Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 93 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 92 93
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Annahri
I even went back and replayed the entire ending and chose to go with Karlach and Wyll to Avernus. If you do that you don't even get an ending with Halsin at all. Like he never even existed in your life.

Yes, I know what it's like. I had a finale without the last scene with Halsin. And thank God I didn't want to listen to all this hypocritical nonsense performed by him.

Has Larian released data on how many players have been in a romance with Halsin so far? No?
Then please don't just say that. It doesn't matter anyway. As a minority you don't have to please the majority.
Larian knows that.
Still, me and my friends had it as a romance, no one is poly. We can deal with it, that's just how the character is.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Originally Posted by Laras
You must not be following the topic. I wanted to have an affair with Shadowheart for my new male character and do you know what awaits you there? Frustration and polygamy at the end. And of course mostly she leave you alone.

Shadowheart romance was pretty great, for a game romance, but yeah Halsin forcing himself in the relationship, and Shadowheart thirsting for him after her final romance scene in the act 3 really soured the experience (even though in the 2 previous acts she clearly said she doesn't want to share Tav).

I think both Shadowheart and Astarion were retconed to be ok with sharing in act 3 (they were against it in previous 2 acts), because of Halsins inclusion as companion.

Last edited by Illiti; 04/10/23 08:38 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Illiti
You must not be following the topic. I wanted to have an affair with Shadowheart for my new male character and do you know what awaits you there? Frustration and polygamy at the end. And of course mostly she leave you alone.

Shadowheart romance was pretty good, for a game romance, but yeah, agree Halsin forcing himself in the relationship, and Shadowheart thirsting for him in the act 3 really soured the experience (even though in the 2 previous acts she clearly said she doesn't want to share Tav).

I think both Shadowheart and Astarion were retconed to be ok with sharing in act 3 (they were against it in previous 2 acts), because of Halsins inclusion as companion.

Act 3 is just a collection of bad decisions.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I even went back and replayed the entire ending and chose to go with Karlach and Wyll to Avernus. If you do that you don't even get an ending with Halsin at all. Like he never even existed in your life.

Yes, I know what it's like. I had a finale without the last scene with Halsin. And thank God I didn't want to listen to all this hypocritical nonsense performed by him.

This happened to me but I think it's a bug for my situation. But I read somewhere that if you go with Karlach to Avernus (w/Wyll or w/o) it overrides the ending with Halsin. Maybe this is a bug too...? I'm not sure. Or maybe it make sense you wouldn't have spare time to take to Halsin real quick anyway since you yeet to Avernus on the spot.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by catclaw
This happened to me but I think it's a bug for my situation. But I read somewhere that if you go with Karlach to Avernus (w/Wyll or w/o) it overrides the ending with Halsin. Maybe this is a bug too...? I'm not sure. Or maybe it make sense you wouldn't have spare time to take to Halsin real quick anyway since you yeet to Avernus on the spot.

No, I finished the game before the final Karlah was added.
Then the error worked if Karlah became a mind eater.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A

The reason I didn't choose to go with Karlach and Wyll the first time was because of Halsin. I thought the ending would be something like this kind, wise and mature man would support and help you.
After saving the grove, rescuing him from the goblins and lifting the shadow curse (which he was unable to do for 100 years), he basically tells you he'll be there for you no matter what. When you then also romance him you run into two problems:

First, he abandons you as soon as the last fight is over, which seems so out of character for him.

Second, you notice he's not poly, but just slam bam thank you, ma'am. This is not what poly is. People who are poly do value their relationships and don't just run off on you. And this is also very much out of character for him. Have a try and romance him and then pick the choice: "I think out relationship has run it's course." After that pick the choice: "I changed my mind." Halsin will specifically tell you that you shouldn't do things like that so lightly because even his heart can be broken.

So this is all really inconsistent writing that hasn't been thought through.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Seho, would you do the courtesy of actually reading the arguments in depth? And if it's difficult to understand, please ask for clarification.

I am glad you enjoyed it. The problem is still that Halsin is a problematic representation of poly and RA. You are not part of this minority, I am. So please read the comments and try to understand why poly and RA isn't the problem the majority has, but how it is presented.

If you want to defend the minority of poly and RA, that's a good thing, but don't dismiss the legitimate feedback of those in that community.

At this point it seems that you are sticking your neck out for Larian. And Larian is freaking awesome. But they need relevant and nuanced feedback to stay that way, and appreciate getting it.

They will not get nuances and improved games by people not being willing to be critical of legitimate issues.

Last edited by Cowoline; 05/10/23 06:00 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You're right. Because his writing would imply that he is indeed fluid. The issue is that you are then presented with this ultimatum of a choice that is "his way or no way" when it should be a discussed and respectful process.

Halsin says "At least I tried."

No, Halsin, you didn't try. At least not to build long lasting connection and building upon deep rooted feelings. You did try to get laid and failed, though.

Yes, I love Larian, played all of their games, Divine Divinity was the first Larian game I had, I've played through it so many times, I've only played Arcanum more. I have a problem because 2 users want to force him to conform to the majority.
I'm not poly but I'm not straight either, it's more than defending Larian.
I think Larian doesn't want Tav or any of the other origin characters to go with him, for whatever reason.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
They don't want Halsin leaving with Tav because:

In the context of the other romances it doesn't make sense for Tav to be able to leave with both of their LI. It's just what was convinient - end of story.

He was clearly written as a joke for all the people who listed after outrages content (bear sex for example) and with the clear assumption that 99% of the players who romanced him would have a romance already.

Those numbers will also likely be correct, because most find it funny and horny - in a culture where diversity has suddenly been linked with sex more than identity.

In which case, Larian did cater to the majority instead of doing what they claimed to be doing - creating nuanced content for everyone.

But I find it interesting that you the one moment claim that the majority doesn't want him changed and then afterwards claim the minority.

These are just guesses as to what Larian's reasons were. They started with the majority here in the forum.
No character has to adapt to anyone, it's simple.
I have never claimed what the majority wants and it is irrelevant because characters want to represent a minority.
This 10/10 1/10 as if everyone wants Halsin... at least half of the players are male and straight, Halsin is probably not the first choice because the preferences don't match.
I just say, most people liked the game and moved on.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 11:38 AM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Seho
Yes, I I have a problem because 2 users want to force him to conform to the majority.
Ye ...700+ posts were written by 2 users.
People come write their opinions and leave. Many people do not speak English to argue with someone here. On the local dnd and bg3 forums, a lot of people are unhappy, they just don't speak English.
But even among English speakers, many people who are not sitting on this forum are dissatisfied. It's just that this is the type of people who don't complain, they just silently hate this shit.
And I understand them, it's difficult to communicate with people who don't want to listen.

Always these exaggerations, assumptions and claims about people who can't or don't want to complain.
I already know, the minority should adapt to the majority...

Silently hate? I can't read minds nor do I know all the players personally... it doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 12:21 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Seho
Always these exaggerations, assumptions and claims about people who can't or don't want to complain.
I already know, the minority should adapt to the majority...

Lol yes, just an embodied contradiction. Apparently you should decide who is who and who needs to adapt.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Can we stop arguing about this?

Wouldn't it be nice if there were options for people?

So two choices:

1. An option that remains as implemented now

2. An option, where the relationship between Halsin and Tav is a permanent one, where the question of monogamy is left up to interpretation, and we're they agree to continuously work on their relationship and make compromises for each other (this is a good thing).

That gives people more options, especially for their own head cannons.

And stop pushing towards either extreme, please. Halsin is supposed to be fluid, understanding and compromising. And for ease that has been limited.

As for it being speculation: that's how business works and it has been supported by datamined scrapped content. Yes, Halsin has his shitty ending because it was simpler and they were running out of time.

Bickering about more options and how it breaks the character is the equivalent of me bitching about Gale being pan-sexual when he is "obviously" straight.

Or Astarion being pan-sexual when he is "obviously" gaym giving choices in a game is a good thing. Removing choices is shit in an RPG.

(Before you comment, Seho, read the suggestion so you actually know what you're committing on)

Last edited by Cowoline; 05/10/23 12:46 PM.
It would be very nice to have options. Options don't take away the route of romantic relationships with character which already exists. In case if Halsin and, again, remembering ideas of Cowoline, options may just add something more and slightly correct shortcomings.
Please, guys, understand this: when people expressed their desire to see Halsin as companion and LI and when Larian agreed to do so, there was a limited time period to work on him, to expand his personality and create romance. It had impact, both positive (because people got what they wanted) and not so positive (because, again, dev team had much strict time limits and other reasons).
Can some things be fixed? I think it is possible.
Will these fixes ruin character? Not at all.
Will adding options remove what people like/don't want to change in Halsin's story? No. Choose whatever you prefer.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Thank you for your input. I just want to hug you<3

The mono option clearly contradicts Halsin's stance. Larian had enough time to make his position clear.
The compromise, I promise I will read it, but not like a comment, that's why I haven't had time yet.
There can't be any constraints, Cowoline, you know what I mean, it can't be called that, otherwise he'll be like all the other companions.

I prefer Halsin as he is, with his lifestyle. If by options they mean mono, yes, it would be against his story.
He would be a completely different character, just like all the other companions.
Basically, I don't like compromises and that minorities should make them.
Still, the suggestion might not be a bad one.

Page 38 of 93 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard