Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
I would love to see Nere become a companion! From a RP perspective he could serve as conduit to glve the players a glimpse into drow society from a perspective of a man (as a mirror to our female drow companion). His banter with Minthara would have been hilarious too. I could see potential for an interesting rivalry mechanic going on between them. On a shallow note, I like his character model and outfit, he would have been a pretty addition to my drow Tav's camp.
The game clearly favours the good path, which is a shame because both routes are equally valid and the amount of content should be comparable.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by For Khaine
So , we lose 4 companions with their lore , quests and storylines in Evil playstyle for only one - Minthara. The Evil playstyle requires more content , maybe 1-2 additional companions , and Nere one of the best for this. Especially Minthara and Nere have the dialogues about each other , if you met one of them before. Would be fun to see them both in your camp smile.
Nere really looks like cutted content from the game.

I made a similar post here
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=891924&page=11
The game is definitely lacking evil companions, terrible trade off in any hostage situation or prisoner exchange.

Originally Posted by Rookie1978
I don't understand what the point of Nere was. He's got such a time-sacred quest just for keeping him alive, and the only purpose of saving him seems to be immediately killing him after you rescue him. He doesn't end up doing anything for the player. What's the point in building him up like that?

Right? I absolutely agree. I killed him for the boots, hells with saving him if he isn't gonna join me. Same goes for Dhourn, he has part of the ice staff.

All in all, we could use a Bard companion and Nere would definitely fit the bill, especially for an evil playthrough that is lacking companions.

Last edited by BhaalSpawnKensei; 10/11/23 05:59 PM.

~Kensei~
stranger
stranger
It is a little bit redundant since we already have Minthara. Maybe Nere orders one of the duergar or gnomes to accompany us instead. I think he’s crazy enough to give us a person as a reward, lol.

Last edited by Laurentia; 10/11/23 07:11 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Hmmm, I don't think it'd be redundant. It's common knowledge that the cost is too great when it comes to recruiting Minthara. (losing Halsin, Karlach, and Wyll) so it would be nice to have another companion who could accompany you. It's a plus that he is evil aligned, however the very fact that you are also able to convince him to abandon the Absolute gives him so much potential as a character imo.

L
addict
addict
L
Nere is probably the best example of how lacking and generally railroady the evil routes of this game are. He has unique loot that yu can't get if you let him live. He dies anyways if you spare him, despite his offer to recruit the Order of Soul Spiders as allies (seems like obvious cut content for the endgame where you gather all your allies for the final battle), doesn't reward you with anything meaningful if you save him, and is written in such a way to make you despise him, even if you are rp as an evil character.

And to boot, his death is required for the resolution/continuation of several plotlines. The whole thing with the Deep gnomes and Barcus, and his head for the Myconid questline.

You get nothing of worth for helping him and lose on a ton of things in tradeoff. Nothing in his interactions has any followup later in the game despite indicating it will. It's a huge letdown, honestly.

Honestly, I kinda like him better than Minthara in some respects. Despite her great acting, I'm kinda disappointed with how Larian wrote her to be nicer and more accepting despite being an evil-run exclusive party member. Nere is at least consistently a reprehensible person, and he's faithful to Lolth, which would be a nice break from the 'ubiquitous heretic drow party member' that D&D rpgs love so much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard