Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Didsy
I don't know how far you are in the playthrough, but it's far far more than a polish issue. Everyone has different tolerance levels of course, but I think by any reasonable metric this would not be considered playable. At 50 ish hours we are freezing for upwards of 40 seconds on some actions, 10s on every switch, every turn change, sometimes several targeting bugs PER battle requiring reloads, which take the better part of a minute.

And you not wanting people to get the wrong impression? The wrong impression comes from the lack of coverage this issue has been given - no major review outlet has covered it even people specifically assessing split screen coop, and even those commenting on act3 performance. This seems to be a pretty universal experience and not limited to specific people's consoles or installations - so they must have been aware of it when commenting. That is the wrong Impression.

But don't get me wrong, the single player game is fantastic. It's just that many people, especially on ps5 will have purchased it specifically for local coop - and Larian have clearly abused their stellar reputation for split screen coop in DOS2 and intentionally covered this issue up on ps5 prior to release, which is really scummy.

Yes to all this. There is no way they didn't knew about the split screen shitty performances and the fact they will not even acknowledge the problem anywhere is even more scammy. There isn't a mention to it anywhere and i've yet to receive any answer to the bug report from more than a week ago appart from the automated message.

Last edited by Cyal; 12/09/23 07:40 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Made an account to post, the split screen performance on ps5 has degraded significantly as we have progressed the game, We are approaching the end of act 1 and it is borderline unplayable. I have submitted 2 tickets in the last 24 hours about this but have yet to receive a reply. The game is fantastic split screen issues aside but the lack of communication from Larian is frustrating. Either inform us of a timescale for fixes or if it can't be fixed let us know so we can apply for refunds. I've bought this game to play co-op with my wife and it's frustrating to experience, especially since DOS and DOS2 had split screen well balanced.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by EternalHog
Made an account to post, the split screen performance on ps5 has degraded significantly as we have progressed the game, We are approaching the end of act 1 and it is borderline unplayable. I have submitted 2 tickets in the last 24 hours about this but have yet to receive a reply. The game is fantastic split screen issues aside but the lack of communication from Larian is frustrating. Either inform us of a timescale for fixes or if it can't be fixed let us know so we can apply for refunds. I've bought this game to play co-op with my wife and it's frustrating to experience, especially since DOS and DOS2 had split screen well balanced.
This 100% It is not the masterpiece I thought it to be. IT is a great game potentially but no feedback from larian or atleast acknowledging this issue is quite frustrating. They havent responded to my email as well.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Everyone - please use the PS5 screen recording option to record videos and post them here via YouTube or other streaming service.

I am going to create a video detailing all the bugs and Larians lack of communication. It is concerning because this has been the state for PC co op since it released.

Once the video is created or your videos are shared here, I will forward to all major content creators. I am sure they would love the controversy clicks, and it will bring more attention to the issue.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'm starting to think we shouldn't expect a fix any time soon. They had to have known about this issue before release. Some PC players say the problem exists there too on weaker hardware, so they've surely known about this since at least August.

My guess is the problem is caused by something fundamental to the game's design. Given that the coverage/reviews are overwhelmingly positive, they have no incentive to make massive changes to underlying design that could affect the stellar single player experience.

They are likely silent because they can't promise a fix.

Just speculation, informed by my decades of experience as a software dev.

Pretty bummed. Also annoyed that I spent the extra $10 so our coop experience could become unplayable more quickly.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Landis
I'm starting to think we shouldn't expect a fix any time soon. They had to have known about this issue before release. Some PC players say the problem exists there too on weaker hardware, so they've surely known about this since at least August.

My guess is the problem is caused by something fundamental to the game's design. Given that the coverage/reviews are overwhelmingly positive, they have no incentive to make massive changes to underlying design that could affect the stellar single player experience.

Pretty bummed. Also annoyed that I spent the extra $10 so our coop experience could become unplayable more quickly.
Originally Posted by Landis

This is all perfectly logical. As consumers it is our duty to make our issues known to other customers.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Katarsi
For one, they should disable the Quality mode for the split screen and just go with Performance. I mean, we've initially selected Performance in the first place, but apparently the game defaults to Quality immediately when you enter split screen (which is ridiculous). And since the game freezes more frequently as you progress, this insinuates some kind of memory leak, unoptimized scripting or stacking conditions (I'm comparing these problems to Skyrim, but it may not be the same thing).

The problem isn't graphical so either quality/performance doesn't make a difference. It's an optimization issue and the ps5 processor can't handle it.

Edit: There's a comment on the Digital Foundry video talking about the freezes and I recommend everyone where to give a like to it, maybe they see it and decide to test it further.

Last edited by Therai; 12/09/23 09:44 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Therai
Edit: There's a commend on the Digital Foundry video talking about the freezes and I recommend everyone where to give a like to it, maybe they see it and decide to test it further.

Done.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Therai
Originally Posted by Katarsi
For one, they should disable the Quality mode for the split screen and just go with Performance. I mean, we've initially selected Performance in the first place, but apparently the game defaults to Quality immediately when you enter split screen (which is ridiculous). And since the game freezes more frequently as you progress, this insinuates some kind of memory leak, unoptimized scripting or stacking conditions (I'm comparing these problems to Skyrim, but it may not be the same thing).

The problem isn't graphical so either quality/performance doesn't make a difference. It's an optimization issue and the ps5 processor can't handle it.

Edit: There's a comment on the Digital Foundry video talking about the freezes and I recommend everyone where to give a like to it, maybe they see it and decide to test it further.

Good spot re the comment on the DF video. Still unbelievable that DF didn't acknowledge the freezing issue even once. It's like they've all be paid by Larian to keep quiet. The longer they remain silent about this the more I'm losing appreciation for them as a developer. So sad, they used to feel like the white Knights of the modern gaming world...now it feels like they will let their success turn them into the next blizzard.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Share your video link here when you have it so we can help push it out. I have a clip of the issue saved on the ps5 but don't have have a yt channel to upload it to. Happy to send over the file if it can help you make content about the issue though.

Would be great if some of the major content creators did a piece about this.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Created an account to add to this as well.
My wife and I bought this game, specifically on PS5, to play the game together as we greatly enjoyed DOS and DOS2.
We now show 60 hours on our save file. Got to some point in Act 2. When it got to the point where I was verbally cursing the game more than we were playing, it only made sense to stop playing until the issue is fixed. If only it were possible to refund a game after struggle-bussing your way through 60 hours of it...
This needs to get addressed.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Well until now we “only” had the massive slowdowns and freezes. But after playing tonight we encountered that god awful cursor disappearing thing and had to reload. Then it happened again in the middle of a massive battle so that entire 40 min battle was all for nothing since we couldnt move. Turned the game off then.

The shit is unplayable. Larian needs to address how broken ps5 couch co op is. The radio silence is inexcusable. It’s embarrassing that it was released on ps5 in this state

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Didsy
Good spot re the comment on the DF video. Still unbelievable that DF didn't acknowledge the freezing issue even once. It's like they've all be paid by Larian to keep quiet. The longer they remain silent about this the more I'm losing appreciation for them as a developer. So sad, they used to feel like the white Knights of the modern gaming world...now it feels like they will let their success turn them into the next blizzard.

I understand your frustration because we're all going through the same thing but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is an issue that appears after many hours of playing and specifically on local co-op. It seems to me it lacked testing on these circumstances and it might not be an easy fix. My disappointment is the lack of acknowledgement. I'd appreciate if someone that submitted a bug response and got a reply to share here.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by GeniusOfTheSky
Well until now we “only” had the massive slowdowns and freezes. But after playing tonight we encountered that god awful cursor disappearing thing and had to reload. Then it happened again in the middle of a massive battle so that entire 40 min battle was all for nothing since we couldnt move. Turned the game off then.

The shit is unplayable. Larian needs to address how broken ps5 couch co op is. The radio silence is inexcusable. It’s embarrassing that it was released on ps5 in this state

You can save and reload mid fight to solve the cursor issue. Isn't ideal but at least you won't lose any progress in the future.

C
stranger
stranger
C
This person says he played 30h with his wife and had no problems. Maybe there is something we do other than getting more spells/items that makes it degrade in time like, getting more origin companions or something.
Would try to play while only recruiting 2 for example but i can't be bothered given how Larian has been silent so far anyway.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Cyal
This person says he played 30h with his wife and had no problems. Maybe there is something we do other than getting more spells/items that makes it degrade in time like, getting more origin companions or something.
Would try to play while only recruiting 2 for example but i can't be bothered given how Larian has been silent so far anyway.

I made this post on Reddit as well (https://reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/s/dmbuH8AoMj) yesterday with a screenshot of this forums thread list when I noticed there were 4-5 separate threads on this issue at the same time in the most recent threads. Someone there also noted they had no issues and had reached the underdark. Tbh given how widespread the issue seems to be and that there are a number of Larian supporters who view this as barely an issue and will jump to their defence regardless of how bad things are, I'm not sure how much credence to give to such reports.

But I guess it would be interesting to see if some variable might be the cause. Maybe save file numbers?

F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Castiel
Everyone - please use the PS5 screen recording option to record videos and post them here via YouTube or other streaming service.

I am going to create a video detailing all the bugs and Larians lack of communication. It is concerning because this has been the state for PC co op since it released.

Once the video is created or your videos are shared here, I will forward to all major content creators. I am sure they would love the controversy clicks, and it will bring more attention to the issue.

That's a good idea, will do so as soon as I get the chance.

I got to chat with a sony customer support rep, they asked me to record videos using the ps5 with these issues and send it to them. They added that this would probably "take time" (read: not gonna happen). Will post how it goes, however.

I completely agree on the fact that Larian was aware of this issue, but it being mainly a single player game with online capabilities, reviewers didn't focus on co-op for longer than a few minutes. Regarding comments (reddit, twitter) about the co-op working properly: they are pretty much all one-liners and sound like bullshit to me. The Ps5 has only one hardware configuration, so the chance of everyone running into the same bugs is immense. The implementation of split screen in BG3 seems to be "we'll just split the screen in two and run two games at the same time, let the cpu handle it lol". In a market where every instance of multiplayer is heading towards online gaming, using resources to have a proper local coop seems counterintuitive if not for loyalty points from their consumers (mainly DOS).

Working around the issue, as in trying to send items back to camp or recruiting less characters feels like a lost battle. It all comes down to some sort of CPU bottleneck I guess. I have a very high end PC that I use for work training machine learning models and it runs very well in split screen but it sometimes stutters at the very same places as the ps5 version. Granted, the freezes last a split second, but it goes to show that even with overpowered hardware there is a clear optimization problem.

Also, I have now been playing in split screen co-op for at least 20 hours on PC and I have to say that, even without freezing and lagging, the fact that the screen never merges like it did in DoS2 is extremely bothersome after a while. It's very hard to track where you are and where you are going and have to use the map very frequently while exploring. If the screen merge can't be implemented, I'd rather have cross-play tbh

Last edited by Fujicrow; 13/09/23 09:43 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Is there anything we can do for all of us who have this problem?

Collect signatures?

Communicate with video game webs?

Make a thread on twitter naming Larian and baldurs gate explaining the details of the error and retweet it all?

Because it really is a scam to buy a game in this state, it's not fair.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Fujicrow
Also, I have now been playing in split screen co-op for at least 20 hours on PC and I have to say that, even without freezing and lagging, the fact that the screen never merges like it did in DoS2 is extremely bothersome after a while. It's very hard to track where you are and where you are going and have to use the map very frequently while exploring. If the screen merge can't be implemented, I'd rather have cross-play tbh

Spending another 70/80€ to partially "fix" their broken game only benefits them.
I surely wont buy a second copy of it just to be able to somewhat play the game, this sounds really backwards to me atleast.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I posted this tweet, from a comment that a player posted right here, let's try to make some noise together.

We have to start somewhere.

https://twitter.com/xplicitcontnt/status/1701916765956063519?t=e05ZtOzuJiUTrJz0xDIXPA&s=19

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard