Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Alphaey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
So this is gonna be a big spoiler tag watch out. Now I don't know if this has been mentioned before or has been fixed but I've been lazy and only got around to bring it up now and didn't find anything about it in the patch notes (as far as I remember) it happend around patch 1 think so correct me if it has been changed and if you haven't done both sides of act 1 and won't NO act 1 spoilers just don't click.

If you
    kill the druids at the grove
    then tell the goblins where the grove is ignore them have them as they raid (This is a maybe I am not sure was my first playthrough).
    Proceed to save Halsin tell Halsin you killed the druids for what they were gonna do he accepts it but when he proceeds to return to the grove only to learn the goblins raided.
    We then proceeded to kill all the goblins leaders because screw them this isn't what we wanted we want Halsin!

Here is where I feel like stuff starts not adding up....

If you side with the goblins Wyll and Karlach leaves you for your actions. They did not leave us they basically didn't view it as us having sided with the goblins, but Halsin attacked us at our camp a few nights later and there is no option at all to explain anything he just gets mad at you despite already being aware you killed the druids and perhaps being aware you also killed the goblins.

Karlach and Wyll doesn't care which they should but he does overall it just feels a bit confusing and unintended? Like only half the characters are aware of what happend and it might be because we weren't at the grove during the raid but still why does Halsin care then? Feels like this weird back and forth accidental path could use a revisit if it hasn't because you can easily accidentally tell the goblins the location in the heat of the moment but either Karlach and Wyll should be aware of it and Halsin should be act different because he is aware you killed the druids or he should yeah idk something that feels more logical? Hard to put words on it. I am fine if it is the intended outcome the interactions just feel off.

The reason I decided to eventually post this is because it feels like such an edge case it might not have been experienced a lot? lol

To clarify why we did the way we did:

We were trying to be double double agents playing both sides to stall the situation we weren't actually trying to raid the grove LOL.

Last edited by Alphaey; 27/09/23 03:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure I'm following.

You said:

1. You told Minthara where the grove was, and

2. You didn't go to the grove to protect it from Minthara's raid, but

3. You did kill all three of the goblin leaders.

How did you kill all three of the leaders if you didn't protect the grove from Minthara? Are you saying that Minthara's raid slaughtered everyone in the grove, and then you killed her afterwards?

If that's the case, of course Halsin is upset. You told them where the grove was. You let them murder everyone in the grove.

Or am I misunderstanding something you're saying?

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Man, I thought I played the game in an unconventional way that introduced a few quirky interactions, but this is a whole different level. My hat's off to you for the weirdness factor, and I'm all for respecting player choice and emergent gameplay and all the rest of it. But I think at a certain point a developer is justified in saying "we're not gonna bother trying to anticipate every possible weird configuration of outcomes that a player could engineer." Like, it's a ROLEplaying game. You are playing a ROLE. Can you come up with any non-video-gamey reason for your character to act the way they did? You had two possible leads on how to solve your problem: you killed one of them, and you killed all of the other one's friends, and you did it in a really strange order.

You did what you did because you decided you, the player, didn't like the outcome of not getting Halsin as a companion. Leaving aside that you really should have been able to guess you were foreclosing on that option by killing all his friends and then letting the goblins slaughter a bunch of civilians, the answer is to go back and load an old save and do it differently. The answer is not "well I'll just kill even more people."

I do agree with you that it seems like broken reactivity if Wyll and Karlach don't leave you in this scenario, because not only did you side with the goblins and doom a bunch of civilians to die, but you also eliminated their only line of defense first. But again, this is such a weird way to do Act 1. And I'm a guy who often does things in a weird order. My dumb brain read a throwaway line in the quest journal as suggesting that I should do things in what turned out to be the very incorrect order in Act 3, which resulted in me missing some cinematics and not witnessing some events and not getting to intervene in some things. It was such a bummer that I bailed on the playthrough, at least for now. But even that wasn't as wild as what you're describing here, and the reactivity wasn't broken, it just wasn't as fun. I can't stress enough that I understand the struggle of being a weirdo who plays games weird, but some things are too weird to expect a developer to plan for.

A
Alphaey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Yes

Was my first playthrough did it with a friend so we just accidentally slept through the raid not understanding what we did lol

A
Alphaey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Oh yeah totally agree I just heard Larian Studios tries their best to make even the 1% scenarios add up

I don't care that the outcome is "Halsin hates you" but the fact he is fine 1 second ago with us killing the druids but is mad when the goblins do it but Wyll and Karlach did not care and he also did not care to realise we killed the goblin leaders after learning what happens when accepted we killed all the druids because of their ritual just makes his character seem completely random even if it is the intended outcome.

I edited OP to clarify our actions.

Last edited by Alphaey; 27/09/23 03:59 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I don't think the bug is with Halsin at all. It's with Wyll and Karlach.
Halsin accepts that you killed the druids because they were in the wrong. What he does not accept is that you told the goblins where the grove was, because that means the goblins killed all the refugees. He can't accept that. The bug here is that Wyll and Karlach apparently don't notice that you got all those refugees killed.

Link Copied to Clipboard