Originally Posted by Ixal
I would also add a controversial opinion. WotR (and other RPGs) do reactivity better than BG3.

Agreed.

Honestly, were it not for 10.2 about to drop over in WoW and the fact I'm in desperate need of a new PC soon, I'd likely have started playing WotR again/returning to my good Demon Path run. I've even got a friend wanting to give it a try due to the way I talk so fondly about it, who came into BG3 as their first look at cRPGs (a mistake and a half, imo, but I'll fix that soon!), and wants to give other, better cRPGs a try due to their distaste with BG3 after a while. So I'll be buying it for them in the next couple of months, DLCs and all. They're really excited to make their chaotic tiefling - though are still torn between Trickster or Lich path!

Originally Posted by Ixal
Sure, just being a specific race or class in BG3 should not have that extreme consequences compared to your choice of mythic being, but I would have expected to at least some race/class specific quests or having some "we don't serve your kind" moments where some races have to approach a situation differently than others instead of just automatically succeed on a skill check for the same result.

I'm honestly forever disappointed that the most my drow encountered top-side was "wow, a drow? your kind usually aren't known for being nice :)" or the Absolute's goblin army falling over themselves to please him. Like no, you don't need to make people be trying to attack me on sight constantly... but a bit of combat here and there, or at least quite tense situations that would prompt dialogue checks to possibly avoid combat, wouldn't have gone amiss.

Regardless of Seldarine drow existing, and WotC's efforts to make drow less "evil-coded" because of... I think it was weird political stuff about them being PoC-coded?? idk. But regardless of all that, I'd still prefer drow be treated normally; that is, most people will outright distrust them or be openly hostile, and some will even attack first rather than stopping to chitchat.

Like, I enjoy playing drow who ran from the Underdark, and are trying to be better than their culture, but are constantly pitted up against such adversity which tests them in physical and emotional ways. It's part of why Viconia's story in BG1 and 2 was so compelling, it's why the early Drizzt novels were some of my favorites; there is a compelling narrative to be found in trying to be a mostly good person, in the face of adversity based upon stereotypes and the past deeds of a people you no longer associate with, but share the blood of.

I remember my Demon run, he was a tiefling - and tieflings in WotR especially are treated with great suspicion and hostility due to their heritage. I felt very engaged in playing him as a mostly good-leaning but somewhat "ends justify the means" soldier, who was often dealing with disparaging remarks, distrust, and racism which might have made him turn to a darker path.

I didn't ever really feel that same engagement while playing my redeemed Durge drow. Yeah, he got lots of race prompts in Act 1... but aside from making the Absolute camps a walk in the park, it didn't really have much effect on he or the people travelling with him. Not the way it feels it should have, given drow history.

Last edited by MarbleNest; 01/11/23 11:48 AM.