Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 93 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 92 93
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cowoline
Okay, so I am trying to see if we can get some attention brought to this in a more healthy way, but I can't do it without your support <3

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=907260#Post907260

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/16yv2g9/the_halsin_compromise/
For myself what I want is a monogamous option. Not sure if that is a high ask or not. I just send in my suggestions and wait and see!

E
E
I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to have a monogamous option either. I mean, if he's RA, and he has grown more "picky" about his lovers over the years, it wouldn't be that hard to add the idea that he's willing to try being with just Tav for however long it might last. That could fit within the idea of fluidity. They are monogamous for as long as that's what feels right, and when the time comes that this changes, they have a discussion about it, and either accept another party in the relationship or end what they have. I can't really see why the thought of this is so outrageous for the pro-poly crowd here?

For me it's simple.
Halsin basically says he hasn't allowed himself to be with anyone since the shadow curse began, which is what, 100 years?
He also says he's taken many lovers and makes a point of telling Tav how his heart doesn't stirr lightly.

Combined, these things sort of lets you know the guy has been with so many people over the years that it takes someone really special to make him feel something again. He's also been able to reel it in for 100 years, meaning the guy clearly has some control of his sexual drive. So, how can it be such a strange concept that when he finally meets Tav and feels something for the first time in forever, he only wants them? He even says so. "I only want you" and "I can scarcely imagine my life without you". So if Tav would just have the option to say: "I only want you, too. But I'm not asking for forever, just for however long this will last." Or something that lets Halsin know he's not bound to Tav, he's not forced to be something he's not, just stay with them for as long as that's what feels right.

So, what I'm trying to say here, is that I feel like there is a clear path to at least somewhat appease those who want monogamy without taking away who Halsin is and what he wants (because he states what he wants in the game, and that's only Tav, for now). And a monogamous relationship is just that, just the two of them, for now, as long as it feels good and right. "Our hearts will forever roam free, but for now, I only want you, and you only want me. So, let us stay together, just the two of us, and see where it takes us. It might last a day, a year, maybe a 100 more. There will come a time to share our hearts with others, but for now, let me get lost in yours."

If Tav wants poly, then they clearly won't tell Halsin they only want him too, and he'll stay with Tav and whoever Tav's with. Because the thing is, as much as Halsin talks about roaming free and what not, his idea of poly still always includes Tav (while in the game's timeline). He doesn't say he wants to go off with someone else alone. He wants to be with Tav AND someone else at the same time, or have Tav be with someone else on the side. Which means that if Tav doesn't want/do any of this, Halsin is basically already monogamous towards Tav (for now) even if he refuses to admit it. He's almost leaning more into swinger territory than anything.

But yeah, now I'm just rambling again.

Last edited by EMar; 03/10/23 08:31 PM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You're right. This could completely be an option. And J would support it being implemented. I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

I feel like this romance already gave us false hope once.

S
old hand
old hand
S
RA theoretically is fine with descriptive labels, just not prescriptive. However, there are people very into the politics of anarchy who do not think it's compatible with monogamy per se. To them, it's more than a way of perceiving relationships. It's anarchy given form in interpersonal interactions. So, when you say monogamy, they'll hear "forced monogamy, possessed against his will". There's a version of monogamy in RA, but it's untraditional.

Because he's just poly, he was made and imagined that way and he says it clearly, not mono.
The compromise wouldn't be bad, but Larian doesn't have to do anything anymore.
He shouldn't be like the others, Larian could have made him like that, but they wanted to make him a minority who doesn't want to have a connection.
EdaLee is right, his purpose was to represent this minority, Larian was clear from the start, the majority is different.

E
E
Originally Posted by Seho
Because he's just poly, he was made and imagined that way and he says it clearly, not mono.
The compromise wouldn't be bad, but Larian doesn't have to do anything anymore.
He shouldn't be like the others, Larian could have made him like that, but they wanted to make him a minority who doesn't want to have a connection.
EdaLee is right, his purpose was to represent this minority, Larian was clear from the start, the majority is different.

Just a question then: If Halsin (by his own words) say "I only want you" and then Tav says "I only want you". What does that make them?

We don't have to call it "monogamous" if the problem lies in the word. What I'm saying is that two people who only want each other, for the time being, should be able to stay with just each other, for the time being. It's not harder than that.

Last edited by EMar; 03/10/23 08:58 PM.
E
E
All I really need is the option where Tav can actually say "I only want you too."

H: "I only want you, but I won't hoard you to myself."
Tav: "Please do, because I only want you too."
H: "Great, let's go have some fun, then."

Last edited by EMar; 03/10/23 08:57 PM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by EMar
I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to have a monogamous option either. I mean, if he's RA, and he has grown more "picky" about his lovers over the years, it wouldn't be that hard to add the idea that he's willing to try being with just Tav for however long it might last. That could fit within the idea of fluidity. They are monogamous for as long as that's what feels right, and when the time comes that this changes, they have a discussion about it, and either accept another party in the relationship or end what they have. I can't really see why the thought of this is so outrageous for the pro-poly crowd here?

For me it's simple.
Halsin basically says he hasn't allowed himself to be with anyone since the shadow curse began, which is what, 100 years?
He also says he's taken many lovers and makes a point of telling Tav how his heart doesn't stirr lightly.

Combined, these things sort of lets you know the guy has been with so many people over the years that it takes someone really special to make him feel something again. He's also been able to reel it in for 100 years, meaning the guy clearly has some control of his sexual drive. So, how can it be such a strange concept that when he finally meets Tav and feels something for the first time in forever, he only wants them? He even says so. "I only want you" and "I can scarcely imagine my life without you". So if Tav would just have the option to say: "I only want you, too. But I'm not asking for forever, just for however long this will last." Or something that lets Halsin know he's not bound to Tav, he's not forced to be something he's not, just stay with them for as long as that's what feels right.

So, what I'm trying to say here, is that I feel like there is a clear path to at least somewhat appease those who want monogamy without taking away who Halsin is and what he wants (because he states what he wants in the game, and that's only Tav, for now). And a monogamous relationship is just that, just the two of them, for now, as long as it feels good and right. "Our hearts will forever roam free, but for now, I only want you, and you only want me. So, let us stay together, just the two of us, and see where it takes us. It might last a day, a year, maybe a 100 more. There will come a time to share our hearts with others, but for now, let me get lost in yours."

If Tav wants poly, then they clearly won't tell Halsin they only want him too, and he'll stay with Tav and whoever Tav's with. Because the thing is, as much as Halsin talks about roaming free and what not, his idea of poly still always includes Tav (while in the game's timeline). He doesn't say he wants to go off with someone else alone. He wants to be with Tav AND someone else at the same time, or have Tav be with someone else on the side. Which means that if Tav doesn't want/do any of this, Halsin is basically already monogamous towards Tav (for now) even if he refuses to admit it. He's almost leaning more into swinger territory than anything.

I completely agree with everything you said. This is how I was feeling, especially the whole "I only want you and you only want me so let's just see how it is just the two of us and then re visit the conversation when there's someone else who wants a share too in whoever's heart." I feel like this is an appropriate response/discussion to be implemented in the game. I can only hope a change like this or similar can be made but at this point I think it's just a very long waiting game. If they do great, if not, well luckily we all have our headcanons! But I hope the one change they do (if they do) as a priority breadcrumb is just Tav going with Halsin right then and there to rebuild a new grove(?). I also felt Halsin was already monogamous with what he says towards Tav and the swinger vibe came to my mind too.

It's the word and the idea behind it, if it wasn't so important, Larian wouldn't have made it an issue.

The game came out and Halsin was introduced exactly as he is, he won't suddenly become like the others.

If it wasn't such a big deal it would be in the game and Halsin would be like the others, but it's not like that.
Here came a compromise, if anything else comes, perhaps something similar.
But Larian doesn't have to bring anything more, they made a great game and are already working on a new title.

Last edited by Seho; 03/10/23 09:29 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
It would be uncharacteristic for there to not be a definite edition. Halsin is a great contestant for content that could be more fleshed out. Astarion in some aspects, as well. He doesn't have a great ending if you don't ascend him, yet datamining shows there were plans at some point.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I do wonder why someone keeps joining a debate for people requesting more content to just say: "Larian doesn't owe you anything. You can't demand more content."

Was that even on the table? "Larian, we demand you cater to everything at once, this instance or we will mope like three year Olds!"

I don't think anyone here has any illusions that Larian owes us anything.

We do know there will be a definitive edition, however. We do know that they're working on game improvements. We do know there is DLC discussions.

We know that Larian looks at feedback from the community (the even removed a cats hair, which is such a small, stupid and funny thing).

So, we are voicing our feedback to let them know that to most players (as obvious by this thread) Halsin's romance is unsatisfying due to limited options and content. What that content will be, is another matter, but obviously there are issues.

I am not certain, why you hope to being to the debate by repeating "They designed Halsin this way. Larian doesn't have to change anything.".

They designed Halsin as an NPC with a very limited storyline. If they were to act as you suggested Halsin would never have become a companion.

You say that he was always "introduced this way". No, he was introduced as a limited camp follower and not a companion at all. He was designed and introduced as not having a romance at all. That was the way he was introduced. Meaning, until he was redesigned specifically based on player feedback, they made a decision to implement his romance, and then limit him in a way that makes a mockery of healthy polygamy and RA.

Originally Posted by EMar

For me it's simple.

Oh, I like your point! I also completely forgot about him spending a century or so dealing with the curse, having this burden for such a long period. It shows Halsin as a serios, grown up and responsible man.
Yes, before the curse, when he was younger, he had pretty active sexual life (it works ever for us, mere mortals, when we are young and active), but I think when you get older, more experienced and you get some new responsibilities your personal life may become calmer cause you have to think of other more important things, plus views on some life aspects can change as well (not drastically).

Last edited by Noelle666; 04/10/23 06:05 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I see your point, but as one of the rare monogamous RA we are never going to please everyone. Especially the ones who use it in a non-compromising way.

(Just to add some explanation: I am monogamous RA because this is my personal choice, not my partners. My partner is left fully open to the choice between monogamy and poly - that is his choice. My preference is not based on social norms, but because I am a demi-sexual getting a point of sexual attraction is rare. And also because I am very introvert and prefer my alone time, so dealing with more than one relationship at a time is simply too much work for my lazy hide XD. This is something that might change of course, but my INFJ mind is perfectly happy where it is at.)

That he loves us, that he wants to stay with us, but to leave out everything else he says is hypocritical.
He doesn't want any rules, restrictions, or even clothing.
They don't need to ask us what our problem is, they clearly have a problem with the character as Larian made it and implemented it into the game.
They want to take away his minority status and make him like everyone else and come up with a compromise and headcanon that if I had written this character, I would never change him.

Hardly any other companion wants to poly, if they force him to try, because that's exactly what it would be, a compulsion, then please make all companions open to everything, otherwise it would be hypocritical and unfair.
This thread is certainly not the majority and it doesn't matter whether they want it or not. Minorities never have a majority.
Don't always come with Halsin the NPC, before the game, Halsin was shown to the majority of the players in the particular scene, then the game came and it continued in exactly the same way, the majority of the players liked the game and moved on.

Last edited by Seho; 04/10/23 10:24 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You're not really paying attention, are you?

If you want to stay 100% true to this ediration of Halsin (which it seems like) he will never, ever agree for you to leave with him or stay with him. Just in that statement you're contradicting yourself: This Halsin will NEVER be in a relationship with Tav. He NEVER says he loves never. He makes it quite clear that you will never join him, other than to come by an visit and fuck him. (I apologize for the wording).

What you just expressed a desire for, and the character that is in the game (by the poor definition of fluid and "that is how he is"), will never align.

He does not want to stay with Tav, he does not want a relationship, and he never explicitly tells Tav that he loves them. Ever.

These are the very strict terms that you are proposing should remain true.

Originally Posted by Seho
That he loves us, that he wants to stay with us, but to leave out everything else he says is hypocritical.

This right here, is not possible with the restrictions that are there now.

And I am sorry, but you are also being hypocrital in this case, because you ignore all the other things he says. I understand the confusion, because he is written like a mess.

But what you just described that you want with him, is per definition of a strict interpretation of his character not possible.

Last edited by Cowoline; 04/10/23 10:26 AM.
I just listed what was written, the whole thing seems a bit contradictory to me too.
I think Larian doesn't want Tav or any of the other companions to go with Halsin.
Maybe he should stay alone or they still have plans for him.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Wait wait. I remember someone saying that people shouldn't make statements on behalf of what may or may not be the majority. If only I could remember who that was... hmmm....

Seho, we all know your position. We are not going to encourage Larian to give us more content by bickering.

By saying we will compomise and support the option for more divsersity in his relationship with him, we support each other towards a common goal of more content.

Could I please dissaude you from repeating yourself over and over, and try to accept other people's feelings on the matter, and recognize that a compromise would make more fans enjoy his character, which would be a good thing?

Last edited by Cowoline; 04/10/23 10:36 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I really wish this was true. Sadly, I think the case is that he was shoehorned in very rushed (his romance lines were recorded in March), and they just made an utter mess of him in their rush. And with the mention of a DLC after the game takes place is unlikely and that the next game they will be working on is DOS3, I very much doubt he will have any further significance.

You're right, I'd like to see a little more of him too, but without much impact on his cause. Good.

Page 36 of 93 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard