Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 93 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 92 93
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I think you're confusing what the issue for most of us is. The issue is not the polygamy as such, but the rigid uncomprosing approach to relationship anarchist that comes of like a manipulate fling at Tav's expense.
The other part is Halsin going from seeming to want attachment over sex, and then makes a 180 i acvt 3 and wants sex over attachment. That combined with the disturbing drow stuff, and his overall behaviour that disregards that he just an act before was lecturing Shadowheart like she was a child, and his comeplete distaste of Astarion's morals - that suddenly goes out the window because the shadow curse was cured and now his bear is horny.

His romance from act 3 becomes such an incoherent mess that it's constant whiplash.

But you make an interesting point: If Tav is not allowed to say "I prefer monogamy myself, and do you think you might consider exploring that possibility?" Why is Halsin allowed to say "If you want to be with me you HAVE to be polygamist and you HAVE to respect that I am RA, and thereby refuse to call it a relationship."

And yet the same man says: "I can scarcely imagine my life without you now", "I only want you", and "I belong at your side"

Not to mention "Now is the time to take care of each other" But I have made this decision to leave without your input in the discussion at all, but I would very much like it if you come by and bang okay?

And let us not fdorget the way Halsin says "Come now. You know what we have is more founded in the principles of nature." Completely dismissing that Tav is asking specifically about having a relationship and he trivializes it to "You know better" (I am pretty sure this wasn't the writers intend, though).

The way he is written, there is subtle manipulation and gaslighting going on, and his trauma from multiple sources makes the polygamy and RA seem like a defense mechanism and NOT a healthy polygamy ideal.

And that is what is the issue. Not necesarrily that Halsin is polygamous (personally, I am not bothered), but the way it is portrayed and negates the severity of struggles in male SA victims.

And yes, Halsin has an unhealthy drow fetish, because it is directly tied to trauma that hasn't been resolved and is instead being charged into his sexuality.

Last edited by Cowoline; 24/09/23 01:33 PM.
There is no contradiction, from the start he says no monogamy, he explains it too.
Yes, he only wants us, but he also wants to be free, that's not a contradiction.

E
E
Originally Posted by Seho
There is no contradiction, from the start he says no monogamy, he explains it too.
Yes, he only wants us, but he also wants to be free, that's not a contradiction.

Then he should also be open about it from the start and not reveal said fact AFTER he's already romanced the hell out of Tav with monogamy-alined dialogue and views and a personality that seems more long-term attachment than casual sex. The problem isn't him wanting to be free, it's the fact that everything about Halsin is a one-sided conversation where Tav isn't allowed to respond. It's "my way or no way", and that ultimatum "comes out of the blue" so to speak. Nothing about Halsin in ACT I and ACT II makes you believe he's just there for sex, rather the opposite. And for me, that's a problem. Not only because transparency, honesty and consent would be pretty important things in an open relationship, but also because they way he's written now makes it feel like you've been tricked into something you didn't want. Like Halsin has manipulated Tav into falling in love him him for the sole reason he wanted to f**k them.

Can you really not see where the criticism comes from here? How his behavior and this "relationship" can be interpreted as toxic?

Last edited by EMar; 24/09/23 02:03 PM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
If 18/20 says that it was not worded in a way that made this clear: Then yes, there is a communication problem.
If 18/20 is highly unsatisfied with the romance that was marketed as specifically catered as fanservice to those who requested it: Then it's a failed product/service

And at the heart of it, the romance is lacking two way communication, which is why; yes, it is highly contradicting all the way through.

- The writing was not clear enough
- The romance was not catered to the majority of people who requested it as advertised
- He went from focusing on emotional attachment to simply sex
- In the same breath he says "Time to take care of each other" and then leaves Tav without any input that he is willing to consider

Manipulation of Consent: Consent is a cornerstone of RA, but in a toxic situation, the gaslighter may manipulate or disregard consent. They might guilt-trip their partner into doing things they're uncomfortable with or coerce them into situations they initially rejected, using gaslighting to make them doubt their own decisions.

They have tried to get close to this, but the fail the bar. Because of how Halsin addresses these issues with no discussion, it becomes exactly the above. It removes agency and play choice - which is ironic given that the used the bear sex scene as an example of the value of player choice.

Consent and input is a cornerstone of RA and polygamy - this is not what is happening here.

What is worse is that Larian has done this before with The Red Prince in DOS2 - and that was just as big of a twisted manipulating mess.

Also, you never answered this: (genuinely curious)

If Tav is not allowed to say "I prefer monogamy myself, and do you think you might consider exploring that possibility?" Why is Halsin allowed to say "If you want to be with me you HAVE to be polygamist and you HAVE to respect that I am RA, and thereby refuse to call it a relationship."

Last edited by Cowoline; 24/09/23 02:10 PM.
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
What is worse is that Larian has done this before with The Red Prince in DOS2 - and that was just as big of a twisted manipulating mess.

Well, maybe it's not a mistake but by design...

Did they fixed that red lizard's romance? (I didn't romance anyone in DOS2 back in the day) And if they didn't, can we possibly expect that they'll fix any of these romances?

E
E
I doubt that they will fix it. I do feel like they might fix the end so you can ask to come with him, but other than that, I think we're stuck with what we've got.

Also doubt that they've done him like this by design. Well, they probably could have done it, but then I'd consider it a fail too. Because if this is their intention, shouldn't that fact be a little more obvious? If the players interpret something as "sloppy writing" rather than an "unconventional choice" haven't the writers missed the mark? It doesn't feel like any of this was intentional. So either way it would need a fix, either to clarify that they actually wanted Halsin to be a manipulative jerk looking for casual sex, or to make his ACT 3 personality match with that of ACT1-2.

Last edited by EMar; 24/09/23 02:26 PM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
They did not fix it, but it was.... bad. And it might have been by design, but if you set out to write a disappointing romance, perhaps that is not the best strategy?

And Halsin was specifically added as fanservice. Seems odd to add him for fanservice and then make him part of their "1% content."

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I also have a feeling it will only be minor changes if any. Obviously his writer has a prefference for this type of content - which is actually fine. Representation is fine.

Should it have been a character added as Fanservice? No, that should have been a romance as approachable for as many as possible since it was so widely requested

Should it have been added? Sure, with a character designed fdor it from the beginning and with the level of detail it deserved.

In Act 1 and 2 there is nothing with a possible mono relationship, it's their interpretation...
Larian knows how many players "took" Halsin and this forum proves nothing.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Now if IS by design, it would kinda make sense with those characters.

I dont remember much about the Red Prince, only that he was kinda an a***ole. Maybe they reflect that on his romance?

Shadowheart, I can see her manipulating us through her campaign (due to her background and all the Red flags she has), and at the same time be totally honest and having heart to heart moments with Tav.

Halsin, supposedly was a sex slave at some point in his live (I don't know, this is just what I've read from y'all), maybe he developed some kind of twisted sexual desire.

Astarion, seems to be the one that is less comfortable with the whole situation, but he seems to be an "evil" character, so maybe it makes sense?

Maybe the real problem is that those characters don't give you any kind of foreshadow about their preferences, but maybe they're design to be that way...

Disclaimer: I'm talking what I've gathered by reading y'all, it's very possible that I'm very wrong in this comment.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I am sorry. I thought the game was supposed to be written and designed for the players. And that fan service was something added to the game as a way of enhancing player experience.

I was also under the misconception that when you write for any medium you are trying to convey a specific story, where the recipient was engaged and continued to be so.

My mistake.

And how people "took Halsin" proves that it failed to connect with the audience they were trying to please by adding him as a romance.

But since you don't actually answer any of our questions or give any feedback other than "you're wrong" without anything to support this claim, then I would suggest you re-read the information we have given, so you can add more meaningful information to support your point - if it is your intention to change our minds and think Halsin is fantastically written and a healthy representation of polygamy and RA.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
True, but where Halsin differs is that he wants to sleep with the drow slaves because it reminds him of when he was a slave in the Underdark (SA) and was likely forced into cannibalism.

He also mentions that he has been to the Underdark many times, which only makes that more disturbing.

The difference with him is, unlike Shadowheart and Astarion, you are not actually dealing with it. He tells you after the fact and that's the only way to gain this knowledge and in addition says "it's fine. It's become a fond memory now."

Yes... you were so traumatized that you developed into a fetish and now have attachment and commitment issues in this one specific area in your life, when you gravitate towards stability and long lasting connection everywhere else in your life.

Yes, Halsin, you're the picture of mental health.

Also, he was added as fanservice, so why add him and disappoint fans instead of giving them something they enjoy?

(TRP cheats on his fiance with you, and then says he wont be with you at the end of the game, but offers you to be his slave)

Last edited by Cowoline; 24/09/23 03:01 PM.
old hand
old hand
"a fond memory" - suspicion think confused

Okay. This has to be a joke. Larian makes all sorts of inappropriate jokes in their games, this is just... another one. It must be.

He can't be dutiful and romantic if he's not mono... I've read that here all the time and it's wrong.
Halsin makes it clear (before sex) he is poly, very simple or not? He is not a puppet that we can manipulate.
I have girlfriends and all of them had no problem with it and we are all mono.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
No, pay attention. What you have read is "Halsin gives off the vibe of wanting long-term commitment (even says and is referred to by the game as such) - so it is extremely unsatisfying that he is then unwilling to commit"

This is not "Halsin has to be mono" this is "Tav deserves agency in the romance, and there should be an option for long term commitment in more than a singular form dictated solely by Halsin".

Awesome that you have girlfriends. You are at no point Halsin's partner, however. He directly refuses to be your partner.

That is the deal-breaker.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I really wish it was... but I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Cowoline
True, but where Halsin differs is that he wants to sleep with the drow slaves because it reminds him of when he was a slave in the Underdark (SA) and was likely forced into cannibalism.

He also mentions that he has been to the Underdark many times, which only makes that more disturbing.

The difference with him is, unlike Shadowheart and Astarion, you are not actually dealing with it. He tells you after the fact and that's the only way to gain this knowledge and in addition says "it's fine. It's become a fond memory now."

Yes... you were so traumatized that you developed into a fetish and now have attachment and commitment issues in this one specific area in your life, when you gravitate towards stability and long lasting connection everywhere else in your life.

Yes, Halsin, you're the picture of mental health.

Also, he was added as fanservice, so why add him and disappoint fans instead of giving them something they enjoy?

(TRP cheats on his fiance with you, and then says he wont be with you at the end of the game, but offers you to be his slave)

Well, damn... I think It'll better if I keep playing without romance. Maybe just Bae'zel, as far I know, she has the most 'normal' romance (funny how the 'easiest' character, it's potentially the most loyal).

veteran
veteran
The rest of the romances are playersexual. Why not poly/mono as well?

I read correctly.
We also only have mono companions and Halsin is poly, that's okay too.

old hand
old hand
Well, we've already sort of discussed the chimera thing, which seems to be another inappropriate Halsin-related joke (that fortunately has been cut). Chimeras are self-aware magical beasts with some capacity for language, so they're not quite animals, but they're still probably far from being able to give informed consent when it comes to sex. Larian obviously wasn't thinking about such things when they wrote that exchange, though - they just thought it was funny. This game is full of dark humor.

I remember some controversy over a similar "humorous" exchange between characters in Pillars of Eternity 2. It didn't make the final cut either, but folks found it in the files. Humor is quite a tricky thing (as are issues surrounding sexual abuse).

Page 18 of 93 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard