Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 105 of 105 1 2 103 104 105
veteran
veteran
@Estelindis

Impressive review. Very well said and our experiences of WotR seemed to mirror one another. I have few points of disagreement on the Emperor and Durge but I'll save those comments for other threads.

You captured my feelings about the relationships in the game perfectly. Yes, Daeran was the first time I felt like a toon was pandering me. And somehow I was able to forgive all of his (many) flaws because he was so very entertaining and so useful in the party. And your point about wish fulfillment was spot on. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but the fantasy of becoming the embodiment of freedom, love and nature struck a chord with me whereas becoming an evil, slimy-skinned monster was no where on my wish list. And BG3 did nothing to put it there!

I do hope the BG3 devs do something to eliminate the railroaded "damp squib" moments at the end. I felt like they were going for tragic, heroic sacrifice and just didn't work.

Anyway, I really hope the devs see this. Well done, you.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Impressive review. Very well said and our experiences of WotR seemed to mirror one another. I have few points of disagreement on the Emperor and Durge but I'll save those comments for other threads.
Thank you very much! Reading back over the thread, I can see that closing it was discussed a few times, but I'm very glad that it stayed open. As someone who has played CRPGs going back over 20 years, WotR and BG3 are the most impressive games I have played over the last few years, and I think comparing them can be very useful. I'd be interested in discussing the Emperor and Durge in more detail elsewhere, definitely. smile

You captured my feelings about the relationships in the game perfectly. Yes, Daeran was the first time I felt like a toon was pandering me. And somehow I was able to forgive all of his (many) flaws because he was so very entertaining and so useful in the party.
It's comforting that my feelings here are not unique!

As a woman who generally plays female characters romancing male characters, my experience in most RPGs with romance is that my character ends up with the good-aligned male romantic lead. He is almost always a character who I like very much, but who is not liked by a certain subsection of loud male players. Those players will describe the male romantic lead as "boring and whiny," boast about never using him in their party (or killing him if they get the opportunity), complain if he ever seems to take part of the spotlight, etc. These complaints sound the same from one RPG to the next, regardless of the actual differences between the male romantic leads. Meanwhile, these players will be playing male characters who romance female characters, and be absolutely full of praise for how wonderful their romance is. Romancing Daeran made me wonder if part of the experience that those players enjoyed was a sense of being pandered to (given that the female romantic leads often get a lot more content), and whether I was now getting to enjoy a taste of that. It was also refreshing in the sense that none of the usual suspects could credibly complain about Daeran being boring or whiny, because of how entertaining he is.

And your point about wish fulfillment was spot on. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but the fantasy of becoming the embodiment of freedom, love and nature struck a chord with me whereas becoming an evil, slimy-skinned monster was no where on my wish list. And BG3 did nothing to put it there!
I do hope the BG3 devs do something to eliminate the railroaded "damp squib" moments at the end. I felt like they were going for tragic, heroic sacrifice and just didn't work.
Yes, I think we're on the same page here.

I feel like "wish fulfilment" can be seen as dirty words by many. "Oh, you just want a fantasy to pander to you! How low! What about fine art?" But art and wish-fulfilment don't have to be at odds. Every work makes a promise in its initial self-presentation. We then ask if the promise was fulfilled in its conclusion. This doesn't mean that writers can't play with tropes, create surprising twists, and subvert expectations. All those things can be achieved successfully, without betraying the work's initial promise, if the deepest underlying values within the promise continue to be heeded and/or interrogated in an interesting way.

As a highly generalised example: a work may present itself as speaking to a specific yearning that is initially presented as good. It can then question what is at work in that yearning, and maybe point out some inconsistencies and problematic dynamics. But just leaving it there isn't satisfying. We get catharsis when the work ultimately "redeems" whatever underlying good can still be found in the initial yearning after all the interrogation, rather than simply saying "well you shouldn't have wanted that, have this instead."

Without going into so much detail that it would be explicitly spoilery (but I'm happy to discuss it further in some other, more appropriate thread), I feel like the lyrics of the soundtrack's song "I Want to Live" speak beautifully about many of the themes in BG3. It's not wrong to want to live, to long for all the things we can do in the future if we make it through our struggles. Yet I felt as if, after almost a whole game of clearly saying "it's good to live," the very end of BG3 decided to move in a sideways direction. It didn't fully drop the "living is good" theme, but it half endorsed that and half endorsed something else. It also presented the something else as heroic and self-denying, even in a scenario where you may have been trying to make heroic, self-denying choices precisely contrary to that something else for the whole game. And it presented that something as necessary, while not making a sufficiently strong case for its necessity. For me, that was a fumble that made BG3's ending less satisfying than it could have been.

None of this is to underestimate how challenging it is to write a satisfying ending. However, I think that WotR can offer some good pointers on how to do it. There are many final states in which WotR can end, from the destructive to the redemptive, from the triumphantly victorious to the nobly self-sacrificing, from upholding the status quo to subverting it, and more. In writing some of the wicked endings, I don't think any endorsement of those behaviours is implied - but the promise offered in making wicked options available is fulfilled.

I've run a lot of tabletop RPGs over the years. At the outset of a campaign, I always try to have a clear sense of what specific fantasy I'm putting on the table. That's not because the most important thing to me is the integrity of the world I'm presenting. That is important. But the most important thing to me is the quality of the experience for my players. I can only keep the promise I'm making to them if I know what it is.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. Perhaps we will take up some of these points again in other threads!

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's some balanced views (tried to avoid possible spoilers). Whilst I have my qualms, I don't get anybody completely crapping on either game as if they were both Ruins Of Myth Drannor meets Descent To Undermountain Reincarnete, btw. (often times fanboys/haters of either game and/or the company who made them). Just a decade ago, EITHER a game such as WOTR or BG3 was but a pipe-dream. They didn't make games like these anymore outside of really small-scale indies, let alone at any scale, as it was basically a few publishers dictating completely what gets to be made... and playing it ultra safe whilst doing so. 2005-2012/13ish were so far the bleakest years in the history of gaming from that point of view, if you were to ask me. Ever since, there's been an explosion of games of all kinds for nearly anybody.

I'll be getting back to WOTR myself after I'm finished with BG3 (which unlike DOS1, I'll actually do, as DOS1 plays like a combat system demo in comparison... and paste&copy encounter design later on too, whilst we're at it). But I want to play Solasta's Palace Of Ice DLC too (the Lost Valley one was very descent, even with a faction choice and multiple possible endings). Broken Roads. Monomyth. The Thaumaturge, and a few others well. Oh, and Rogue Trader is already being released in December too. Threads like these sound encouraging that RT would adress my main qualm I have with both Kingmaker+WOTR. https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTrade...ust_ackgnowledge_how_good_the_combat_is/

With rogue trader, there are little to no throwaway encounters, and they're spaced between proper exploration chunks. The longest combat sequence I can remember is the end of act1, with 3 encounters in a row going up to the boss.

Last edited by Sven_; 05/11/23 05:34 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can only pray to Omnissiah that Rogue Trader doesn't need a year of patches to be playable without excessive frustration. While they no longer have to properly adapt a tabletop ruleset with everything that entails, Owlcat still have a tendency for messing up their conditions and triggers and other mechanics (like how the kingdom in Kingmaker could just stop working or how the turn-based battles in WotR never really got properly re-implemented).

I would disagree on how "a decade ago" RPGs such as those were impossible. Save for the cinematic overstuffedness (which is wholly unnecessary and detracts from the experience, in my opinion), D:OS1 was in its own way a very ambitious game and the opener for the short-lived CRPG renaissance. PoE1 became the Infinity Engine games' successor that Dragon Age failed to be (and Kingmaker done with way too much ballast weighing it down). And you had things like The Age of Decadence, the Shadownrun RPGs, Serpent in the Staglands, Underrail...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Brainer
I can only pray to Omnissiah that Rogue Trader doesn't need a year of patches to be playable without excessive frustration.

Why wouldn't it? Rogue Trader Beta was way worse than WOTR's before release, and WOTR released with good 25% of everything not working as intended, + seems like Rogue Trader in general had less development time.

If anything, Rogue Trader will be even more unplayable than WOTR. The fact that it also comes to PS5, while owlcat can't fix the WOTR PS4 version, and never bothered releasing a PS5 version, is even more concerning.

So no need to pray, just wait for release and wait for actual player feedback.

P.S. it is pathetic that we are worried about things we never thought about 10-15 years ago. We aren't discussing if games will be good or not, we are talking about how much time after release those games will be playable without frustration... It's impossible to buy a 100% working game on release nowadays.

Last edited by ladydub; 06/11/23 11:00 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ladydub
Why wouldn't it? Rogue Trader Beta was way worse than WOTR's before release, and WOTR released with good 25% of everything not working as intended, + seems like Rogue Trader in general had less development time.

If anything, Rogue Trader will be even more unplayable than WOTR. The fact that it also comes to PS5, while owlcat can't fix the WOTR PS4 version, and never bothered releasing a PS5 version, is even more concerning.

So no need to pray, just wait for release and wait for actual player feedback.

P.S. it is pathetic that we are worried about things we never thought about 10-15 years ago. We aren't discussing if games will be good or not, we are talking about how much time after release those games will be playable without frustration... It's impossible to buy a 100% working game on release nowadays.

Oh. I saw a few videos of it but it seemed more or less stable. Welp. The obsession with releasing multi-platform when you can't make the PC version work properly in the first place is also a red flag, indeed (certainly was when Larian announced it, while still in very borked EA and releasing as they did - at least there was some window between platforms, but hardly any for the game to become stabler or better).

And yeah, I am in full agreement on the state the games release in, although it's not exactly the fairest assessment at all times - KotOR2 and VTM:Bloodlines might be cult classics, but they released in a horrendous state back in the day thanks to publisher pressure. The difference being that they had been forced out of the oven by an external force whereas Owlcat (and now Larian) seem to take years introducing bugs, shuffling features, and throwing design decisions / bits of writing out to then awkwardly replace them with something else as the deadline approaches (Daisy to Emperor is as blatant as it gets...).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Brainer
D:OS1 was in its own way a very ambitious game and the opener for the short-lived CRPG renaissance. PoE1 became the Infinity Engine games' successor that Dragon Age failed to be (and Kingmaker done with way too much ballast weighing it down). And you had things like The Age of Decadence, the Shadownrun RPGs, Serpent in the Staglands, Underrail...

Short-lived? It's still going. It's just that Obsidian have opted out after Deadfire for the time being. But else... nothing's much changed. There's announcements and games everywhere. They may not all make the headlines Obsidian made back then, like "OMG, some guys behind PS:T, IWD and BG are doing another game like that." Plus of course BG3, which, ironically, wouldn't have existed for what's happened back then. Pretty interesting to read a few old blogs in general. Unlike back then, when New Vegas was my saving grace and Skyrim sort of a guilty pleasure, there's so many games out that I have to pick. Some of them are still coming this very year or have already released, such as Broken Roads, Rogue Trader, Wartales, The Thaumaturge, Colony Ship, Zoria:Age Of Shattering, BEAST.

The overall number may still go down. But ever since, it's become far more viable to develop CRPGs, thanks to digital distribution, tech being readily available (Unite engine, etc.), mainly. And it shows. NOw if only Immersive Sims would see a similar renaissance... :-(

Last edited by Sven_; 06/11/23 12:46 PM.
addict
addict
^I'm huffing that copium too Sven but at recent Josh' Instagram post when asked about the possibility of PoE3: "He don't know whether it's possible at this point", this post is before the recent news about him when asked the same question except if he is given BG3 budget.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
Page 105 of 105 1 2 103 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard