Originally Posted by Dauyxe
Of course there is a possibility that I just happened to have a very stable playthrough and that's why can't recall any gringy dissonance. laugh I'll write down my playthrough briefly and if someone wants to add how other paths lead to something weird, feel free! I'm truly trying to check my own thinking here.

Tav: Hi, how do you feel about me?
Halsin: You seem like a good person, but I'm not available for a relationship right now. I have too much to worry about.
Tav: Yeah, sorry about that. I'll help you out.
Halsin: Thank you.

Tav: Hi, so how are we holding on now?
Halsin: You exceed my expectations. But I still can't, sorry.
Tav: I'm doing my best to help you, I promise.

Tav: Hi, you seem relieved now that we have lifted the curse.
Halsin: I am. You are so exceptional and now I feel like maybe I haven't paid enough attention to myself for a long time.
Tav: Yeah, but that's understandable. You have a lot of responsibilities.
Halsin: I do. But if you are open to it, I actually do have feelings for you.
Tav: I have feelings for you, too, but I'm already in a relationship.
Halsin: That's true and I don't want to cheat on anyone. So let's continue this only if you and your partner are alright with an open relationship.
Tav: Yeah, about that. What do you mean?
Halsin: I have strong feelings for you. I don't fall in love easily, but you are so exceptional. I love you and would want to see where this goes. However, my nature is such that I want to be free to have relationships with other people, too. While I have no one at the moment, that's important to me. I understand if you don't feel the same and don't want to continue because of that.
Tav: I think that sounds good. I'll ask how my partner feels about the idea.

Tav: Hi! They said that they are alright with us.
Halsin: That's such a relief, because I really like you a lot. Sex?
Tav: Sex.

Tav: So, what's up?
Halsin: You are still so wonderful.
Tav: A kiss, then?

Halsin: Now that we've defeated the baddies and saved everyone, I have figured out what I want to do.
Tav: Oh?
Halsin: Yeah, all these kids we saved need a dad and I really want to be that to them. I want to build a refugee camp and take care of everyone again. I'm actually really excited about finding a new path in my life!
Tav: That's so great! Good for you.
Halsin: Yeah... So I was wondering if you'd want to come with me, or...? I mean it's totally fine if you have other plans. I'll just miss you, that's all.
Tav: I'll miss you too. I think I'll have another path for now, but you never know when we'll meet again.
Halsin: You'll always have a place in my heart, love.

And that is exactly why I think there are some people who enjoy his romance - the ones that did not wait for him to have him as single romance option but to have him on the side as additional lover with Astarion or Shadowheart as major love interest starting from act 1.

It is understandable that you aren't upset you can't come with him at the end because you have another lover with who, I suppose, you stayed at the end.

Or did you tell Astarion/Shadowheart too that you might come visit them (I don't know if this is an option). Or how would you feel if they would tell you they leave you and you might come visit if you like and leave you behind without option to tell them that you like to stay with them and come with them right now? Because with Halsin we can't. He decides he leaves and we can't say we want to go with him.