Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 54 of 93 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 92 93
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I wrote some feedback on discord. While it starts about SH, then there's a tangent about lesbian stuff, but eventually it gets around to polyamory lol

https://discord.com/channels/98922182746329088/1161797743740727349

I also really liked Cowoline's post. It was very informative. I've been very confused as to why Halsin has been considered polyamorous, when that's not what you get in game. Surely Larian should have had experts on polyamory working with them on this? Anyway, shoot Cowoline an upvote if you agree.

https://discord.com/channels/98922182746329088/1161753690676408420

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by fylimar
I agree, this is more than unhealthy. He sees two women together, not only does he asks one of the women ( my character) , if she wants to do the deed with him, but after a No, he goes on and asks her girlfriend, if he can join in in our relationship. That is outright toxic, homophobic and close to rapist behaviour. It is highly problematic.

Like I said, you're assuming a particular relationship exists between your character and SH and the game is assuming another one. In your headcanon, SH should be over there rejecting Halsin, refusing to consider his advances at all, even if she's attracted to him, because she knows your character wouldn't be up for an open/poly arrangement. But she doesn't. The game is assuming something else. I'm not saying it shouldn't be changed, I'm just speculating about the "What were they thinking?!" question above.
No, I'm assuming Halsin is a degenerate asshole and a toxic person, a classic 'nice guy' for not accepting No from a woman. He asked MY character and I said No and then he asked my characters girlfriend if he could have sex with us both - as in her and me-, after I said No. This is rapist behaviour and it is, as I said, homophobic. It sounds like he thinks ' I can fix her'. I'm talking about my character here, who basically told him to fuck off.
I'm assuming nothing, I know bad writing, when I see it and Halsin is a desaster and a toxic one. In this case, it is about me and how I feel about that as a woman and a lesbian.
Have I made myself clear enough?

Last edited by fylimar; 12/10/23 02:30 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Netav
Originally Posted by Noelle666
Like I said, you're assuming a particular relationship exists between your character and SH and the game is assuming another one. In your headcanon, SH should be over there rejecting Halsin, refusing to consider his advances at all, even if she's attracted to him, because she knows your character wouldn't be up for an open/poly arrangement. But she doesn't. The game is assuming something else. I'm not saying it shouldn't be changed, I'm just speculating about the "What were they thinking?!" question above.
It feels like in this case there should be some extra triggers added into code of the game and some extra dialogues which make those triggers work.
- Would you like to have poly relationships with SH and Halsin? Yes/No
- Would you like SH to have relationships with Halsin? (extra dialogue is needed) Yes/No
We have a term in Russian for some game mechanics - "a crutch", which means something like "not the best option to solve a problem (or an option which doesn't solve it at all), but it works", so my offers would work as such crutch, but, well, nothing stops us from thinking about solutions.
The thing is she never acts or does anything. Its almost if she treats Halsin no more than a casual sex thing for a player(or both).
The fact that Halsin hits on SH is annoying, yes. But the main issue that he also hits on your character and that is what makes him "creepy"(Assuming you've declined his offer before).
Extra flag should be to play this banter is if your character is actually in romance with Halsin and SH and thats it, this way it makes sense.
This, so much. Thank you. I was beginning to think, I'm speaking Klingon here. My problem has nothing to do with Shadowheart, but with Halsin ignoring my No and trying to take my agency away.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Backinstyle
I wrote some feedback on discord. While it starts about SH, then there's a tangent about lesbian stuff, but eventually it gets around to polyamory lol

I also really liked Cowoline's post. It was very informative. I've been very confused as to why Halsin has been considered polyamorous, when that's not what you get in game. Surely Larian should have had experts on polyamory working with them on this? Anyway, shoot Cowoline an upvote if you agree.

I backed you both up on Discord with upvotes.
I mean,yes, I sound a bit mad, but basically, I'll just ignore Halsin at all, let him get abducted and 'fail' the persuasion check.
I generally love the writing in the game and how even smaller NPCs like Barcus have a lot of character, but I agree about the author of Halsin should stop inserting is fetishes. I mean, I do like Shadowheart and many others do too,so he can write good characters, but I don't know, what went wrong with Halsin. That character is a bad joke.

Doctor Who
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
No, I'm assuming Halsin is a degenerate asshole and a toxic person, a classic 'nice guy' for not accepting No from a woman. He asked MY character and I said No and then he asked my characters girlfriend if he could have sex with us both - as in her and me-, after I said No. This is rapist behaviour and it is, as I said, homophobic. It sounds like he thinks ' I can fix her'. I'm talking about my character here, who basically told him to fuck off.
I'm assuming nothing, I know bad writing, when I see it and Halsin is a desaster and a toxic one. In this case, it is about me and how I feel about that as a woman and a lesbian.
Have I made myself clear enough?

This! Whether the game or writing does this accidentally or not is irrelevant. It's disgusting behaviour that mirrors real life rape culture and homophobia, which a lot of us don't want to be randomly exposed to, and especially not from someone who just invites themselves to hang around and harass us.

Being left to rot in the Shadowfell is a very appropriate fate for such a person.

E
E

I backed you both up on Discord with upvotes.

Tried to upvote too, but I can't? Like, there's no thumbs up-thingy anymore for me? Am I doing something wrong?

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Theres should be small green box with a white checkmark.

Also: You got my upvotes, I really appreciate good feedback posts. I try to make some myself from time to time (Discord nick is Fritti).

Last edited by JeyFrey; 12/10/23 02:58 PM.
E
E
Found it. Don't know why it didn't work the first time. Had to go through the links here for it to show.
Although, all the newest posts on Discord doesn't have the checkmark at all? Did they remove the ability to show approval for feedback? Don't want to know how many we are who actually agree with Halsin and SH feedback perhaps?

Last edited by EMar; 12/10/23 03:01 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
It's a bug that happens with the updoot bot sometimes.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by JeyFrey
Guess its time for me to also dip my feet into the cold water of this thread.

First of all: possible trigger warning.

Just to clarify that: I have never romanced Halsin, I liked him as a buddy in EA and I really hoped for a nice adult friendship with the release (or lets call it bromance). My fiancee and I are playing BG3 together (sitting next to each other) so I was totally able to see all he has to offer in terms of romance.
While it started out pretty fine and I felt like he became what I was hoping for (and with that also what a lot of people were wishing for), listening to his voicelines after we liberated the Shadowlands was a huge disappointment.

I don't know how else to phrase it beside: It felt like my Tav lost a potential really good friend. We seemed to be sharing so many values (he is well-spoken, caring, friendly, grown-up) just to lose all of that. Suddenly, he lost so many personality traits I liked him for. Its not about him being open for just lot of sex or anything, its more that he showed a side of himself that he hid well before. It almost felt like a betrayal.

As you know, things got even worse with all the additional creepy sex offers (that he never was invited to). His whole Drow "misadventures" got me to a point where I really started to hate what had become of him. I started to hate Larian (or Halsins writer to be precise) to show such a lack of empathy. Fortunately, I never experienced any kind of SA, but I know people who went through different phases and stages of being exposed to toxic and abusive behaviour - be it being beaten by alcoholics, being forced to move to another city every few months or years because a parent had a new relationship or being beaten a lot just so the victim could be blamed for his sisters' faults.

While some of them had a really hard time making it through life and/or therapy, I only once experienced someone claiming it had it positive sides ("If they beat me, at least they dont beat my sisters") and that was pretty much while the abuse was still happening.

Sadly, I know that there are lots of victims out there, who either blame themselves for being the guilty one (like "If someone abused me, maybe I did something wrong and deserved it") or trying to find the positive things in it (I just read a story about a woman who never found joy in the toxic relationship she had, but even tho it was more SA than mutual sex, she was at least thankful for his attention - and that made me feel so bad and lead to even more hate for the way Larian handles this topic). It feels like Halsin is still in this stage of defense, of sheltering his mind and heart from what he went through and trying to convince himself (more than anyone else) that what he had to go through wasn't "that bad".

If we try to apply Erikson's stages of psychosocial development on Halsin (using a formula x = 0.2987y² and transposing it - x = elf-age and y = human years, so that he had been around 29 years old 100 years ago), we could even go further deeper down the rabbit hole.
Erikson calls the phase between 20 - 44 years the "Early adulthood", "Intimacy vs. Isolation". The main value in this phase is love, being present in the form of friends, family and love interests. It is within this stage, that we seek to find someone special for us to settle down for the rest of our life.
The main question in this phase is "Can I unite myself with another person?"
Now let us transfer this knowledge over to Halsin, who most likely spend the 3 years as a slave within the "Intimacy vs. Isolation" phase. It was within this time, that he learned that trusting others leads to being hurt, being abused and living a life with constant fear. This lead to his isolation within his own heart. He had to cut the connection between his heart and his body, isolating himself. All of that led to Halsin still being stuck within this phase or even somewhat developing backwards, more towards the phase before, where sex has a way more important role.
Erikson says about the "Intimacy vs. Isolation" phase: "[...]there is more to intimacy than sexual gratification." and this is exactly what Halsin never learned.

Sorry for the wall of text, I used my work break to write this quickly, hence the lack of formatting and maybe some typos or bad syntax.
Also, I am by no means a psychologist or something like that, just interested in that kind of stuff and I know people working in some fields where knowledge like that is needed.

This is so important to the discussion. How the writing handles trauma and abuse is such a big issue. The situation with Astarion, where Halsin basically puts his own sexual desires over another person's mental well being, causing them to have a mental breakdown, and then proceeds to gloat about how it refreshes his fond memories of SA in the Underdark, is some of the most toxic and disturbing handling of SA I've come across.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I suppose the answer to this one is two fold:

1. Halsin is asking about a threesome specifically and not something related to Shadowheart - Can you imagine if someone you knew just randomly came up to you, while you were walking around town and as loud as you please said "So! I think you two a pretty hot - especially with you all wet and naked - how about a threesome." And this person has already tried getting into the pants of the person they're not addressing. That's some first rate stalker behaviour.,

2. Shadowheart has at this point said that they ONLY want Tav, and has given zero indication of anything otherwise - let's assume that the comments didn't also implicate Tav, that's the first step towards adultery.

There is just no way that this would ever be acceptable in a commited relationship - poly or no. When a person has said "no" that no counts, and if Shadowheart knows or not, is not of consequence regarding Halsin, who should honestly be slapped back to the grove and sit in a pen next to Kagha.

Also, when even the VA's found the dialogue troublesome, while recording it - the people who probably know the characters best alongside the writer - then something is messed up.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Great addition! Thank you <3

apprentice
apprentice
I hope you haven't forgotten you can submit feedback here too: https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3#modal

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Netav
Originally Posted by Noelle666
It feels like in this case there should be some extra triggers added into code of the game and some extra dialogues which make those triggers work.
- Would you like to have poly relationships with SH and Halsin? Yes/No
- Would you like SH to have relationships with Halsin? (extra dialogue is needed) Yes/No
We have a term in Russian for some game mechanics - "a crutch", which means something like "not the best option to solve a problem (or an option which doesn't solve it at all), but it works", so my offers would work as such crutch, but, well, nothing stops us from thinking about solutions.
The thing is she never acts or does anything. Its almost if she treats Halsin no more than a casual sex thing for a player(or both).
The fact that Halsin hits on SH is annoying, yes. But the main issue that he also hits on your character and that is what makes him "creepy"(Assuming you've declined his offer before).
Extra flag should be to play this banter is if your character is actually in romance with Halsin and SH and thats it, this way it makes sense.
This, so much. Thank you. I was beginning to think, I'm speaking Klingon here. My problem has nothing to do with Shadowheart, but with Halsin ignoring my No and trying to take my agency away.
To be honest, if he hit only on SH and she responded the way she did, I wouldve been way more mad. This way I can at least "take a shot" myself for her.

Thanks for the links! Voted for both.

With my second character, I am avoiding any line with Halsin which can start his romance. I hope it works. But after tiefling party I still got the line about "I hope I wasn too pushy" or whatever, (also didn't talk about it with him) when I said literally nothing to him, only told him to mingle a little, which is not a flirty line.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Thank you so much!

And yes, I have been mocked for this, but the way poly (and I use the term lightly) works right now, there is no option for people only attracted to women.

Why the Hell isn't it possible to have Karlach and Shadowheart? Move the poly conversation from act 2 to act 3 and don't just make it about Halsin, and then run the romances as normal.

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Cowoline
Thank you so much!

And yes, I have been mocked for this, but the way poly (and I use the term lightly) works right now, there is no option for people only attracted to women.

Why the Hell isn't it possible to have Karlach and Shadowheart? Move the poly conversation from act 2 to act 3 and don't just make it about Halsin, and then run the romances as normal.
The way it is right now(And there is too much evidence for this, you can check it in SH thread) SH acts as mono character, she denies any proposal about poly and wants Tav all for herself.
Tav/Karlach/SH for example(remember that SH flirts with Karlach and finds her attractive at least)
Shadowheart: I can't help but notice you seem happier of late. There's a spring in your step that wasn't there before. Just a pity I'm not responsible for it.
Tav: I'm not a swan - I don't mate for life. I want to be with you and Karlach.
Shadowheart: I admire your ambition - and your belief in your own stamina - but Karlach deserves you to herself. And perhaps there's someone out there for me...
Shadowheart: There's no hard feelings - genuinely. You deserve happiness, and I'm more than glad to remain with you to bear witness to it.
If Tav choses SH over Karlach:
Shadowheart: I can't help but notice you seem happier of late. There's a spring in your step that wasn't there before. Just a pity I'm not responsible for it.
Tav: I didn't realise you felt that way about me.
Shadowheart: Sometimes it can be difficult to know what you want - what you need - until it's already lost to you. I know that from experience.
Shadowheart: I won't lie. I won't pretend that part of me isn't hoping you'll look in my eye and still feel something.
Shadowheart: Foolish, I know. But allow me to wallow in the fantasy a moment, bittersweet as it is.
Tav: Wait. This is wrong. You're the one I'm supposed to be with. I see that now.
Shadowheart: But what about Karlach? You'd break her heart just to be with me?
Tav: Consider it done.
Shadowheart: I won't lie... I feel a little sorry for her. But only a little bit.
Shadowheart: You may be what's been missing from my life.
So its almost like SH sees Halsin as just a source of "casual sex" without relationship. I have no other explanation for this given her behaviour throughout the game tbh.

Last edited by Netav; 12/10/23 05:19 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Cowoline
Thank you so much!

It is a good idea, but after Haslin I doubt it will be implemented well.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Which is also how Astarion and Karlach seem to see it. And with Halsin's "no attachment" then he is definitely just added as a fling.

People wanted a romance, and not a fling. And giving it the poly label the way it is now, is frankly just insulting.

And lastly: it doesn't fit Halsin's personality at all.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Sadly, I believe you're right. I am expecting minor tweaks at most.

Mostly I just want to make it obvious why Halsin doesn't count as polygamy.

Halsin is Zevran in Dragon Age II if you romance Izabella.

Page 54 of 93 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard