Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 93 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 92 93
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Thank you! I think this would have happy medium for us. Not ideal for some I know, but you would feel like your feelings and identity matters without compromising Halsin's.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by EdaLee
I'm for consistency, Halsin was introduced that way, it's his personality, he doesn't have to be like the others.
That makes me think of Dragon Age, hmm... there was cute Dorian, a lot of girls wanted him, but there was something right? And he is just an example. So you see the developers don't have to do anything.
Your example actually didn't affect the game, but for other reasons, it was already dead.

Lol
Dorian is a wonderful character, his orientation is the basis of his story and one of the reasons for the conflict. It could not be redone and there was no need. There was a cool flirtation with him if you play for a girl. And a sense of true friendship.
Halsin's preferences just fall on your head in Act 3. With the same success, after he forced the Tav to confess his interest, he could say that he expected that Tav would now walk on her hands, or stop eating meat or anything else.
The dialogue in the 3rd act has nothing to do with his personality in the first 2 act.
And yes, you're right, the comparison with Jaal is unfair, changes doesn't affect the Jaal. But it completely destroyed the entire image Halsin from the first 2 acts.
Constantly in the posts of monogamous people write that they are not against the polygamous option. But advocates of polygamy are constantly against other way. As if you consider yourself superior to others.

You have a good idea how to solve it. I want to go with him, had even made a druid.

They are against his character. Cowoline had a good idea without really changing him.
We say yes, he should say it in act 1 or 2, but yes I have something against it and no people didn't celebrate his bi direction either, the game was dead anyway.

Flirting with Dorian won't get a girl into a relationship, so please...

Last edited by EdaLee; 03/10/23 09:55 AM. Reason: Edit
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Agreed! And thank you <3

Gladly smile
Let's see if Larian reads this and likes it.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
They are against his character. Cowoline had a good idea without really changing him.
We say yes, he should say it in act 1 or 2, but yes I have something against it and no people didn't celebrate his bi direction either, the game was dead anyway.

Flirting with Dorian won't get a girl into a relationship, so please...

The character of Halsin is visible in the first 2 acts and he looks like absolutely monogamous or prone to long-term responsible relationships.
What we saw in the 3rd act is one big pile of garbage. Where in the mix, the dialogue about the shining love of the and escaping of Halsin from the life of Tav.
In my game, because of a bug, even without the final scene.

Flirting with Dorian is great.
Have you ever thought that you can flirt just because you like a person, and not for sex. In DAI, it turned out to create a cool character with whom you can just have fun in a friendly way.

He didn't show anything in Act 1 and 2, that's the problem.
That's your interpretation because you can't distinguish his missions from a monogamous relationship.
We don't need to talk about Dorian anymore. We're talking about relationships, not normal friendships.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
He didn't show anything in Act 1 and 2, that's the problem.
That's your interpretation because you can't distinguish his missions from a monogamous relationship.

No, that's not my problem. The problem for those who need to rewrite, 2/3 of the character to fit the meme.
There are most people like me in this topic, if you haven't noticed.

Read this thread again, it was planned and written exactly like that. Cowoline has a good idea, maybe Larian will do something with it, but they won't write him like the other companions.
Us and you, no, not like that!

Last edited by EdaLee; 03/10/23 11:04 AM. Reason: Edit
Originally Posted by Cowoline
I think we are exaggerating how much work it would actually take. An entire rewrite and redefining is entirely unnecessary.

I would love them to give him more content, but that is a seperate issue.

This is what I would do ifI was his writer.

Act 2

(Restructure this sentence between his current bones, so polygamy is discussed in act 2)

Tav: "You didn't mention lovers."
Halsin: "I am 350 years old. Of course there have been lovers. As varied as nature itself, and without limitations. Finding the balance within such relationships can be challenging, and is not for everyone, but I have found that it brings me joy. But I have found with age that I have become more particular about my lovers, and the complexity of emotion when more than two individuals are involved."
Tav: "You don't believe in monogamy?"
Halsin: "It has its place, but it is not for me--" (The rest of that line continues as per usual, but it has been moved from act 3 to act 2).

Act 3:
Love confession:
This conversation starts as per usual.

Halsin: "If we do this ---" (line plays to the end)
Tav options:
(all the current options would apply)

New option: "I remember you saying so. I am willing to respect your nature, and I will not bind you, but I only want you. I hope you can accept that difference too."
Halsin: He smiles a little, though clearly nervous. "I can, but you should know you are all I want. But I exist in fluid relationships, where connections evolve and grow. It changes with seasons, and each spring we decide which plants to regrow and which to change. It would be against my nature to promise you forever, but I am invested in joining our efforts and making the wilds we share grow and thrive. I only ask that we not put limitations on what we are, but allow for it to evolve, without the social constructs that civilization would force upon us."

Tav:
1. Takes his hand in theirs. "Then yes... You can share in my heart."
2. "I am sorry, Halsin. I need something more defined."

Halsin: Normal replies

Drow twins:
The conversation about the Underdark should trigger before they agree to the orgy.

Halsin: "More than interested if you are, but I would like to discuss something with you first. At camp perhaps?"

At camp he tells the story about the drow.

When they approach the drow again, Tav can then once again confirm with Halsin before engaging in it.

There should be focus on after care.

Whether or not to join the drow, you should get this scene later.

Halsin: "Tell me more of your experiences.."

Tav:
1. "My first experience was when..."
2. "I am not ready to talk about it yet. Can we just lay here?"

You see them stargazing from a distance before it fades to black.

Ending:
It plays out as it normally wants, but at the end there is a new option.

Tav: "Our ideals are alike, my love. I want to help the refugees and orphans too. Would you be comfortable with me helping you build this new settlement?"
Halsin: Smiles broadly. "My heart... I should have known. With your support and wisdom, I know we would all benefit from your pressence. Me most of all."

My notes: This way he stays true to his identity, but his preferences are expanding and he is willing to find compromises without compromising himself. By leaving the discussion here, headcannons can fill in the blanks of the rest.

This allows for people to seek more nuanced than now, and would solve a lot of his problems that are romance specific.

Oh, I like it! Such way doesn't force Halsin to become monogamous, but makes him think and accept Tav and their monogamy since they love each other. Great idea! And it has no drastic changes to be made: move some dialogues from Act 3 to Act 2 and add some extra dialogues. Extra scenes may be need some additional resources from devs but I hope they at least read this.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Read this thread again, it was planned and written exactly like that. Cowoline has a good idea, maybe Larian will do something with it, but they won't write him like the other companions.
Us and you, no, not like that!

There were a lot of options in this topic. I've been reading it for a long time. Including the option with monogamous Helsing and I like it much more.
You don't have to answer, I have already understood your position you think only your opinion is correct ok.

We're talking about the author who wrote it, he didn't rewrite it. My opinion, your opinion is more important, no.
Halsin is a minority, Larian knows the majority isn't like that, and yet that's how he was introduced and the videos and comments celebrate it, well, not the end, but otherwise.
The majority doesn't have to like it, Larian already knows that, Halsin is a minority. Larian has non and trans in the game, a minority, gay couples and one just poly, everyone knows what Halsin is and do you really think Larian would change that now.

Cowoline idea is a good compromise

Last edited by EdaLee; 03/10/23 12:03 PM. Reason: Edit
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
yes, and those are all valid points, but there is a very large but: Halsin, unlike any of the other romances, was added by fab request specifically.

He was promoted as fan service specifically.

Larian: "See how awesome we are? We added this companion and romance just to satisfy all of you players who have asked for him for three years!

Disclaimer: we gated him though, so only 1/10 will enjoy his romance."

Had they put this representation in with ANY of the other characters, there would have been complaints, but it would have been different because they weren't added solely on the basis of player feedback.

Imagine if the monk (who was so requested) had been added only as a subclass for the fighter or only as a dual class only, so you could only get three levels in the monk class.

And imagine that Larian promoted it as an entirely new class on level with the others.

Try and imagine the outrage, because that is the fundamental issue with Halsin.

People feel tricked.

There will definitely be outrage if they rewrite it now, I thought you were in favor of a compromise.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Thank you! I am trying to find a compromise and allow for Halsin to be as fluid and wonderful as he truly is. His restrictions doesn't fit his character at all.

veteran
veteran
As one of the people requesting he be added as a companion/romance during EA, it is disappointing to be left out when they added the romance! I hope they add a mono option for his romance!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Oh, I definitely am. There is no way to close Pandora's box. I am just saying that they fucked things up.

They are now given the unenviable task of fix it (if they ever will).

But I do see it is possible to make a compromise. It does mean, however, that as fans of him we are willing to compromise and not set up ultimatums for what we want.

Adding a monogamous option would not piss me off or feel that Polyamory and RA was no longer represented. But realistically, that is not going to happen.

So, like any healthy RA or poly person, I seek a compromise, while validating other people's feelings. smile

He would be like everyone else, that's not how he was introduced.
What kind of signal should it send to the minority? Not Halsin! Another character should just be poly, because we love the great Halsin...

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Wait... since when are people's sexual and romantic orientation what solely defines them?

Is Halsin his sexuality?

Or is he his kindness, warmth, wisdom, consideration, his love of nature, his desire to protect?

Is Gale like everyone else because he is pansexual like the rest of them?

This conversation is taking and uncomfortable turn towards the objectifying meme he has become.

Page 34 of 93 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard