Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 99 of 156 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 155 156
Originally Posted by Michieltjuhh
Proceed to raid the House of Hope, take the Hammer and your contract, and slap Raphael about.

I think a HUGE catch there could be that, say, Raph only promises to help Karlach after you fulfill the contract. And perhaps he actually does, but if there's a catch in that contract (as there probably is), then, well, that's your open bittersweet ending - Karlach lives, but now you're going to have to figure out how to get your soul back in post-game.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
T
Banned
Banned
T
My godness I've been scrolling through this thread for a few day now and my god what an ungrateful bunch you are. Karlach is supposed to be a doomed character, I don't know why you just wont accept it. By god Larian even rushed and added new cutscene just for her, and it's still not enough for you. Clearly there was no plans for her to have a good ending, and it becomes obvious when you listen to devs. They seem to be happy with her story as it is, they think its the fate she deserves and thats it, its their story they can do whatever they want. Just accept it

B
Banned
Banned
B
Guess I won't have my answer then

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Lol- at no plans

Originally Posted by Norrec69
If ppl like her ending thats fine? Its been said through out this thread ADDING an OPTION to save her/ fix her ending doesnt dimmish narration or take away from what the few ppl who like her story....like about it? It just gives us an option to adjust her fate more in line with the others.

And once again for a game of 17k supposed* endings. I dont think its to much to ask to just literally use any of the in game options that are teased to the players but we are never given an option to pursue.

I mean come on ppl. This is an RPG where choice is suppose to matter through out the game. Where you influence your companions from anywhere from redemption to damnation to bloody squidwards.
And for most of the companions they did a great job on that with a few minor hiccups.

But karlach? - two fetch quests that you can ignore at no cost. To then decide she dies. Dies in spirit as a squid or goes back to hell the place for her trauma the place she spends 3 acts actively sounding mad and terrified of.

Give me a break.
If astarions only options were to become ascended or die for cazador for us to gain an ally. After 3 acts of trying to save him. I think alot of astarion fans would understand the feelings we have

Pretty much all of this. People talk as if we want those depressing endings removed. These endings will remain: we want ONE good ending for her that doesn't result ending up in Avernus; her prison. The others can get their own good endings just fine. smile

C
Banned
Banned
C
My dude, you are clearly missing the point of a player choice driven game. Which this was marketed as. Cyberpunk is a natrative driven singular path game. As in you the player are just kind of along for the ride to the end. With some minor choices to get you to the end

This is a dnd inspired Crpg
Similer to dragon age origins in how choice and player infkuence on companions can impact the story. Having options is a strength and appeal to this style of game. Being pigeon hold into something is not. Espically when theres only one glaringly obvious pigeon hold in contrast to every other companion.
I get you like her endings thats fine.
And if an option to save her is implemented. I garentee you, you can still choosr to ignore it and send our girl back to hell, or bask in her explosion.
Ill just be able to have her stay and hug her cause I for one think she has suffered enough. And we will BOTH be happy. So not sure why your fighting so hard against it. For real.

Because it destroys the narrative. What's the point of her realizing she has few days left and needs to do live to the fullest with the time she has left if the solution magically appears and throws away the whole arc? And you can't save everyone, in act 1 you have to basically chose between Karlach and Minthara because even if you don't side with refugees or absolute, thieflings will die and lock you out of Karlach's questline. You have to side with either Emperor or Orpheus, as Dark Urge you'll be forced to kill Alfira (who's also sweet and Innocent character, yet terrible thing can happen to her btw), don't act like there is always a way out in this game.
Originally Posted by Walking Kole
Originally Posted by Conrad Curze
Of course it would dimnish the whole narration. Her entire story is about making peace with inevetable end, so fixing it at the last moment kinda throws away the entire arc. The whole avernus ending is very anti climatic for me and I think it shouldn't be an option but I understand that Larian wanted to give her something hopeful. She's the perfect tragedy because sometimes there is no good ending but at least she can become mindflayer and be the hero of her beloved city. I just can't understand why you guys have problem with that, it's a great piece of narration.

The Gondians don't have the solution because her engine is too old, that's literally the line of the Steel Watcher and it's logical they can't fix her because they shouldn't be able to without some bullshit deus ex machinas. I'll also repeat myself, it were the demons that enslaved Karlach in the first place, why would she crawl back to them to likely be enslaved again and cheated by another contract?

Her entire story is about finding a cure for her problem, she doesn't start making peace with it until after Gortash. That's when her quest line ends. Up until then she still held onto hope.

So fixing the engine is very much in line with her arc -- you tried once, you failed. Dammon came up with nothing. She loses all hope for a solution after Gortash. But we don't. Through hard work and some heavy sacrifices, we do it. There's likely a big catch to her newfound situation, but at least there's hope now.

Avernus perhaps feels anticlimactic to you because we didn't ease into it. If we could actually slowly nudge her throughout the game, it would've felt more natural. But the two options -- dying or going back -- are totally valid. Her going back to Avernus is the story facing her with her biggest fear.

As for this idea that "sometimes there is no good ending" -- there has to be a good reason for any bad ending. It can't just be bad for its own sake. What is the narrator trying to impart to the player with her story? That's the most important question. Right now I'm struggling to find a good answer.

Her engine is a prototype. The Gondians could replace it with the new version that can exist in this plane. But we can't know if they can or can't do that, because we're never given the chance to talk to them about it.

The Steel Watcher told her she was defective and needed to go back to the foundry to get fixed up. We can't pursue that line, either.

Except even after you get her upgrade in act 2, she says that she doesn't care about the engine and wants to use her remaining time now that she can touch someone. The Watcher said her engine should be scrapped (propably alongside her) and Gondians can't help her because if her engine was possible to remove, we wouldn't have a problem but it isn't, that's why new version won't solve the issue.

Originally Posted by Rae
If ppl like her ending thats fine? Its been said through out this thread ADDING an OPTION to save her/ fix her ending doesnt dimmish narration or take away from what the few ppl who like her story....like about it? It just gives us an option to adjust her fate more in line with the others.

And once again for a game of 17k supposed* endings. I dont think its to much to ask to just literally use any of the in game options that are teased to the players but we are never given an option to pursue.

I mean come on ppl. This is an RPG where choice is suppose to matter through out the game. Where you influence your companions from anywhere from redemption to damnation to bloody squidwards.
And for most of the companions they did a great job on that with a few minor hiccups.

But karlach? - two fetch quests that you can ignore at no cost. To then decide she dies. Dies in spirit as a squid or goes back to hell the place for her trauma the place she spends 3 acts actively sounding mad and terrified of.

Give me a break.
If astarions only options were to become ascended or die for cazador for us to gain an ally. After 3 acts of trying to save him. I think alot of astarion fans would understand the feelings we have

Of course it would dimnish the whole narration. Her entire story is about making peace with inevetable end, so fixing it at the last moment kinda throws away the entire arc. The whole avernus ending is very anti climatic for me and I think it shouldn't be an option but I understand that Larian wanted to give her something hopeful. She's the perfect tragedy because sometimes there is no good ending but at least she can become mindflayer and be the hero of her beloved city. I just can't understand why you guys have problem with that, it's a great piece of narration.
Originally Posted by Rae
But he did try but couldn't fix her. Gortash and Gondians also didn't have solution. Mizora and Raphael are demons, demons already enslaved her before, why would she trust them? The game allows you to try but it's hopeless, pretty much like V's story which is what makes it so great and allows us to appreciate the time we have left with Karlach

I think this is not true. There is zero possibility of try. Gondians have the fix and where is dialogue option "please try to install her new engine"? You cannot ask for it. Mizora is closest person to Zariel and where is possibility to ask her. ”Hi Mizora, can you help me?" No, you can't. Same with almighty Raphael and Dammon is maybe the only one where is a little bit of try, but nothing more. Rest of the game he just repeating I'm trying. Even if all these possibilities fail at the end, it will be ok. But you can't even ask, that's the issue in game where everything is possible with 17000 endings.

The Gondians don't have the solution because her engine is too old, that's literally the line of the Steel Watcher and it's logical they can't fix her because they shouldn't be able to without some bullshit deus ex machinas. I'll also repeat myself, it were the demons that enslaved Karlach in the first place, why would she crawl back to them to likely be enslaved again and cheated by another contract?

She wouldn't crawl back to them, but Tav should. Can he? No. And Gondians have newer engine, so they could give her a new one. Can you even ask? No

And I understand your deus ex machina issue, we spoke about this before on this forum, that they are "engineers", but we need "surgeon". I thing the game just cannot cover everything.

And how in the world she's supposed to be fine with her (presumably) lover selling their soul to the same monsters that enslaved her? She'd literally rather die than stay in the House of Hope, Tav selling themselves out would be like a knife to the back for her.

Ill just be able to have her stay and hug her cause I for one think she has suffered enough.
NO. No hugs. You already got one. Not fair if you get two until other non-Astarion companions get at least one first!

And what the hell has Astarion to do with that? Or rather any other companion?

T
Banned
Banned
T
I mean you're free to do whatever you want but for me it's just wrong. I don't even want to imagine how much it costed them, both money and health to make that one cinematic, yet you still complain. Thats so toxic of you

Originally Posted by Tinheart
My godness I've been scrolling through this thread for a few day now and my god what an ungrateful bunch you are. Karlach is supposed to be a doomed character, I don't know why you just wont accept it. By god Larian even rushed and added new cutscene just for her, and it's still not enough for you. Clearly there was no plans for her to have a good ending, and it becomes obvious when you listen to devs. They seem to be happy with her story as it is, they think its the fate she deserves and thats it, its their story they can do whatever they want. Just accept it

Don't appreciate the personal attack, but that's fine.

"Karlach is supposed to be a doomed character" -- citation needed. Nobody has ever said that. Not Swen, not the devs. No one.

In fact, everything that's present in the game points in the other direction -- the abundance of enriched infernal iron and a bunch of advanced infernal engine mechanics. But you can't interact with them on that one conspicuous point. A bit of a coincidence, don't you think? Doesn't help that Dammon's VA accidentally admitted to there being voicelines of her getting a fix recorded. If she was planned to be a doomed character from the get-go, why have them?

Her Avernus scene filled in what was once an abrupt cut to black when you chose that option. We appreciate the effort they put into it, and some people love that ending as a whole. But we asked for a fix, we didn't ask to send her to hell.

Lastly, getting railroaded into one particular narrative in a game about choices is the last thing you should expect.

R
Rae Offline
R
And how in the world she's supposed to be fine with her (presumably) lover selling their soul to the same monsters that enslaved her? She'd literally rather die than stay in the House of Hope, Tav selling themselves out would be like a knife to the back for her.

Thats of course true, but this is another story with its consequesnces. The main issue remains. Could you try it? Could you ask for it? No and No. You are not allowed by the game and yet it is so obvious that it should be possible.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Whats the point of making a deal with rapheal when you can raid the house of hope?
Whats the point of continuing wylls contract when you can still save his father?
Dude i get you like the depressong stuff and the idea* of making the *hard choice* and in bg3 you have the OPTION* to pursue it in alot of areas.
But no it doesnt dimmish the narrative. To implement the fixed engine ending which was clearly intended baded on stuff alrdy in the game. No ones going to take away your tragedy.
Your good.
For the rest of us we are just spitballing ideas and concerns and hoping Larian takes note.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I mean you're free to do whatever you want but for me it's just wrong. I don't even want to imagine how much it costed them, both money and health to make that one cinematic, yet you still complain. Thats so toxic of you

Haha im the toxic one? Ok i know know yoir either trolling or you havnt been reading this thread at all.
But ok my dude

Literally only 2 or 3 accounts in this whole thread has been actually toxic regarding larian and the rest of us defend the company. But were allowed to critque a product weve bought.

What's the point of her realizing she has few days left and needs to do live to the fullest with the time she has left if the solution magically appears and throws away the whole arc?

I'll be dead honest with you, I don't think the realizations you gain when dying are in any way diminished or going anywhere if you survive. She still went through all that, still felt all that, it's not going anywhere.

In fact, I believe there are a bunch of stories written all over the world about people going ham on living their lives to the fullest only to learn at the very end that their diagnosis was wrong and they won't die. Never once have I heard anyone call those arcs cheap.

The Watcher said her engine should be scrapped (propably alongside her) and Gondians can't help her because if her engine was possible to remove, we wouldn't have a problem but it isn't, that's why new version won't solve the issue.

The Watcher is hardly a definite undebatable expert on the subject and at no point can we ask the Gondians (who built it) IF they can help, so how exactly does our character know that? Like, we can come to that conclusion as a player through meta-gaming, because we see the options on the screen, but did anyone give that information to our character?

And how in the world she's supposed to be fine with her (presumably) lover selling their soul to the same monsters that enslaved her?

She probably wouldn't be, that's the beauty of making choices and facing consequences in a role-playing game.

My godness I've been scrolling through this thread for a few day now and my god what an ungrateful bunch you are.

In the most kind, sincere, human and concerned way possible: wouldn't you rather spend all that time on people whose point of view does not annoy you by default?

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
I think a HUGE catch there could be that, say, Raph only promises to help Karlach after you fulfill the contract. And perhaps he actually does, but if there's a catch in that contract (as there probably is), then, well, that's your open bittersweet ending - Karlach lives, but now you're going to have to figure out how to get your soul back in post-game.
Aye, would add a nice touch as well in the sense that in the current endings Tav is generally the one who's okay. Would be cool if there was one where Tav was the one making the sacrifice for a companion (one that isn't going full mindflayer). Would need some kind of different solution to raiding the House of Hope for the Orphic Hammer then I suppose, but I'm sure they can think of something.

Because it destroys the narrative. What's the point of her realizing she has few days left and needs to do live to the fullest with the time she has left if the solution magically appears and throws away the whole arc? And you can't save everyone, in act 1 you have to basically chose between Karlach and Minthara because even if you don't side with refugees or absolute, thieflings will die and lock you out of Karlach's questline. You have to side with either Emperor or Orpheus, as Dark Urge you'll be forced to kill Alfira (who's also sweet and Innocent character, yet terrible thing can happen to her btw), don't act like there is always a way out in this game.

In my opinion, the opposite is the case right now. So many things hint at her being savable while also giving you hints at what happens if you don't. Which makes sense - it should be a choice and you have to work for the solution, so the game should prepare you for both scenarios. But instead, no matter how hard you work for it and follow all the hints at saving her, it all accomplishes nothing and she's doomed regardless - choice was never actually there and trying to pursue it was pointless. Just a whole list of red herring solutions.

Yes, there are NPCs in the game that are doomed regardless, or require one to be sacrificed to get another. But none of those that you mentioned are origin companions, with the exception of Wyll turning into a demon if you want Karlach. For each other origin companion there is a way out to the point where they can start healing. That doesn't mean that's their only outcomes - they can all meet a dreadful end all throughout the game and in the endings. But the option is there.

Ill just be able to have her stay and hug her cause I for one think she has suffered enough.
NO. No hugs. You already got one. Not fair if you get two until other non-Astarion companions get at least one first!

And what the hell has Astarion to do with that? Or rather any other companion?

It was a joke about how the game needs more options for hugs. Currently only Karlach and Astarion get one.

Oh but sending her back to Avernus, something she despises, is fine? You know, an ending that exists in game. Even before the 'extended scene'. What if Tav doesn't want Karlach to die or go back to Avernus? We are talking about a game where we can have solutions for every single companion. We can either kill them, doom them to their past (Astarion ascending, basically doing what Cazador did even if he likes it, Shadowheart can remain a Shar slave, Wyll can remain as a slave to Mizora and Zariel....) or we can prevent all of those.

We can do literallly nothing for Karlach. And it's off for a game like BG, a game that already provides different outcomes for your companions, minus Karlach. Good, bad, bittersweet. Karlach's endings are all bad.

Not sure why you are against all this, you'll still get your depressing ending anyway. It won't destroy your narrative.

Constructive criticism doesn't mean we don't appreciate the work that they've done.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I feel lately the threads just getting brigaded. Not sure why as what we are originally doing (sharing ideas voicing our concerns and hopes to larian for an added ending, sharing bg3 news etc etc) harms absoluafely no one. Yet the past 2 weeks feels like ppl just coming in here to say no dont listen to these ppl- like why dude? We aint hurting you or your games endings why come here and and actively try to crap on our desires for a better outcome for a character that we like?

And yet were toxic? Lol i just cant lol

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Again gang, there is a lot of emotion in this topic. Which means Larian did good hehe However let's keep this civil. So far nothing bad but I see some emotion building. Every opinion on this is valid

For some reason they think we want the bad endings removed or we are bashing Larian. God forbid we are giving Larian some feedback.

B
Banned
Banned
B
Really? As for now all I see is almost 100 pages of complaining

I feel lately the threads just getting brigaded. Not sure why as what we are originally doing (sharing ideas voicing our concerns and hopes to larian for an added ending, sharing bg3 news etc etc) harms absoluafely no one. Yet the past 2 weeks feels like ppl just coming in here to say no dont listen to these ppl- like why dude? We aint hurting you or your games endings why come here and and actively try to crap on our desires for a better outcome for a character that we like?

And yet were toxic? Lol i just cant lol

It's a test for our community. We can overcome this. We just need to stay positive.

Page 99 of 156 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard