Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
Duration until short rest would make sense. 160?gp for boosting strength to 27 (30 gp for a boost to 21) according to bg3.wiki doesn't feel expensive at all.

Last edited by Staunton; 06/10/23 01:52 PM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
Z
addict
addict
Z
Actually I don't thing the strength potion is a big issue at all. They are way more broken elixirs like suprise or bloodlust.
What they offer is unique.
The maximum strength is any way 30 so it's way above that.
Mybe even more than 30 . I just dont find something else to improve it more.
I agree the amount of gold that we need to spend is cheap but magic items like +1 sword is even more cheaper.
But in the end it dosnt matter because to get money in this game is even easier then in divinity 1-2. So I don't even think nerfing the potion will make any difference.
If I can have 10 k gold at lvl 1 w/o cheating. What difference will it make to decrease to 1 hour or 10 turns.
I think devs realised this so they say'd make it an elixir.
But in the mean time they gived other powerfull elixirs as well.

Just they forget to adjust the game with difficulty with the same lvl.

Last edited by ZOZO1006; 06/10/23 01:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Tuco
No one who isn't a complete idiot is going to build a STR character with a primary stat gimped only because he can use extremely expensive consumables after every rest.

haha, they're not extremely expensive, not at all, why do you keep saying that? :rofl:javascript:quickReply(908896,1,0)

you seem to have a lot of skin in keeping these potions despite constantly saying how only idiots would use them...
Because 360 gold for a temporary buff IS expensive.

Especially for what''s functionally the equivalent of a +1 to hit/dmg for any character that didn't have STR as a gimped stat.
Because yes, that's what the difference between 18 and 21 is, in practical terms.

I know some of you are simply bad at understanding sub-systems and mathematical averages (which is why you cry yourselves to sleep for these potions and then shrug for far more egregious bullshit like Shove as a bonus action or the lack of an attunement system), but that's really your problem, not mine.

Also, it seems some of you struggle to grasp what the crux of the discussion should be, which is NOT the potion's existence in itself (since that's part of STANDARD D&D itemization) but how its duration had to be adapted to the peculiar way BG3 tracks the passing of time.

Last edited by Tuco; 06/10/23 03:54 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
S
Are you sure that's not the price of Elixir of Cloud Giant Strength which boosts str to 27?

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by KiwiLifter
After reading many of the replies, I'm struggling to understand why so many people defend the current duration of this potion. These potions allow the player to invest 17 starting points in a second category and potion their way through the game without risk.

1. It's 1 hour in default rules for a valid reason. The difference between one hour and long rest, as someone else noted, is massive.

Whenever I play a game that has timed consumables with short buffs (Dragon Dogma, Solasta, Skyrim, Fallout, etc...) I usually end up hoarding them because I don't want to use them "inefficiently".
I like to either reach a level of supply where I can manage permanent uptime on the effect, or save them for some mega min-maxed sprint. For example if I have an XP boosting potion and there's a limited supply in the game you can bet I'm only gonna pop it when I'm about to kill the one enemy in the game that awards the most XP, and only when I am under every single other XP multiplying effect in the game.

I think the way Larian has implemented "until long rest" effects actually encourages me to use my consumables because I can control when I got enough value out of them and end the effect. Similarly, I never find myself using the "lasts 10 turns" consumables because it never feels like this is the opportune time to get maximum value out of it.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No one who isn't a complete idiot is going to build a STR character with a primary stat gimped only because he can use extremely expensive consumables after every rest.

haha, they're not extremely expensive, not at all, why do you keep saying that? :rofl:javascript:quickReply(908896,1,0)

you seem to have a lot of skin in keeping these potions despite constantly saying how only idiots would use them...

Especially for what''s functionally the equivalent of a +1 to hit/dmg for any character that didn't have STR as a gimped stat.
Because yes, that's what the difference between 18 and 21 is, in practical terms.

I know some of you are simply bad at understanding sub-systems and mathematical averages (which is why you cry yourselves to sleep for these potions and then shrug for far more egregious bullshit like Shove as a bonus action or the lack of an attunement system), but that's really your problem, not mine.

Also, it seems some of you struggle to grasp what the crux of the discussion should be, which is NOT the potion's existence in itself (since that's part of STANDARD D&D itemization) but how its duration had to be adapted to the peculiar way BG3 tracks the passing of time.

Dude, for the 100th time, that's not how much it costs. When's the last time you played the game? Why do keep insisting it costs that much?

You can pick up three of them from Auntie for a couple hundred, yo. A couple hundred for all three, that is, not each.

You need a better dealer. My goodness.

lol, as for what the discussion *should* be, I'm the one who created the thread!

S
S
I am satisfied how they are. You still have to ration them smart. In addition there are way stronger candidates for potions.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 06/10/23 07:47 PM.
I always find it both sad and funny when some poster wants to change the game to fit "there version" of what they think the game should be... all because they obviously don't have the will power to resist these boosts themselves. Oh.. gosh! Someone is "cheating the game" is the wrong attitude to take, seriously let others play the game they want too. If they want to use these boosts like potions to "game" the system ... just let them. They paid for the game too, so let them play it their way, after all you are not their DM. And you play it your way... just enjoy the experience, and try out different ways rather than critiquing the way others "might" play the game.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Aazo
I always find it both sad and funny when some poster wants to change the game to fit "there version" of what they think the game should be... all because they obviously don't have the will power to resist these boosts themselves. Oh.. gosh! Someone is "cheating the game" is the wrong attitude to take, seriously let others play the game they want too. If they want to use these boosts like potions to "game" the system ... just let them. They paid for the game too, so let them play it their way, after all you are not their DM. And you play it your way... just enjoy the experience, and try out different ways rather than critiquing the way others "might" play the game.

Well, gosh, let's get potions that increase strength to 100. Just don't use it if you don't want it. And maybe a set of dice that always roll 20. Don't like 'em? Don't use 'em!

Feedback. It's a thing.

apprentice
apprentice
How about 72 gold is that expansive?

That's the price Auntie Ethel sells them for to a 16 charisma character. Even if you started the trade with a 10 charisma character it would only cost 90 gold.

Personally I am not bothered one way or another about their duration. I just want you to stop making things up to support your argument. Merchants do not sell an Elixir of Hill Giant Strength for 360 Gold.

S
S
Just stumbled upon 5e potions.

[Linked Image from staticdelivery.nexusmods.com]

E
stranger
stranger
E
Its filthy op, especially on classes with dual stat dependecies like pal or war cleric. You can get 4 potions per long rest in act1. Enough to last you entire game.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Where do you get so many of them? I had both Jaheira and Minsc run on builds that required Strength potions and my reserves ran empty quickly enough. Maybe I long rest too often. ^^;

B
old hand
old hand
B
Auntie sells 3 per day, the Abused Dwarf Wife sells 1-2 per day.

"Until Long Rest" is insane. Should be 6-10 turns.

Last edited by Buba68; 01/02/24 07:51 AM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Auntie doesn't like my any more in Act 3 and the dwarven alchemist only sells one every second or third day, sometimes I am lucky with ingredients though.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Stock up in Act 1? I usually end it having 10-20 in my backpack ...

addict
addict
Auntie is the last person I deal with before I finish act one and maybe some of act 2….

stranger
stranger
Agree, these elixirs should be nerfed to potions. When the best execution of a strength-based build is with strength 8 + elixirs it's just not how it should be.

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just wanted to revisit this thread and point out that, now after the game has been out for a while, we can clearly see how so many of the ridiculously overpowered builds are reliant on drinking strength potions every day.

I've been watching several build videos recently. So many of them are entirely based around nothing more than taking advantage of strength potions.

addict
addict
I just wanted to revisit this thread and point out that, now after the game has been out for a while, we can clearly see how so many of the ridiculously overpowered builds are reliant on drinking strength potions every day.

I've been watching several build videos recently. So many of them are entirely based around nothing more than taking advantage of strength potions.

Substance abuse rears its ugly head in BG?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard