Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 93 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 92 93
stranger
stranger
You've proven time and time again that you don't understand most of the criticism people have in this thread. I mean no disrespect, but you keep repeating the same statements over and over again without really talking to people here. All you're doing is repeating a few sentences, with no need to compromise or discuss anything - I don't think this is the right thread for you.

Halsin is not real, but the players and by extent, consumers of this game are. They deserve a voice and a way to vent and share ideas and constructive criticism.
It does not matter if Larian changes something about him that changes his lifestyle or opinions because he is not real. They've already done so (by patching out certain statements he made, thus retconning a part of his character or story).
But the players, who feel uncomfortable or confused or hurt, are real. This is a game about elves, orcs and potions, where all characters are mysteriously playersexual- no need for a realism discussion, I think.

I've read on multiple platforms, not just this thread, that people are unhappy with Halsin, period. So I wouldn't consider a 38+ page discussion the small but vocal minority.
It's fine if you don't like compromises, and if you like Halsin as he is now (which you've said multiple, multiple times now) but the others don't. And your, quite frankly, standoffish way of going about this isn't going to change this at all.

As I've said, I also wish for a mono-option and have voiced my opinion on multiple websites now, so all we can do is sit and wait for Larian to see our concerns and opinions.

Last edited by Yatugul; 05/10/23 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Everyone repeats themselves here, that's why the thread got so big. I will always defend it, fictional or not, because Halsin stands for something.
There are examples where developers clearly decided against the majority of players and consolidated their position.
A fictional character is allowed to have a lifestyle, if he needs to change then please all companions! They have to bow to our ideas, the developers and their characters, that's how it is here.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 03:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seho
The mono option clearly contradicts Halsin's stance. Larian had enough time to make his position clear.
The compromise, I promise I will read it, but not like a comment, that's why I haven't had time yet.
There can't be any constraints, Cowoline, you know what I mean, it can't be called that, otherwise he'll be like all the other companions.

I don't know, why I answer, since I don't even like Halsin, but we know him as a character for 3 years now and nothing in his behavior in act 1 screams sex addict or polyarmoury. I think, people who wanted him as a companion - and they are the only reason, he became a companion, wanted the wise druid from act 1 and 2, not the creepy sex maniac from act 3. He isn't even a faithful representation of polyarmoury, he is just a sex offender in the making and that makes zero sense for the character we've met in act 1 and 2. It is a completely different character.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
I can only ask you to read what I have written more carefully, without obscuring half of my post.
Larian has changed aspects of characters and their storylines countless times within this game alone, either for player comfort, or at the explicit behest of players, making your point a bit moot.
This is the only reason Halsin's romance exists.
If Halsin stands for anything, he stands for unwarranted sexual advances and odd comments about sexual assault - at least at the moment.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I have to ask this: What is most important; being respectful to an NPC from a video game or being respectful to real life people?

I think your intentions come from a good place, but you are kind of failing at being respectful to both Halsin's character and the people in this thread with limiting assumptions - which is the exact opposite of what Halsin is supposed to promote.

I can't speak for all players, nobody here can do that.
There are some companions who behave similarly to Halsin. No need to exaggerate, it's not that bad.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 03:19 PM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Holy... I was talking about the people in this chat. And the reason why it goes in circles, Seho, is you.

I also find it troubeling that you find Halsin's ONLY unique contribution to the story, as a companion, and as a character is his botched polyamoury and RA. That would imply a limited emotional attachment to the character - which is fine - but obviously doesn't belong in this chat.

So, everyone:

What extra romance scenes would you like to see? I really want something with Yenna and the pets. That would be adorable! And I also think it could be a bonding moment for Halsin and the character to get closer to one another.

(I also have a questline idea for act 3, if anyone is interested.)

Respect to the writers, developers and minorities, he's just poly. Point. Everything he says about relationships makes it clear he is not an option for anything else. It goes against everything he is, he's not like the other companions and that's fine.
Larian certainly won't completely rewrite a character, so that he becomes a companion like all the others.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Seho
I can't speak for all players, nobody here can do that.
There are some companions who behave similarly to Halsin. No need to exaggerate, it's not that bad.
WHich companion? I haven't experienced anything like Halsins behavior from them. For them, no means no.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
I haven't read your suggestion yet, I don't block everything, but Halsin should stay as he is.
If your proposal retains Halsin's character (by that I mean everything), why not?

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I give up. I have really tried to explain it to you, and to offer help with your language barrier, but unless you're willing to understand what is being said this is pointless.

Yes, you're right. If you only see Halsin like a sextoy, then polyamoury and RA represented in the most toxic way possible is what sets him apart from the others.

I haven't seen anyone requesting a re-write, but more options so we can have the same variety like with do with the other characters in the game (redeemed or dark Astarion for example)
No one here has at any point said they want him to be like the other companions.

But yes, you are completely right. Under the premise that Halsin is a sexmaniac meme boy designed with the pure purpose of being a massive fanservice to kink and beastieality - Yes, writing him to be more nuanced would destroy that.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
What does it matter if they do? You won't read it and then keep complaining about the same things over and over.

I mean the willingness for more and so.
No, yes is not my topic.

stranger
stranger
I would have loved to have seen more party banter and interactions or cutscenes between your companions (not just Halsin, but everyone). Also, I think It was mentioned before, I think some gifts à la Dragon Age would have been a really great choice, at least for the origin characters. Could have been a nice little bonding moment (or a romantic one) with a few lines of unique dialogue, but this is a nitpick.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I think the issue at the heart of talking about rewrites vs artistic integrity (and I say this as someone who always prefers author’s intent) is that the creepy Halsin companion of the game was not the original vision for the character. It was fanservice to horny fan requests.

I don’t know what the solution now is, because writing by committee and “listening to fans” usually backfires (the current state of Halsin is a testament to this) but the problem was created by the fans to begin with…

What’s looking to be the next “Act 3 Halsin” is the amount of people who are convinced that Minthara is actually a good guy and therefore she should be recruitable on a good path, even though if anything she is even more evil than an Absolute follower, lol.

Listen to the fans when it comes to gameplay balance, tech issues, etc–do not let them write the game!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Yes! Like that druid journal you can find when you enter the Shadowlands. I would have loved to give him that... and honey combs.... and a wooden duck. My artisan could carve one!

Depends on what you wrote. It should be without pressure, mono is exactly that, he doesn't want that, if a relationship then without pressure, free.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
(I am sorry for the repeat post, people.)

Seho, read.

This is what I would do if I was his writer.

Act 2

(Restructure this sentence between his current bones, so polygamy is discussed in act 2)

Tav: "You didn't mention lovers."
Halsin: "I am 350 years old. Of course there have been lovers. As varied as nature itself, and without limitations. Finding the balance within such relationships can be challenging, and is not for everyone, but I have found that it brings me joy. But I have found with age that I have become more particular about my lovers, and the complexity of emotion when more than two individuals are involved."
Tav: "You don't believe in monogamy?"
Halsin: "It has its place, but it is not for me--" (The rest of that line continues as per usual, but it has been moved from act 3 to act 2).

Act 3:
Love confession:
This conversation starts as per usual.

Halsin: "If we do this ---" (line plays to the end)
Tav options:
(all the current options would apply)

New option: "I remember you saying so. I am willing to respect your nature, and I will not bind you, but I only want you. I hope you can accept that difference too."
Halsin: He smiles a little, though clearly nervous. "I can, but you should know you are all I want. But I exist in fluid relationships, where connections evolve and grow. It changes with seasons, and each spring we decide which plants to regrow and which to change. It would be against my nature to promise you forever, but I am invested in joining our efforts and making the wilds we share grow and thrive. I only ask that we not put limitations on what we are, but allow for it to evolve, without the social constructs that civilization would force upon us."

Tav:
1. Takes his hand in theirs. "Then yes... You can share in my heart."
2. "I am sorry, Halsin. I need something more defined."

Halsin: Normal replies

Drow twins:
The conversation about the Underdark should trigger before they agree to the orgy.

Halsin: "More than interested if you are, but I would like to discuss something with you first. At camp perhaps?"

At camp he tells the story about the drow.

When they approach the drow again, Tav can then once again confirm with Halsin before engaging in it.

There should be focus on after care.

Whether or not to join the drow, you should get this scene later.

Halsin: "Tell me more of your experiences.."

Tav:
1. "My first experience was when..."
2. "I am not ready to talk about it yet. Can we just lay here?"

You see them stargazing from a distance before it fades to black.

Ending:
It plays out as it normally wants, but at the end there is a new option.

Tav: "Our ideals are alike, my love. I want to help the refugees and orphans too. Would you be comfortable with me helping you build this new settlement?"
Halsin: Smiles broadly. "My heart... I should have known. With your support and wisdom, I know we would all benefit from your presence. Me most of all."

My notes: This way he stays true to his identity, but his preferences are expanding and he is willing to find compromises without compromising himself. By leaving the discussion here, head cannons can fill in the blanks of the rest.

This allows for people to seek more nuanced than now, and would solve a lot of his problems that are romance specific.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by fylimar
WHich companion? I haven't experienced anything like Halsins behavior from them. For them, no means no.
The closest I can think of is when you're still on the romance path with Karlach and fix her up in act 2. You can then tell her you're okay with talking during the night but want to keep your boundaries, and while she accepts that, she will still be very forward during the long rest dialogue (it's the same dialogue as when you tell her you want to spend the night with her).

However, in case of Karlach, she will take no for an answer if you say no then. And in her case, it's actually expected, too. She's given all the hints to that point that she's in serious need of some loving after not having been able to touch anyone for years, so just willingness to talk to her, boundaries or not, is enough for her to give it a try.

I've now taken the time, not bad, really not bad. Mono means making a long-term commitment and at least try to stay faithful, nothing for Halsin, but if they rewrite it and there is no compulsion to do something like that, then it's fine. Your suggestion seems to preserve his personality.

Page 39 of 93 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard