Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 91 of 157 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 156 157
Originally Posted by Rae
That's good point, because epilogues were confirmed and all because of feedback. They could literally ignore it, because the game is "done".

And this is not a small feature like the mirror in camp. This needs a much bigger piece of work to be done.

What they could do, realistically, is give us an epilogue where we hear about what Karlach and company have been up to in Avernus, and make it a super hopeful one. And then for DE they can extend her existing questline somewhat (like they did with Beast in Divinity) so that it has more content, but they might not change the original concept or add an engine fix branch.

Originally Posted by Nessius
Just a minor subject change, but I'd like to get your guys thoughts on an epilogue. It's looking increasingly likely that they're gonna do a kind of "6 months later" tavern reunion (of course they still might not but it is something I've seen requested a lot and there's some stuff suggesting it in the files). If this happens, how would you guys feel about it including Karlach (and Tav/Wyll) returning from Avernus having found an offscreen cure for Karlach's engine? I know it still doesn't resolve her questline problem, but it does seem like the easiest thing for them to do without adding any new quests. If they do go the reunion route I can't really think of a reason how they could get there if Karlach's engine wasn't fixed since it's so unstable, unless they decide to just be like "well great to catch up guys now I gotta go back to hell byyyyeeeee". Which I think we all can agree would be kinda lame.

Pretty much this lol.

It might just be the cheapest/most realistic option for them given the resources necessary to get it done. I would accept it, while hoping for some more content for Karlach and Wyll because they need it. Two fetch quests can't be all that an origin character gets, even if you don't wanna change her narrative concept.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 15/10/23 01:34 PM.
Originally Posted by Rotsen
Once those two years have passed Tav comes back to find Karlach married to someone else. devil

I ALSO UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE, now run smile

Although Karlach would know where Tav is and how long that would take, no way in hell (ha) would she do that to them laugh Unless they decide to drop off the face of the earth and go into a coma off-screen, of course...

In all seriousness, I believe the possibility of Tav offering themselves to Zariel in exchange for Karlach has been discussed somewhere in the beginning of this thread, actually! What with them clearly being very strong and all kinds of special, considering all the crap they pulled throughout the game. They might very well be an interesting asset. A good bargaining chip.

And that would one heck of a 'trade-off' for Karlach, too :")

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
Once those two years have passed Tav comes back to find Karlach married to someone else. devil

I ALSO UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE, now run smile

Although Karlach would know where Tav is and how long that would take, no way in hell (ha) would she do that to them laugh Unless they decide to drop off the face of the earth and go into a coma off-screen, of course...

In all seriousness, I believe the possibility of Tav offering themselves to Zariel in exchange for Karlach has been discussed somewhere in the beginning of this thread, actually! What with them clearly being very strong and all kinds of special, considering all the crap they pulled throughout the game. They might very well be an interesting asset. A good bargaining chip.

And that would one heck of a 'trade-off' for Karlach, too :")

Karlach would never agree to that, and if we did it anyway, she would hate us for it. Would it be a price worth paying?

As the deal is struck Karlach is freed but at what cost? Tav is forced to take her place in Avernus after the illithid threat is gone, serving Zariel for two years. Once those two years have passed Tav comes back to find Karlach married to someone else. devil

And now I'm going to slowly leave this thread before Orchid hunts me down and tries to kill me LOL

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're evil, you know that? frown

Knowing Karlach though, she'd probably go back to Avernus to grab Tav and carry their ass out of hell.

how would you guys feel about it including Karlach (and Tav/Wyll) returning from Avernus having found an offscreen cure for Karlach's engine?

As long as it DOESN'T include a "welp, now back to Hells I go" catch in the end and it's an actual cure, eh, I'd be begrudgingly content with that. It wouldn't fix all the problems with her actual quest/lack of content and the frustrating lack of the player's agency, and she still has to go back to the trauma central for a bit, but it would be a clear enough signal that no, they're not going to add in more quest content, but yes, they heard the people and here's a compromise.

Not the stars we're shooting for, but if that's the best we get, I'd say it'd be good. At the very least then you can reach and say that romancing her or becoming good friends/completing Wyll's arc in a 'correct' way/not missing her upgrades amounts to a tangible positive difference (as not doing any of that does not lead you to the Avernus ending), so, uh, sliiightly more weight to player's actions in the game?

Not ideal, but an olive branch obvious enough to make peace with it, I think.

Shoot for the stars but hope to hit the moon, as they say.

Originally Posted by Blook88
@Nessius

following is an example of an epilogue i would be fine with (if larian would uses your suggestion):[snip]

I really like that idea, because it's halfway between an epilogue and a DLC, and it's much cheaper to make while still offering some kind of agency to the player.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 15/10/23 01:45 PM.
Originally Posted by Feris
Genuine question, how exactly? Correct me if I'm wrong, DE for Divinity was free update, right? Assuming BG3 would get the same treatment, free update doesn't bring much profit. Of course, some new players could buy the game, but most money is already earned.

Free for the people who own the game, but a Definitive Edition can entice people who don't own it to buy it.

Originally Posted by Walking Kole
Karlach would never agree to that, and if we did it anyway, she would hate us for it. Would it be a price worth paying?

Tbh I don't think she would hate Tav for exchanging themselves for her. Hurt, pissed, yeah, sure, never ever would she want them to do something like that, but it's not a hate-worthy sentiment. Heartbreak, maybe. She's definitely the type to be like "DID I FUCKING ASK YOU TO SACRIFICE YOURSELF FOR ME".

If it's like a service contract and not a 'sell soul forever' deal (I don't think Karlach's soul is sold to Zariel, it's never mentioned, she's more of a physical slave mixed with a gun for (forced) 'hire'). Selling your soul might elicit stronger emotions, definitely.

But also if the deal with Raphael is any indication, her reaction would be less hate and more "How do I get your stupid ass out of this" (agree with Orchid there).

Now, is it a worthy price if she does 'hate' us - roleplaying question, I guess. My Tav would take her being alive somewhere else and wanting nothing to do with her over her being dead, no hesitation.

Tbh I don't think she would hate Tav for exchanging themselves for her. Hurt, pissed, yeah, sure, never ever would she want them to do something like that, but it's not a hate-worthy sentiment. Heartbreak, maybe. She's definitely the type to be like "DID I FUCKING ASK YOU TO SACRIFICE YOURSELF FOR ME".

If it's like a service contract and not a 'sell soul forever' deal (I don't think Karlach's soul is sold to Zariel, it's never mentioned, she's more of a physical slave mixed with a gun for (forced) 'hire'). Selling your soul might elicit stronger emotions, definitely.

But also if the deal with Raphael is any indication, her reaction would be less hate and more "How do I get your stupid ass out of this" (agree with Orchid there).

Now, is it a worthy price if she does 'hate' us - roleplaying question, I guess. My Tav would take her being alive somewhere else and wanting nothing to do with her over her being dead, no hesitation.

You're not just sacrificing yourself for her. You're selling yourself to Zariel. You're essentially doing to yourself what Gortash did to her. Not only will she be heartbroken that you're now enslaved but she will be doubly hurt by the fact that you've enslaved yourself to the one that enslaved her. Even if it's temporary.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 15/10/23 01:47 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Vegor
@All

This is a genuine question to everyone in the thread here (not a loaded one). Do you feel that Larian cares about our concerns on this matter (or any matter like this)? I just realized going through these threads there doesn't appear to be a lick of acknowledgement from Swen and his team about this stuff.

Made an account specifically to rant on this issue. Karlach is a more likable character than even Gale or Astarion. Shadowheart is waifu, Lae'zel's got warrior's devotion, but Karlach is BAE. Who the hell else does tippy-taps while idling in this game? That's right, nobody.

Refund. Review bomb. Hit them where it matters. Let our voices be heard.

#JusticeForKarlach

Last edited by SynnLee; 15/10/23 02:46 PM. Reason: More words.

Erm, given that I've made this account for this purpose primarily... #JusticeForKarlach!
You're not just sacrificing yourself for her. You're selling yourself to Zariel. You're essentially doing to yourself what Gortash did to her. Not only will she be heartbroken that you're now enslaved but she will be doubly hurt by the fact that you've enslaved yourself to the one that enslaved her. Even if it's temporary.

I mean, yeah, true. But it's not like you'd be doing it out of any particular love for Zariel or agreement with her. I think if a theoretical Tav is going that route to get Zariel off of Karlach's tail (and also I suppose bargain out a new upgraded heart for her, to justify the means) then it's clearly a Tav who's on Karlach's side and therefore likely despises Zariel for what was done to her. Therefore they're also gritting their teeth and bowing their head to a person they despise, likely signing themselves off to object misery for the duration of that contract. That loops back to this being a sacrifice and makes them less of an "asshole who is willing to work for ZARIEL" and more of a "dumbass who is too quick to screw up their own life without asking if I want them to do that for me".

I think that would make Tav sort of reminiscent of Wyll. A desire to save someone (the city, the lover) mixed in with sharp desperation of being helpless to - and met with an objectively questionable, but effective offer from an evil entity.

Granted, the city didn't exactly thank Wyll for his sacrifice either, but this would be a whole other sort of an informed situation on Karlach's part. Even if Tav was bound to never tell the truth and forced to pretend they've just switched sides, she'd have to figure stuff out when that switch'd miraculously come with her life being given back to her and such.

F
Banned
Banned
F
Yeah but it won't be that big of a profit compared to the amount of resources they'd have to put into the game to make DE. Realistically, how many new sales they could get? 200k?

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
First of all that seems like a rather low estimate considering that by 2019 D:OS2, which was less successful than BG3, had sold 7.5 million copies, about a third of which were post Definitive Edition. Second of all let's use your super low figure of 200k, my man that's 12 million dollars. Do you think it costs 12 million dollars to pay VA's and animators to do a few more lines for a new quest and some cutscenes? How much money do you think making a game costs?

It really feels like you're just being bitter about unrelated game companies and are taking it out on Larian.

Last edited by Nessius; 15/10/23 05:53 PM.
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
First of all that seems like a rather low estimate considering that by 2019 D:OS2, which was less successful than BG3, had sold 7.5 million copies, about a third of which were post Definitive Edition. Second of all let's use your super low figure of 200k, my man that's 12 million dollars. Do you think it costs 12 million dollars to pay VA's and animators to do a few more lines for a new quest and some cutscenes? How much money do you think making a game costs?

It really feels like you're just being bitter about unrelated game companies and are taking it out on Larian.

Thank you, when you actually run the numbers. Its very much in their interest (aswell as their own practice up to this point) to do a DE. And this games been such a success that they dicussed suddenly being open to a dlc down the line. Should tell us that they are not done* with bg3 or that they are going to do minimal effort in the long term.

I could be wrong I hope im not. But ill hold off on doom and gloom until a year has passed and if a DE edition isnt announced or if they havnt fixed karlachs engine by then. Then ill concede *shrug*

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Also what could happen is that decide to do a physical release and make it a definitive edition as that, which not only would boost sales because people've been asking for a disc (that'd be two for this game) forever, but also to make it worthwhile for those that already purchased the game AND those that are new to the game.
Imagine that it'd be easier as an owner of the game on cloud, as an addition in form of DLC or even free of charge. But as a disc, it'd boost sales for the game on a new level AS WELL as being a DE with tons of new content. For one, I just introduced my partner to BG3 today and already mentioned a few things in first minutes of the game and CC that weren't there 2 months ago that have been added and...man it does add up. They care.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Feris
Realistically, how many new sales they could get? 200k?

Damn Feris, you outdid yourself.

That is actually the most brain dead thing you've said so far.

I look forward to your future content.

veteran
veteran
Yeah no, don't be like that.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
This is extremely off-topic but the juxtaposition of you being an authority figure I see in multiple online spaces I frequent and also your new theme of Jinx's terrifying pouty eyes lording over us like an angry god is wild.

Last edited by Nessius; 15/10/23 10:37 PM.
I
apprentice
apprentice
I
If a definitive edition was merely a cost-benefit analysis, would that stay true to Larian's ethos when creating BG3 to begin with? The game is an artistic tour de force - while it may not be perfect, it's success is undeniable to the majority.

By enhancing their current magnum opus, they not only pay homage to their dedicated fan base but also set the stage for unparalleled future successes.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I need y'alls thoughts on this clip RIGHT NOW
Dammon's VA and Sam were on his twitch stream chatting about things and is it just me or did he slip up recording lines for Dammon finally finding a solution to her heart problem?

clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongTenuousCrabsKeepo-m5Y2QPmd5mjFqjMM

Page 91 of 157 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard