Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 86 of 157 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 156 157
apprentice
apprentice
I've been focusing on Astarion, Karlach and Minthara the most in my walkthroughs. Well shit... that's where the "sad journal" really is. Well and Minsk and Jaheira, but they appear only in the third act, so they don't have much content, and even less if you play not as Dark Urge. But I'm also familiar with the quests of all the other Origin characters. And yeah I've got them all running through my head right now, and Karlach's quest looks like "Bring it, give it, go f*ck yourself".

The one character I'm not familiar with at all is Halsin, because of Minthara. I always kill him and only know that he can help in act 2 with restoring the land from the curse. (although why can't the Moon Maiden's Blade and Isobel do that?).

Originally Posted by RingRong
Karlach's death or Karlach's death.

Well it's more like "Karlach's death or forcing Karlach back into her place of trauma which she adamantly didn't want to go back to", to most of us it just feels approximately equally bad (as in, unsatisfactory and/or unhappy, not as in badly executed, no) to the point some people even stop playing since they don't get a better option in the end. (I am not above being selfish and I did convince her to return, but would sure love to do something more substantial instead.)

Choosing between her or Wyll in some way would've been a strong option, especially considering how willing they both would to die for one another (what with Karlach not believing she'll live anyway and with Wyll chronically putting himself before others). Not sure it could or would be logically implemented at the point their stories are currently developed to, but the idea is interesting. (Considering that Wyll was done even dirtier in terms of content amount and Karlach seems to be more popular among fans, though, that's just setting the poor guy up).

Now, a pact I believe has been brought up as an option multiple times in this thread, with Mizora or with Raphael. Granted, the House of Hope quest proved it's kinda easy-ish to just steal your contract and kill the devil you made it with (unless they made sure to contractually sign your soul off to Hell in case of their death), but at the very least that would be a whole thing and would definitely count as "trying" laugh

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
But I'm also familiar with the quests of all the other Origin characters. And yeah I've got them all running through my head right now, and Karlach's quest looks like "Bring it, give it, go f*ck yourself".

I know, right? :")

Yeah I hear Minthara is a whole other case of quest mess right now, and I see lots of people annoyed with that too. I also hear her romance is still partially bugged despite patches and hotfixes supposedly fixing it, that truly sucks.

Halsin also doesn't have much, but at least for them there's an excuse of not being Origin characters (same for Minsc and Jaheira). Karlach is an Origin character and she isn't even on the promo art (she's not even on the collector's edition box! And that one has Halsin instead!) and her quest is also, well, yes, bring two things, kill one guy you were supposed to kill anyway (unless you decide otherwise) and there's no special cutscene for that (apart from the gorgeous monologue after the fact, that one is great) or you can forget to bring her there altogether.

And then there's a bunch of that same material lootable all over Act 3? And for what? Like, it just feels like something is supposed to happen or be done and it never does.

Last edited by tarraxahum; 13/10/23 02:26 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
Now I can fully understand your indignation, especially since I am a member of a similar camp, and experience similar emotions and feelings with the occasional desire to put the game on hold and wait for patches. (Specifically, I want Minthara fixed and more content made for it, it's very sad to see it in its current form).

Yes precisely because Wyll and Karlach are willing to die for each other, it seems to me that something related to him would be logical, it is not necessary to kill him, but it is possible to link him with some very serious pact like Bhaal spawn.

And about the House of Hope and stealing the pact, if the pact is made with Mizora or Zariel, I don't think it can be broken or stolen so easily, because Raphael and Zariel have different levels of power.

Though considering how easily Dark Urge and Gortash stole the Crown from Mephistopheles, then....

Last edited by RingRong; 13/10/23 02:29 PM.
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
Karlach is an Origin character and she isn't even on the promo art (she's not even on the collector's edition box! And that one has Halsin instead!)

Wait a minute....... she's not on collector's edition but Halsin is? Oook. Not to dismiss Halsin's importance but the fact they used him instead of Karlach who's an origin character is such an odd decision.

And I'll admit, Karlach still not being added in the promo pic (we all know which pic) bothers me a lot. Lmao.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by WildOrchid
Karlach is an Origin character and she isn't even on the promo art (she's not even on the collector's edition box! And that one has Halsin instead!)

Wait a minute....... she's not on collector's edition but Halsin is? Oook. Not to dismiss Halsin's importance but the fact they used him instead of Karlach who's an origin character is such an odd decision.

And I'll admit, Karlach still not being added in the promo pic (we all know which pic) bothers me a lot. Lmao.

The only explanation i can think of is that they didn't expect Karlach to get as popular as she did AND that she was a late addition, otherwise it really doesn't make any sense.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
I've now gone through BG3 for the second time, and this time I had Karlach in my party and saw her ending. And man, it's such a great ending for such a great character, very dissonant with the character himself. But people on the forums are whining and asking for it to be redone because you see it's too sad and violent. People seriously what's wrong with you this dramatic ending (in my case with her death in the finale) perfectly suits this character, yes sad, but so and so should be, that's what the developers wanted to achieve, that was their idea. Such a cheerful and positive character with such a tragic ending, it's great, a very strong emotional moment with her death, which works just as well in many ways thanks to the fact that fate is an evil bitch and unjust to such good people (just like in real world, right?), it can not always end well and everyone will live happily ever after, it's just not interesting and boring. Considering BG3 was originally supposed to be much darker, this storyline fits it perfectly. But no you want to ruin all the hard work of the writers by demanding a happy ending for her, seriously? I understand if it was buggy or unfinished, but no there's nothing wrong with it, so why change anything?

Firstly, I appreciate your insights on Karlach's ending in BG3, it resonates a lot with the split perspective I share on the character. Your perspective is entirely valid; the dissonant and tragic climax to her character arc does indeed accentuate the unpredictability and, often, the harshness of fate – both in the game's universe and, as you pointed out, in the real world. That said, while understanding and respecting the narrative choices of the developers, I think the consensus of this thread is to advocate for an additional ending option.

One of the key features of role-playing games like BG3 is the variety of narrative paths available to players. While the tragic ending serves as a poignant reminder of life's unpredictability, offering an alternate, more hopeful conclusion doesn’t negate that point. Instead, it broadens the scope of experiences available to players. It allows for a wider spectrum of emotional engagement, ensuring players who want a break from the often grim real world have a chance to see their favorite character find some semblance of happiness.

Throughout the storyline, Karlach constantly battles her impending doom, holding onto hope even in the bleakest of situations. While the bittersweet and tragic endings are artistically and narratively strong, offering an ending where her enduring hope pays off can serve as a testament to her resilience and the broader theme of hope's power.

Many players become deeply attached to in-game characters. While tragic endings can be deeply moving and memorable, they can also leave a lasting sense of sorrow. By offering an alternate ending, players are given the choice to decide Karlach's fate based on their own emotional journey and relationship with the character.

Advocating for an additional ending doesn’t necessarily mean discarding the original one. Both can exist in parallel, preserving the originally intended narrative while providing an option for those seeking something different. This approach ensures the hard work of the writers isn't "ruined" or diminished but rather expanded upon.

In conclusion, while I completely understand where you're coming from and respect the strength of the narrative crafted by the developers, I believe there's room for multiple endings that cater to diverse player experiences. After all, a story’s strength lies not just in its conclusion, but in the journey and the choices that lead there.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I would disagree with the idea karlachs current story is welldone or satisfying. For many of the reasons tarrax has alrdy laid out. But if you enjoy it then thats ok aswell. But the whining* as you call it is just straight up valid critque from a story aspect aswell as the glsring issues of being forced into her ending with no way to adjust course in a way that feels fullfilling to the player. I mean its 2 fetch quests. That ultimateky doesnt matter if you pay attention to them or not.

And please if you enjoy that ending thats fine. But larian listening to feedback and givibg us an option to SAVE her does not in anyway take away from the tragic endings she alrdy has...if thats something some ppl enjoy then just keep doing that playthrough. But for many ppl here we want an OPTION to save her andhave her stay. For reasons alrdy peppered through out this thread smile

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah I hear Minthara is a whole other case of quest mess right now, and I see lots of people annoyed with that too. I also hear her romance is still partially bugged despite patches and hotfixes supposedly fixing it, that truly sucks.
Oooh that's one big pain. Romance is non-existent and what is there is heavily bugged.

(she's not even on the collector's edition box! And that one has Halsin instead!)
Ahahahahahahaha Really? WTF?

And actually I have my own little story also related to posters and characters on them. After playing as Dark Urge on the evil path with Minthara, I was very upset that Minthara is not on the posters (it's understandable), but Dark Urge? Especially considering how much he means to the plot of the game, he's not? Really? And on Larian's site you can find a render of Dark Urge, who uses the same light and colors as the rest of the characters on the poster on the game's styme page, so he was supposed to be there, but he was removed or just at the last moment when everything was ready they didn't add him. I was very upset, and I decided to make my own poster (with blackjack and whores) took the render of Dark Urge from the site and for lack of render Minthara I found a 3D model and made the necessary renders for me, now I'm working on the back of the poster, made a bunch of screenshots of the temple of Bhaal and its surroundings to then how to use this material. That's about it.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Halsin is there because, for some reason, there are people out there who really like their bears.

R
Rae Offline
R
I completely agree that actual endings are very emotional. But as we all said 1000 times before, the possibility to save her especially with all clues in act 3 should be possible for sure. If you romance her or at least care about her and complete her quest, you should be able to save her and stay in Faerun (this is what isn't possible). If you don't complete her quest (which is now marked as completed, but it is not true), you or Wyll or all three can go to Avernus, or you can let her die in peace. And if you don't care at all, you can let her die alone without noticing.

So what we all here are missing is the not implemented (removed) possibility to fix her engine.

apprentice
apprentice
Firstly, I appreciate your insights on Karlach's ending in BG3, it resonates a lot with the split perspective I share on the character. Your perspective is entirely valid; the dissonant and tragic climax to her character arc does indeed accentuate the unpredictability and, often, the harshness of fate – both in the game's universe and, as you pointed out, in the real world. That said, while understanding and respecting the narrative choices of the developers, I think the consensus of this thread is to advocate for an additional ending option.

One of the key features of role-playing games like BG3 is the variety of narrative paths available to players. While the tragic ending serves as a poignant reminder of life's unpredictability, offering an alternate, more hopeful conclusion doesn’t negate that point. Instead, it broadens the scope of experiences available to players. It allows for a wider spectrum of emotional engagement, ensuring players who want a break from the often grim real world have a chance to see their favorite character find some semblance of happiness.

Throughout the storyline, Karlach constantly battles her impending doom, holding onto hope even in the bleakest of situations. While the bittersweet and tragic endings are artistically and narratively strong, offering an ending where her enduring hope pays off can serve as a testament to her resilience and the broader theme of hope's power.

Many players become deeply attached to in-game characters. While tragic endings can be deeply moving and memorable, they can also leave a lasting sense of sorrow. By offering an alternate ending, players are given the choice to decide Karlach's fate based on their own emotional journey and relationship with the character.

Advocating for an additional ending doesn’t necessarily mean discarding the original one. Both can exist in parallel, preserving the originally intended narrative while providing an option for those seeking something different. This approach ensures the hard work of the writers isn't "ruined" or diminished but rather expanded upon.

In conclusion, while I completely understand where you're coming from and respect the strength of the narrative crafted by the developers, I believe there's room for multiple endings that cater to diverse player experiences. After all, a story’s strength lies not just in its conclusion, but in the journey and the choices that lead there.
Yes, I agree with you completely, and that the more diverse choices the better, and with the fact that sometimes you just want to take a break from this dark world and just immerse yourself in this magical world and take a break from everything that surrounds you in reality. And about how people can get very attached to game characters and want the best for them, yeah, I got very attached to Minthara myself.

But I guess, I don't know, over the many games I've played, I've gotten tired of good stories with happy endings. And that's why I'm immensely grateful to BG3 for the experience and the feeling that it was able to give me thanks to the evil walkthrough, although it's not perfect, but it's just incredible and feels like a breath of fresh air, when the game doesn't force you to go the way of the good guy, but allows you to go the way of the villain and even argues some advantages, wow. just wow. That's rare.

There's another thing. I don't know why, but the plot of Karlach reminded me of The Last Of Us 2, maybe because of Karlach's monologue after killing Gortash, and despite the fact that I don't like the plot of TLOU2, I really liked the plot of Karlach, maybe they are really similar just Larian unlike the developers of TLOU wrote it much softer(? I'm not sure, I can't find the words) and neater compared to the same plot of TLOU where they shove scenes with head smashing with a club in our faces in the beginning, and that's why personally I was able to accept and understand the plot of Karlach as it is, while the plot of TLOU is not. Maybe TLOU developers should learn from Larian how to make such plots. I don't know where I got that idea from, maybe I'm overthinking it, maybe it's pulling an owl over a globe

Last edited by RingRong; 13/10/23 03:18 PM.
Originally Posted by Rae
And if you don't care at all, you can let her die alone without noticing.

I would argue that letting her die Not Alone is a thing that should definitely stay as an equal alternative to Avernus regardless of better endings added (assuming any).

It's been very clear, looking at people's opinions, that for some staying with her as she dies felt like a better and more loving option that pushing her back to Avernus. It's a personal thing changing from person to person, yes, but it's definitely not only a "if you don't care" option. Some people care in such a way that makes Avernus a no-go for them, but making sure she dies loved feels cathartic and right.

but the plot of Karlach reminded me of The Last Of Us 2

As in, the whole "accepting death/injustice instead of spinning the circle of abuse further" and "revenge changes nothing" thing? I suppose I can see that.

...however I am personally a sucker for maybe pointless and potentially self-sabotaging revenge stories and committing questionable moral choices because your character is chronically unable to let go (see Ellie and prior to that Abby in TLOU2's case), so if I had an opportunity my Tav would absolutely go rampaging in Avernus or whatever. Especially in case of romances, love me a dangerous devotion trope. (Not TLOU-applicable, but once again, Life is Strange comes to mind pretty often. I said I'll save her and I'm saving her, iykyk)

Now you know who wouldn't like any of those things done for her, that's right, Karlach herself.

...that would be a cruel irony, huh? Here, you can save her - but you personally lose her (as a lover or a friend) in return.

(my Tav wouldn't hesitate though)

R
Rae Offline
R
Originally Posted by Rae
And if you don't care at all, you can let her die alone without noticing.

I would argue that letting her die Not Alone is a thing that should definitely stay as an equal alternative to Avernus regardless of better endings added (assuming any).

It's been very clear, looking at people's opinions, that for some staying with her as she dies felt like a better and more loving option that pushing her back to Avernus. It's a personal thing changing from person to person, yes, but it's definitely not only a "if you don't care" option. Some people care in such a way that makes Avernus a no-go for them, but making sure she dies loved feels cathartic and right.

Yes of course, that was my option B in my post smile "or you can let her die in peace". I think this is maybe the equally good ending as Avernus now (Go to hell with friends, or die surrounded by friends in Faerun). What I meant by "And if you don't care at all, you can let her die alone without noticing. " is the option in actual game, where Karlach dies without noticing.(I think this happens at the end when you don't bring 2 ores to Dammon in act 1 and 2) - and this is definetly the worst ending for her.

...that would be a cruel irony, huh? Here, you can save her - but you personally lose her (as a lover or a friend) in return.

Pls, don't give them ideas. aargh

This goes into 'careful what you wish for' territory and it terrifies me. Lol.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Yes, I agree with you completely, and that the more diverse choices the better, and with the fact that sometimes you just want to take a break from this dark world and just immerse yourself in this magical world and take a break from everything that surrounds you in reality. And about how people can get very attached to game characters and want the best for them, yeah, I got very attached to Minthara myself.

But I guess, I don't know, over the many games I've played, I've gotten tired of good stories with happy endings. And that's why I'm immensely grateful to BG3 for the experience and the feeling that it was able to give me thanks to the evil walkthrough, although it's not perfect, but it's just incredible and feels like a breath of fresh air, when the game doesn't force you to go the way of the good guy, but allows you to go the way of the villain and even argues some advantages, wow. just wow. That's rare.

Do bear in mind that having the OPTION to have either happy or dark ending is a testament to good storytelling, when it comes to game that brags about player choice. If it's a linear game, like The Last of Us, sure, have your dark endings since you cannot affect the story, you just play it out. BG3 is about DnD, and its whole point is that the players carve their story in the setting the DM gave them. Larian themselves have said before that never say no to a choice. That's why it's completely baffling that one companion does not have that, and is pretty much completely railroaded into something the DM wants.

Have the player choose, via in-game actions, whether they want a happier or darker ending, and call whatever they choose canon to their story. Then you can have that catharsis, you can have that triumphant victory. There is literally no downside to this, it's a clear win-win for everyone.

Originally Posted by WildOrchid
Pls, don't give them ideas. aargh

......let it be said that I deny all responsibility if anything remotely like this happens!!! laugh

Originally Posted by Kneecap
and is pretty much completely railroaded into something the DM wants.

Precisely how her entire 'quest' feels like. Grab 2 infernal iron. Go to the villain. Kill villain. 'We did everything we 'could' for her, folks!'

Just... yeah.

R
Rae Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kneecap

Do bear in mind that having the OPTION to have either happy or dark ending is a testament to good storytelling, when it comes to game that brags about player choice. If it's a linear game, like The Last of Us, sure, have your dark endings since you cannot affect the story, you just play it out. BG3 is about DnD, and its whole point is that the players carve their story in the setting the DM gave them. Larian themselves have said before that never say no to a choice. That's why it's completely baffling that one companion does not have that, and is pretty much completely railroaded into something the DM wants.

Have the player choose, via in-game actions, whether they want a happier or darker ending, and call whatever they choose canon to their story. Then you can have that catharsis, you can have that triumphant victory. There is literally no downside to this, it's a clear win-win for everyone.

Exactly, when game has 17000 endings, one good ending for Karlach can be an option for sure. This is not a tragedy linear story with one start and one ending.

Page 86 of 157 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard