Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 82 of 93 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 92 93
lol not true! Almost all of the companions are mono and I know they've already written to a few people that they would be annoying all the time until Larian changed something.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by Laras
I will repeat this again and again.

Please don't. The mods have specifically asked folks not to do this.

A little common sense in the sea of delight from the animation of a kiss.
I'll survive if I get banned, it doesn't hurt me.
It is much more frustrating that there are no really important changes in the announcements.

Then you come with a new account, it's not difficult.

Originally Posted by EdaLee
He doesn't need a mono option, he's poly and if the other companions stay as they are then he will too.
Right now if you romance Halsin solo you don't have to romance anyone else (plus it would be difficult since the evolution of romance for other companions goes through Act 1 and 2 and you can only flirt with Halsin until Act 3). So... We kind of have mono option, it is invisible in a way, but still. Yes, he has these lines about "relationships and sharing happiness" and stuff but still you can only romance him in Act 3. In this case there should be made some additions for other companions to allow Tav to have romance with them in Act 3 skipping Act 1 and 2.

Invisible... yes... of course he doesn't change his attitude and we should get the end soon.

Last edited by Seho; 03/11/23 03:51 PM. Reason: Edit
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Laras
It is much more frustrating that there are no really important changes in the announcements.

As it doesn't make sense to add two versions of a companion (one mono, one poly/open) because people don't just change preference like that, they have to make a choice of what path to expand upon (his act 1/2 attitude or his act 3 attitude), and that'll take a lot of time. That is assuming anything will get changed, of course.

Being able to join him in the epilogue is at least a good start, because that didn't make sense regardless of how he's portrayed. Though I do hope that doesn't include Astarion/Shadowheart; expanding upon that lie doesn't make it truth it just makes it a bigger lie.

Originally Posted by Noelle666
Yes, he has these lines about "relationships and sharing happiness" and stuff but still you can only romance him in Act 3. In this case there should be made some additions for other companions to allow Tav to have romance with them in Act 3 skipping Act 1 and 2.

If they expand upon his poly/open path (which they likely will), they'd be much better off adding some unromanced companions into the mix. Someone like unromanced Lae'zel/Astarion should be willing for sure based on their act 1 attitude, before they get their romance arc character development. And an argument could be made for unromanced Karlach too. That's 3 options, so more than the current, and ones that are significantly more consistent.

And damn, that kiss is juicy. I hope all companions get something like that down the line!

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 03/11/23 04:26 PM.
Ok, so I read all the datamined lines more attentively. I was blined by an option to have actual ending with Halsin, now my mind is clear.
So... I don't like the ultimatum since Halsin acts wery weird, to say the least. People wanted to have Minthara without slaughter and I'm pretty sure they wanted to have both Halsin and her in party since we don't have a paladin companion, plus Minthara, as I know, an interesting character. In this case we see a clear example of OOC for Halsin - he is too capricious. And what about Tav who can be drow or half-drow? In this case a player would prefer only Minthara.
His "drow issue" and his abusive esperience... I don't know, looks clumsy,. If we already know how hates drows then why sleep with them? Feels like OOC again or problematic writing. This dialogue should be added BEFORE orgy.
About ending... Yes, I am happy, but Tav's line... what is this: "Don't be an ass"? What do you mean? Tav kind of forces him to be with them and we, players, wanted Halsin to say HE wants Tav to be with him. It sounds like:

- Hey, I have a new goal, but I will be happy to see you as soon as possible.
- Oh f**k you, I'm staying with you, no rejections since I won't accept them!
- Oh... ok.

Previous lines should be rewritten too, imho. Otherwise Tav looks kind of abusive and Halsin (if you look through all these datamined dialogues) looks like a spineless softy. Sorry, it may sound Harsh, but this is what it looks like to me now, when I can analyze what I see.
I don't know what else to add. One one hand Larian want to make changes for us but they are too weird and clumsy. If only Halsin wasn't turned into a mess from the very beginning... -_- I love him, but god damn it, why he suffers so much?

L
L
Ok, so I read all the datamined lines more attentively. I was blined by an option to have actual ending with Halsin, now my mind is clear.
So... I don't like the ultimatum since Halsin acts wery weird, to say the least. People wanted to have Minthara without slaughter and I'm pretty sure they wanted to have both Halsin and her in party since we don't have a paladin companion, plus Minthara, as I know, an interesting character. In this case we see a clear example of OOC for Halsin - he is too capricious. And what about Tav who can be drow or half-drow? In this case a player would prefer only Minthara.
His "drow issue" and his abusive esperience... I don't know, looks clumsy,. If we already know how hates drows then why sleep with them? Feels like OOC again or problematic writing. This dialogue should be added BEFORE orgy.
About ending... Yes, I am happy, but Tav's line... what is this: "Don't be an ass"? What do you mean? Tav kind of forces him to be with them and we, players, wanted Halsin to say HE wants Tav to be with him. It sounds like:

- Hey, I have a new goal, but I will be happy to see you as soon as possible.
- Oh f**k you, I'm staying with you, no rejections since I won't accept them!
- Oh... ok.

Previous lines should be rewritten too, imho. Otherwise Tav looks kind of abusive and Halsin (if you look through all these datamined dialogues) looks like a spineless softy. Sorry, it may sound Harsh, but this is what it looks like to me now, when I can analyze what I see.
I don't know what else to add. One one hand Larian want to make changes for us but they are too weird and clumsy. If only Halsin wasn't turned into a mess from the very beginning... -_- I love him, but god damn it, why he suffers so much?

This is what I thought as well. I hope the datamined stuff remains in the oven for some time, otherwise Halsin will just continue to have a bad case of "writer's pet-itis".

He's not suffering, and what Tav says is exactly what they want, just in reference to a different matter. Always this complaining...

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I try to think that the "don't be an ass" is Larian just trying to be funny, or they're referencing that he can shift into a donkey maybe?

But yeah I would like a less pushy option from Tav, something along the lines of "If you'll have me, that is.".

Also, hopefully he won't seem so bummed about it if it ever gets released. He doesn't seem very excited judging from the text.

Last edited by Mizukun; 03/11/23 06:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mizukun
I try to think that the "don't be an ass" is Larian just trying to be funny, or they're referencing that he can shift into a donkey maybe?
I think Tav is right. Halsin is being an ass at the end because he is just spouting something vague about duty and being free and that Tav should visit as soon as she can instead of having a discussion with Tav about what Tav wants to do or inviting Tav to join him (if that’s what Halsin wants).

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Had to take a break from the thread for a bit, I hope Im all caught up now.

So let me get this straight.

People wanted Halsin added as a relationship option. He gets added but its not a relationship because reasons. Then he dumps us at the end.

But then they change his ending and it potentially makes Tav out to be pushy while Halsin begrudgingly lets Tav go with him, but he doesnt actually WANT Tav to do so? Am I understanding this correctly?

Why cant Halsin just love me. Thats all I want.

Did you understand that? No, he wants us, otherwise he would say no thanks, it's ok.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
About ending... Yes, I am happy, but Tav's line... what is this: "Don't be an ass"? What do you mean? Tav kind of forces him to be with them and we, players, wanted Halsin to say HE wants Tav to be with him.

It's guaranteed based on it being added due to feedback. It's added that way because we were annoyed that he didn't ask us to join him.

Same with Shadowheart's datamined hug line the first time you hug her - it's her saying "finally. I thought I'd never get a hug out of you."

It's just having fun with the feedback, which I'm completely fine with. But ye, it's not him asking us. But he doesn't decline either, just acts like he didn't expect the interest which could be worse.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 03/11/23 06:52 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
Had to take a break from the thread for a bit, I hope Im all caught up now.

So let me get this straight.

People wanted Halsin added as a relationship option. He gets added but it’s not a relationship because reasons. Then he dumps us at the end.
He leaves at the end, but he doesn’t exactly dump Tav. He would have to be in a relationship with Tav to dump her. And he still wants to sleep with her if she wants to visit…

A
A
If this goes live, it would address most of my issues with Halsin as he is. There are a few others things I dislike, liked the mixed messages in his "relationship" dialogue, but it's moving strongly in the right direction. Still would like to see a tie into Act 3, but new content is a very different animal than tweaks.

And I may be in the minority, but I think it is in character for Halsin not to ask the player to join him, while expressing his desire to see them again.

P.S. On the Minthara thing, I have mixed reactions. Yes, having them both there and a tension between them would be very interesting. But while I personally could never slaughter the tieflings in the Grove, I do have sympathy for the "evil" players that they don't get much unique for their playstyle.

Last edited by Asri; 03/11/23 07:19 PM.
E
E
I feel like what's been datamined here is at least a decent step in the right direction. Hopefully there will be more, but for now, I'm going to be be happy that it looks like they're actually doing something and listening to our feedback.

(Although, there really should be an option to convince Halsin that Minthara can stay.)

Last edited by EMar; 03/11/23 10:04 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Icelyn
He leaves at the end, but he doesn’t exactly dump Tav. He would have to be in a relationship with Tav to dump her. And he still wants to sleep with her if she wants to visit…
Genuine question- Is Halsin supposed to be non-monogamous and aromantic?

veteran
veteran
As others have mentioned - Characterising Halsin, as currently written, as Poly is harmful and a destructive misnomer that does a fairly bad disservice to people who do live in poly situations. He's relationship averse, and if he refuses to think of or call what you have a relationship, then it's certainly not a poly relationship.

As you say, what he seems to be, by what everyone describes, is a strictly non-monogamous and likely aromantic person... though that casts some shade on some of his other behaviour and comments which kinda gaslight the player as having been romantic with him, over simple friendly or just plain 'what any decent person would do' actions.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lyricus
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Genuine question- Is Halsin supposed to be non-monogamous and aromantic?
Nonmonogamous, yes, unfortunately so. As for aromantic, I don’t think so, but I am not 100% clear what that is, so I could be wrong.

Page 82 of 93 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard