Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 52 of 93 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 92 93
journeyman
journeyman
I finally got around to doing the Thaniel stuff, and thus Halsin is finally an actual party member instead of a silent bear sitting in the back of my camp.

And, boy he does open up a lot more in terms of dialogue options! Which is a nice change, at least - but, yet again, I express disappointment that it seems to take halfway through the game (possibly, depending on your speed) for him to actually... have anything to talk about, or anything interesting about him outside of the few conversations before he joins your camp.

I really do like him as a character, in Acts 1 and 2. He comes across as a very mature, grounded, and comforting figure - providing a nice change from the gaggle of varying disasters you bring along with you otherwise (I love all of them). Getting into some of his backstory was enjoyable, as well! I just wish it felt more like a slow-burn in that regard than a "please be [X] level before seeking further interaction", which is what it feels like at the moment.

Still not flirting with him, as again - not the save for him. (Heck, I accidentally had a romance scene with Wyll that came out of nowhere, and felt bad when I had to turn him down! He has such hurt puppy eyes. wyllcry I feel bad he's so far down on my playthrough list, he's such a nice lad.)

But, he at least feels a bit more like a character now instead of a quest-giver. I simply dread to see how he might do an about-face in terms of personality, though, come Act 3...

At least his owlbear form is adorable!

Last edited by MarbleNest; 10/10/23 10:13 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Chiquidmaster
Originally Posted by Michieltjuhh
Originally Posted by Laras
The more I read this topic, the sadder I feel. I just can't believe that something will change for the better. Perhaps they will rescheduled the conversation about his capture by the drow. And they will make a message in Act 1 about his preferences and what awaits us in Act 3.
I just can't believe that the person (author) who made such an evil joke under fans will meet us halfway in at least something. Although, perhaps, autumn and cold are to blame for my pessimism.
It's an interesting thought. They keep claiming the game is this good in large thanks to feedback during EA. However, if this is how feedback is received, can they still expect to get any in the future? I think most people who wanted Halsin as romance companion would've rather been ignored than have what it turned out to be now.

Unless things change they burned bridges with you lot for the sake of a few extra sales from people who likely quit in act 1 and will not buy their next product.

This. I decided this a long time ago: if Halsin and the epilogues are not fixed in a reasonable time, I will not buy a Larian title again until I have read the forums and see that everything is complete and acceptable. For me the current situation is not at all acceptable, I pay for a complete and well-made game not because you remove the things that you announced weeks before and kill Halsin looking for the meme. But that's my opinion.

There are not a few of us in this thread pointing out the defects in the realization of the character. If Larian was looking for a meme that will be forgotten in a short time, if he was looking to create a memorable character it is an absolute failure. I want to believe as a software developer that they have gotten carried away by the rush to get it out quickly and the possibility of "publicity" derived from this, but that they will fix everything because nobody wants their characters to be forgettable like Halsin is right now

I have somewhat similar feelings about a game. To clarify I bought it 2 years ago when I found out that new Baldur's Gate game is in development. But the way game evolved in 3rd act. It's more horny than story.
Why to add bestiality in the game? Why to add Mizora sex scene? Why to glorify cheating(see SH and Astarion reaction on Mizora)? Why to add Haarlep scene if it is unfinished? Companions are basically watching and chilling. 0 reactivity. Halsin dude has such lore potential, but became cringe sex-toy. Similar with SH, Astarion. Sexually and mentally abused individuals get horny when enter a brothel. Every 2nd banter is about flirting/horniness. Everything for horny fan base. But there was no time and resources for 2 minutes slide show after beating 100+ hours campaign. I guess sales and GOTY status will prove that it was right strategy. Why it is Dead 3 again? Aren't there any other gods/powers in Faerun? Again Bhaalspawn, how unique. In the end I should blame only myself.

Last edited by sezz; 11/10/23 06:30 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fylimar
Quinn wouldmaybe be another example from SWTOR.

Ah, Quinn. One of my guilty pleasures. astarionhappy

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by iloverainbow
Tbh when they announced that there will be some characters that are open to being in a poly relationship, I would never have imagined that Halsin will be one of them. Did he imply anything of sorts in the EA? It could also be we didn't know much about him in EA as well so I don't know.
He didn’t say anything about relationships in EA that I remember. He was a serious guy in EA, though, and didn’t seem like the type to only like casual sex and hate relationships! Usually if there is a character like that, the character is flirting with everyone.

Exactly. I remember he was serious and I would say very mature in the EA. So it kinda threw me off when I found out he can't be in a committed and supportive relationship (poly or non-poly).

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
Tbh when they announced that there will be some characters that are open to being in a poly relationship, I would never have imagined that Halsin will be one of them. Did he imply anything of sorts in the EA? It could also be we didn't know much about him in EA as well so I don't know.

This is where I think there was severe false advertising for Halsins character. When the bear/Astarion scene articles were making their way around I diddnt think much of it or look into it really because I diddnt care that much. Oh you can bang more than one person if you wanted? Cool.

Open to being poly is different than what we got. If Halsin was just open to poly it wouldnt hurt so much. But strictly being a promiscuous poly borderline predator who is not commital inspite of what he himself implies in acts 1 and 2 seems to have become his entire act 3 character it seems and THATS the problem.

It's like something hit his head HARD in end of Act 2 or beginning of Act 3 and he became this totally different person who is manipulative and selfish

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It's like something hit his head HARD in end of Act 2 or beginning of Act 3 and he became this totally different person who is manipulative and selfish

Im convinced Orin got to him and gave us a dopple. Its the only explanation.

veteran
veteran
Or maybe it's his visit to the Shadowfell that corrupts him?

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I am writing this. Will post when done!

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Or maybe it's his visit to the Shadowfell that corrupts him?
Or he was bitten by a rabid squirrel. And now he's like in zombie movies, trying to spread a virus to take over the whole of Faerun. smile

I was wandering in Shadowheart's topic, wanted to read what people write there. Well, I see people there are also very vocal about our druid and his illogical acts towards SH (and Astarion) in Act 3. It gives me more hope: the more people express their criticism the more chances we have to be at least noticed by the team of developers. I'm not an expert in computer games but to me this is the first time when one in-game character almost ruins other characters and people's experience. This is a pretty important issue, imo.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It really makes me wonder why they went the route they did. All of it went through approvals and quality control.

Of all the things they could have done, why do this? Its baffling.

Someone somewhere looked at all of this and said "Yes this is good" like how???

Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
It really makes me wonder why they went the route they did. All of it went through approvals and quality control.

Of all the things they could have done, why do this? Its baffling.

Someone somewhere looked at all of this and said "Yes this is good" like how???
Maybe they had an idea to make some fan service in game from the very beginning. And since Halsin was the last to be added as companion, it was decided to make him a scapegoat since it was impossible to change other characters (or, maybe, devs just didn't want to change them, I don't know).
Only devs know the truth. =/

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Noelle666
I was wandering in Shadowheart's topic, wanted to read what people write there. Well, I see people there are also very vocal about our druid and his illogical acts towards SH (and Astarion) in Act 3. It gives me more hope: the more people express their criticism the more chances we have to be at least noticed by the team of developers. I'm not an expert in computer games but to me this is the first time when one in-game character almost ruins other characters and people's experience. This is a pretty important issue, imo.

Yes, Halsin pretty much became an issue for mainly SH fandom. There are new posts on reddit regarding Halsin nearly every day. For some reason writer though that adding flirting between SH and Halsin, while SH is exclusively romanced is a good idea.

E
E
I'm still holding onto hope that this issue with Halsin and SH is a bug. As in something not triggering right. Because could they really have meant for Halsin to move on to flirt with Tav's girlfriend when Tav rejects his proposal to become a lover? I can't imagine that's what they intended here. Everything makes sense if Tav takes Halsin as a lover (and hence open the door for SH to start fantasizing about him), but if he's rejected? No. I just can't see how they meant for that. Perhaps they never thought anyone would reject Halsin in the first place?

Last edited by EMar; 11/10/23 08:08 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yep, even lesbians are just down for that bear man I guess lmao That would not be a good look for Larian, so yeah something isn't adding up...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by EMar
Because could they really have meant for Halsin to move on to flirt with Tav's girlfriend when Tav rejects his proposal to become a lover? I can't imagine that's what they intended here.

I can imagine it. From one perspective, it sort of makes sense, but only in the world of video games where our discussion options are limited to what the devs give us. In real life, presumably there would've been a conversation with SH along the lines of "Is our relationship going to be strictly monogamous? Poly? Open to flings?" etc., setting up boundaries. The game, instead, just throws a series of optional encounters your way and your reactions to them - plus SH's follow-up reactions - only sort of fuzzily outline where the boundaries are at the moment.

If you've (for example) decided your character is the strictly monogamous type and would object to SH having a fling, there's currently no way to make the game "know" this, so there's no way for SH to know it - or Halsin to know it. He flirted with you, got turned down. But that doesn't mean Shadowheart turned him down, and in certain kinds of relationships, it'd be perfectly possible to start something up with her, something not involving you. Are you in one of those kinds of relationships? SH has no idea, there's no way to "tell" her. Halsin also has no idea, there's no way to "tell" him. So the game just sort of assumes you are. Thanks game.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Because could they really have meant for Halsin to move on to flirt with Tav's girlfriend when Tav rejects his proposal to become a lover? I can't imagine that's what they intended here.

I can imagine it. From one perspective, it sort of makes sense, but only in the world of video games where our discussion options are limited to what the devs give us. In real life, presumably there would've been a conversation with SH along the lines of "Is our relationship going to be strictly monogamous? Poly? Open to flings?" etc., setting up boundaries. The game, instead, just throws a series of optional encounters your way and your reactions to them - plus SH's follow-up reactions - only sort of fuzzily outline where the boundaries are at the moment.

If you've (for example) decided your character is the strictly monogamous type and would object to SH having a fling, there's currently no way to make the game "know" this, so there's no way for SH to know it - or Halsin to know it. He flirted with you, got turned down. But that doesn't mean Shadowheart turned him down, and in certain kinds of relationships, it'd be perfectly possible to start something up with her, something not involving you. Are you in one of those kinds of relationships? SH has no idea, there's no way to "tell" her. Halsin also has no idea, there's no way to "tell" him. So the game just sort of assumes you are. Thanks game.
wtf how is that an acceptable assumption to be made? Most people are not poly if you see a couple in a committed relationship it is not acceptable to start hitting on somebody's significant other especially when you've rejected them prior. I hate when people try to justify Halsin's behavior with Shadowheart. If he was wanted in the relationship the player should have to make it known to him before he starts trying to hit on Shadowheart.

old hand
old hand
The game's default assumptions not jiving with many players' default assumptions is a topic that has come up more than once in these parts...

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P

But in all these situations the intentions from Halsin do involve Tav as well. He is not just hitting on Shadowheart, he clearly outlines that it involves Tav as well. And the game certainly knows that Tav is not interested when they reject him, just like the game knows that Tav is not interested after they reject Astarion, Wyll, Karlach or Gale, and none of them ever disrespect Tav's boundaries by pushing the matter (the character who is written to be a manipulative and pathological liar shows more consideration and respect for consent than the noble and wise archdruid!). With Halsin it gets super pushy and uncomfortable, even if you leave jealousy, cheating or other feelings about Shadowheart or Astarion out of it.
Edit: Like my character can't be a heterosexual male or lesbian female, because the game has already assumed that they are attracted to Halsin for me.

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 12/10/23 05:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja

But in all these situations the intentions from Halsin do involve Tav as well. He is not just hitting on Shadowheart, he clearly outlines that it involves Tav as well. And the game certainly knows that Tav is not interested when they reject him, just like the game knows that Tav is not interested after they reject Astarion, Wyll, Karlach or Gale, and none of them ever disrespect Tav's boundaries by pushing the matter (the character who is written to be a manipulative and pathological liar shows more consideration and respect for consent than the noble and wise archdruid!). With Halsin it gets super pushy and uncomfortable, even if you leave jealousy, cheating or other feelings about Shadowheart or Astarion out of it.
Edit: Like my character can't be a heterosexual male or lesbian female, because the game has already assumed that they are attracted to Halsin for me.
I agree, this is more than unhealthy. He sees two women together, not only does he asks one of the women ( my character) , if she wants to do the deed with him, but after a No, he goes on and asks her girlfriend, if he can join in in our relationship. That is outright toxic, homophobic and close to rapist behaviour. It is highly problematic.
I am not a Halsin fan, so I just ignore him, get him abducted and 'fail' the persuasion role, problem solved. I just wish to could decline him joining you, like every other companion, but no, the sex offender is forced on us.
But for the people, who actually wanted him as a companion, a complete rewrite would be necessary to even make him work ( and no,I'm not talking about the poly thing, before that one person comes barging in again, but his general behaviour).
I mean, he occupies a rare companion spot, doubles down on a class and a race, we already have, instead of giving us something unique, the least, they could have done, would be to make him likeable enough, so we actually might want him in the party. I mean look at Jaheira, look at Halsin. Who will realistically in your party as the druid in Halsins current state?

Last edited by fylimar; 12/10/23 05:46 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 52 of 93 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard