Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bethra
Originally Posted by Veranis
It cuts to your character's sad face
as you stupidly watch him run away and the narrator says: "Astarion's days in the sun are behind him. The best you can hope is that he finds darkness, and the comfort it once gave him" Then your character smiles and the narrator continues: "Knowing him, he probably will. Comfort was always one of his specialities. Especially when it was his own." Like what? That was so random. I can't even recall a single moment in all three Acts where that was a thing more than a jokey remark from him?
That has to be the most tone deaf thing said about anyone in the entire game. Someone at Larian clearly doesn't like Astarion.

Someone really wants us to Ascend him.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I just finished my first playthrough, with unascended Astarion, and I have to agree with what everyone in this thread has been saying. I feel like his romance arc peaked at the graveyard scene, and everything after that was either nonexistent (to be fair all romances are like that though) or just so watered down in comparison. Why don't we have one last sweet scene once it's time to go and fight the final battle? All we get is "this could be our last kiss" and then it's the most chaste kiss I've ever seen in my life. Then there's the awful scene at the docks which may have been fitting for a playthrough of someone who ignored Astarion the entire game, but not for someone who took the time to get to know him and complete his personal quest...and definitely not for someone who romanced him.

But honestly my biggest gripe is with the final scene you get with him just before the credits.

Aside from how weirdly abrupt it starts (we just saw him run away in terror from the sun and now we're...where, exactly?), it just feels so loveless! Where's the emotion? Why can't we hug him or kiss him? Why is Tav standing 5 feet away from him with their arms crossed? If you changed only one or two lines in the entire conversation, you wouldn't even know that this was a romance scene, it could have been a scene between two platonic friends. I'm sorry, but Larian...what were you thinking? This the very last time we're ever going to see this character that we've grown so attached to over the past 80+ hours! It shouldn't feel so empty and lifeless. I don't care that there's no sex. I don't even mind the fact that there's no magical last-minute asspull cure for him, because you do get the option to bring up finding one and I'm content to let my imagination do the rest. But I really wish it didn't leave me with the feeling of "That's it?"

I hope that they can improve the endings to some extent, either in future patches or even a definitive edition of some kind. It's an amazing game and an amazing romance otherwise.

Also maybe it's just me, but I reeeally wish we had more opportunities to tell him he can feed on us again if he wants to. I didn't give him the option to do it a second time because he and Tav are still basically strangers at that point in the game, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to bring it up again later after romancing him. Ain't no way I'm going to let him survive off of rats for the rest of his life.

Last edited by EldritchBlast; 03/10/23 08:56 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I so very agree with this!

A
A
And while we're at it - what's up with the last "kiss" before the grand finale? "This may be the last time for a kiss" "Then let's make it count" *quick peck* Can we get some passion over here? We could die horribly any second. laugh[/spoiler]

The so called "last kiss" had me choking from laughter. It is so ridiculously pathetic, my kids give a more "meaningful kiss" to their Nana than Astarion to his lover before the FINAL battle where both if them could potentially perish.

Can we, please, have something similar to Aylin/Isobel kiss with our love interest?

addict
addict
Forget the kiss, first of all let me go after him when he runs from the sun. Romanced or not, there should be an option if we must have that kind of ending scene.

Game makes me run to Karlach, but won't even offer me an option to run after Astarion.

V
V
Originally Posted by EldritchBlast
But honestly my biggest gripe is with the final scene you get with him just before the credits.

Aside from how weirdly abrupt it starts (we just saw him run away in terror from the sun and now we're...where, exactly?), it just feels so loveless! Where's the emotion? Why can't we hug him or kiss him? Why is Tav standing 5 feet away from him with their arms crossed? If you changed only one or two lines in the entire conversation, you wouldn't even know that this was a romance scene, it could have been a scene between two platonic friends. I'm sorry, but Larian...what were you thinking? This the very last time we're ever going to see this character that we've grown so attached to over the past 80+ hours! It shouldn't feel so empty and lifeless. I don't care that there's no sex. I don't even mind the fact that there's no magical last-minute asspull cure for him, because you do get the option to bring up finding one and I'm content to let my imagination do the rest. But I really wish it didn't leave me with the feeling of "That's it?"

I hope that they can improve the endings to some extent, either in future patches or even a definitive edition of some kind. It's an amazing game and an amazing romance otherwise.

Yes, agree. As I wrote earlier, this scene needs more physical intimacy (not sex, but something akin to the hug in Act 2.) I think it's okay that
it's a bit distanced in the beginning because it is totally in character for Astarion to be a bit cautious now that everything has changed. You are finally free of the tadpole and he is back to being limited by his vampiric curse which means you would have to adapt to a life mostly in darkness for his sake. No matter how often you have said you want him for his own sake it makes sense for him to still be afraid that it is not so. That's why it is so important that there needs to be a lot more intimacy in the answer you give him to his question if this is what you want. Like it is now it kinda fizzles out. Instead of "we will have a lot of fun together" I'd prefer something along the line of "Whatever challenges we'll face, we'll face them together". The focus on having fun together is perfect for ascended Astarion, but not spawn Astarion IMO.

Originally Posted by andromeda087
Can we, please, have something similar to Aylin/Isobel kiss with our love interest?

Yes, please! But minus the spinning around. Because I would cringe into oblivion. laugh

A
A
Originally Posted by EldritchBlast
[quote=andromeda087]

Yes, please! But minus the spinning around. Because I would cringe into oblivion. laugh

Haha, I agree on NO spinning. What I'd like to see is a passion similar to their kiss and not a "dry smooch" on the lips. And for pity's sake make it last longer then a millisecond...

I'm currently doing a Durge evil playthrough with Ascended Astarion as my romance and...it's crazy how much more romantic interaction there is.

I mean, it's dysfunctional and manipulative and clearly not the "good" romance he or your Tav deserves but there was a lot more effort put into the interactions you have with Ascended Astarion than spawn Astarion which...makes no sense.

I still don't know what the ending is like; I'm bracing myself for it to fall flat like the other ending. But Astarion is already talking about our future and plans for us and when he was "good" spawn Astarion, I got literally no interaction or discussion about that at all.

Getting more and more annoyed that I'm enjoying douche-bag Astarion more....

#JusticeForAstarion
V
V
Originally Posted by vx_phoenix_vx
I'm currently doing a Durge evil playthrough with Ascended Astarion as my romance and...it's crazy how much more romantic interaction there is.

I mean, it's dysfunctional and manipulative and clearly not the "good" romance he or your Tav deserves but there was a lot more effort put into the interactions you have with Ascended Astarion than spawn Astarion which...makes no sense.

I still don't know what the ending is like; I'm bracing myself for it to fall flat like the other ending. But Astarion is already talking about our future and plans for us and when he was "good" spawn Astarion, I got literally no interaction or discussion about that at all.

There is quite a lot of romantic interaction for a "good" DUrge, too, though. It has even one of the sweetest and most tear jerking interactions with him -
after you defeated Cazador you can try to break up with him, saying that you are afraid you might kill him one day. And his reaction is spot on. One of his VAs best performances IMO.
Spawn Astarion needs some work, but I'd never choose Ascendant over him again.

But you don't have to be nervous. Ascendant ending does not fall flat like the spawn one does.

S
stranger
stranger
S
We need an Astarion fix like they did for Karlach. Astarion was one of my main followers. To have him just up and run off while I stood there and did nothing was just gross. Not to mention, you go through the entire story trying to make him less of a power-hungry asshole (if you're good) and you succeed, only to just lol at him in the end. Whoever thought that was a good/fair ending for the character should be put in that caget they kept Orpheus in.

A
A
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
Originally Posted by Bethra
It cuts to your character's sad face
as you stupidly watch him run away and the narrator says: "Astarion's days in the sun are behind him. The best you can hope is that he finds darkness, and the comfort it once gave him" Then your character smiles and the narrator continues: "Knowing him, he probably will. Comfort was always one of his specialities. Especially when it was his own." Like what? That was so random. I can't even recall a single moment in all three Acts where that was a thing more than a jokey remark from him?
That has to be the most tone deaf thing said about anyone in the entire game. Someone at Larian clearly doesn't like Astarion.

Someone really wants us to Ascend him.

That's just it. It really seems that way, you get a much more rewarding and complete ending with him ascended than with him as a spawn. After cemetery scene (which I absolutely adore) you barely get anything from him. Few lines of nonsensical conversation. He cannot even define who we're to him, no clear plans for future, everything is very uncertain for him/them as a couple. Really, he is like a scared puppy looking up to you. Sweet, but kind of pitiful...

It looks like they spend all the time and resources for his "bad" ending and just slapped together his "good" ending in the last minute. I certainly hope that they will give us a satisfying ending for a spawn Astarion.

addict
addict
Eh it's not that bad, it's normal that he's still unsure of things so soon after Cazador.

But it's very obvious that ascended Astarion has more things to say overall. He also gets gameplay benefits and an ending that doesn't turn him into a joke.

Brucil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Eh it's not that bad, it's normal that he's still unsure of things so soon after Cazador.

But it's very obvious that ascended Astarion has more things to say overall. He also gets gameplay benefits and an ending that doesn't turn him into a joke.

It's not really that he's unsure of things post Cazador if you go down the spawn route that's the issue, the issue is the lack of ability to properly affirm his choices and discuss his future.

Last edited by Brucil; 05/10/23 08:30 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Brucil

It's not really that he's unsure of things post Cazador if you go down the spawn route that's the issue, the issue is the lack of ability to properly affirm his choices and discuss his future.

Definitely agree with that yeah. Unfortunately that's how the entirety of Act 3 is.

There is quite a lot of romantic interaction for a "good" DUrge, too, though. It has even one of the sweetest and most tear jerking interactions with him -
after you defeated Cazador you can try to break up with him, saying that you are afraid you might kill him one day. And his reaction is spot on. One of his VAs best performances IMO.

FYI, based off what you said, I went all the way back just to get this. Had to redo the fight.

Holy crap. Worth it. That was the sweetest damn moment ever. Probably my favorite save maybe the graveyard scene. Like...

It's got the bad ending taste out of my mouth.

The "Oh shit. What...what did I do wrong?" Agh! For a second I was like "Veranis, I better not regret this or I'm blaming you!!"

#JusticeForAstarion
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Probably just repeating what was already said, but unascended Astarion got done reeaaal dirty. Sunburn and running off, that's it. Really wanna see more of all the characters in general for what they're up to next. You can always get an idea if you romance someone, but it feels so sour to end on a moment of them in extreme pain and running away.

Last edited by rdslatez; 06/10/23 02:40 AM.
V
V
FYI, based off what you said, I went all the way back just to get this. Had to redo the fight.

Holy crap. Worth it. That was the sweetest damn moment ever. Probably my favorite save maybe the graveyard scene. Like...

It's got the bad ending taste out of my mouth.

The "Oh shit. What...what did I do wrong?" Agh! For a second I was like "Veranis, I better not regret this or I'm blaming you!!"

It's great, isn't it? laugh I'm glad you liked it, too. I was feeling so bad reading that you did not have a good time with the DUrge ending. This scene is one of the reasons why redeemed DUrge and spawn Astarion are my preferred combo. It shows how commited to each other both of them have become. They redeem each other.

I just wish this kind of writing would have poured over to the ending. As it is now it feels like the relationship is back to square one (maybe two), all that development is wiped away.

Last edited by Veranis; 06/10/23 06:22 AM.
A
A
Durge is the BEST character to romance Astarion, in my opinion. I'm assuming that they have these little interactions because they share the same writer (Stephen Rooney). It is wonderfully written.

But you're right spawn/DU relationship is so sweet. It seems that Astarion found someone who is even more broken than himself. Someone who [I quote] "gives him something to care for". It is nice to see that soft and caring side of Astarion under all that luster of his pretend persona.

After doing DUrge and romancing Astarion, I see no point in playing plain Tav. You get so much more depth in his romance with DU. I wish I didn't waste all that time on 3 playthrough playing Tav...

If they would just fix the ending now, that will be great. But I think the ending is bad in general.

journeyman
journeyman
Durge is the BEST character to romance Astarion, in my opinion. I'm assuming that they have these little interactions because they share the same writer (Stephen Rooney). It is wonderfully written.

But you're right spawn/DU relationship is so sweet. It seems that Astarion found someone who is even more broken than himself. Someone who [I quote] "gives him something to care for". It is nice to see that soft and caring side of Astarion under all that luster of his pretend persona.

After doing DUrge and romancing Astarion, I see no point in playing plain Tav. You get so much more depth in his romance with DU. I wish I didn't waste all that time on 3 playthrough playing Tav...

If they would just fix the ending now, that will be great. But I think the ending is bad in general.

This post gives me hope. I keep seeing how awful the Astarion romance endings are and it makes me not want to finish the game, just reroll a new character. Honestly, this makes me want to reroll as DU now though.

Also, regarding them giving us a new ending for Astarion like they did for Karlach, how much fuss would we have to kick up to get it to happen? Online petitions? Spamming social media? Bogging down the forums with posts and requests about it? I say we start a movement!

A
A
Originally Posted by SheWildWolf

Also, regarding them giving us a new ending for Astarion like they did for Karlach, how much fuss would we have to kick up to get it to happen? Online petitions? Spamming social media? Bogging down the forums with posts and requests about it? I say we start a movement!

I'm assuming that's what we need to do then smile

Well, the ending stinks, there is no sugarcoating this. I think the ascended Astarion has a much better epilogue than the spawn. He is his own man, powerfull with no fear of anything. With spawn Tav/DU by his side. He has clear plans for two of them or you can influence him what you want to do. In general he has a lot more to say than spawn Astarion.

It is my personal opinion that the ONLY good ending for a spawn Astarion is to find a cure for vampirism. Otherwise after Tav dies he is left alone in the shadows with a sanguine hunger.

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard