Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Slayer form is a huge part of Bhaalspawn saga, when I got it for the first time, I got so hyped in BG2

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the graphics of the graphics are much gorgeous :

So, the Dark Urge which gives all in gets such amazing transformation.

The Dark Urge which resists its killer instinct loses such amazing transformatio and ... Gets nothing.

Would be cool IF a Dark Urge which resists its urge gets a SLA(Spell Like Ability), for example, casters get a SLA allowing him to cast once per long rest Finger of Death. I know that this spell in 5E is extremely weaker than in 2E. Martial Dark Urges can get the ability to imbue its melee attacks with necrotic damage.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
This is a complaint a lot of us have the consuming the worms, there is no reward for resisting that power.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Slayer form is a huge part of Bhaalspawn saga, when I got it for the first time, I got so hyped in BG2

And the graphics of the graphics are much gorgeous :

So, the Dark Urge which gives all in gets such amazing transformation.

The Dark Urge which resists its killer instinct loses such amazing transformatio and ... Gets nothing.

Would be cool IF a Dark Urge which resists its urge gets a SLA(Spell Like Ability), for example, casters get a SLA allowing him to cast once per long rest Finger of Death. I know that this spell in 5E is extremely weaker than in 2E. Martial Dark Urges can get the ability to imbue its melee attacks with necrotic damage.
Would've loved it they still ended up as an heroic Bhaalspawn, Charname/Abdel Adrian/Gorion's Ward didn't lose their Bhaal hertiage when they defied Bhaal himself

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 08/10/23 06:33 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Zentu
This is a complaint a lot of us have the consuming the worms, there is no reward for resisting that power.

This too.

If you look to throne part of BG2, there is rewards for good and evil characters.

veteran
veteran
So if we resist the Urge and don't get the form, then we should get a supped up version of the Dream/Soul Abilities from BG1.

Minor Drain
Cure Light Wounds
Horror
Slow Poison
Vampiric Touch
Draw Upon Holy Might

Or whatever gets sorta close to that for a callback in the current. That would be kinda cool.

While the Slayer form is fun if you're playing a squishier character like a sorcerer, it's not all that crazy if playing a more melee oriented character. Like Lae'zel is probably still upstaging the Slayer most of the time. It probably needs a crazier movement type ability to make it interesting, like climbing any wall or walk on the ceiling or something lol.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 08/10/23 08:17 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
This abilities are from BG1. BG1 is a very low level D&D adventure.

Slayer form alone could destroy a entire mindflayer colony and mindflayers in 2E are much stronger than 5E mindflayers which lacks the save or die psionics and nasty abiltiies.

veteran
veteran
Well sure, the spells are also from 3 editions ago, which is why they'd need to be supped up hehe.

Draw Upon Holy Might was pretty solid, since it affected 3 attributes and scaled with char lvl, though not the most exciting if Chaname was a cleric who already had the spell.

Minor Drain was nice, since it was a near instantaneous interrupt, making it basically a budget version of Counterspell in the old rt with pause frame. Here they could probably just offer the actual Counterspell which is very useful.

Horror was pretty solid, as one of the better early crowd control spells. But again, if you already had the scroll, or same deal with Slow poison. Cure Light Wounds should obviously just be Healing Word here, since that's a much better spell in BG3 with the range hehe.

All these were quickly eclipsed by regular BG2 spells and abilities and also the Slayer form that you'd get regardless of your actual choices there, when Irenicus stole your 'soul.'

They could just take similar ideas though and apply them to whatever Boon resisting the Urge gets us here.

Ps. Unrelated but sorta related - this is hilarious...!

"Don't worry, Violet" lol

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/10/23 09:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
I loved the Amelia Tyler playthrough, her and Jay are a great team of nonsense and tomfoolery.

Having said that, I object to the idea that the reward for resisting power should be...power?

The reward is that you get to keep your soul, untainted and free from the influence of your murderhobo daddy. Isn't that a huge reward? You get to exist as not being a slave? They keep saying this about the whole Slayer thing is that you are basically a superpowered slave.

Same with the Illithid powers, you get to exist whole and uncorrupted by the Mindflayers evil.

It's like Lord Voldemort demanding a reward for NOT creating horcruxes. The reward Voldemort, is that you get to keep your soul, whole and unbroken so you don't start acting like an insane, unstable person.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Yeah I mean that's definitely a fair point hehe.

The problem is that not-Power doesn't leave quite as much to work with as Power, at least in terms of gameplay mechanics. The Evil path does keep getting nudged towards the Good though, so if I had to pick I'd probably still go with giving more to the Evil Durge, like even more stuff, just to make sure that run remains satisfying. I think they could do more with the "Haunted" background, like where we have the ghosts trailing us around. Everything about the Durge is like just burning through companions left and right, so clearly the real boon is keeping your companions alive, but since there's a pretty good chance the player has already done that sort of thing with their Tav, Good Durge probably still needs something to ice it at the end.

Tadpole powers are much the same honestly. One thing I find frustrating in that case is that I don't really like permanent visuals taking over my avatar.

So having my eyes turn black and a bunch of veins bulging out, makes me want to avoid half-ilithid transformation, not because I don't want the power, but because the visual is forced on us. Allowing Volo to icepick you feels a bit different, since declining that one isn't as impactful. I think it wouldn't grate as much if the visual was only temporary, like a thing that we can't hide immediately after transforming using our powers, but which goes away if we long rest or splash some water on our face to snap out of it. I think this could be handwaved as dissembling magic. The same way Orin can wear whatever face, or Ethel can make herself appear harmless through deception. Anyway, as a general rule, spell-like vfx on the avatar should probably be temp visuals. Least with the Slayer form, when you transform back, it doesn't undo all that work you did in Char creation or at the mirror.

On that point, even the Mantle which you can usually wind up wearing with whatever sort of Durge, also ends up being an avatar visualization issue. I'm really not sure why they went with a cloak, since there's still a lot of clipping with those for weapons on the back. I'd probably be more amenable there with weapons on my belt, or a 'hide' mantle option. Those are modelling issues granted, but still, when the cape cuts your sword or staff in two, just makes me not want to wear it half the time, even if it's thematic and quite useful.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/10/23 11:24 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I understand but there should still be at least some incentive for playing a Good Durge or Gurge for short, if Redemption doesn't offer Power, then Money, Fame and Women would be equally good substitutes, maybe even Full Immortality (unkillable + agelessness) as a bonus, offer us a deal,

Atleast give us something to work other Spawn of None, maybe make the Gurge a Jergalspawn.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 10/10/23 12:43 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, I"m all fine with good path being harder and less rewarding Sai the Elf. The problem is when is NO rewarding. If someone manages to resist a tadpole enhanced by netherese magic, imo that person should get at least train its willpower, how it is is depicted in game, is another discussion.

The slayer form in BG2, was a huge power at huge cost.

A
A
Tadpoles are free power ups for the most part, which is insane. They should not be like this, same with the Dark Urge.

Personally, I hate the ending for Dark Urge, when you reject spoiler.
He simply snaps his fingers, gets rid of the taint (killing you), only for Withers to bring them back with no strings attached.

At that point, even if you had acquired
the Slayer form,
it is taken away from you.

There are no rewards for resisting the Dark Urge, but the rewards for falling into it are just as bad, which I wrote about in the suggestions:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=109081&Number=904803#Post904803

As for good Dark Urge:

I think the issue is lack of reactions and like 3 scenes in the entire game. Resisting the urge is easy for the most part, there is only one scene with two wisdom saving throws, where it comes into play. It should be more of a struggle, your companions noticing your inner conflict.

That or an idea from old Megaman game. I think it was Network 6 or something on GBA.

Basically there, you could transform into a very powerful beast form, but only for limited turns. After that you had to fight battles without using to be able to use it again safely.

In BG3 I think it should be like 3 turns (or more), requiring you to take FULL RESTS to recover. Also, gaining spoiler form without killing the npc in Act 2 for a Terrible reward.

Last edited by Annoyed Player; 10/10/23 05:16 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Annoyed Player
you could transform into a very powerful beast form, but only for limited turns. After that you had to fight battles without using to be able to use it again safely..

That is a silly idea imo. Just a long cooldown in between fights, Baldur's Gate 2 had a reputation cost and you take damage in slayer form.

My idea would be the following :

Slayer is incredible powerful. Much more powerful than a fighter at lv cap. However, each turn in Slayer form sets your CON to 3 until you(not party members) kill a humanoid creature for each turn stayed in slayer form. That would fit the "lord of murder" power and if you use too often, you will only be able to fight with your dark gift.

-----------

About tadpoles being just free power, I strongly agree. You lose nothing for becoming a flying tentacle psionic monstrosity.

Would be cool if there was many ways to remove the parasite, each one with good and bad effects. For eg, dying, leaving the parasyte to die and becoming undead, most notabely a vampire, it could be archived via bargaining with Cazador. Or making a homunclus clone and transferring your soul to the construct. It could be done bargaining with the owner of Sorcerous Sundries and offering to him what he really wants.

I
old hand
old hand
I
The problem alway comes back to Larian and their warped idea of fun.

The same way as they dislike normal combat and want you to cheese, Larian wants you to use tadpoles for "kewl, awesom powerz". You can not use them, but in the eyes of Larian you play the game wrong you weirdo.

The same way DU is for murderhobo edgelords. Which is why there is no reward for playing differently.

addict
addict
*I think* Your reward for resisting it is that you got rid out it, you become not-Dark Urge.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal
DU is for murderhobo edgelords. Which is why there is no reward for playing differently.

I have over 500 hours of baldur's gate 2. Played multiple times, with multiple characters, soloed the enhanced edition in legacy of bhaal difficulty with a pure RP build and played Dark Urge exactly because I wanted to know what Larian is doing with the Bhaalspawn saga. That is why I chose Dark Urge. I wanna be the Bhaalspawn again.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 10/10/23 09:15 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ixal
The problem alway comes back to Larian and their warped idea of fun.

The same way as they dislike normal combat and want you to cheese, Larian wants you to use tadpoles for "kewl, awesom powerz". You can not use them, but in the eyes of Larian you play the game wrong you weirdo.

The same way DU is for murderhobo edgelords. Which is why there is no reward for playing differently.
Durge is the original intended Player Character, all that reduced to just a murderhobo.

veteran
veteran
I'm really not convinced that this is true. We know that in EA you had a scene where you felt a sudden urge to kill Daisy, but that's it, nothing else even resembling that in all of EA. So clearly if Dark urge was on their radar it was nothing more than a maybe cool idea, nothing as cut and dry as "original jntended PC." And if that were true, then my guess is Larian separated them so that they could go full on edgelord, gory crazy stuff now that they had an option for players who didn't want that.

addict
OP Offline
addict
My guess is that Larian initially wanted to not even worry about Bhaalspawn saga and then changed its mind and decided to "continue" the saga.

Link Copied to Clipboard