Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 111 of 157 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 156 157
Originally Posted by rendemption
Hey guys! I mostly hang in Minthara threads but I wanted to join the support by saying I think Karlach deserves that happy ending. A tragic/bittersweet ending for such an upbeat character really breaks my heart and I wouldn't have any qualms if it was actually done well. Also, the writing for Karlach in general is admittedly rushed and her VA's interviews support that claim. I won't hold it against Larian if they decide not to add/change her story in a future patch, but they have to at the very least consider adding the possibility to fix her engine in the Definitive Edition.

As for Patch 4, I don't remember it being announced either. What I do remember is hearing they were going to go on a break/vacation. People on Reddit have reported some changes on the backend on SteamDB but that was it. The rest are speculation.

Welcome aboard!

We never really expected them to add anything for Karlach in any of the patches since what we're asking for is a monumental amount of work. Patch 2 was a huge surprise for all of us, I just hope it won't be the last time she sees anything major done for her.

Regarding Minthara, I hear her lines are still bugged despite the previous attempts to fix them. The upcoming patches will probably (hopefully) focus on that.

Also, for the DE, I know this is controversial among Minthara fans, but I wouldn't mind a good (official) recruitment option for her. Romancing Minthara as Karlach is really something else, and I'd rather do right by Karlach's people while also not leaving Minthara hanging in Act 1. I don't know where you stand on that.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 01/11/23 02:40 PM.
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I feel as though the most obvious way to allow minthara to be recruited without genocide would be to allow *nonlethal* attacks count as *stopping* the goblin leaders. Or maybe convince her to look for the grove in a completely different direction. Which then she leaves. You kill the other 2. And bam recruit her in act 2 after she failed*.
It would be cool to get her in any of my playthroughs but if its between her and karlach. Im standing by Mama K all the way.
(Yes i could play as karlach but i much prefer playing as tavs or durge atm)

Thank you for the welcome! I wasn’t there to see the hype when the Avernus ending was added in. Even then, it was just so nice to see them readily respond to fans’ feedbacks like that. I can only imagine how it felt for the people who cared for her since the beginning, or the ones who actually helped to make it happen.

Originally Posted by Walking Kole
Patch 2 was a huge surprise for all of us, I just hope it won't be the last time she sees anything major done for her.
I hope so too. I’m aware they had existing assets but the fact that they called her VA back to the studio and properly added it in really raised my opinion of Larian. This and the numerous changes they’ve made since release is a testament to how much they care about our input. It doesn’t raise my expectations of them necessarily, which is probably wise. I’m just more inclined to send them bug reports/feedback forms and keep a more positive outlook. I think it’s good to keep this thread going, no matter what Larian may or may not do.

Also, for the DE, I know this is controversial among Minthara fans, but I wouldn't mind a good (official) recruitment option for her. Romancing Minthara as Karlach is really something else, and I'd rather do right by Karlach's people while also not leaving Minthara hanging in Act 1.
I was not aware it’s a controversial topic! Most people I’ve spoken to have been supportive because the current path is very limiting and gives less incentive for people to experience her character. I have seen few arguments of keeping her exclusive to the “evil route” but those are quickly shut down by other comments, which I agree with XD

Also, as much as I love Minthara, I always stand by Mama K too. I've been using the mod for every run (but one) so I can get them both in my party. I hope Larian can do more than just add the option to knock her out. I want them to present her as a proper companion, not just an NPC people will gloss over when they’re playing good.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
stranger
stranger
Patch 4 is out now apparently. No new endings but lots of bug fixes.

old hand
old hand
“Shadowheart and Wyll now go to Avernus with Karlach as they promised.”

Is an entry in the patch 4 notes. Interesting! Shadowheart?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
still waiting on that good ending larian. i dont think sending her right back to hell is the ending karlach "deserves" and you know it

#JusticeForKarlach

Patch #4 Karlach-related work (30 in total):

Animation

• Karlach will now feel more alive while idle in camp rather than just standing there doing nothing.

Flow and scripting

Across acts

• Removed a line when talking to Wyll that refers to information revealed when using your tadpole powers on Karlach even if you never talked to her.
  • Fixed a flow issue when talking to Karlach.

Act 1

• Karlach will now talk about her infernal engine during her recruitment dialogue if the Paladins of Tyr were already killed.
  • Fixed the modifier tooltips not appearing correctly when trying to convince Karlach to consume tadpoles.
  • If either Wyll or Karlach is staying at camp and the other is controlled by a user other than the primary user, their confrontation will still proceed as normal.
  • If you decapitate Karlach before having spoken to her and then resurrect her, she'll no longer spend the rest of the game headless. (they killed the meme)

Act 2

• Karlach's scene about facing death will now also trigger at camp in Act II.
  • Patched up older savegames where Dammon would enter combat and die at Last Light, preventing Karlach's story from progressing.

Act 3

• Romantic partners are now present for Karlach's final moments.
  • Fixed Karlach reacting to having spotted Gortash if you already killed him.
  • Karlach will speak a bit more the first time you enter the House of Hope with no real reason.
  • If you tell Karlach to wait for the date because you had to prepare, and talk to her again, the dinner will no longer end after you choose your favourite meal from the menu.
  • Shadowheart and Wyll now go to Avernus with Karlach as they promised. shadowheartgiggle wyllcool
  • Karlach's death now plays correctly when romanced with Halsin.
  • Karlach's partner (whether you're playing as her or as her partner) now follows her to the docks to witness her final moments.
  • The player that tells Karlach they'll go to the Hells with her will now be the one to do so.

Journal

• Added a new journal entry for learning about the paladins at the tollhouse being followers of Zariel and added more context when recruiting Karlach before having accepted Anders' quest.
  • Added a new journal entry for starting Karlach's 'The Hellion's Heart'. ???????
  • You will now receive a quest reward for killing Karlach regardless of whether Wyll is in your party.

Map

• When looking for Infernal Iron for Karlach, it will now appear on the map as a broader area marker.

Sound

• Fixed mind flayer Karlach not always sounding like a mind flayer.

Writing

• Fixed being able to refer to Gale as 'her' if you start a relationship with Gale while dating Karlach and break up with her.

Cinematics

• Fixed some missing VO in Karlach's recruitment dialogue.
  • Karlach will no longer be wearing a glove when she touches Dammon's hand after getting her first upgrade.
  • Fixed an awkward-looking wrist in a dialogue with Dammon and Karlach.
  • Fixed large characters sometimes blocking Karlach after killing Gortash.
  • Polished characters' emotions in the dialogue after a romantic night with Karlach in Act II.
  • Improved the appearance of Karlach's kiss.
  • Polished the dialogue between Karlach and the Steel Watcher. ???????

Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
“Shadowheart and Wyll now go to Avernus with Karlach as they promised.”

Is an entry in the patch 4 notes. Interesting! Shadowheart?

Playing as SH probably. I'm guessing for some reason she couldn't, before.

Also they added a new animation scene for Karlach when you kiss her anytime. I love it.

old hand
old hand
It’s awesome that they’re fixing the bugs and polishing what’s in the game. I’m a little sad though that they aren’t adding an expanded epilogue with this patch. (I wasn’t expecting anything huge like a new Karlach questline, but I was hoping for a little more content/dialogue at the end.) I’ll have to check out the new kiss animation.

apprentice
apprentice
new epilogues for the companions could be in either the next patch or the one after that, if not..then definitely expect for them to be saving the epilogue endings as a selling point for the DE of the game

Polished the dialogue between Karlach and the Steel Watcher. ???????

The "??????" was my reaction as well. Don't have an appropriate save lying around to check I don't think, but sure hope it isn't something like "In case you didn't hear it the first time, unit, YOU'RE NOT FIXABLE" laugh

(I am good-naturedly joking btw)

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Added a new journal entry for starting Karlach's 'The Hellion's Heart'. ???????

Now this is interesting, if I remember correctly her previous quest name was "Our Fiery Friend". Also it's important to note that Enriched Infernal Iron is still in the game and still useless.

Karlach's partner (whether you're playing as her or as her partner) now follows her to the docks to witness her final moment

This is also a big deal. I'm noticing that they still haven't added anything that directly contradicts or addresses her heart issue, unless that dialogue with the Steel Watcher is something like "You're fucked lmao". Maybe I'm just coping but they also pointedly haven't added any dialogue about why we CAN'T fix her engine, and considering how much effort they've gone into to touch up the dialogue in other places it gives me some hope.

Last edited by Nessius; 02/11/23 02:49 PM.
Originally Posted by tarraxahum

The "??????" was my reaction as well. Don't have an appropriate save lying around to check I don't think, but sure hope it isn't something like "In case you didn't hear it the first time, unit, YOU'RE NOT FIXABLE" laugh

It's all fun and games until Larian slams down the gavel on us. frown

Originally Posted by tarraxahum

Watch it be like this lmao. It'd be even worse, honestly.

Also yeah I don't expect any epilogues so soon, those will probably be either added in DE or next year, at best.

Originally Posted by Nessius
Added a new journal entry for starting Karlach's 'The Hellion's Heart'. ???????

Now this is interesting, if I remember correctly her previous quest name was "Our Fiery Friend". Also it's important to note that Enriched Infernal Iron is still in the game and still useless.

When I read that they added a marker for Infernal Iron, for some reason my brain registered it as the enriched kind but then I read it again and something died inside of me.

Can somebody tell us what the new journal entry is?

Karlach's partner (whether you're playing as her or as her partner) now follows her to the docks to witness her final moment

This is also a big deal. I'm noticing that they still haven't added anything that directly contradicts or addresses her heart issue, unless that dialogue with the Steel Watcher is something like "You're fucked lmao". Maybe I'm just coping but they also pointedly haven't added any dialogue about why we CAN'T fix her engine, and considering how much effort they've gone into to touch up the dialogue in other places it gives me some hope.

They also haven't removed the Infernal Iron. Just hoping we don't OD on copium by the time DE comes out.

Last edited by Walking Kole; 02/11/23 03:09 PM.
Originally Posted by WildOrchid
Also they added a new animation scene for Karlach when you kiss her anytime. I love it.

Absolutely based! Can't wait to see it after they add a fixed-engine route. :copium:

Last edited by Walking Kole; 02/11/23 03:06 PM.
Thank you for the welcome! I wasn’t there to see the hype when the Avernus ending was added in. Even then, it was just so nice to see them readily respond to fans’ feedbacks like that. I can only imagine how it felt for the people who cared for her since the beginning, or the ones who actually helped to make it happen.

About that... that cutscene was really controversial among the Karlach fandom. Mainly because we were hoping to fix her up, but she got sent to hell instead. Not sure about here, but it was an epic meltdown on Discord. This led to the mods closing the Karlach megathread that had far surpassed over 100k replies. Felt like you were part of history at the time.

I hope so too. I’m aware they had existing assets but the fact that they called her VA back to the studio and properly added it in really raised my opinion of Larian. This and the numerous changes they’ve made since release is a testament to how much they care about our input. It doesn’t raise my expectations of them necessarily, which is probably wise. I’m just more inclined to send them bug reports/feedback forms and keep a more positive outlook. I think it’s good to keep this thread going, no matter what Larian may or may not do.

Thank you for the support! Karlach and Minthara fans should stick together just like those two.

I was not aware it’s a controversial topic! Most people I’ve spoken to have been supportive because the current path is very limiting and gives less incentive for people to experience her character. I have seen few arguments of keeping her exclusive to the “evil route” but those are quickly shut down by other comments, which I agree with XD

Also, as much as I love Minthara, I always stand by Mama K too. I've been using the mod for every run (but one) so I can get them both in my party. I hope Larian can do more than just add the option to knock her out. I want them to present her as a proper companion, not just an NPC people will gloss over when they’re playing good.

You'd be surprised how many people are protective of their evil routes and want even more exclusive content for them. I've felt quite a bit of that sentiment over on Reddit. Glad you agree that it doesn't have to be that way.

---

Unfortunately, not much news on Minthara's bugged lines. Must be quite more troublesome than it appears.

This is what's new for her in Patch 4:

Animation

• Added some new idle animations and behaviours for Minthara, Halsin, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel at camp.

Gameplay

Controller

• Kissing Minthara can now sometimes have an additional ramification.

Flow and scripting

Across Acts

• Fixed a 'Leave.' option appearing twice in a row when talking to Minthara about your other party members.
  • Minthara now acknowledges the gift of vengeance you have given her.
  • Minthara no longer insists on talking as though you're still in Moonrise Towers even after you've left.

VFX

• Added some VFX when using your tadpole powers on Minthara at camp.

Cinematics

• Fixed Avatar Lae'zel being topless when she shouldn't be in the scene with Minthara at night after the Act I celebration.
  • Minthara, Jaheira, and Halsin will now appear in the cutscene overlooking Baldur's Gate from Wyrm's Crossing if they're in your party.

Now this is interesting, if I remember correctly her previous quest name was "Our Fiery Friend".

Our Fiery Friend is her main quest (the one that only concludes
when Gortash is killed
), The Hellion's Heart is a subquest of that and focuses just on her engine repairs, I think it concludes with the second upgrade or some such. Like Shadowheart's quest is Daughter of Darkness with a subquest Chosen of Shar, for example.

Karlach's idle animation in camp is hilarious, she talks to herself or does some stretching or she's just resting. laezelapprove

Tried to sneakily load up my game just to look at the new kiss animation and got hit with a glitch where no animation (old OR new) is playing and the dialogue just ends instead. I'm mostly laughing about this because OF COURSE.

I did get my game modded recently, so it could very well be that (although I don't have anything related to animations or dialogues in there). Will sit it out, wait till the dependecies are updated. If mods are at fault, then it's even funnier. Ouch, my gamer hubris.

Everyone else getting their kisses okay?)

Page 111 of 157 1 2 109 110 111 112 113 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard