Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Garresh
Anyways in my experience it's not the OP stuff that is the issue, but the UP stuff. I've been frustrated in my SP game to the point of restarting because my Tav was focused on control and healing and it was frustratingly weak. In 2 separate multiplayer games I've had players frustrated because they felt weak/useless compared to other party members or were frustrated with their spells not doing much.

Is anything UP in BG3?

Casters are weaker at first but quickly become as OP as martials. It doesn't take long to get there.

As much as anything the game suffers because the available content is exhausted very quickly and in that respect is overpriced

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Zentu
This is a tough road to walk. How do you make a game easy enough for causal play and tough enough for the purists?

Then the whole balance issue which is a mess because of the desire to use as much DnD as you can. DnD is designed around the use of an active GM, someone that can tweak things on the fly and make snap decisions with an unforeseen player action could rerail everything. With a CRPG there is simply no way to do this short of putting limits on player actions.

While, as a DnD old school fan boy purist, there is much I would like to see changed, on the whole I think Larian did a good job of walking the line and making the game accessible to all levels of skill and interest.

Is this not what difficulty options are for? One of the big issues with BG3 gameplay is that there's multiple options for casual players to make the game easier via difficulty options, and no options for advanced players beyond policing themselves from using the broken rule changes.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Myhthreindeer
Originally Posted by Garresh
Anyways in my experience it's not the OP stuff that is the issue, but the UP stuff. I've been frustrated in my SP game to the point of restarting because my Tav was focused on control and healing and it was frustratingly weak. In 2 separate multiplayer games I've had players frustrated because they felt weak/useless compared to other party members or were frustrated with their spells not doing much.

Is anything UP in BG3?

Casters are weaker at first but quickly become as OP as martials. It doesn't take long to get there.

As much as anything the game suffers because the available content is exhausted very quickly and in that respect is overpriced

Compared to other options, yes. 4 elements monk is still pretty terrible. Arcane Trickster is godawful as a utility character. Champion is still an awful subclass(it was in tabletop though). Druid spell selection is pretty bad due to a mix of bugs and odd design choices. Control spells in general are overnerfed to the point any caster who builds for control may feel frustrated especially in a multiplayer game.

Some of these were issues in tabletop to be sure. But a lot of these issues are due to Larian's changes. Shove and Jump as bonus actions pretty much hard counter control and hazard spells. The mage hand changes from a tool of theft to a crappy combat spell really hurts arcane trickster(plus the bugs). Basically Larian nerfed things that didn't need nerfing. I'm cool with balance changes. Lord knows there were some failures of 5e tabletop. But most of the worst offenders haven't actually been fixed by the changes in BG3. And in general the changes made underpowered options a lot worse due to mobility and damage being overbuffed.

H
stranger
stranger
H
While not 100% related to the above, I really feel like they should move being able to crit with spells to be a feature of Arcane Trickster. It kind'a fits thematically and it feels like a bit too strong for a lv1 feature (considering it does scale for some reason with stuff like Potent Robe and Agonizing Blast).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Hajutze
While not 100% related to the above, I really feel like they should move being able to crit with spells to be a feature of Arcane Trickster. It kind'a fits thematically and it feels like a bit too strong for a lv1 feature (considering it does scale for some reason with stuff like Potent Robe and Agonizing Blast).

I've honestly thought of so many, many fixes for the class that I'm surprised it's so difficult for them to just bin mage hand and do something different (you know, kind of exactly how they did with the GOO Warlock?)

What about a version of Cutting Words? They have an ability where the Bard saying some nasty words to someone reduces their saving throws...

... so why not give the AT a version of that which works like Magical Ambush? If you're hidden the saving throws against your spells are reduced by D6 (at level 3) and this increases to D8 at level 6 and D10 at level 10? Kind of like a magical sneak attack without the cop-out version of just letting spells proc sneak attack dice (why do that when you can just fire a bow and accomplish the same thing?)

Simple.

Honestly, I just don't think they like the class...

Last edited by SJT_5; 23/11/23 01:40 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard