Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 93 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 92 93
The characters are written and in the game that way, then all companions must be created this way, easy right?
Otherwise hypocritical and unfair.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 08:18 PM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
All the other companions are like that.

Are you not aware of how many different versions of for example Shadowheart, Astarion or Lae'zel, with different personalities, behaviour and goals that I can experience by making different choices in the game?

One version of Shadowheart will literally try to murder me, another will become a warm, caring and compassionate lover. That is a widely larger difference in character than differences in approach to relationships.

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 05/10/23 08:21 PM.
No, they're not, everyone has to be poly and mono, they're not.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Wanting Gale or Wyll to be open to poly is another discussion. Anyone can open a thread and suggest that too. This is a thread about Halsin and I don't think most of the people with invested interest here really care whether the other companions are poly or not because they aren't interested in them.

It is simply hypocritical and unfair,
Only when all companions are possible for all options would it not be a Halsin thing, but that won't happen.
Larian wrote and implemented Halsin that way, the inventor and author wanted him that way.
Nobody has to accuse the author or Larian of anything, I read here.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Seho
No, they're not, everyone has to be poly and mono, they're not.
There's more to a person than the amount of people they're willing to sleep with.

Nobody has to be both mono and poly. Halsin doesn't have to be mono and poly. What does need to be the case, is that poly Halsin needs to make sense. Act 1 and act 2 Halsin doesn't give poly vibes. So he'd need to be partially rewritten to imply he is. Which defeats the purpose of having him as a romance companion, because the fans that pushed for it wanted to romance act 1 and act 2 Halsin, not the abomination story they'd turn him into to fit his current poly-only status.

I think people wouldn't like Lae'zel being mono-only either if she sleeps with the entire camp first.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 05/10/23 08:38 PM.
Act 1 and 2 have nothing to do with relationships, Halsin doesn't say anything about it and doesn't show either.
Lae'zel is apparently mono.

He's not an abomination, SH or not, that's not fair.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 08:49 PM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
What is unfair is an entirely subjective opinion which can be discussed endlessly without ever moving the discussion or opinions in any direction.

There is a wish or desire for more character options regarding this specific character laid out. It has nothing to do with other characters because it would not change any of them in any way, so we can just disregard them all.

You don't like that request, because you are happy with the character as it is. But if that request does not change anything about your game and story, where you can still make the same choices and end up with that exact story that you like, then it ultimately has no effect on you. This is being interpreted as that you are only arguing against it to deny other people something they want even though it has no impact on your experience. This may be a misinterpretation, but then clear up that misunderstanding. If it ruined your experience, so that the story you like is no longer available or changed, then by all means your strong resistance is fully warranted.

Larian has of course full freedom to write what they want. They own the code. This is a feedback with suggestions to them.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Mizukun
Originally Posted by Cowoline
So, everyone:

What extra romance scenes would you like to see? I really want something with Yenna and the pets. That would be adorable! And I also think it could be a bonding moment for Halsin and the character to get closer to one another.

(I also have a questline idea for act 3, if anyone is interested.)

A scene where Tav meets Halsin in the area outside of Last Light Inn where you rescue Thaniel (the portal defense area), the two talk for a bit about everything that's happened so far and then Halsin just staring at them, realizing that this is when he fell in love with them.

Sorry I'm bringing this when it was way back, but I barely caught up now so I'm back peddling to this real quick.

I thought this kind of happens already? I could be wrong. But I remember after talking to Halsin after the Thaniel situation he says something like "Words can't be expressed how much I'm grateful" or something like that. And if the player (at least what I went with) says the dialogue option "No words need. I understand." Halsin then says, "Yes...I think you do." And there's a lil pause of him staring at you and he continues, "...Forgive me. Sometimes I forget myself, gazing on the beauty of nature's creations." And maybe I was grinning like an idiot taking it as the character/Tav in that situation right then and there as the "nature's creation". Maybe I took it the wrong way and this wasn't a flirty line to Tav like hey I see you kind of thing, but your idea just made me think of this scene that I came across. Now I'm thinking that could've been the moment he realized he fell in love (not sure if I'm really confident saying love considering he never says that cry) with Tav.

I've written enough. He's so in the game, I have no problem with him and yes it would be unfair to change him so drastically, his attitude to life is different, he doesn't have to become like the others, and bow to constraints and the majority etc.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Seho
Act 1 and 2 have nothing to do with relationships, Halsin doesn't say anything about it and doesn't show either.
Lae'zel is apparently mono.

He's not an abomination, SH or not, that's not fair.
If you talk to people, you pick up cues from them. They act a certain way. It foreshadows future actions and thus sets expectations. An example would be Shadowheart and the Nightsong. She keeps doubting herself and Shar because of you, foreshadowing that she will spare the Nightsong if you let her make the decision.

In the case of Halsin, it's very clear that people expected him to be a mono romance companion, based on his mannerisms in act 1 and act 2. That's how he portrays himself. Nothing changes in act 3, because he barely has content in act 3. All he does in act 3 is say he wants you, says he's poly, and complains about the city.

I did not call him an abomination now, even if he is in act 3. I meant that if they did rewrite him to fit a poly story, THEN he would become an abomination, at least in the eyes of those that wanted him as a romance companion in the first place. Because they like the way he is written now. Not the way he would be changed.

As for Lae'zel, my point was that if she acts like she is poly (for example, casually sleeps with everyone), then the expectation is set that she is poly. If she then turns into mono-only with no character defining moments to change her, that would make it inconsistent with the way she is portrayed.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 05/10/23 09:04 PM.
No, it just shows how focused he is on the mission.
His preferences, his lifestyle, nothing is shown.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Of course he is so in the game, you are stating the obvious.

But I can make drastic changes to the identity of for example Lae'zel or Shadowheart through choices in the game. I am literally deciding their faith, this is not some minor part of who they are, this is their core identity. If such a drastic change to their identity can be accommodated to be up to the player, why not for Halsin?

No one is asking that he is to become a housewife that fully commits to some rigid form of monogamy. Erasing poly and openness to other lifestyles is not the agenda here, calm your fears a bit.

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 05/10/23 09:16 PM.
I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Don't feed the troll, you can see by his/her/whatever replies, 15 words or less, and the same nonsense argument ("he is written that way"), while a lot of posters has gone in detail about writing inconsistencies, but "he's written that way" so everything is peachy.

Last edited by Illiti; 05/10/23 09:32 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Illiti
Don't feed the troll, you can see by his/her/whatever replies, 15 words or less, and the same nonsense argument, it is trolling.
Yes, this is a very funny troll. But it helps to keep the topic at the top of the list. It deserves some food.

That's exactly what it would be and that's exactly what is desired here.

To Halsin,
That's how it's in the game, that's how it was written before.
Some people may not like it, but that's how it is and I would also want all companions to be open to everything, but they aren't and I'm not the only one.
I accept it and wait for more Larian games.

Last edited by Seho; 05/10/23 09:29 PM.
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Halsin should just be dropped as a companion tbh. Ctrl alt delete more like it.
If you want poly, Karlach is you're woman. kek
Some of you may like him, I don't so the alternative would be best imo.
As for Seho, a troll, ignore him or whatever, brings nothing to the table.

If it starts again, if you don't take part you're a troll, of course...

Nothing happens with insinuations. Troll or not, there shouldn't be any insults.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
If you're just fine with everything the way it is then why are you in this feedback/bug forum? You obviously don't have any feedback or bug to report to Larian so...?

Page 43 of 93 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard