Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 39 1 2 36 37 38 39
Oh, shoot, I haven’t been siding with her at all since I got the Good Recruitment mod from Nexus XD
Let’s hope they take notice of that mod too since it’s reached 120K+ downloads last time I saw it! And yes, it seems clear that she wasn’t put in priority during development considering all the bugs she had.

On a more positive note, I submitted a bug report wherein I reported her lack of greeting variety and kiss option, and I got a reply that "it’s a known issue and they're working on it” so we have that to look forward to, I guess! I really hope it’s not an automated message lol, it did take like a week to get to me.

Last edited by rendemption; 31/10/23 07:02 PM.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
B
stranger
stranger
B
I really wonder how popular she is. Wish Larian released new stats regarding companions.

So, no big changes for her this patch, but there is a new datamined dialogue between Halsin and Minthara from Patch 4. What do you guys think about it? Like it, hate it? I want to hear people's opinions! I think this dialogue tree seems very fitting for a potential good recruitment path.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by rendemption
So, no big changes for her this patch, but there is a new datamined dialogue between Halsin and Minthara from Patch 4. What do you guys think about it? Like it, hate it? I want to hear people's opinions! I think this dialogue tree seems very fitting for a potential good recruitment path.
How is it even possible to have both of them alive in act 2? Halsin never survives past grove in my playthroughs, but I've heard even if you don't kill him, he finds your camp at night and tries to kill you. Is this dialog just a leftover?

Originally Posted by bpudd1ng
Is this dialog just a leftover?

It's a completely new dialogue but I’ve been told this is not yet implemented so there are no exact specifics on how to trigger it, at least none that I’m currently aware of.

You can have both of them alive by using the Sheepthara method. A part of me thinks this dialogue addition is a response from Larian for that particular exploit, another part of me is inhaling copium thinking they might be planning to add a new way to recruit Minthara lol.

B
stranger
stranger
B
another part of me is inhaling copium thinking they might be planning to add a new way to recruit Minthara lol.

Is it that big of a problem for people? I think adding more companions for evil/redeemed_evil playthrough is the right way. I really really hope they add Nere. I was surprised we can't recruit him, even though we can free him from the influence of Absolute. He just stands there like a moron and then turns into squid. Just imagine: Minty, Nere, Astarion, Durge.

Is it that big of a problem for people?
Her exclusivity? For a handful of people, yes.

I agree that the “evil” route is severely lacking in content. Sadly, in the game’s current state, it seems ideal for Larian to focus on the companions they have right now. There are a lot of issues the existing companions have (Wyll lacking depth, Halsin’s disappointing arc, etc.) and the effort they have to put in to add Nere as a proper companion with a complete backstory is no small amount.

This is why people have resorted to ask for Minthara to be recruitable in a good-aligned playthrough instead, it's just more easily done from a development standpoint.

B
stranger
stranger
B

I agree that the “evil” route is severely lacking in content. Sadly, in the game’s current state, it seems ideal for Larian to focus on the companions they have right now. There are a lot of issues the existing companions have (Wyll lacking depth, Halsin’s disappointing arc, etc.) and the effort they have to put in to add Nere as a proper companion with a complete backstory is no small amount.

This is why people have resorted to ask for Minthara to be recruitable in a good-aligned playthrough instead, it's just more easily done from a development standpoint.

Perhaps, but right now she's also the only reason to destroy grove, other than going full genocidal durge. If she becomes recruitable in good-aligned playthrough, it will for sure make her much more popular, but also it defeats a purpose of evil playthrough.

I know, but I’d take her becoming more popular first and then they can put in the proper time and effort to make the evil playthrough truly good in their separate timeline/schedule. It needs a lot of work.

stranger
stranger

It's a shame. It wouldn't be too hard to think of more variety in the amount of evils we could commit either. Like instead of massacring the grove, take the refugees/druids as prisoners for moonrise. This way, Wyll could survive if we choose to side with Minthara. After capture, we could either speak to him later with deception or warn that more will be killed if he doesn't work with us. We'd definitely give him Mizora vibes this way, but we are not nice people after all, heh.

I don't know if they ever plan to make the infiltration pathway fully realized, but I'd really love it if Larian did. Imo, it’d be a solid way to get the cool drow lady without being a complete monster.

Last edited by Laurentia; 03/11/23 08:43 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
I know, but I’d take her becoming more popular first and then they can put in the proper time and effort to make the evil playthrough truly good in their separate timeline/schedule. It needs a lot of work.

Now that I think of it, you're right. At this point, she still doesn't have anything to her romance, you can't even talk to her or kiss her. All I really care for is for Larian to expand Minthara's character. She gets very active in the end of act2 and beginning of act3, but then her interactivity almost completely vanishes. Orin connection gets brought up often, only for Orin to never acknowledge Minthara's existence.

Originally Posted by Laurentia
It's a shame. It wouldn't be too hard to think of more variety in the amount of evils we could commit either. Like instead of massacring the grove, take the refugees/druids as prisoners for moonrise. This way, Wyll could survive if we choose to side with Minthara. After capture, we could either speak to him later with deception or warn that more will be killed if he doesn't work with us. We'd definitely give him Mizora vibes this way, but we are not nice people after all, heh.

I don't know if they ever plan to make the infiltration pathway fully realized, but I'd really love it if Larian did. Imo, it’d be a solid way to get the cool drow lady without being a complete monster.
Exactly! Massacring the grove, especially, just locks us off from more content, making it feel very empty for people who did good playthroughs first. Also, I wasn’t sure about the possibility of Wyll/Karlach staying in an evil playthrough as they both have very strong moral codes, but a choice to spare them would've certainly been nice. Meanwhile, a choice to spare Minthara is something I was shocked to not discover. Why would she say “I’m not leading a suicidal charge” and then proceed to lead a suicidal charge? XD

Still, I’m inclined to believe the writers know more than the players ever will. What we think would work vs what they think may differ significantly, and they have the allocation of resources to consider. The game is receiving updates and they’re listening to us, this much is something to be grateful for.

All I really care for is for Larian to expand Minthara's character. She gets very active in the end of act2 and beginning of act3, but then her interactivity almost completely vanishes. Orin connection gets brought up often, only for Orin to never acknowledge Minthara's existence.
You and me both. Good news is Minthy has (more or less) been confirmed to get that kiss option soon. It involves poison lol.

apprentice
apprentice
Also, I wasn’t sure about the possibility of Wyll/Karlach staying in an evil playthrough as they both have very strong moral codes
They're both use morale when they feel comfortable with it. Sort of double standarts. Wyll has no problem with Mizora's pact or killing Karlach until you stongly push on him about it. Karlach justify thievery and obviosly not for grand purpose. They're just don't like you raiding grove with Minthara but they will accept any evil choice you will make in the future.

Same with Minthara tbh. She hates all gods for their cruelty and etc. But if you play as D. Urge she will inspire you submit to Bhaal and become his full puppet. Moreover she will persuade you if you tell her that you don't want to become chosen of Bhaal. Before that you could hear dialogue with her about Orin that she will murder and slaughter this world instead of rule over it and how this is bad. But when you will do the same - it completely satisfies her. Poor writing in act 3 as I see.

Last edited by Bloodshed; 04/11/23 12:57 PM.
Yep! No one can be the perfect image of goodness. Although I think it goes without saying Wyll's pact/killing Karlach and thievery is nothing compared to mass genocide XD

Originally Posted by Bloodshed
Same with Minthara tbh. She hates all gods for their cruelty and etc. But if you play as D. Urge she will inspire you submit to Bhaal and become his full puppet. Moreover she will persuade you if you tell her that you don't want to become chosen of Bhaal. Before that you could hear dialogue with her about Orin that she will murder and slaughter this world instead of rule over it and how this is bad. But when you will do the same - it completely satisfies her. Poor writing in act 3 as I see.

Minthara hates the gods for being fickle, not for their cruelty, but she also admires the gods. In the EDIT: love Dryad test, you gain approval for suggesting she admires them the most (even if it's wrong, because she admires you the most). I don't think it's bad writing tbh, in her case at least. She doesn't suggest you to be Bhaal's puppet, just to embrace your birthright and take the power for yourself - which is in line in what she believes in: power is everything.

Last edited by rendemption; 04/11/23 01:58 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
She doesn't suggest you to be Bhaal's puppet, just to embrace your birthright and take the power for yourself - which is in line in what she believes in: power is everything.

Power to be a Bhaal's puppet to try eliminate every life from Faerun. To be ruler of void at the end. Still strange for me her not to try to make you refuse Bhaal because it would be much better to rule by your own then under mad slaughter god who wants nothing but everyone dead.

Last edited by Bloodshed; 04/11/23 02:05 PM.
Power to be a Bhaal's puppet to try eliminate every life from Faerun. To be ruler of void at the end. Still strange for me her not to try to make you refuse Bhaal because it would be much better to rule by your own then under mad slaughter god who wants nothing but everyone dead.
You are aware that Bhaalspawns can rebel from that, right? She never explicitly stated she supported Bhaal’s desire to eliminate everyone, nor for you to blindly follow his every whim. She wants to have power over people, to be respected, and she can’t have that if everyone is dead XD

Embracing Bhaal’s (in her words, extraordinary) power is just another step to reshape the world into what she wants. As the player, you can tell her you share that dream of hers which would garner you her support. If you refuse Bhaal, she just questions your decision because she thinks it's dumb to refuse power of that caliber.

apprentice
apprentice
You are aware that Bhaalspawns can rebel from that, right?

Maybe his/her descendants but not Dark Urge. Because he/she wasn't even born. He/she is handcrafted by bhaal of his own flesh. Mortal part of the god. And Bhaal demonstrate his power over you when you refuse him.
And if you didn't notice - Dark Urge is the last bhaalspawn after killing Orin (Saverok is a spirit bounded to tribunal I suppose not a living creature). So I can't understand who is other bhaalspawns?

Last edited by Bloodshed; 04/11/23 05:03 PM.
Maybe his/her descendants but not Dark Urge. Because he/she wasn't even born. He/she is handcrafted by bhaal of his own flesh. Mortal part of the god. And Bhaal demonstrate his power over you when you refuse him.
To which they were resurrected after the fact, thus reborn and freed from Bhaal’s influence LOL

All of this is beside the point because Minthara’s decision to support Bhaal’s power is consistent with her goals as a character. If you think that’s strange, that’s fine, I’m just telling you why I don’t think it’s strange. She can very well ditch DU if she thinks they're too far gone, and she likely will.

There are other Bhaalspawns. I specifically remember hearing DU was initially attacked by Orin and one other Bhaalspawn prior to their memory loss.

veteran
veteran
You are aware that Bhaalspawns can rebel from that, right? She never explicitly stated she supported Bhaal’s desire to eliminate everyone, nor for you to blindly follow his every whim. She wants to have power over people, to be respected, and she can’t have that if everyone is dead XD

Embracing Bhaal’s (in her words, extraordinary) power is just another step to reshape the world into what she wants. As the player, you can tell her you share that dream of hers which would garner you her support. If you refuse Bhaal, she just questions your decision because she thinks it's dumb to refuse power of that caliber.

I agree with Bloodshed. There was an ending planned for a Durge, that take the Bhaal power, but in the end decides against Bhaals plans - let's just say, that was much more graphic and bad, than what they get now (I think now, the Durge lost their mind and becoem Bhaals puppet, it was worse in the ending, they had in mind before - there is a video with the narration of that). So yeah, for Durge, who doesn't stand up to father dearest, there is no self determined life, let alone unlimited power. So in case, I ever get Minthara (I'm not doing evil playthrough), I'd rather risk her disapproval tbh.

To which they were resurrected after the fact, thus reborn and freed from Bhaal’s influence LOL

All of this is beside the point because Minthara’s decision to support Bhaal’s power is consistent with her goals as a character. If you think that’s strange, that’s fine, I’m just telling you why I don’t think it’s strange. She can very well ditch DU if she thinks they're too far gone, and she likely will.

There are other Bhaalspawns. I specifically remember hearing DU was initially attacked by Orin and one other Bhaalspawn prior to their memory loss.

From what I know about Minthara I do agree, that it makes sense, that she wants you to take the power and if things go south, she'd probably leave.
I don't know about another bhaalspawn - where was that mentioned?

Last edited by fylimar; 04/11/23 05:26 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by fylimar
From what I know about Minthara I do agree, that it makes sense, that she wants you to take the power and if things go south, she'd probably leave.
I don't know about another bhaalspawn - where was that mentioned?

The only other Bhaalspawn I can think of is Sarevok, but he’s very enthusiastic about you killing Orin, so I don’t think it was him?

Last edited by Laurentia; 04/11/23 05:41 PM.
Page 38 of 39 1 2 36 37 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard