S
stranger
stranger
S
look, a powertripper

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
Actually elder brains in 5E are kinda weak. Larian invented a lot of bs for BG3 but by rules elder brains are kinda defenseless and rely on mind flayers to weaken enemies so that it can even attempt to read minds or implant suggestions. On their own they cant really read minds or dominate others unless in close proximity.

Any of the giths red dragons would in most cases wipe the floor with the brain.

Well acktually...it's a Netherbrain.

Also the intelligence, telepathy, and various psionic abilities is why they are so dangerous. They can mobilize and control massive armies.

Blackheifer
R
R
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
act 1 is the only good act, it rewards choices with new interactions that lead to other new interactions, acts 2 and 3 are linear as hell and involve half the RP, the more towards the end you go the less RP and agency you have. Until you get to the end and pick two endings that are in no way influenced by any choice you ever made troughout the game.
Act1 was an ad, a very good one.
I'm more inclined to say 'bait-and-switch' myself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually elder brains in 5E are kinda weak. Larian invented a lot of bs for BG3 but by rules elder brains are kinda defenseless and rely on mind flayers to weaken enemies so that it can even attempt to read minds or implant suggestions. On their own they cant really read minds or dominate others unless in close proximity.

Wow, really? I’m familiar only with 3E lore about elder brains, and their challenge rating was 25+… more than Ancient Red Dragon, on par with top demon lords and arch dukes. Yeah it has no physical might, but it’s an epic level spellcaster with catastrophic psionic power. You have to take on that plus all of the top dogs protecting the brain like ulitharids and alhoons.

And our milf loving shoemaker first walked in Mephistopheles vault (it is soo bad how he describes it in his journal, literally: “so anyways i was burgling the Crown of Karsus from the vault and noticed a cute book called “the grand design” which described some illithid ’s plan for world domination, soo i took that too, noice”. And then he walks into an elder brain chamber and puts the crown on it. Ez pz lemon squeezy.

Who even came up with that ?

Last edited by ladydub; 03/10/23 11:08 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Also the intelligence, telepathy, and various psionic abilities is why they are so dangerous. They can mobilize and control massive armies.
A elder brain only has 21 Int. A PC can have more.
And WotC decided it was too complicated to have long spell lists for monsters, so the psionic abilities of a brain got reduced to a short range mind blast, detect thoughts and dominate person once a day as per normal spell rules.
The brain is aware of all thinking beings in a 5 mile radius, but can only really influence them if they are in incapacitated.

There is a reason why elder brains are only challenge rating 14 in 5E.

veteran
veteran

And WotC decided it was too complicated to have long spell lists for monsters, so the psionic abilities of a brain got reduced to a short range mind blast, detect thoughts and dominate person once a day as per normal spell rules.
The brain is aware of all thinking beings in a 5 mile radius, but can only really influence them if they are in incapacitated.

Yes, but Netherbrain :P

I couldn't find a stat block for it. It took me to a page with a stat block for a Tarrasque with an Elder Brain in place of it's little peanut size dinosaur brain, which I will just assume is the same as a Netherbrain.

I would also accept a stat block for a Death Star with an Elder brain inside of it.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 04/10/23 03:09 AM.

Blackheifer
I
old hand
old hand
I

I couldn't find a stat block for it. It took me to a page with a stat block for a Tarrasque with an Elder Brain in place of it's little peanut size dinosaur brain, which I will just assume is the same as a Netherbrain.

I would also accept a stat block for a Death Star with an Elder brain inside of it.
Netherbrain is a Larian invention like so many things in BG3

veteran
veteran

Netherbrain is a Larian invention like so many things in BG3

As is tradition.

I would also accept a Flumph with a Nuke.

Blackheifer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard