Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
veteran
veteran
So let's all follow my advice and carry on this discussion without Blackheifer. Its tempting to keep telling him he's wrong, but he won't listen or consider any arguments you present, clearly.

With regard to this topic, I think that Sarevok more than Viconia is an illuminating example. At least with Viconia you could say that she's a worshipper of Shar, it's not crazy she would be broken down and end up at this point eventually. But Sarevok? I know far less about him and his story beyond that he's the bad guy of the first game, but people have made good arguments that him being loyal to Bhaal is not at all a logical direction for him to have gone, since hating Bhaal seemed to have been a major character trait of his. Does he canonically always come back to life or does he only come back if you do certain things?

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
She is written to appeal to certain immature fantasies

This is sadly a common theme in BG3 and thus probably intended. So unless there is a big shakeup at Larian for whoever writes the story its unlikely to change.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by SerTomato
First let me say I still adore BG3, as a crpg fan I’m really, really glad to see a studio is still making crpg with 3A standards in 2023. I think BG3’s art style, soundtrack, voice acting, cutscenes, and gameplay are all phenomenal, it’s absolutely my GOTY before Act III.

However, Viconia and Sarevok’s parts (and some other parts in Act III) totally killed my desire to keep playing and do another playthrough, because I no longer want to treat this world and the characters in it seriously. I also lost the ability to empathize with Shadowheart, for I think her story is totally impossible from the very start. Every time I heard her talking about the “Mother Superior” I felt like there was a huge fly in my mouth, and judging by the players’ feedback, I’m not the only one.

Comparing BG3’s Viconia and Sarevok to their old selves in BG1&2, is like comparing Jaime Lannister in GOT season 8 to him in season 3—from a complex character who’s willing to sacrifice his honor to save all the people in King’s Landing, an oathbreaker full of conflict and tragedy in season 3, to a clown, who would say “I never cared much for them innocent or otherwise”, then was killed meaninglessly by rocks in season 8. It’s not only a huge writing downgrade, it’s character assassination, the characters are completely opposite from their former selves. (If you ever played Divinity Original Sin 2, it’s like you meet Sebille in DOS3, except now she’s a slave master who loves to control others’ minds, and you’re going to kill her with a Walmart discount version of new Sebille.)

For those who haven't played BG1&2, please, let me provide some context. (Spoilers alert)

Let’s talk about Viccy first. Who is Viconia DeVir? She’s a recruitable Drow and a Shar cleric in BG1&2. Her story, especially her romance, is one of the best-written stories in all crpgs, and is still loved and discussed by many till today.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Viconia DeVir, art by Ted Arfken

Though, players probably wouldn’t have a good first impression of Viconia. When you first met her, she was chased by a Flaming Fist, who accused her of committing murder. Despite being an exile from the Underdark, Viconia still had some worst qualities of Lolth Drow. She was Neutral Evil, and could be mean, arrogant, and full of superiority. Viconia liked to judge everyone by Drow standards, and would argue with other companions often.

(Sounds familiar? Yes, Lae’zel. She, Minthara, even Shadowheart and Astarion, all have some qualities of old Viconia in my eyes.)

“Men better than you have walked across lava to kiss a dog who's licked my hand” —BG2 Viconia

“I have been thinking, a little. I have been thinking of the time I have spent with rivvil...the humans...and I have found nothing redeeming or worthwhile in them.”
“Hmph. We are meant to find this a revelation, coming from you? It might surprise you to find that most would consider you without redeeming qualities either, drow.”
“If I required commentary from you, mongrel, I would tug on your collar or blow a dog whistle to gain your attention. My words were for and alone.” —BG2 Viconia and Jaheira

However, during your adventure with Viconia, you could slowly understand why she choose to be cold and hostile, keeping herself away from everyone. Besides the fact Lolth Drow were born jerks, the world in BG1&2 had treated Viconia very harshly. A Drow outside the Underdark would not only be discriminated against, but be treated as an animal that could be hunted and killed. It’s very normal for humans to loose dogs and arrows when they see a Drow, other Elves would even execute one on sight without questioning. (Recruiting Viconia reduced the party's reputation by 2, some npcs you met would confront you because of Viconia’s identity.) When Viconia left the Underdark, she had to sell her body to a human merchant, for protection and the opportunity to learn common language.

(BG3 has softened the tone a lot in this aspect, most npcs are welcoming and forgiving. It’s now uncommon to see racists and exclusionists, which is good and all, but it’s kinda strange considering the dnd background. I was surprised to know choosing Drow as player’s race would bring the player almost no debuff.)

“The land was strange, and each day I huddled under the terrible open sky, sure that I would be pulled into the vastness of it if I but closed my eyes for an instant......I was sure I would perish, never to see the Underdark again.” —BG2 Viconia

Viconia had lived a very long, very awful homeless life, every time she had the opportunity to settle down, she would be harassed and chased again. After BG1, she purchased a small land on the outskirts, finally enjoyed some normal days, and became a friend with a neighbor farmer.

“......we formed an awkward friendship. He did not ask why I wore my hood, and I slowly began to trust him. He wondered, though...that was obvious. The time to reveal myself as Drow came one late afternoon. A warm day; the sun was dappling along the south quarter of his farmland, and I pulled down my hood. Then he smiled a warm inviting smile.” —BG2 Viconia

The result was predictable. The farmer pretended to invite Viconia into his house, only to knock her out from her back. He then tortured and abused Viconia like an animal with two sons of his, put her into a coffin and buried her alive after they finished. But what they didn’t think of was, Viconia was a Lolth Drow.

“......I could see nothing except for the lid of a coffin. They had buried me alive... a mistake not to kill me outright. The fools knew the name 'Drow', but were ignorant of my true spirit.” —BG2 Viconia

In madness and hatred, Viconia clawed through the coffin and dirt (Astarion: wow), then had her revenge, but was wanted again afterward. This incident also caused her PTSD over trusting others, and she retracted herself back into the thick shell she built.

“I am drow. And I let myself be lulled, foolishly. The vengeance was bitter, because my own stupidity had made it necessary.” ——BG2 Viconina

But if the player dug hard enough, you could open Viconia’s shell a bit, and see the conscience and soft part inside. Slowly, Viconia would change herself because of you, she would soften her attitude towards the surface world and people in it, little by little, and start to care for other companions, although it’s by a Drow’s standard.

“I have acted...poorly towards you. I...I wish to apologize. Make fun if you wish, but you...did not deserve my insults. You are the only surfacer who has treated me fairly, and not demanded something in return. You...you are not too bad to travel with. For a lowly male, that is.” ——BG2 Viconia

“I have not been on the surface for all that long. Sometimes I forget that things here are different from the world I once knew. I have toyed with your feelings unfairly, placing you down with the other males I have known...and you have not been like them. It was...wrong of me.” ——BG2 Viconia

Over time, Viconia became open to you and shared the story behind her exile from the Underdark. Her family served Lolth, but during a sacrifice, Viconia refused to kill a child, which angered Lolth and sparked a war between House DeVir and other small families. Viconia’s mother attempted to sacrifice her daughter to win back Lolth’s favor, it was Viconia’s brother who saved her, he killed their mother and released Viconia.

“......I was overwhelmed, dragged to the temple, and splayed across the altar in preparation for the priestesses to take my life. I was frightened...terrified, in fact. I would have died, in fact, were it not for...if it were not for my brother. My poor, foolish brother. Valas...” —BG2 Viconia

Lolth Drow lived in a total matriarchal society, males had no other use beyond being slaves, breeding tools, and oblations. And killing a female master was the ultimate act of rebellion for a male Drow. For that, Lolth turned Valas into a “Drider”, a half-spider half-Drow creature (remember the spider bro with lamp in Act II? Yeah just like that, except Larian made him too handsome), with no mind nor memory left, only pure malice and base instinct. Viconia always had guilt for her brother because of this, plus deep fear for Lolth.

“......I have seen her power, what she does to those who fall from grace......She will...will leave me to think I am safe or free and then she will come for me. I...I dream of Valas, sometimes, and I try to speak to him in my dreams. But he is only a monster, now, and I scream when his horrid spider legs caress me... I think...what can Lolth do to me if she has done this to Valas? What worse torments await me when she finally decides to come?” —BG2 Viconia

“If you would...if you would please sit with me for a moment, I would be thankful. I find myself uncharacteristically overcome with anxiety and I am not...eager...to be alone for the evening.” —BG2 Viconia

Viconia was the most difficult one to romance in BG1&2, her romance was long and detailed, but had very little room for mistakes. After a certain scene, she would start to throw temper tantrums and find all the excuses she could to break up with you. This is due to her clumsy avoidant personality, trust and intimate relationship were all foreign concepts to her, in Viconia’s mind, they were associated with danger, betrayal, and death. She also feared that the violence over Drow in the surface world and Lolth’s punishment would eventually impact you as well. After the player’s party encountered Lolth’s gated assassin, Viconia would even lie to you, reducing herself to the lowest Drow in your heart, to push you away from her, from danger.

“You wish to know of me? You wish to learn what I am like? I shall tell you the truth of it, then. I have lied to you, lies upon lies. My tale of the farmer in Beregost? A lie. I laid with him many times, seducing him to get the things I needed. It was his wife and townsfolk that drove me out. Like a succubus I have whored my way to Amn, taking what favors I could gather through sweat and passion. I earned passage with tongue and moans, with more males than you can count. And you are nothing compared to them. Any of them. So, then. What do you think of that, ? What do you think of me now?” —BG2 Viconia

“I am telling you that I have had rivvil by the dozens, that I allowed their saliva to cover me, allowed them to use me for their pleasures! And I enjoyed it!! I am a creature of dark lusts, you fool! Why are you not disgusted by this?! Turn away from me, spit on me and curse my name, I command you!!” —BG2 Viconia

If you choose to believe her lies, or couldn’t stand her unreasonable behaviors, she would end the relationship with you, in tears but in relief. The player needed to use many tricks, such as pretending to be angry and acting ignorant, to persuade her to stay by your side. In the end, Viconia would drop her facade and embrace her true feelings, then accompany you to the Throne of Bhaal.

“(sigh) I...I cast my white flag before you. I can struggle no more. You have...you have defeated me.....I do not know what it is about you, but I opened up to you...I let you inside with honesty and candor. I am not used to such. Trust is death. I have been betrayed again and again, and yet I began to trust in you. I...I could not allow it to happen. I was confused, I tried to drive you away. But you saw through my deception...I owe you...so much. You are safe harbor in a storm of terrifying power. I begin to feel that I need you...and this enthralls me and enrages me all at once... If you will have me, I shall not push you away again.” —BG2 Viconia

What are the cornerstones of Viconia? I can illuminate three: the longing and guilt for her brother, the compassion for outcasts/hatred for oppressors, and the tough spirit that keeps her defying her god even when she’s in fear. Her story was a story of escaping from persecution and fate, she was defined by her rebellious action against her born identity and the lifetime suffering it brought her. Viconia served Shar as the Dark Lady offered shelter for outcasts like her who were abandoned by the world, but she’s the Shadowheart who saves her parents in the end without hesitation, willing to bear the pain for the rest of her life.

Viconia had two endings in the original games. In the default ending, she would find a small Shar cult in Waterdeep, only to wipe all members out when they schemed to betray and kill her, shrugging off the chastisement of her goddess. Viconia then began her own adventures, she once assisted Drizzt in saving the elven city of Suldanessalar from a Zhentarim plot, for which she received the highest honor of the Seldarine from Queen Ellesime. She took her leave after that and was lost to history. Her romance ending has more tragedy in it, in which she had a family and a son with the player after they decided to settle down, she also became True Neutral. However fate caught up to her, Viconia was killed by Lolth’s assassin one day, but in her final years, she finally lived the life she always wanted, peaceful and without fear.

“Tell me...has there ever been anyone special to you? Never a special one who awaited her hero's return? The idea has value. I myself hope to retire to a home that doesn't change by the day.” —BG2 Viconia

Now, let’s take a look at BG3’s Viconia.

“You became my mission. To take a child of Selune's, and turn her over to Lady Shar. To show all light fades, and darkness will prevail in the end.” —BG3 Viconia

Turns out Viconia was the sole reason for Shadowheart’s broken family and decades of suffering. Such wow. Remember how she refused to sacrifice a child to Lolth, bearing the exile and the pain her action caused? Forget it, now she’s a professional child kidnapper, she abducted many children, abused and brainwashed them, she even had a 24/7 torture room, full of bones, blood, and gore. Remember how she resented Lolth for what she did to her brother, how she couldn’t help but missed and felt guilty for him? Great, now she also imprisoned children’s parents and relatives, tortured them, made them suffer the eternal torment her brother suffered, she would even let kids do her job sometimes. Why did she do all these, you ask? Remember even when she was dragged to the sacrifice altar, in fear and about to be killed, she still chose to defy and curse Lolth’s name?

“Lady Shar commanded me. And I obeyed. I do not question - I merely act as she wills me to.” —BG3 Viconia

The writer even had the audacity to retcon one of Viconia’s endings, saying how she wiped out the Shar cult was not a rebellious act, but a super smart big brain move to prove she’s the bestest cruelest Shar cultist of all time. I can’t even describe the disgusted feeling after I completed Shadowheart’s storyline. This “Viconia” shares no common point with any version of true Viconia, I even suspected she was one of Orin’s changelings when I met her. A once complex character, who was flawed but had many heroine’s, even motherly qualities, now was reduced to an almost laughable villain of the week, with a vile mustache and no depth.

The writer who wrote this part, were you on drugs? Were you fucking high? I was even impressed because even if you threw your ink bottle on your drafts, the character won’t be this completely 180.

Someone may say, oh but she was indeed Evil, so it’s natural for her to take this path, right? Stop, just stop. Not all evil characters are the same character, and not all evil characters are fanatic villains of the week. Except for those who have real brain damage, every evil character still has their inner logic, their malice needs a direction, and the direction is decided by their motives and life stories. Even an evil version of Viconia would never be a brainless fanatic who abused children, her experiences decide her malice will always be towards gods/oppressors. An evil version of her could be a woman who’s drawn to blood and vengeance, who’s eager to slaughter all the abusers, not to join the oppressors, become a braindead tool of them, and make more outcasts. (And I don’t understand, why the writer had to make her evil?)

Some others may say, oh maybe she’s brainwashed too, you see, her memory was in Mirror of Loss. Stop again. That explanation is not nearly enough. Imagine all your past adventures and memories were thrown into the garbage can by one line. No, we need a longer, more detailed, and more believable explanation. If it was Viconia who chose to look into Mirror of Loss, why? If she was forced to, by whom? Most importantly, players need a way to change her back. Using Mirror of Loss as an excuse is like saying Karlach becomes a demon boss in BG4, who slaughters and tortures people for fun, and the reason is simply her head was hit by a wagon after BG3.

And no, old characters’ words—Jaheira will talk about Viconia is not as bad as she appears (Minsc’s comments on her though, is just like how the writer wrote her in BG3, full of unreasonable spite, make no sense)—can’t save the narrative, either. Actually, they make things worse, because they imply that players’ past adventures and memories with Viconia do exist, but none of them count now, and Viconia was murdered by players’ own hands. And you’re telling me, Jaheira and Minsc, these two who have accompanied Viconia to the Throne of Bhaal, experienced countless things with her, good or bad, have that little to say when they met?

There’s a rumor that it was WotC’s decision to write the characters this way, despite I didn’t find any evidence (all writers of BG3 on imdb are not from WotC), I think it’s possible. WotC has the copyrights, after all, and they’re well-known clowns (their official Baldur’s Gate novels were so bad that they were mocked by everyone for years). But what I don’t understand is, as far as I know, Jaheira and Minsc in BG3 all differ significantly from themselves in WotC canon (Minsc even poked fun at his hair in WotC canon in his dialogue), so why do Viconia and Sarevok have to be this out of character? Maybe the writer thought letting them be evil could make players from old games easier to kill them, no, this is pure delusion, what becomes easier to kill is the desire to continue playing the game.

So, how to improve Viconia in BG3? Here are some suggestions from an amateur: Delete Shadowheart’s parents, replace them with Viconia. I think Shadowheart’s parents are currently in an awkward position, they don’t have good character arcs or interesting characteristics, and don’t even provide new information or context. Players don’t know them, and to be honest, Shadowheart doesn’t know them either, not really. They’re just tools the writer uses to give players an illusion of weight. I found it difficult to care for two strangers that suddenly appeared in front of me. I could only try to comprehend the writer’s intentions rationally, but couldn’t really empathize with Shadowheart. Why not use Viconia then?

Hear this: Shadowheart and her parents were still former Selune followers, except Shadowheart was a real orphan this time, who was adopted by Viconia after her parents’ passing. Viconia saw her past self in Shadowheart, she raised her with strict but loving guidance, teaching her everything she knew. Slowly, a bond was formed between them. Shar was pleased as well, she saw huge potential in this Selune’s child and wanted to make her a Dark Justiciar. However Viconia, because of her own experiences and bias, disagreed, she didn’t want Shadowheart to lose herself and all the memories, only to become a tool of goddess.

Wouldn’t this be more intriguing? Now there are two conflicts the writer can explore, one is the dynamic between Shadowheart and Viconia, how would Shadowheart see her dear mother, when she believed in the goddess that killed her parents? The second is the growing tension between Viconia and Shar.

One day, Shar decided to skip Viconia and “adjust” Shadowheart by herself, which of course, was defied by Viccy. The beauty of this is she now became just like Valas, her brother, who defended his family from another goddess. And just like her brother, Viconia was captured and tortured by Shar, and Shadowheart was forced to look into Mirror of Loss, then was given the mission to find the artefact. When the player meets her, she only has faith in Shar, besides some vague memories for Mother Superior, which sometimes leaves her sad and confused during the adventure.

At the end, the choice Shadowheart needs to make is:
1. Defy Shar, endure the pain for the rest of her life, but save her mother.
2. Embrace darkness, kill her mother, become a true Dark Justiciar and the new Mother Superior.
3. Allow the hate and anger—that her parents were killed by Shar followers—to consume her. Defy Shar and also kill her mother, cut ties with darkness and “return to the light”, but become a worse person. (This moment should not happen in Act II, in front of Nightsong, an npc she knew nothing about, it’s too soon and lacks weight.)

Okay, enough fanfiction. But isn’t this better than what we got? By doing this, the writer pays respect to the old character, in the meantime they make players from old games care about Shadowheart more. It’s the daughter of Viconia for god sake, who could leave her in the camp?

I also want to talk a bit about Shadowheart. Her quest is called “Daughter of Darkness”, but she is not dark, not at all, I think “Daughter of Darkness except the writer kinda forgot about the Dark part” suits her better. The writer took almost every opportunity to move Shadowheart away from dark, even in Act I, there were too many hints that she was misled, brainwashed, deceived...she was the victim who always wanted light. Which is related to how gods are portrayed in BG3. I think BG3’s gods, or in fact, goddesses, are all poorly written. For example, Selune and Shar, Shar is the big baddie, she cursed people and lands, her followers are all lunatics who like murder, torture, and brainwashing, she’s also very petty, oh boy you better hope you never meet her; Selune is the big goodie, she protects people and has a gentle heart, her followers are all cool, pretty and handsome, she is the walking epitome of blessing.

This oversimplified black-and-white writing in my opinion is not only boring, but also hurts the narrative. It makes Shadowheart’s choice about whether to turn to darkness actually become no choice at all, she has no reason to, and the player can’t find any believable motives for her either. The choice becomes nothing more than an option only for players’ curiosity: oh I want to see what an evil Shadowheart looks like.

But Shar and Selune are two sides of the same coin. Yes, Shar is indeed the goddess of darkness and loss, but darkness has a gentle side as well. For the outcasts who are abandoned by the world, darkness is the only place that allows them to stay (this is the reason why Viconia served Shar in the first place). Why not make Shar a stubborn but honest goddess, who truly believes that darkness and loss are blessings she could give to humans, instead of the petty cartoon villain we got. And Selune has a ruthless, unforgiving side (like how Aylin beat the old man into a pulp) . Won’t this be more interesting? Do you know for how many people in dnd background, the ability to forget is a real blessing? Put some important npcs like that in the game, show us how they’re truly helped by Shar, won’t that make Shadowheart’s choice at the end have more weight? Don’t just place some hollows in front of the house and call it a day, where am I, Northern Undead Asylum?

What I want to see at the end of Shadowheart's storyline is a conversation about faith between her and Viconia, two real "Daughters of Darkness," with the player or even with Shar. Viconia can tell Shadowheart the disagreements between her and Shar, what kind of a jerk Shar is, but she did accept her when no one else would, saved her and brought her peace in the past. Shar can explain to Shadowheart what love and acceptance mean in her eyes. Not the “light is good, dark is bad, I spit on your face, goodbye” we got right now. The philosophical discussions about Dark and Light Shadowheart could offer would also be very interesting because of her identity. But we got none of those in the game. So many missed opportunities, even Divinity Original Sin 2 did a much better job in this aspect.

(Although to be honest, this is not all Larian’s fault. At this point, badly written evil gods is already a kind of tradition of dnd.)

Last but no least, make Viconia recruitable. Please, many players have waited for this for 20 years.

Okay, enough Viccy. Let’s talk about good old Sarevok. Same as Viconia, BG3’s Sarevok is nothing like his old self.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Sarevok Anchev, art by CG-Zander

Sarevok Anchev, the main antagonist of BG1 and the player's brother, was a Bhaalspawn. He was ruthless, once orchestrated a war that could kill thousands, but make no mistake, he was the most unlikely candidate of a Bhaal follower. What he wanted was to replace Bhaal and become the new Lord of Murder, like Bhaal once did. Actually he didn’t give a shit about Bhaal, Bhaal was just the stepping stone for him to achieve his ambitions, one could even say Sarevok was hostile towards Bhaal.

“I orchestrated a war to slaughter thousands. I have felt the cold embrace of death. I have witnessed the horrors of the Abyss.” —BG2 Sarevok

“When Bhaal held sway over my soul, I reveled in the bloody carnage I wrought. But my will was not my own......I will not surrender my being to the whims of another again...be they god or other.” —BG2 Sarevok

The player could resurrect Sarevok in BG2. As your brother and reverse side, Sarevok offered many memorable dialogues about morality, fate, and death. The quality of his story made him one of the most popular companions in BG2, despite his rather brief appearance.

Now, what did this experienced conspirator, who came back from death do in BG3? He became a puppy dog, sorry, “judge” for Bhaal, repeating “All I did was for Bhaal”. Not only that, he taught his daughter, and the daughter of his daughter, to also worship Bhaal. (I don’t understand, since when Bhaal became this top-grade god that everyone wants a piece of him?) The ultimate judgment Sarevok—the man who once waged war—gave the player is to let you kill a flying elephant. You got me there writer, I chuckled, this is one of the best jokes in 2023. Sometimes I wonder if the writer has a kink, a fetish for fanatics who have brain damage, that they had to write characters like these to get high.

So, how to improve Sarevok? I think it’s rather simple: Make him a powerful secret boss, but also recruitable. Bring him to see Orin. Let him use his own experience to scold his granddaughter that Bhaal is actually a clown god, and she’ll become a bigger clown if she gives all herself to him. And that’s one interesting conflict, how Orin would react to this grandfather that she admired deeply? I think Sarevok might be even a bit proud if Orin has the ambition to replace Bhaal, like he once did. But “all I did was for Bhaal”? What a disappointing GenZ child.

Last, if it’s really WotC’s idea to write these two characters this way and Larian has no other choice (I highly doubt that though), I have one more cheap idea: make these two characters fake ones. Viconia is actually a changeling, who once heard about real Viconia’s story and wanted to use her name to control a Shar cult, you know, like the Redcap in Underdark? And the “Sarevok” was put together by Bhaal cultists using some cheap soul pieces and weird rituals, but since they’re not very smart nor did they meet the real Sarevok, they could only make this clown, this pretender, who would only repeat “All hail Bhaal”. You can call him “the shadow of Sarevok” or something like that.

You know what’s better? Delete these two characters if you’re not going to rewrite them. Trust me Larian, the absence of old popular characters causes far less damage than ruining them. Not to mention even if these two characters are not called “Viconia” and “Sarevok”, as Act III villains they’re still very lackluster. I can understand you want to connect new characters with old ones, but this is not passing the torch, this is torching the past.

Rant over. I don’t know how many people are going to read this article, so this is more like self-therapy. I want to love Baldur’s Gate 3 more, I really do, even at its current state, that whole Act III feels like another Early Access, I still think it’s worthwhile to do multiple playthroughs. Sadly Larian didn’t give me the chance, but I hope they do in the future. And to those who have read this far, sincerely, thank you.

Personally, I have preferred not to think about this because it makes me angry. It seems to me that what they have done with Sarevok and Viconia in this game has been an insult, and a show of total contempt for the BG1 and BG2 players who follow the stories of both characters.
but for me it was almost insulting the characters they added to the Enhanced edition and the interactions with the original characters in both games.
It's sad but I wasn't surprised by what they did with Viconia and Sarevok.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SerTomato
[size:14pt]First let me say I still adore BG3, as a crpg fan I’m really, really glad to see a studio is still making crpg with 3A standards in 2023. I think BG3’s art style, soundtrack, voice acting, cutscenes, and gameplay are all phenomenal, it’s absolutely my GOTY before Act III.

“You became my mission. To take a child of Selune's, and turn her over to Lady Shar. To show all light fades, and darkness will prevail in the end.” —BG3 Viconia[/font]

Turns out Viconia was the sole reason for Shadowheart’s broken family and decades of suffering. Such wow. Remember how she refused to sacrifice a child to Lolth, bearing the exile and the pain her action caused? Forget it, now she’s a professional child kidnapper, she abducted many children, abused and brainwashed them, she even had a 24/7 torture room, full of bones, blood, and gore. Remember how she resented Lolth for what she did to her brother, how she couldn’t help but missed and felt guilty for him? Great, now she also imprisoned children’s parents and relatives, tortured them, made them suffer the eternal torment her brother suffered, she would even let kids do her job sometimes. Why did she do all these, you ask? Remember even when she was dragged to the sacrifice altar, in fear and about to be killed, she still chose to defy and curse Lolth’s name?

“Lady Shar commanded me. And I obeyed. I do not question - I merely act as she wills me to.” —BG3 Viconia

The writer even had the audacity to retcon one of Viconia’s endings, saying how she wiped out the Shar cult was not a rebellious act, but a super smart big brain move to prove she’s the bestest cruelest Shar cultist of all time. I can’t even describe the disgusted feeling after I completed Shadowheart’s storyline. This “Viconia” shares no common point with any version of true Viconia, I even suspected she was one of Orin’s changelings when I met her. A once complex character, who was flawed but had many heroine’s, even motherly qualities, now was reduced to an almost laughable villain of the week, with a vile mustache and no depth.

The writer who wrote this part, were you on drugs? Were you fucking high? I was even impressed because even if you threw your ink bottle on your drafts, the character won’t be this completely 180.

I mean, it's almost like Shar is the kind of Goddess that manipulates and isolates her followers until she is all they have and then takes perverse delight in getting them to compromise whatever values they might have still had.

Also Viconia would never assess her targets, then lie to manipulate them, right?

Tywin Lannister's most insightful line about Cersei Lannister is this "She makes honest feelings do dishonest work"

Viconia is a liar, don't believe anything she says. She sees you as lesser and has no compunction about lying to you. She gets you to compromise your values over and over again just to "be with her" - starting with the murder of a Flaming Fist officer.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
I think by this point it is apparent that each of us has different ideas of what Viconia should or shouldn't be, which in turn means, there is no single solutions for all the problems that has been written here.

Larian made one solution: Viconia is evil, BG2 development seems like never happened (OP confirmed that including the development in previous game to this game would be good but it wasn't their point, yet seems to be troubled when the development isn't fitting to what "Viconia" means to them).

I think the problem is that Viconia is not treated like Minsc and Jaheira. And I think WOTC has something to do with it considered they are the one who enforced the "canon" version of the story of which Viconia never romanced (so she likely never become a TN character) thus making her "character development" (the character development, most of the players like, I assume) never happened.

If it up to me I will not remove Viconia, instead she should be able to join our camp or better yet, our party, in similar fashion of that Minsc and Jaheira. Only then the complain would be clear that it wasn't actually that Viconia is "badly written", it's "not written as I would like it".

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
I think by this point it is apparent that each of us has different ideas of what Viconia should or shouldn't be, which in turn means, there is no single solutions for all the problems that has been written here.

Larian made one solution: Viconia is evil, BG2 development seems like never happened (OP confirmed that including the development in previous game to this game would be good but it wasn't their point, yet seems to be troubled when the development isn't fitting to what "Viconia" means to them).

I think the problem is that Viconia is not treated like Minsc and Jaheira. And I think WOTC has something to do with it considered they are the one who enforced the "canon" version of the story of which Viconia never romanced (so she likely never become a TN character) thus making her "character development" (the character development, most of the players like, I assume) never happened.

If it up to me I will not remove Viconia, instead she should be able to join our camp or better yet, our party, in similar fashion of that Minsc and Jaheira. Only then the complain would be clear that it wasn't actually that Viconia is "badly written", it's "not written as I would like it".

This is probably correct. IF WOTC had an idea or notes on who Viconia was canonically then Larian was probably obliged to follow that contractually.

Although I don't think Viconia would work as a companion in an evil playthrough given that you already have a Dark Juicy cleric of Shar, AND a Drow Vengeance Paladin, it would be another Halsin situation - where he is just tacked on fan service with no real role to play in Act 3.

Viconia is and always was a side character - despite people attributing additional weight to her role. She just wasn't as important as Minsc or Jaheira. Although obviously if you play an evil path in Bg1 and 2 she is really one of the strongest companions to have, otherwise most people would have chosen Branwen.

And of course you can romance her, if you like that sort of thing. Keep in mind you can also romance Aerie, Jaheira, Dorn, Anomen, Hexxat, Rasaad and Neera - depending on gender. So technically Viconia is as important as Neera...who is noticeably absent from Bg3.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Does he canonically always come back to life or does he only come back if you do certain things?

Always, first 10minutes into Throne of Bhaal he is brought back and you can only do one thing: bring him back via sacrificing a miniscule part of your Bhaalspawn essence to do that, or have Imoen do it (she volunteers too). He is brought back as a some sort ghostly being (which is why his portrait in game has shining eyes and a glow around his whole person). Thing is, you canonically have no choice but to bring him back cause he holds vital information to you and he is basically sort of blackmailing you: "bring me back and I will tell you what you need to know, but if you refuse, I go na na na". Then the next choice is: do you keep him around (as a companion) or tell him to fuck off, so he literally just disappears from the game entirely.

And I think Larian went the 'fuck off' route with him. Abdel Adrian(the 'canon' Gorion's Ward from the books) had him stick around for a bit.

veteran
veteran
That Flaming Fist dude was going to die and get stripped of his half-plate regardless! hehe

Nobody had to be manipulated on that score. We'd have done it anyway for our own reasons. Didn't need Shar to back our play on that, though if that's what Viconia wants to think, sure.

Recruitment into the fold is the solution for Viconia, so we can get some hot takes and some call backs, and then ignore whatever isn't working for us in the setup by just taking over the reigns there. Her rework in BG2 with the knock-off portrait and the romance there is perhaps muddying the waters, but BG1 Viconia was still a fav. She could have just as easily been 'random female drow in Peldvale' whose name nobody remembers, but instead she becomes the most iconic Drow of the Forgotten Realms in cRPG. Literally knocking off Drizzt for the top spot lol. Of course his Mithril is going to Shar-Teel for the backstabber boost, since Viconia is already comfy in her Angkeg plate. Faldorn and Imoen can argue over who gets which Scimitar, doubtless, but there's no denying who stole his laurel for top Drow after that. BG2 Viconia was also great though! She was along for the ride in both games, from the Bandit Camp to the Throne, so if she's coming back for round 3, then lets see her back for real. In this case "for real" means in the party.

Also, I don't think we should speak of the characters from the Enhanced Editions or bring them into it. Those EEs are pretty much the BG equivalent of SW Special Editions, running roughshod over people's happy memories. Just that exact sort of thing, but carried over into a BG context, and probably what BG3 should be trying to avoid with their callbacks. There's nothing conspicuous about Neera's absence from BG3 lol. That character didn't even exist until 2012! She has nothing to do with any of my memories of these games. Not to grumble about Beamdog's efforts overmuch, but if that's the rationale for anything happening here, no thanks hehe. Just like the SW gold laser disc ports that you can't even buy for 200 bucks on ebay anymore, now I'm stuck with these EEs. Trading the OGs for the reduxes? Of course I bought those reboots too, like everybody, and they're fine for what they are, except that now on Steam I have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to Un-Enhance, and get back to my 4K-98 vibe on that hehe. Massive digression, lets definitely not ramble on about Star Wars, or I'll never get to bed. I'll admit to caring somewhat less about Sarevok, cause he was not in the Party until ToB, but that said he sort of made that Expansion and was one of the main draws there.

ps. just to be clear, and not to ruffle any extra feathers, I actually enjoyed the EE characters. Neera and Dorn, or Hexxat in the BG2 EE, they're fun and they fill a niche. They also sorta ruin the pacing of the originals if you engage with them as presented, at the points when they come into the story. So this isn't a situation where I disliked the characters, cause I liked em as a form of bonus feature, or an excuse to replay the same game again for the 500th time lol. It really only becomes problematic over time, when the directors' editions replace the blockbuster that everyone fell in love with in the first place. The first time around. Just like Star Wars the Motion picture. In both cases, they could have easily avoided bitter feelings by simply ensuring that the original was preserved and still accessible in a modern format. BG3 is not going to have this problem, because it's not a redux. Even for as reboot-y as it is in some respects, it's its own thing with it's own moment in time. Part of the disconnect between EA and Full Release or patch to rehash from update to update once it's out there in the world, may be coming into BG3 as well now though, even just with reference to only itself and not the prior games. Here's another pithy Nietzsche quote - one that wasn't re-used in BG3, but which is always apt... hehe

"Some people throw a bit of their personality after their bad arguments, as if that might straighten their paths and turn them into right and good arguments-just as a man in a bowling alley, after he has let go of the ball, still tries to direct it with gestures."

He always has great insight on things like regret! I'm sure I do the same all the time hehe. Of course that's the version of that quote which lives on the internet now, in English translation. Maybe it sounds cooler in the German dub? lol It's probably from human all too human, or maybe a Kaufmann rip from the notebooks? I can't even remember anymore, cause that's sorta what happens. You go for the ready version, whatever's still in print. But it's one thing when the bad argument is "Lets remake it, Again!" and another once it's already remade and lives out here in the world. Trying to go back for the do-over is kinda ill advised sometimes, but they already went there. We already have Viconia and Sarevok. Like they're already in the game right.

So now it's more about how can they do the course correct and gesticulate in the right ways to avoid the gutter and knock down a couple more pins if they can, while also not removing what's available in the current. I think they can add, but it has to branch off what already exists in game, and preserve that probably along one of the default paths.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/10/23 10:44 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Does he canonically always come back to life or does he only come back if you do certain things?

Always, first 10minutes into Throne of Bhaal he is brought back and you can only do one thing: bring him back via sacrificing a miniscule part of your Bhaalspawn essence to do that, or have Imoen do it (she volunteers too). He is brought back as a some sort ghostly being (which is why his portrait in game has shining eyes and a glow around his whole person). Thing is, you canonically have no choice but to bring him back cause he holds vital information to you and he is basically sort of blackmailing you: "bring me back and I will tell you what you need to know, but if you refuse, I go na na na". Then the next choice is: do you keep him around (as a companion) or tell him to fuck off, so he literally just disappears from the game entirely.

And I think Larian went the 'fuck off' route with him. Abdel Adrian(the 'canon' Gorion's Ward from the books) had him stick around for a bit.

There are still some inconsistencies even if Sarevok doesn't join Charname or change alignment. In ToB he desperately wants to be resurrected ("You do not fear death? You should. I know what it is like. I had to scratch, claw, and plead my way back into the land of the living."), while in BG3 his diary says something along the lines of "I was cruelly resurrected against my will" (can't find the exact text right now but it's in the Temple of Bhaal).

When talking to Viconia in ToB he says "When Bhaal held sway over my soul, I reveled in the bloody carnage I wrought. But my will was not my own. As captivating as your dominance might be, Viconia, I will not surrender my being to the whims of another again... be they god or drow" and calls Bhaal a fool. Hardly a zealous follower.

There are explanations for how he would end up like that in BG3, I guess, but it's quite anticlimatic regardless of his potential alignment change. But then again I'm only taking BG1/BG2 into consideration, I'm trying to ignore whatever WotD canonized later.
Like others already said it would have been easier if he was called "Echo of Sarevok" like the others, a ghost of only the parts of him that Bhaal knew and had control over.

veteran
veteran
Yeah Sarevok in ToB has almost all the clutch lines, and regardless of party comp coming out of SoA it made sense to free him, because he was a vehicle for the story delivery at that point. But importantly, it wasn't like he just had another Death scene for that, like the Kurgan part 2 and a half: the Quickening lol, he actually came along for the ride.

It's the main thing I think. Once the character is along for the ride all the other things come back into play. The bark quality, the banter, the sick burns - all that stuff. Even down to the mechanical stuff like like party comp/rep/itemization.

I'm of several minds for how they could do it with Viconia. I can see at least 3 paths on that just going off first branch prompts. Different options if Jaheira and MInsc are in the party to push a couple directions based on our inputs in convo. Maybe 1 sequence is the default current, another has us trading Shadowheart for Viconia in which case she becomes a foil and screws us over for that in the end, a third where we have both Shadowheart and Viconia and face Lolth where Viconia goes down swinging but on our team instead of against us. Something like that, just get her in there with like 3 or maybe 4 angles on the Why of it all.

Bringing that other franchise into it, I think we can make allowances for Cersei fans too right? hehe. I mean say what we will about the third book or the fourth book's POV, but Lena Headey still kinda inhabited the role and elevated it I think in the VA mocap version. Also, cause of course I was also a little disappointed that she didn't get to keep fighting terminators for endless seasons hehe. But like didn't Martin screenwrite for Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton too way back when? So it kinda all makes sense in a weird way! lol

One can only imagine if he was just like the actual screenwriter for the screenplays, though I guess I can understand why he wouldn't really be all about that at that point. Still funny to think about. If the comparison with Viconia holds, probably would be like how much one enjoyed watching that sept get blow'd up in live action before it sorta goes off the rails. That montage was clutch though, and she carried it well. Games are curious cause even though they're not cinema, they are becoming ever more reliant on the cinemascope for story delivery. In that respect I think the analogy may still be fruitful. Usually the creator director is going to be way more irreverent than the fans. Like they'll do things that are probably funny in-house or which make sense to them, but then the fandoms have different feelings on whatever is near and dear. It's a hard thread to needle I'm sure lol. Still they pulled it off rather well with Jaheira, so I would like very much to see the same with Viconia.

Also, as an aside, I think it was a bit of a miss that Minsc recruitment would be tied only to Jaheira, when a Viconia option might also have been possible for that. Her angle would of course be more self serving, but it would get you another path towards party recruitment, which again, I think is the single most important thing.

Sarevok would also be fun, since by the time you meet him, along a certain path, there's a real good chance you might be down a couple companions.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/10/23 11:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
I think bringing Viconia or Sarevok into the party in any respect would be the worst thing Larian xould do. Its already clear thag Larian included them in this game without any real point to their inclusion. Unlike Jaheira and to a lesser extent Minsc, they have no point in the story, not one that is worthy of their status and past in the series. We've already seen with Halsin what happens when they try and force in characters for fan demand. The best thing to do would be to remove them outright. Forcing characters who don't ha a purpose in a story to occupy even more space within that story is a recipe for disappointment.

Also I don't for a moment think wotc had anything to do with this. Clearly Larian was not meaningfully beholden to anything.

veteran
veteran
I'd have to concede, that though this is the story section, my primary reason for wanting to see the character recruited into the party has more to do with the gameplay of the game, than the story of the game, if that makes sense.

I think I will likely be disappointed, perhaps ultimately needing mods to give me what I wanted from this game in that particular, but still I can imagine many ways where I would just completely let it slide, because I think the game needs more companions. Since these characters are already here, and already part of the story, whether pointed or not. It just seems like the sort of thing that could be done better when Charname/Tav/Durge is at the helm on this score and where they get a proper send off. In the same way the other two characters got a nice treatment. Or the doppelganger thing I suppose, but then we'd get no extra companion that way, which I think would be a miss. Too few companions I think also plays into this wish.

ps. Just her whole outro story for her in BG2, that one had some after-the-fact bowling in it too hehe. She's been changed a slight bit time and again, but then she was also kinda the same tune, with the bark still on it. That was consistent at least. I think it all works, if they'd just branch it enough and keep the focus on that sort of stuff, which lends itself to the gameplay stuff. The story I can suss out for myself while playing. One of the cool promises, never quite delivered on in BG1, was that somehow all those choices would feed on into the next one. BG3 has the same challenges as BG2 did relative to BG1, but anyway, I still like the BG1 model for some of this stuff. Get em into the fold and let the player weigh in on it all heheh.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/10/23 12:30 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I'd have to concede, that though this is the story section, my primary reason for wanting to see the character recruited into the party has more to do with the gameplay of the game, than the story of the game, if that makes sense.

I think I will likely be disappointed, perhaps ultimately needing mods to give me what I wanted from this game in that particular, but still I can imagine many ways where I would just completely let it slide, because I think the game needs more companions. Since these characters are already here, and already part of the story, whether pointed or not. It just seems like the sort of thing that could be done better when Charname/Tav/Durge is at the helm on this score and where they get a proper send off. In the same way the other two characters got a nice treatment. Or the doppelganger thing I suppose, but then we'd get no extra companion that way, which I think would be a miss. Too few companions I think also plays into this wish.

ps. Just her whole outro story for her in BG2, that one had some after-the-fact bowling in it too hehe. She's been changed a slight bit time and again, but then she was also kinda the same tune, with the bark still on it. That was consistent at least. I think it all works, if they'd just branch it enough and keep the focus on that sort of stuff, which lends itself to the gameplay stuff. The story I can suss out for myself while playing. One of the cool promises, never quite delivered on in BG1, was that somehow all those choices would feed on into the next one. BG3 has the same challenges as BG2 did relative to BG1, but anyway, I still like the BG1 model for some of this stuff. Get em into the fold and let the player weigh in on it all heheh.

My feeling in the matter is simply that there's no way Larian could do a good job including them into this game because they clearly aren't interested in doing so. As soon as the obviously planned content with Halsin was done in act 2, he turned into a terrible shambles of a character by act 3. I don't think you'd be at all happy with the writing for these two if they were made companions, since no matter how you get to weigh in, Larian still dictates what directions they can go, and what input could you have in half an act anyway? I understand wanting more companions, but people need to stop asking for current characters to be made companions because clearly Larian is only going to fail at the task.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Annoyed Player
As for Viconia wanting to die... did you even get a single dialogue with her? She rejected Loth, clawed her way out of the coffin and suddenly wants to die because she was turned into a carricature of her own? Just... no. Simply horrible, garbage interpretation of characters to excuse Larian's Terrible writing of these characters.

Don't assume you understand anything about me. Stop projecting your nonsense onto me.

Viconia doesn't "suddenly" want to die. We are talking about a 100 year span of time here. In that time she just completely isolated herself, she LITERALLY has no one and a head full of garbage memories and no love except what she and Shar have.

She doesn't just want to die, she is too bitter and angry for that - she wants to be defeated.

You're literally writing fanfic. Also, this is the last time I'll ever reply to you or read any of your posts because you obviously just like hearing yourself rant and insult people.

Last edited by celestielf; 10/10/23 04:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
I've actually been considering writing some fan fic to explain how Viconia became Shadowheart's matron mother.

Like the OP I enjoyed Viconia's redemption story. One of the reasons I prefer the first draft of Shadowheart's character to the much more cuddly final version is that it reproduced what I liked about the Viconia romance - SH's words are at odds with her reactions. (*) Viconia was prickly and she often insulted the other party members. While she occasionally encouraged charname to embrace the Bhaal taint that encouragement was at odds with her reactions at key points in the story.

She didn't try to persuade us to side with Bodhi, unlike Korgan she didn't disagree when we refused rewards, she saved the beggar from the city watch and she was the only evil companion to remain once the party hit high reputation (in pre EE editons), she helped up destroy the drow city and, once you became her confidant, she told stories about her feelings of compassion for her brother and the for a baby.

It was a prickly pear romance - needles on the outside, sweet on the inside. The supportive charname saw the goodness behind the tough facade . . .

BUT Viconia had multiple endings and Larian had to choose one. And remember that Viconia remained a Shar worshiper even after her redemption. (Gaider wanted to make her a Elistraee worshiper but ran out of time)

If Charname refuses to become a god and Viconia is alive Lolth kills her. If she is redeemed she still answers to Shar.

Here begins the outline of my fanfic:

I would have liked to have found Viconia's diary where she reveals that the Shadowheart mission and Vicky's reduction in power was Shar's punishment for falling to corrupt Gorion's ward. After Charname's ascension Viconia is a difficult spot, if V abandons Shar, Lolth will kill her. If she becomes the high priest of Charname then Charname will have to protect her from both Shar and Lolth while protecting himself from Cyric; a battle that Charname is certain to lose (**) A fact that Viconia realizes even if Charname doesn't. So accepting Shar's rebuke and submitting to her divine will was Viconia's final act of love for Charname - she sacrificed herself so Charname could live.

Which is consistent with the story we have thus far: if you ask BG3 Viconia if she is acting on Shar's orders she evades the question; Shar is not happy with Viconia wants SH to replace her.

(*) btw Larian in the circus game I think "kindness to animals" should have been the better answer than "discretion" for white-haired Shadowheart. SH has rejected Shar and is discovering her true nature and should now value compassion above discretion.

(**) 'He' because V is cishet

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Sorry guys for the upcoming long and maybe unrelated post, but I just find Blackheifer's posts utterly amusing, they brought me smile and I can't help myself. I think they could be used as examples for "how not to argue" and might give us some insights.

(Apologize to the moderators first, if you find this post inappropriate, you can remove it or suggest me to remove it, but please don't lock this thread for I want others to have a peaceful place to discuss.)

Let's start from their first post, shall we?

If you talk to Minsc he tells you that Viconia left the camp after she was caught trying to steal and dissect Boo. At least, that was his interpretation of what she was doing. This more or less fits with dialogue from Bg1/2 and Viconia's established personality traits. She is cruel. She is a loner. She is alone.

After this was when she likely founded the temple in Waterdeep, and yet she didn't form any strong bonds with any of her fellow Shar worshippers, or at least not enough to disobey Shar when she was asked to kill them. So she further isolated herself and then was given new orders. Again, she is alone.

And she has been that way for the last 100 years. She only has Shar. Whatever she might have been/or grown to become ended when her path diverged from the original Bhaalspawn. Shar likely orchestrated this - it's how she works.

Viconia wants to die. I killed her out of mercy having assessed what she has been through. She can now enjoy oblivion. I think the cruelest thing you can do is to let her live. I understand people "spare her" out of "nostalgia" which is a selfish thing to do.

Happiness was never in the cards for Viconia. In the established lore she failed to overcome her own cruelty, which tracks. The Bg2 writers were humoring you by making a narrow and almost impossible path to her redemption, but I don't see that actually happening. She had been too long under Lolth's shadow - if she had chosen Eliastree things would have been very different, but she chose a Goddess almost as cruel and manipulative as Lolth.

Sarevok is a shadow of what he once was. Nobody who dies comes back the same, and Sarevok spent a long time in his Father's realm - The Throne of Blood in Gehenna. He is brought back but without his Bhaalspawn blood driving him, but with the memory of what he was and can never be again.

He has become like a parent that lives vicariously through his offspring. He is Orin's father and Grandfather. Not even going to get into the level of degeneracy it takes to behave that way.

Not to mention he is basically overseeing the Murder Tribunal now - the Bhallist equivalent of a "desk job"

Sarevok is a middle manager, a has been. This is what losing looks like.

I think Rahaya's description for this one was quite fitting: "Thermian Paradox". For people who don't know what that is, "a ‘Thermian Argument' is one that replies to criticism of a text with an in-universe justification for why the thing happens in the text, ignoring the actual argument in order to defend the text." Sequel A invents element B to make plot C happen, except element B never existed and directly contradicts the lore, then one person tries to defend plot C by using element B. Basically, "sequel A makes sense, because sequel A says it makes sense."

Many writers have twisted previous characters to make their cheap new stories happen, some even have done many times, such as WotC. Though I'll give another, more specific and famous example: how Neil Druckmann portrayed Joel in TLOU2. We all know Joel was beaten to death by a golf club in TLOU2—the plot C. But why? Because he and Tommy, two most experienced survivalists, easily gave out their names and settlement location to a bunch of armed strangers, in a zombie post apocalypse world where people would kill for a bag of potatoes—the element B. Therefore, Joel and Tommy were now foolish and clumsy.

Now, imagine when fans of TLOU1 argue that Joel and Tommy were never like that, a person tries to defend TLOU2 by saying no, Joel and Tommy were always foolish and clumsy. Why? Because element B, they gave out their crucial informations to strangers. Why they gave out their crucial informations to strangers, then? Oh, because they were foolish and clumsy. You see the problem here? The arguement now becomes a loop, ignoring the fact that the real fool was Neil Druckmann. (Btw, arguements like this are most welcomed by WotC, the king of cheap retcons.)

So allow me to change some words, "in the established lore", no, "in retcons the writer made up, plus some of my own fanfic". Now that's more suitable.

But let's move on, it was Blackheifer's later posts that brought me most joy. When someone disagreed with their headcanons, they suddenly became ultra defensive

To be read in Jay Brittons' "Upper Class Twit" Voice.

My goodness, how dare they not consult you before writing Viconia into the story, what with all your published novels and your clear and deep understanding of writing. Truly a loss for all of us I am sure.

I think she was too many young boys first sexual video game experience and they never got over it. Probably spent years writing steamy fanfiction about it all - ruining all those socks your dear mother bought you.

Your just one of those people that thinks that critical analysis is the same as hate. So sad.

Look, this is some more complex stuff so if english isn't your first language I don't want to be overly harsh about your lack of comprehension.

This is called "Ad hominem", a rhetorical fallacy "where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself", which is just one step away from literal name callings like "people who disagree with me are all arrogant and uneducated". Well, I have nothing else to say besides friends, don't be like Blackheifer, you will not only make yourself appear rude, but also invalid your own points.

But wild assumptions didn't stop there, here're some other gems

You know what Viconia is? She is proof that boys (and some gals) will go crazy over a good pair of digital breasts and a sultry voice despite a mountain of red flags surrounding them.

Well I must admit, they got me there, I chuckled. Like what were you talking about bro? Viconia was literally several pixel color blocks in BG1, and most character portraits in BG1&2 were ugly, they were not attractive at all. That's actually a common feature of many old games, due to limitations devs couldn't make characters physically appealing, so they put extra effort into world and character building to make players care. Blackheifer claimed themselves to be a veteran player who enjoyed the old games, yet personally I find it difficult to believe for reasons above, plus they said Viccy always wanted to be killed/defeated when her origin story was literally about surviving and living her own life.

And there's more

She is prepubescent male lust and the arrogance of "I can fix her" writ large.

I will not repeat all my arguments in my article and replies about why it's never about "fixing" or redemption, and why Viconia&Sarevok need neither of those to act in character. Let's just humor Blackheifer a bit. Homie, you realize your logic can also be applied to Laezel, Minthara, and Shadowheart, right? The "fixing" they could get in BG3 are more than Viconia could get in BG2, and the process is easier. So what now, are they all "prepubescent male lust" as well? The devs need to rewrite the whole story? Hey, I just disagree with the decisions devs made, but you're actually hating them.

I also love how players now may be diagnosed with mental issues

In THIS story, letting Viconia live is not only cruel to her, but it showcases a lack of conviction on the players part to bring to justice a mass murderer. Doing anything for the sake of sentimentality is how psychopaths and sociopaths operate. Congrats on failing that "good" playthrough. Pft.

Let's not mention that "whether Viconia should be spared in the end or not" is literally a nothing burger argument nobody asked for (many players simply want to skip that part), and let's also not mention how boring it is to judge players' moral during a crpg discussion, "conviction on the players part to bring to justice a mass murderer" huh? A mass murderer like who, Laezel? Minthara? Astarion? Or Shadowheart? (Two of those are also racists btw.) So should we have a public execution in BG4, to make all our old companions answer to their crimes?

What I found most hilarious is, the serious "mature me vs immature world" vibe Blackheifer gave, and the fact they're almost everything they thought everyone else to be. They claimed to be mature and others aren't, yet they seem to be the one who could only interpret characters in a very limited, one dimensional way—"evil is evil, bad is bad", unable to see the very different context behind different kinds of evil. They claimed to be thoughtful and others are arrogant, yet they announce one character to be "young boys' first sexual video game experience" and "simpy male wank fantasy crap", ignoring the fact there're plenty female players and new players from BG3 who also think how writer portrayed old characters is ridiculous. They claimed others went after themselves instead of their arguments, yet they categorized players, judged others' moral, questioned others' ability to comprehend, while providing wrong or no evidence to support their arguments. (My fanfic is mature and superior because I said so, am I right?) They claimed others to be "prepubescent male", yet they were the one who first mentioned "digital breasts", "sultry voice" and "ruining socks", which seemed to be a...well I don't want to say "virgin way of thinking", but if I have to pick one potential virgin in this thread, I know who I would pick.

OK, now it's time for my personal favourite ("OMG, win" is a close second)

Viconia is a liar, don't believe anything she says. She sees you as lesser and has no compunction about lying to you. She gets you to compromise your values over and over again just to "be with her" - starting with the murder of a Flaming Fist officer.

It's over guys. I guess we just have to distrust every character after they lied to us once, it's literally beyond our comprehension to distinguish what are lies and what aren't. You know who else was a Shar follower and has lied to us? Shadowheart. Maybe she was a manipulator as well. So I can't trust Viconia, I can't trust her lines, I can't trust devs of the old games, I can't even trust the story, it's all a lie. What can I trust then? Blackheifer and their fanfic? Sounds great, except there's a tiny loophole. They claimed that Viconia lied to us so we can be with her and help her achieve her evil goals, so what happened when we chose to believe her lies? She...ended the romance? Then...she left the party? And then...she made zero attempt to rejoin till the end? So...her plan only worked when players carefully chose to not believe her lies? A super smart move if you ask me. Honestly, I won't be surprised if Blackheifer was the real writer behind Viconia&Sarevok's parts in BG3, maybe a senior in WotC as well.

All right. This post is just for fun because I was really amused, not a reply to Blackheifer nor do I have the desire to speak further with them, so please don't bother to reply me. I think we should all follow Gray Ghost and the moderator's suggestion, ignore this nonsence, but also thank Blackheifer for becoming the fresh air and amusement in this thread.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Sorry Paladin, but this will also be the last time I reply to you. It's common for people to have different opinions, however in this case, I don't think both sides' opinions are equally valid, which was just proved by Blackheifer unfortunately. One side wants original, more complex characters, the other wants "cruel, selfish, racist, arrogant and a mass murderer". Though judging from the nothing burger arguments you made earlier, maybe you agree with them? That "Aerie is a childish whinny girl, Jaheira is a self-righteous harper and Sarevok is always a puppy dog."

OP confirmed that including the development in previous game to this game would be good but it wasn't their point, yet seems to be troubled when the development isn't fitting to what "Viconia" means to them

You seem to deliberately miss my points, so let me humor you once. OK, Viconia's romance/development never happened, what then? The 2 choices we have are 1. BG1 original Viconia who refused to kill a child 2. BG2 evil ending Viconia who rebelled against Shar then saved a city with Drizzt. Which one is same with the one we got in BG3?
And what exact development did we get? Can you tell the difference between development and sudden retcon?

I think we should be thankful that it's not up to you then. Imagine this, one day they make a GOT game but the campaign players get is from season 8. You think Daenerys fans will be happier if devs make the city burning lunatic a follower instead of a boss? Pure delusion, sorry to say. No thank you, we're good, get that woman out of our game please.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by naddaya
Alignment =/= personality. Characters of the same alignment can have different motivations, values and personality traits. Fiction would become boring pretty soon otherwise.

Thank you, well said. That's how they wrote Bhaalspawns in BG1&2, remember those? How they were different from each other but all interesting? WotC removed alignments from 5e, yet sadly the stories have become more black&white and childish than ever.

veteran
veteran
Did anyone read this by chance? It was one of those rare examples of pretty decent game Journalism, you know like probably cause it's an interview! Hehe...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/if...en-james-ohlen-is-correcting-the-balance

I think the title might get missed unless you know who the dude is in BG terms, or have thoughts on SWTOR, or recognized the Irenicus art in the thumbnail. But he offers reflections on the challenges of writing story and it's kinda relevant/topical. Also again, just rare, in a sea of BG3 articles summarizing reddit threads to find a diamond in the rough there. Also ran that campaign where Minsc was introduced before being introduced, so seemed apropos there. Since he gave us the first Boo even, and then how Cam ran with it and then now it's a whole thing! Gotta love that stuff!

It took another article to summarize the first article with a tagline and spicy quote hehe...

"If open-world is the enemy of storytelling, multiplayer is the arch-villain"

https://www.gamesradar.com/star-war...telling-multiplayer-is-the-arch-villain/

But again the second article is just rehashing and summarizing the first, so better to read the actual than that one, though it reminded of how threads work sometimes with their titles and what catches eyes.

Not that I totally agree with some those takes, just thought it was curious. Current Bioware is one of the big bads these days by most reckonings, but hearing from the old timers is always insightful.

To the discussion ongoing, I find on these boards (and on most boards) that its easy to fall in the trap of being dismissive or to wolf pack it into factions. Like this is a place for the most ardent of BG and BG3 fans to come express and debate the finer details, so it can definitely get salty sometimes, but it's still better than steam so we kinda make do as best we can.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 11/10/23 09:38 AM.
veteran
veteran
Black Elk, agree on your last sentence. I have to read that article later, but it sounds interesting.

I think, it is easier to do Jaheira and Minsc justice, since they basically have their defined morals from beginning of BG1 to the end of ToB.
Viconia and Sarevok are harder,since they can change a lot during different playthroughs. In my playthroughs Viconia stayed the evil Shar priestess and Sarevok was seldom used by me, so I guess, he never had the alignment change.
So for me, having those two appear in BG 3 like they are, was absolutely ok, I didn't even questioned it.
But since they can have so many changes, maybe it would have been better to go with some of the other characters.
Maybe have us meet Kivan in act 2, who is trying to help with the Shadowcurse ( maybe he could even have been an alternative, if Halsin for some reason is dead), maybe meet Korgan in one of the thief guilds, have Xzan tied to the Lorroakan plot.
I don't know, but I doubt, it will be changed now

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard