery points), at this time Warlock spells will consume sorcerer level 2 spell slots, and the higher level sorcerer spell slots are available, the higher the level will be spent to cast a Warlock spell.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
This also affects my bardlock multiclass. Interestingly, it worked at first as i was doing natural progression (when I was lock 3, bard 3), but then broke as I respecced (lock 2, bard 4).

Hasn't worked since !

J
stranger
stranger
J
When casting warlock spells, they seem to be demanding the highest-level spell slot available.

I'm currently at Bard 3/Warlock 1. The spells I chose as Warlock are Hex and Protection from Evil and Good.

If any of my level 2 spell slots are available, those two spells can *only* be cast at level 2. It's extra annoying because neither spell benefits from being upcast.

Pure Warlocks are forced to cast with their highest available slots because those are the only slots they *have*. But the BG3 implementation seems like it involves having the spells themselves *demand* the highest slot, which is just bizarre.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Has anyone had a response from Larian on this issue? The problems with multiclassing warlock spell slots seem to persist through patch 1.

Last edited by TescoBag; 26/08/23 12:09 PM.
T
tavor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
not to this point. multiclass WL still not possible. multiclassing right now is just a patchwerk of single classes, no real synergy possible. not really gonna play another round.

I
stranger
stranger
I
I received a response from Larian support 1 hour ago regarding a bug report I filed on this matter. It seems the Warlock spell slot bug has been fixed in recent patches, so now as a multiclass Sorcerer-5 and Warlock-2, I didn't have to use lvl 3 spell slots to cast the Hex. Unfortunately for Sorcerers, the bug has not been fully fixed. and the Sorcerer still cannot use Warlock spell slots to create sorcery points if he has spell slots of his own. But I believe that for the rest of the classes, the multiclass should now work correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard