Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Wyll and Karlach are the two companions we always travel with. Karlach (and actress Samantha Béart) love is welcome here but the thread is about Wyll. Wyll doesn't deserve the hate directed towards him and Theo Solomon, the actor who peforms the charcter in the game, shouldn't be snubbed. Rather than argue about that this is a thread for players who like Wyll and those who have played or plan a serious Wyll Origin playthrough. Also for those who support Theo Solomon as, I'm happy to say, I have seen.

Wyll is a good friend almost from the start, reliable in a fight, and by far the most heroic self-sacrificing character I've come across in a long while. Like all the companions he needs a good respec and proper leveling and gear to bring out his best. Then he -wyll- steadily eldritch blast enemies out of your face (and often into the space of a deep chasm).

What do you like most about Wyll? What kinds of Wyll respecs and multi-classes have you made?

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 08:07 AM.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
veteran
veteran
I like Wyll, he is a great character. I wish, he had more content in act 3 - as the son of the archduke, people should react more to him.
The voice actor, Theo Solomon does a great job.
I don't play premade characters, so I won't play his or any other origin, apart from Durge, but if I'd play one, Wyll would be a candidate.

I normally level Wyll as a paladin after a few levels in warlock, since I think, it fits him and he at one point has to look for a different skill set, because of his story.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Wyll is great, because he gives us all that fantastic charm and the devilish content, and then he really helps carry it over the finish line when you get to the city. He adds a lot to the first Act too if you keep him in the mix, like all the stuff with Florrick and whatnot.

I haven't taken him out of Warlock for multi-classing yet, but once he gets his portrait change, Wyll gets first dibs on every single hat I come across. His hat collection is hella boss! I've been trying to find doubles of some hats so I can do different dyes. I wish we could combine stuff like circlets and hats in the same slot, if the apparel isn't enchanted. Basically I like to keep style fit, and low profile so at first glance he can kinda play it off smooth. I mean Florrick still noticed, but I like to head canon that she kinda knew the deal there. I got him going in two runs right now, with slightly different angles for the protagonist, but I'm further along in the one where I kept him sorta standard. Might experiment more with the other one. I did Pact of the Chain on the first out just cause it's fun to have a summon. Typically I pretend the Quasit and Imp are like double agents he might have met somewhere along the way in his previous travels, and they sorta show out again at opportune times to help us mix it up.

I thought the performance was totally solid. He ended up being one of my favorite characters, especially since he's got a lot of hooks in on the main plot.

ps. This is the look I've had him reppin' for his default wardrobe most of the game... Basically I gave him everything in the EA chest, like the hat and the cape and whatnot, just with a dye over. Usually he's alright to part with the enchanted equipment if we're cycling around with other characters, excepts for his kicks! He gets to keep those for the misty step dance routine hehe.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Black_Elk; 05/11/23 08:39 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah, I would say, Wylls and Lae'zels stories tie the most to the main story, which is, why I don't get, that he is do much under the radar.
I don't appreciate Mizora hanging out in my camp though. I hate her guts.

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Originally Posted by fylimar

I like Wyll, but cannot stand Mizora. It's always a coin flip when I'm deciding whether to recruit him.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I'm with you fylimar, I choose games specifically to create my own character but I feel like Wyll has old-fashioned Superman energy -without- invulnerability. He pays such a high price in every way and keeps fighting. I find that really interesting.

Wyll as a Warlock/Paladin is a great idea. It's spot-on for him and a great combo.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
That's interesting timekiller. I never thought about Mizora. If I'm being honest I always thought we would kill her as soon as we could without sending Wyll to hell. So I hate her but I don't mind her coming within weapon reach on a regular basis.

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 08:47 AM.

#MMS
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Taleon
That's interesting timekiller. I never thought about Mizora. If I'm being honest I always thought we would kill her as soon as we could without sending Wyll to hell. So I hate her but I don't mind her coming within weapon reach on a regular basis.

Can you kill her? I haven't been in Act 3 for a while now, but I remember she even used to say that you can try but she'll come back.

veteran
veteran
Oh oh one more, this is when he goes full on pharaonic Faerun, with the gift of gab!

It's definitely my favorite look so far... I was so stoked when we got to the Sundries! hehe

Act III spoilers*

ps. I gave him the archery gloves for blazing arrows hehe. Cloud of daggers, still reliable. Scratch in the backfield somewhere!

pps. to the below ? Right though? I had the 4000 Miles eldritch blast playing in my head, so it's like a whole theme now in my run I guess hehe. I was feelin' it

Tail end of the BG2 era pretty much - spectacular album! Might as well get that second beam in!

Last edited by Black_Elk; 05/11/23 10:49 AM.
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
The hat thing is awesome Black Elk. One of the sweetest moments in the game is the way Karlach tells Wyll his horns are fantastic and give him care tips when he makes that important choice in Act I.

I love the idea of the Quasit and Imp as double agents Wyll has recruited. I've gone back and forth between pacts because Faerun calls him Blade of the Frontiers but there are ways to be that person and use summoned entities which can br really useful.

I like Theo Solomon's performance a lot. Especially when you first meet Wyll (you can practcally hear a theme song somewhere) and the way he manages to convey Wyll is human enough to feel bad when bad things happen to him but heroic enough to shake it off. He makes goodness seem natural. At least for Wyll.

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 10:21 AM.

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I don't know if you can kill her timekiller. I wasn't spoiling and in this case I couldn't. I said that was always my plan. The only reason we didn't go for her immediately is because we met her when we really tired and she does mention if we do Wyll dies too.

#MMS
veteran
veteran
I'm with you fylimar, I choose games specifically to create my own character but I feel like Wyll has old-fashioned Superman energy -without- invulnerability. He pays such a high price in every way and keeps fighting. I find that really interesting.

Wyll as a Warlock/Paladin is a great idea. It's spot-on for him and a great combo.

I do prefer playing my own gender in rpgs, so I nearly almost play female characters.

There is a great Wyll build - using mostly bladelock, 2 levels of paladin (Vengeance) and one level of storm sorcery, for the Fly movement:

I don't know if you can kill her timekiller. I wasn't spoiling and in this case I couldn't. I said that was always my plan. The only reason we didn't go for her immediately is because we met her when we really tired and she does mention if we do Wyll dies too.

No, you can't kill her in the game without killing Wyll - the only option is in act 2, when you have to free her from the mindflayer pot, but it means loosing Wyll too and Karlach will be very mad at you (rightfully so - since Mizora did warn us, what would happen).

Doctor Who
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I can understand that fylimar. I only create male characters unless you can also make a custom companion.

I can see Wyll as a sorceror but I'm a sorceror so I gave him a bit of Wizard instead. I feel like he's smart and he would start exploring other ways of using magic trying to get out of the pact.

I wouldn't make Karlach feel bad or send Wyll to hell for all the tollkeeper's gold. If we can't get Mizora this time it's fine. We can wait...

#MMS
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I feel like with many of the other companions and story arcs it tapers of a bit in the third act. I failed to save Duke Ravengard and it felt like that had much too little impact on Wyll.

I wanted the chance to hand over the role of saviour of Baldur´s Gate in the end battle to him and let him do the speeches and stuff. My character not being the classic hero that people would rally around, it would have made sense for them to put him at center stage and let him be the front figure.

Things like that would have given me more of the Wyllfillment I got from him in the early game. But he's still a great and somewhat underrated character (and he's the cutest and my favourite of all the male romance options).

veteran
veteran
I can understand that fylimar. I only create male characters unless you can also make a custom companion.

I can see Wyll as a sorceror but I'm a sorceror so I gave him a bit of Wizard instead. I feel like he's smart and he would start exploring other ways of using magic trying to get out of the pact.

I wouldn't make Karlach feel bad or send Wyll to hell for all the tollkeeper's gold. If we can't get Mizora this time it's fine. We can wait...

I was trying for a build, that would focus on his swordmanship - since that was his (very cool) introduction. So I thought paladin fits. Another good class for him would be sword bard, because of the flourishes, that replenish on short rest like his warlock spells, but since I often play bard and don't like to main paladin - and don't have Minthara in the group, because I don't like to play evil - , I decided to go the paladin route with him. Fighter would also be a good fit imo, might try that next time.

Doctor Who
Wyll and Karlach are the two companions we always travel with. Karlach (and actress Samantha Béart) love is welcome here but the thread is about Wyll. Wyll doesn't deserve the hate directed towards him and Theo Solomon, the actor who peforms the charcter in the game, shouldn't be snubbed. Rather than argue about that this is a thread for players who like Wyll and those who have played or plan a serious Wyll Origin playthrough. Also for those who support Theo Solomon as, I'm happy to say, I have seen.

I'm sorry, but I have to argue about it. There is no need to insult community. "Not popular" =/= "hate". If a couple of weirdos said something (never saw it personally), there are always a couple of weirdos saying something about anything and anyone. Every single companion (I dare say, every NPC) gets at least one always displeased badmouther. Community as a whole has nothing to do with it.

The sentiment I see around is "Wyll is ideal to play as an Origin character". But considering more than 90% of players chose a custom character and Warlock is not the most popular class, no wonder few play him.

As a companion, Wyll suffers from a lack of content and not-so-good pacing of romance (due to re-writing, afaik). Also, compared to EA, Larian changed his personality from a clear Warlock/Bard to a Warlock/Paladin. The story fully justifies the change, no complaints here, but some still remember "old Wyll" and those new bones could still use a little more meat.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
I feel like with many of the other companions and story arcs it tapers of a bit in the third act. I failed to save Duke Ravengard and it felt like that had much too little impact on Wyll.

I wanted the chance to hand over the role of saviour of Baldur´s Gate in the end battle to him and let him do the speeches and stuff. My character not being the classic hero that people would rally around, it would have made sense for them to put him at center stage and let him be the front figure.

Things like that would have given me more of the Wyllfillment I got from him in the early game. But he's still a great and somewhat underrated character (and he's the cutest and my favourite of all the male romance options).

We are on the same page but don't say too much more about Act III. We're still lingering in Act I and II areas because I don't have that much time, I'm an EXPredator, and I had to go back for Karlach (It's a long story :)).

I've heard Act III could be a bit better. I can say Wyll is perfect for the true hero a city can rally around. The wyllfillment I got in Act I is a big reason I like the story. I feel like part of the reason Wyll is underrated is he willingly takes loss after loss for strangers and doesn't make a fuss. He just carries on.

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 01:15 PM.

#MMS
Wyll is probably the only dude I like the most of the party, he's a delight to have and I just love how kind hearted he is. Sadly, as others said, he - much like Karlach, has somewhat lacking content compared to the rest which is sad.

Will definitely play his origin sometime in the future.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T

I was trying for a build, that would focus on his swordmanship - since that was his (very cool) introduction. So I thought paladin fits. Another good class for him would be sword bard, because of the flourishes, that replenish on short rest like his warlock spells, but since I often play bard and don't like to main paladin - and don't have Minthara in the group, because I don't like to play evil - , I decided to go the paladin route with him. Fighter would also be a good fit imo, might try that next time.

I've wanted to do Bard-something from the beginning but haven't yet fulimar and I mean for me.

I always laugh a little when people mention Minthara. Basically we sack the goblin camp from the inside out every time to keep their army away from the grove. We have never had a conversation with her. "Swords not words" as wise man said. Well not wise but well meaning.

I give the Blade of the Frontiers Cloud of Daggers like Black Elk said and either our best finesse weapon or a powerful blade he can use with his pact. There are also magic gloves that shoot blades/thorns. Figher is a good and durable multiclass second choice for Wyll after Paladin.

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 02:07 PM.

#MMS
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r

I like Wyll, but cannot stand Mizora. It's always a coin flip when I'm deciding whether to recruit him.

Same here. This is really my only major hangup about recruiting Wyll. He's great; Mizora is awful. Unfortunately they're a package deal. astariondisapprove

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard