Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 56 of 157 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 156 157
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by sailorgundam
So many players dropped their campaigns (or speedran to the end just for the sake of ending) after the Gortash scene/ Karlach’s monologue. That seems proof enough that there’s a BIG problem here.

I have a question: Can ascended vampire Astarion bite Karlach and make her a spawn?

He can’t bite her at first because she’ll burn him, but he should be able to after the upgrades. What is the twist for him not to be able to do that?

I’m very curious. It’d be wild if THAT allowed her to stay in Faerun, but someone would’ve already screamed about it if it were a possibility, I assume.

Considering there are approximately 86 lore-accurate ways to save Karlach already that Larian just ignores, I wouldn't count on it.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sunriders Destin
So many players dropped their campaigns (or speedran to the end just for the sake of ending) after the Gortash scene/ Karlach’s monologue. That seems proof enough that there’s a BIG problem here.

I have a question: Can ascended vampire Astarion bite Karlach and make her a spawn?

He can’t bite her at first because she’ll burn him, but he should be able to after the upgrades. What is the twist for him not to be able to do that?

I’m very curious. It’d be wild if THAT allowed her to stay in Faerun, but someone would’ve already screamed about it if it were a possibility, I assume.

Considering there are approximately 86 lore-accurate ways to save Karlach already that Larian just ignores, I wouldn't count on it.

I’m certain it doesn’t work. But WHY? I’m curious what’s the specific roadblock they put there.

Rawr.
A
stranger
stranger
A
For me WOTR is much better. I like mechanical complexity, mythic paths are very fun and actually influence the plot and the ending. Overall plot was complete enough for me on release and didn't suffer from "this companion is written so bad I'm gonna wait for EE". Main story is more reactive to the player.

It isn't perfect either. The game was and still is ridden with bugs and some endgame mythic paths are lackluster. But I had more fun.

apprentice
apprentice
I mean, even if you don't like your mythic path end there always be a perfect secret ending. It's really hard to get, but change your ending is possible.
I really wish something like this for Karlach.

Justice for Karlach!
R
Rae Offline
R
WOTR is great. Until I had 80% of the game completed, I still didn't know who will be the boss at the end. Companions and their quests were awesome, epilog was awesome, described in details consequences of my decisions and my romance ended exactly as I wanted, because it whole made complete sence in the story.

Of course the game has some issues, but in such a big story is it kinda "expected".

Originally Posted by Rae
WOTR is great. Until I had 80% of the game completed, I still didn't know who will be the boss at the end. Companions and their quests were awesome, epilog was awesome, described in details consequences of my decisions and my romance ended exactly as I wanted, because it whole made complete sence in the story.

Of course the game has some issues, but in such a big story is it kinda "expected".

I just checked Wrath of the Righteous real quick, and it seems all of the female romanceable characters are evil, aside from one chaotic neutral succubus. Not exactly spoiled for choice there, hahahah.

Edit: I forgot about the Queen but she's not exactly a standard companion.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 21/09/23 12:27 PM.
R
Rae Offline
R
Originally Posted by Walking Kole
Originally Posted by Rae

I just checked Wrath of the Righteous real quick, and it seems all of the female romanceable characters are evil, aside from one chaotic neutral succubus. Not exactly spoiled for choice there, hahahah.

Edit: I forgot about the Queen but she's not exactly a standard companion.

Probably, Wenduag and Camellia were evil, but I romanced that succubus - Arueshalae and her quest was really good when she was alone and desperate at the beggining and happy and with my Tav at the end, so good ending for sure. I wish the same thing will be possible with Karlach.

He can’t bite her at first because she’ll burn him, but he should be able to after the upgrades.

When I took Karlach with me to Cazador's fight every bat that tried to bite her immediately burnt to death, so I have a big suspicion that the upgrade only helps her external temperature.

That's if we're ignoring the "not being able to explore options" part.

(Also, from what I've heard about ascended Astarion's attitude, I'm not quite sure Karlach would even want a (yet another) master over her like that.)

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by tarraxahum

He can’t bite her at first because she’ll burn him, but he should be able to after the upgrades.

When I took Karlach with me to Cazador's fight every bat that tried to bite her immediately burnt to death, so I have a big suspicion that the upgrade only helps her external temperature.

That's if we're ignoring the "not being able to explore options" part.

(Also, from what I've heard about ascended Astarion's attitude, I'm not quite sure Karlach would even want a (yet another) master over her like that.)

This is what I was thinking too. Karlach already suffered for ages under the tyranny of a demon master, she would probably not accept being under astarion as her master.
Now I got a question tho, Im not very well knowledgeable in DnD, but how would Karlach becoming a spawn would make the engine go away?? Would it stop working if she died and came back as a spawn or would it just explode??

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Regarding dnd lore and vampire spawn for a minute, was anyone else expecting astarion to like...you know...revert baxk to mortal status after cazador rather then remain a spawn? The whole master vampire trope etc etc. I thought that was in dnd lore but i could be wrong (ill keep future posts pointed on karlach but this has been on my mind)

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I believe vampires have to be ritualistically killed otherwise they poof away and regenerate their bodies.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Redemption and aligment change is a major theme of WOTR. Spoilers incoming.

Camellia is
'redemption trap', she is twisted by her nature and could not be changed, but lures 'I can fix her' folks effectively into her romance and makes people doubt their morals in regards of her looks(crazy/hot scale is off the charts).

Arue is a demon and
couldn't be redeemed by normal means because demons embody evil concepts and are born from the souls of sinners condemned to the Abyss, but her special case is that her 'soul' recieved divine intervention from a major good goddess and now she tries to overcome her demonic nature with the help of said goddess and MC. To nudge her a bit in the right direction or make her fall to her previous state is ultimately players' call.

Wenduag is
a mutant born of lineage of humans influenced by a certain demon's poison which makes them ugly, short lived and 'a bit' feral. She lived a very harsh life under the city, fighting for survival. She learned to trust nobody and that it's safe to pledge allegiance to whomever seems stronger. In truth she is only loyal to herself and her idea of serving the strong to eventually aquire or steal their strenght for herself. In her romance she could be 'calmed down' and learn to trust people more despite her awful life experience, shifting her to true neutral aligment. She is the most complex and deep companion from my opinion because she hides her true motives well and her action suddenly become more human if you try to put yourself in her shoes.

In regards to Karlach only Camellia's path is kinda similar because
you can't change her nature no matter what. However, game also implies that such cases are nothing short of micarles performed by the gods (Arue) and you can either accept her twisted being for what it is, or put her down for good. Her route is not about you influencing her, but about her influencing you, making you forgive more and more of her atrocities for the sake of love.

Fair enough, by the way, I don't think being a spawn saves you from getting exploded from the inside, and vampire venom would do nothing to the engine I don't think... Astarion himself is clearly killable by explosions, as the gameplay shows :")

For some reason I got hung up on the "can he even bite her" part first

I believe vampires have to be ritualistically killed otherwise they poof away and regenerate their bodies.

Oooh

...in that case if not for the whole master-spawn thing and the fact that our girl is unbiteable that would be an almost funny way to circumvent the engine problem.

Filed right under all the other means of resurrection and regeneration we have to ignore which don't even require her to never see sun again.

Although I gotta say why the hell do I have to revive Astarion personally then if he walls in battle, does tadpole block THAT ability too (I know that the answer is 'gameplay', I know) laugh

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Funny that every day the ever expanding lists of not only inlore but ingame ways Karlach could effectively get a more positive outcome grows.

Glad we're all still around, keep the voices loud and chins up.

journeyman
journeyman

Interesting! So she probably still burns everything.

Oh, of course. Karlach as a character would disapprove of _everything_ related to this idea.

I was just thinking of possible loopholes that I haven’t seen explored in this thread yet. Her story has quite a few holes in the game so I was wondering if perhaps they forgot to close down some unlikely avenues. But it seems they did, even if in a sort of lazy way.

Rawr.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by G4RIIK
Funny that every day the ever expanding lists of not only inlore but ingame ways Karlach could effectively get a more positive outcome grows.

Speaking of which, I’d totally bargain with Vlaakith for the prism/Orpheus for her Wish spell to fix Karlach.

I mean, if Karlach can’t live, why should anyone? Not in my play lol

Rawr.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I would prefer if they scrap exploding engine plot point altogether. If they don't and introduce a fix there would be virtually no reason to go down her 'explode' route. Routes must be equal in terms of reasons why should I chose one or another.

For example if they refactor her story into power fantasy one, then there could be a valid choice between going full power demonic unhinged barbarian who clocks her engine to the moon and decides to avenge herself, kill Zariel and take the place in Avernus for herself, or stabilize the engine giving up some power and go adventuring with her friends while fighting off occasional Zariel lackeys or two, e. g. Ultimate Power vs Ultimate Frienship.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Aron Dalentor
I would prefer if they scrap exploding engine plot point altogether. If they don't and introduce a fix there would be virtually no reason to go down her 'explode' route. Routes must be equal in terms of reasons why should I chose one or another.

For example if they refactor her story into power fantasy one, then there could be a valid choice between going full power demonic unhinged barbarian who clocks her engine to the moon and decides to avenge herself, kill Zariel and take the place in Avernus for herself, or stabilize the engine giving up some power and go adventuring with her friends while fighting off occasional Zariel lackeys or two, e. g. Ultimate Power vs Ultimate Frienship.

There's ABSOLUTELY a way to still have her explode ending.

If Dammon die, if the Gondians die, if Barcus Wroot doesn't become the Ironhand leader.

There's tons of ways to do it.

I do see your point, but the "take the place in Avernus for herself" route is hardly in-character for her, no matter how you slice it

General revenge - maybe, sort of (although it doesn't really satisfy her, as Gortash shows), but power doesn't seem like her style. And I wager none of us really want to see the character herself re-written - we love her for a reason, and her being different from the other companions in terms of her struggle is part of that reason, I think.

I'd say in her case the routes should me more equal in terms of "likely to happen", rather than reasons.

As in, I'd say the 'best' option should be hard to get and easy to miss or screw up, so that the 'bad' routes still bear significance. Well, that - or maybe the price should be steep, so the player theoretically has motivation to NOT go that way?

Page 56 of 157 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard