Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Hes
We actually know quite a bit about Orpheus. We know he is a githyanki, which means he is 1) fiercely loyal to the cause and 2) really, really doesn't like illithids. These two things suggest that Orpheus can be a potential, and a rather useful ally.
And if we choose to not immediately dump a potential ally, we are betraying the Emperor? Even if he is right and Orpheus will attack as once freed, we can just kill him and let the Emperor eat hsi brain. There's literally no reason to not free him, other than the Emperor being a bastard, which he was throughout the entire game.

I'm sorry, but just knowing his race does not count as knowing quite a bit. (Also, the githyanki cause is only fair to tolerate if you're a githyanki yourself. Otherwise you are his potential enemy and slave. But I suppose you mean the enemy of my enemy etc, ignoring that the Netherbrain IS the Emperor's enemy too.)

And I've already said previously, the reason we can't free him with Emperor on our side is because Larian wanted to force us to choose. So you're right about one thing: there's no reason to not free Orpheus in any reasonable universe. Give us persuasion checks, or whatever, but we need an option to conclude this in a reasonable manner.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Those are our only options and the The Emperor lied to us and manipulated us. Load the appropriate saves or search on youtube - the Guardian gives us advice on where to find a cure while encouraging us to make the infection worse. As the book tells us judge a mind flayer by their deeds, not their words. The Emperor tells us they never lied to us but that's false - they were leading us down a path towards transforming into an illithid while dangling the promise of a cure in front our eyes.

And the emperor has clearly lost itself - it killed its best friend, destroyed the mind of a duke of baldur's gate and transformed from the roguish hero of the city into the leader of a front organization for a devil. There's a good deal of support for seeing the Emperor as an evil, soulless monster but, for some reason, that's not reflected in the dialogues you have with it.

Yes, the Emperor enabled us to find the source of the problem. He knew that we were up against an Elder Brain and knew that having more power would aid the cause to defeat it. He absolutely was not lying when he said he was on our side, and that he wanted us and himself to be free. He never even asked you to become an illithid (you could give the stones to him), and before that he merely encouraged you to use the powers (and the Astral tadpole).

I don't know what you were reading into the dialogue but I never felt lied to. Did he present his arguments in an appealing way? Yes. Could he be more transparent? Certainly, but that risks you refusing to work with him, and becoming enslaved to the Brain. That's not a great strategy.

Also, he killed Ansur in self-defence. That's very clear, and supported by Ansur's dialogue that Ansur was going to kill him.

veteran
veteran
He never even asked you to become an illithid (you could give the stones to him), and before that he merely encouraged you to use the powers (and the Astral tadpole).

Have you played a no Illithid powers game? I think we are playing two different games - he constantly berates you for not slurping up tadpoles and chastises you when you squash the astral tadpole. It's *clearly* leading us down the garden path for transformation.

I don't know what you were reading into the dialogue but I never felt lied to.

I mean I appreciate your commitment to your position but come on

". . . Just like you I was infected by a mind flayer parasite. Just like you I seek to be free of it . . ."

And it later tells us the truth - even if his original body was available he wouldn't return to it. He doesn't seek to be free of the parasite he seeks to "evolve" and he seeks to "evolve" us.

It also hides the fact that Stelmane was thrall, completely misrepresenting it's relationship with her. And it doesn't reveal the killing of Ansur until it has no other choice and indeed it advises us to avoid discovering the truth of how far it's evil has spread.

It came in a false form, it misrepresented itself as the guardian and created an illusion of a sword at it's heart. In truth the sword could not kill it and the only purpose of the kabuki was to gain our trust.

It misrepresented the knights of the shield as mercantile organization when, in truth, it's front group for a devil whose real purpose is corrupt the governments of Faerun.

In sum, it's a completely manipulative relationship based on lies, misrepresentations and half truths.

Also, he killed Ansur in self-defence.

Balduran's friend was clearly in the right and The Emperor's decision to kill the friend of his human host confirms that Ansur was correct. Balduran was dead and some awful pantomime of him remained - which will also be our fate / Karlach's fate if we don't opt to die at the end of the game.

We need a "no mind flayer" option and we need to be able to denounce The Emperor without sounding like a petulant child.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
You're repeating everything you said previously. I disagree.

Balduran's friend was clearly in the right and The Emperor's decision to kill the friend of his human host confirms that Ansur was correct. Balduran was dead and some awful pantomime of him remained - which will also be our fate / Karlach's fate if we don't opt to die at the end of the game.

We need a "no mind flayer" option and we need to be able to denounce The Emperor without sounding like a petulant child.

The Emperor retains some of Balduran in him, that's pretty obvious to me. But it sounds like you're just biased against all things illithid, so good for you, I guess, that you can make the Emperor the villain in your game.

Last edited by RoseL; 11/10/23 04:03 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
To me is still very off/wrong how many reviewers in YouTube etc. claimed that they played the game, and they did not mention (so many of them), how lacking was the ending of the game. You can not review something like Game of Thrones, and then say, "well only the ending was bad", to me it is clear in BG3, that the problems in the plot happened earlier and the freedom of choice was slowly taken away after Act 1... so quality drop of the game started much earlier than Act 3. But sure, even with the ending, the lacking of epilogue and other problems of the game, BG3 is not 1/10 or 4/10, it is better than that, but not 9/10 or 10/10, those numbers seems to me the hype around this game, not reality of its curent state.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RoseL
You're repeating everything you said previously. I disagree.

I'm restating my position while adding quotes and citing relevant examples - something you've not done. Providing evidence for your assertions is not simply repeating. I do respect being committed to the discussion but I don't respect dismal of evidence.

The Emperor: ". . . Just like you I was infected by a mind flayer parasite. Just like you I seek to be free of it . . ."

How is this not a lie?

so good for you, I guess, that you can make the Emperor the villain in your game.

But not a very good villain. Raphel and even Mizora make for better villains. The end game is just not well written - I kinda wish the house of hope were the final battle.

And yes I am biased against monsters who enslave, mentally dominate and eat the brains of humans. While we are the topic of 'biases' against brain eaters I'm also anti zombie and anti brain destroying protozoa. Guess I'm just full of irrational prejudices. *eye roll*

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 11/10/23 04:41 AM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I was going to edit my previous post when the forum timed out.

Have you played a no Illithid powers game? I think we are playing two different games - he constantly berates you for not slurping up tadpoles and chastises you when you squash the astral tadpole. It's *clearly* leading us down the garden path for transformation.

I suspect I've played more than you. I've tried both endings. I suppose you will never ally with the Emperor so I guess I can spoil this for you. At the end, he never once asks you to transform. You need an illithid in the party, so it can be him or someone else. You need to ASK for him to transform you.

EDIT: Also, the reason why he wants you to absorb the tadpole is that you are objectively more powerful with illithid powers. And he wants us to win. That is all there is to it. His thinking that illithids are superior may rub you the wrong way, but that is not the reason why he asks you to do it.

". . . Just like you I was infected by a mind flayer parasite. Just like you I seek to be free of it . . ."

And it later tells us the truth - even if his original body was available he wouldn't return to it. He doesn't seek to be free of the parasite he seeks to "evolve" and he seeks to "evolve" us.

Yes, he seeks to be free. It's true he doesn't at that stage tell us what he seeks to be free from. Because at that stage the game has not revealed to us about the Elder Brain.

It also hides the fact that Stelmane was thrall, completely misrepresenting it's relationship with her. And it doesn't reveal the killing of Ansur until it has no other choice and indeed it advises us to avoid discovering the truth of how far it's evil has spread.

His relationship with Stelmane was problematic, I agree. He didn't want to visit Ansur because he knew it would lead to a fight, a fight which could kill us and jeopardise the mission.

It came in a false form, it misrepresented itself as the guardian and created an illusion of a sword at it's heart. In truth the sword could not kill it and the only purpose of the kabuki was to gain our trust.

I see the Guardian as a sort of Brand Ambassador, a pretty face to put to something that you would initially recoil from. It is not dissimilar to marketing.

Last edited by RoseL; 11/10/23 05:12 AM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
And yes I am biased against monsters who enslave, mentally dominate and eat the brains of humans. While we are the topic of 'biases' against brain eaters I'm also anti zombie and anti brain destroying protozoa. Guess I'm just full of irrational prejudices. *eye roll*

What I mean is that your bias is preventing you from judging the Emperor as an individual.

veteran
veteran
Reposting this response because I fear that @ledra2 's has been sidetracked by the discussion between RoseL and I.

I do hope that people who are dissatisfied by the need for a mind flayer at the end game are submitting comments to Larian's feedback portal as well as expressing it here.

https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3#modal

Originally Posted by Ieldra2
i would like to focus again on the reason(s) why this setup "someone must become a mind flayer" feels so bad. I think I have found the main culprit: the fact that these scenarios, as they are, turn the theme of your personal story, which you set by how you deal with the tadpoles, into its opposite.

. . .

What does everyone think? Am I onto something here?

Well said. Yes, you are correct and I hope that Larian is reading this thread. I didn't play ME3 so I can't comment on that comparison but the ending feels like a defeat for the Tav who avoided "absorbing" tadpole and using the illithid powers. And it doesn't feel tragic - it's more bathos than pathos.

"well it seems that the uber-brain was really a nether-uber-brain and that means all your attempt to avoid become a mind flayer have failed. Also, dilithium crystals"

The ending needs to be revised and I hope that happens sooner rather than later.

journeyman
journeyman
I'd say the endings are worse than ME3. Both have annoyingly idiotic main antagonists and a trolley meme ending, but at least in ME3 there was one option that didn't totally compromise the PCs person and even gave a shot of surviving in the end, which made the ending less bleak. Also, unlike in the endings of BG3, in ME3 you didn't win any prizes by fucking other people over.

Didn't complete chapter 3 in BG3 partly because it became obvious you were being railroaded towards unavoidable ceremorphosis. And sure enough you were treated with a rather disgusting trolley meme choice situation in the end, with three choises which were all disagreeable:

1)Double suicide. Choose yourself as the sacrificial victim and then commit a (second) suicide in the end by offing your tentacle husk where some remnant of your sentience still lingers. Which is really the only sensible solution for a good RP given that the chances you'll end up as anything else than a monster are next to non-existent.

2)For the lulz. Save your own hide by choosing maybe the most upbeat, and in a sense the most childlike, trusting person of all the companions for degradation into a junkless soulless clueless predatory husk.

3)Fuck everyone. Choose to turn the leader of a gith slave revolt into the thing he most despises and in the process compromise the fight against mindflayers, and fuck over the budding revolution against Vlaakith before it even gets properly started.

Not really that hopeful Larian will actually change the ending into anything better. I mean, they didn't implement a early way to opt out of your subjugation to Daisy/Guardian, just tweaked a bit our mind flayer overlord into something marginally less creepy, and gave players trying to avoid the ceremorphosis pretty much the shittiest possible ending(s).

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
I
Ieldra2 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
@KillerRabbit:
Thanks for reposting. I would, indeed, like to focus on how this scene with the Emperor and Orpheus breaks the story, rather than taking a side.

@all:
Meanwhile, this taking a side unfortunately presents another way this scene breaks the story, independently from "someone must become a mind flayer".

The problem is this: until this point, the "sides" of the Emperor and Orpheus remain ambiguous enough that you can rationalize taking either side. Arguably, risking that Orpheus may not be cooperative but siding with him nonetheless because he's not Cthulhu is more of a "good-ish" attitude, and sticking with the Emperor as a known quantity in spite of being Cthulhu shows more of a pragmatic/evil-ish attitude, but in the end these sides are ambiguous enough - until this point - that taking either side can be rationalized, taking either side is at least not obviously idiotic regardless of the player character's moral stance. Which means, until this point we could write our own story and take sides according to the theme of our personal story, which we set by how we deal with the tadpoles, with little constraint by the main narrative. It is very obvious that this freedom to use the game to write your story was of considerable importance in the design of the game.

However, this breaks down at this scene for any good-ish character. For simplicity's sake let's define such a character by an unwillingness to take lives without a very good reason, and an unwillingless to take the life of a bound or helpless entity without an even better reason. Such a character would never agree to the Emperor's consuming Orpheus brain, at least not without questioning the need severely and investigating how this could be avoided. We cannot question and we cannot investigate, so letting the Emperor just do this is an evil decision.

So this ruins the story of any good-ish character who would want to side with the Emperor. Which according to the game's narrative, has until this point been reasonably plausible, with no indication that we'd have to cross a moral event horizon if we want to continue with the Emperor to the end.

This could've been avoided by a simple alteration: letting us speak with Orpheus. If he did not trust us because we were too much mind flayer (ie having consumed the astral tadpole), that would've been a somewhat understandable reaction, even if strategically unsound, and then we could've told the Emperor to go along because after all, we do need to win, and sacrificing someone who refused to support us in this mission of extreme importance after giving him the chance, is rather more acceptable and also not out of character since if we do this, we're likely half illithid ourselves.

As it is, however, if you want to win with the Emperor, you are railroaded into evil. And if you want to win as a human being, you are rewarded by becoming Cthulhu. And this against the way you had been able to play the rest of the game, if you were good in the former case, and anti-Cthulhu in the latter case.

In essence, you can only be good if you're also anti-Cthulhu, but if you are, you will become Cthulhu. A kind of double-bind that's worthy of a devil's duplicity.

Last edited by Ieldra2; 11/10/23 11:47 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Annahri
About becoming a mindflayer... the Emperor basically tells you this because you have to think like a mindflayer in order to defeat the brain. But why would I trust him? He claims to be your protector. But in reality he's only there to make sure that the one who really protects us (Orpheus) stays in his prison.

When we first run into the brain, we can't control it. But Tav is doing this alone. They could have played into that. Because we have these powers to link our minds with our companions. When we free Orpheus he could suggest linking our minds to become one and he would be there to protect us. Tav could be the catalyst and depending who you have with you in your party they could have played into their individuality. For instance, the party would feel the determination of Lae'zel, the sense of duty of Wyll, the fire and freedom of Karlach, etc. And by linking them with Orpheus' protection the brain would become weak enough to fight.

I don't know what you think, but this would have been a much more satisfying end for me.

Yes! I really love this idea, I wish this had been an option!

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Salleone
Yes! I really love this idea, I wish this had been an option!

Thank you. It makes absolutely no sense to me that our party is so little involved during the end. If I'm not mistaken, only Karlach and Lae'zel offer some input. If you decide to become a mind flayer, or have Karlach become one (which is a another can of worms), there's hardly any response. I just wish our band of misfits would be able to solve this without anyone becoming an Illithid.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Ieldra2
This could've been avoided by a simple alteration: letting us speak with Orpheus.

It really frustrates me that this isn't an option. Especially when you have Lae'zel with you. By that time you already know a lot of what's going on. And you've spoken to Voss, who will tell you that Orpheus will see sense. He won't attack you because he needs you. I mean, what is he going to do? Fight the netherbrain on his own when he has a mind flayer right there who will do that for him? And surely even our pragmatic Emperor would see sense in that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard