journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I like this hat on Wyll

I thought he looked very swashbuckling in the digital DLC Beast's tricorne hat, especially with the cloak as well. I resisted swapping them in for something that actually did something useful for an embarrassing amount of time in my first playthrough.

I kept him in my party (and my PC romanced him) in my first playthrough, and also dual-classed him into Oath of Vengeance paladin. I ummed and ahhed, but decided in the end that felt more appropriate than Devotion for how he was developing, given his willingness to do things others would consider beyond the pale for the greater good, and the fact that he says at some point that while he swears by the three he is not really devout - can't recall the exact words, but I think it was him contrasting himself with Gale).

There is another hat, that looks great - it looks a bit similar than the DLC hat, but I didn't find it on my second playthrough and this here (what I posted) looked very steampunky. I like that. Was contemplating to give it to my Durge Suri, but she is a bard and uses Birthright to get her charisma up.

I'm not sure which of us would have worn that charisma hat fylimar. I might've had to challenge my friend to a friendly fencing match to decide. Headwear can be a real challenge. Fortunately Faerun embraces the horned community -at least in fashion and gear. The quetion is as you both are sayiing: utility or style?

Paladin is a perfect fit and Oath of Vengeance is a good choice. Wyll is a defender of the people but he does it avenging them hunting monsters. If anyone can keep the oath of devotion and be bound to the pact it's Wyll but I feel like he judges himself too harshly to believe that.

Wyll and I haven't talked about devotion so I'm not sure what he meant by that comment Red Queen. I think he might not consider himself religious or very good, because he is too aware of his faults. And few people commit sins as terrible sins as those claiming it is justice supported by a god; Karlach's first lesson fresh out of hell. Wyll may not be devout but no one is more commited to creating the greatest good without contempt or callousness.

Last edited by Taleon; 05/11/23 11:57 PM.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
Originally Posted by WildOrchid
I'm probably the only one who likes Mizora lmaoooooooooooo.

I think Mizora's fabulously and amusingly evil, and wonderfully acted, too. Though I still think we should be able to get her to leave camp after her plot purpose is served grin.

I mean yeah, that's basically why I like her, she's quite hilarious when she recites laws as well. grin

But yeah I completely understand people not wanting her there, thankfully you can actually tell her to leave as she has no purpose staying in the camp, other than just
seducing you.

old hand
old hand
thankfully you can actually tell her to leave

... have you tried telling her to leave?

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by JandK
I wish Wyll got something for being a devil. Something devilish, like devil's sight, or resistance to certain types of damage.

I always have trouble with headgear and horns. If I start thinking there are holes for the horns to go through, then I start wondering how the hat/helmet/whatever could possibly have been put on in the first place.

Same with pants and tails, though, in fairness.

I think it's done with snap fasteners.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
veteran
veteran
I'm probably the only one who likes Mizora lmaoooooooooooo.

I think Mizora's fabulously and amusingly evil, and wonderfully acted, too. Though I still think we should be able to get her to leave camp after her plot purpose is served grin.

I mean yeah, that's basically why I like her, she's quite hilarious when she recites laws as well. grin

But yeah I completely understand people not wanting her there, thankfully you can actually tell her to leave as she has no purpose staying in the camp, other than just
seducing you.
She won't leave though, if you tell her. She just says No and stays. And if you attack her, she just vanishes for a sec and comes back. There is no way to get rid of her as far as I know. And I don't really understand her purpose to be there. It's not like we include her or ask her advice.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Mizora's useless presence in my camp annoying.

veteran
veteran
I think Mizora is his real torch Romance hehe. Like she's the one who just won't let it go. That girl is poison! lol

Speaking of which, early on switched out the Bicorne for the Bard Wide Brim with General Drake colors. Pretty solid look like for an infernal Tuxedo with the black hat and matching up the regular story beats. Traded out the Flute for the Bass lute before chasing down the Goblins. Usually Astarion gets those robes I'd suppose, but we gave him Lump's horn to compensate hehe

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If you play as him you get a pretty Bedazzling opener from the first long rest, so threads to match I guess right?

ps. Bardlock status I think, for sure. Kept it going for a couple hours till we settled on a dip into purple rain, cause drake didn't look quite as clean with the bard duds. Got the Quasit improvising for now lol. Maybe if they keep practicing they'll hit the big time when they finally find a proper drummer.

Healing Word and Inspiration came in handy after Minthara flipped the merch table and the Goblins got way out of pocket hehe. S'crying eyes! Eat your heart out Mizora!

Catch ya on the next act heheh

And the last (Spoilers*)

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/11/23 03:56 PM.
She won't leave though, if you tell her. She just says No and stays. And if you attack her, she just vanishes for a sec and comes back. There is no way to get rid of her as far as I know. And I don't really understand her purpose to be there. It's not like we include her or ask her advice.

Omg, I never told her to leave so I had no idea. eek

old hand
old hand
Just think how thrilled Karlach must be to have Mizora hanging around all the time. I imagine Wyll and Karlach get together off in some corner, on the far side of camp, and make certain Mizora-related plans for the future... devil rpg008

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Taleon
Thank you Estelindis. Great comment. Definitely something to think about and explore. Is there a line for self-sacrifice and, if there is, how much is the reason the person is so willing in the first place what defines it and how much is the line defined by the result? As Withers asks, what is the worth of a life?

I feel like Wyll and Karlach challenge our character as much as our sensibilities as angels who look like devils while we sometimes choose devils that look like angels.

In the next age somone is going to decide Wyll should be remembered as a saint if Faerun remembers him, human and flawed but a saint. What about the rest of us as heroes or ordinary beings? How much is too much to ask to save someone or many and what are we if we are not willing to pay?
Thank you Taleon! For me, this is one of the chief questions inspired both by the game in general and Wyll's story in particular.

In a world like FR, where lives are finite but souls can be eternal, to what extent can it ever be fair to sacrifice a soul - even your own soul, offered freely - to save one life? What about hundreds or thousands of lives? And to what extent can we meaningfully talk about it being a free sacrifice if there's extreme time pressure and the hanging threat of others suffering if you make the "wrong" choice, or even if you simply don't decide quickly enough?

At the same time, we can't necessarily treat it as a pure "souls vs. lives" calculation, because an atrocity against a large number of lives can have an impact on the fate of people's souls - say, if someone gets pushed down a path of vengeance by suffering, and ends up handing over their own soul in a pact. Or someone simply gets ground down by suffering and takes a worse path as a result.

In any case, regarding Wyll:

One might wonder whether Mizora could've handled the Cult without Wyll (not necessarily alone, but perhaps with some of Zariel's forces). Perhaps she chose to offer Wyll a pact simply to get the Grand Duke's son under her thumb. I don't think the game offers anything close to enough evidence to answer that question, so let's assume (for now) that it was genuinely necessary for Wyll to take the pact to save Baldur's Gate.

That's a world away from sacrificing his soul to gain his father a few more years of life. Wyll being so willing to do that says two things to me: he loves his father immensely; and he undervalues his own soul and is far too willing to sacrifice it to help others.

Does being a "hero" mean always putting others first?

I would have loved to be able to talk with Wyll more about his image of heroism. We do get to discuss it a bit, but he resists the sort of analysis I'm offering here, objecting that the Blade is the best version of himself. He's striving to be a good person who helps others - and for him, at the moment, that means trying to be an idealised heroic figure. If there was one message I wanted him to take to heart, it's that Wyll Ravengard is enough. He doesn't have to be the Blade of anything.

Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Mizora's useless presence in my camp annoying.
Far from it! I hate her being there.

Particularly when she has tried to kill Wyll's father, in the scenario where you save him while still breaking Wyll's pact... and now she's just standing by Grand Duke Ravengard. Waiting. Having said that she still intends to find some way to balance the scales and kill him. And we can't make her leave.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Good morning Murder Squad!
And good morning Wild Orchid. We're just going to talk to Mizora, I promise. Then murder her. smile

Black Elk these pictures are great In the first one Wyll looks like he's ready to play his own theme song as he wipes out some monsters. One of the things I like about him is Wyll feels bad sometimes but he isn't always grim. I admire that.

I love the album cover. Spider lyre? Bold alternative.

You may be right about Mizora. I had a similar thought when that potrait change happens in the first act. But it's not real affection or pash. It's just cruelty and manipulation for fun. Poision like you said.

Is bardlock a robust Wyll Build? Has anyone else tried it?

Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I think Mizora is his real torch Romance hehe. Like she's the one who just won't let it go. That girl is poison! lol

Speaking of which, early on switched out the Bicorne for the Bard Wide Brim with General Drake colors. Pretty solid look like for an infernal Tuxedo with the black hat and matching up the regular story beats. Traded out the Flute for the Bass lute before chasing down the Goblins. Usually Astarion gets those robes I'd suppose, but we gave him Lump's horn to compensate hehe

If you play as him you get a pretty Bedazzling opener from the first long rest, so threads to match I guess right?

ps. Bardlock status I think, for sure. Kept it going for a couple hours till we settled on a dip into purple rain, cause drake didn't look quite as clean with the bard duds. Got the Quasit improvising for now lol. Maybe if they keep practicing they'll hit the big time when they finally find a proper drummer.

Healing Word and Inspiration came in handy after Minthara flipped the merch table and the Goblins got way out of pocket hehe. S'crying eyes! Eat your heart out Mizora!

Catch ya on the next act heheh

And the last (Spoilers*)

kiss biggrin

#MMS
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I would appreciate if the romance options even worked at all. Wyll was one of the best in my eyes.

I experienced from old saves after patch 4:

- at the dance scene, either the game crashes for others
- for myself: or the Emperor appeared instead

I must say i'm pretty annoyed, that they botched Wyll, also Gale and partly Astarion, and with that the great work of the actors that way.

I'm playing act 3 atm and it's not fun, i had to send so many bug reports i stopped counting. None of them got a reply yet...

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Just think how thrilled Karlach must be to have Mizora hanging around all the time. I imagine Wyll and Karlach get together off in some corner, on the far side of camp, and make certain Mizora-related plans for the future... devil rpg008

Can confirm. wink

I feel like these conversations are hilarious and terrifying. Wyll and Karlach have a rare balance of unbelievable goodness and terrible ferocity. They are my favourite people.

Last edited by Taleon; 07/11/23 01:01 PM.

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
One of the reasons we're lingering in the first two areas is I'm still hearing not-that-great things about Act III. I hope it's sorted soon.

I'm sorry you're having problems Rebel Moon. You and Wyll deserve to have a full romance every time.

Originally Posted by Rebel Moon
I would appreciate if the romance options even worked at all. Wyll was one of the best in my eyes.

I experienced from old saves after patch 4:

- at the dance scene, either the game crashes for others
- for myself: or the Emperor appeared instead

I must say i'm pretty annoyed, that they botched Wyll, also Gale and partly Astarion, and with that the great work of the actors that way.

I'm playing act 3 atm and it's not fun, i had to send so many bug reports i stopped counting. None of them got a reply yet...

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Estelindis
Originally Posted by Taleon
Thank you Estelindis. Great comment. Definitely something to think about and explore. Is there a line for self-sacrifice and, if there is, how much is the reason the person is so willing in the first place what defines it and how much is the line defined by the result? As Withers asks, what is the worth of a life?

I feel like Wyll and Karlach challenge our character as much as our sensibilities as angels who look like devils while we sometimes choose devils that look like angels.

In the next age somone is going to decide Wyll should be remembered as a saint if Faerun remembers him, human and flawed but a saint. What about the rest of us as heroes or ordinary beings? How much is too much to ask to save someone or many and what are we if we are not willing to pay?
Thank you Taleon! For me, this is one of the chief questions inspired both by the game in general and Wyll's story in particular.

In a world like FR, where lives are finite but souls can be eternal, to what extent can it ever be fair to sacrifice a soul - even your own soul, offered freely - to save one life? What about hundreds or thousands of lives? And to what extent can we meaningfully talk about it being a free sacrifice if there's extreme time pressure and the hanging threat of others suffering if you make the "wrong" choice, or even if you simply don't decide quickly enough?

At the same time, we can't necessarily treat it as a pure "souls vs. lives" calculation, because an atrocity against a large number of lives can have an impact on the fate of people's souls - say, if someone gets pushed down a path of vengeance by suffering, and ends up handing over their own soul in a pact. Or someone simply gets ground down by suffering and takes a worse path as a result.

Those are really good questions Estelindis. I don't think Wyll has a choice really; I can't even say a person like Wyll because there aren't many like him. It's inspiring that he does it but a tragedy that he's pushed into situations that demand such sacrifice to do good in the first place.

The way to honour the things he does is to get rid of the people and beings that create those kinds of situations. We think of doing that as heroism and pretend it's hard when it's just taking out rubbish. That's not hard. And if we're honest we like it. Particulary when we don't feel the cost. Heroic is doing what Wyll does. Taking the extra time to determine who is really innocent no matter how things look and accepting a serious loss to protect them. That's hard.

I feel like it's easy and understandable to be consumed by rage after a lot of suffering and the beings who create that suffering deserve that wrath. They should pay. The thing that makes Wyll special is he can be dipped in all the levels of hell and not be consumed. He will always be the Blade of Frontiers.

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Someone mentioned the Daredevil gloves. What are some other magic items that are really useful for Wyll?

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
A clever player has found some unused Wyll content! Some are speculating/hoping a more complete story is coming soon for our favourite sulphur tainted hero with the Superman soul.

JandK has a point. It would be nice if Wyll got some advantage after paying that high price. What about a cantrip to light his weapon on fire? There is already a good defense spell with both fire and ice that would be a good symbol of Wyll's dual nature. Maybe he would get that automatically.

Originally Posted by JandK
I wish Wyll got something for being a devil. Something devilish, like devil's sight, or resistance to certain types of damage.

#MMS
veteran
veteran
There is a mod, that makes Wyll basically a tiefling with their perks, like fire resistance, advanced dark vision and a spell selection (I think from the Zariel spell list). He also has the fangs and tail.
I would love that. And then you should be able to tell him as a tiefling, how foolish he is, to complain about his horns to me.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
There is a mod, that makes Wyll basically a tiefling with their perks, like fire resistance, advanced dark vision and a spell selection (I think from the Zariel spell list). He also has the fangs and tail.
I would love that. And then you should be able to tell him as a tiefling, how foolish he is, to complain about his horns to me.

Nice one fylimar. Modders are so creative.

Wyll is very close to Tieflings; his purpose in life is to protect and avenge the vulnerable and they are extremely abused as a group.

The slight difference I would make is I wouldn't make him a Tiefling exactly, like not giving him a tail, because I think it's important we can see the change is not as dramtic as he imagines when it first happens, and I feel like that moment after he has been transformed, when he is embraced by Tieflings in the form of Karlach is a really important full circle moment for Wyll. The change makes him partially a devil, exactly lwhat Tieflings are often accused of, and the first person to tell him or remind him that the important thing is who is is a Tiefling.

It would be great if you could have that moment with him specifically as Tiefling fylimar.

I always say it's one of my favourite moments. It's really touching and a bit flirty. I feel like part of the reason Wyll gets used to the change so quick is an amazing girl like Karlach tells him that he actually looks great. Which I don't mind because he's my best mate and trustworthy (and I definitely don't mind if I'm playing as Wyll wink ).

Last edited by Taleon; 10/11/23 05:49 PM.

#MMS
veteran
veteran
So I love Mizora in this game!

But I'm pretty sure that's cause I really enjoyed the film "Bedazzled" lol. Like give me half a rotten tomato on that one and I could still get down! Or that show "Evil" which explores similar themes. I think it works for me, cause she's just another thing he has to overcome, and her taunts and torments make him super relatable. Like he's all hung up on that bad decision and on this ex, a literal devil on his shoulder - thwarting all his plans to make a clean break, complete with the disapproving parent dynamic even. Like there's just a lot there to mine hehe.

That said I think she should always be on the far side of whatever camp location, and not leering, like right next to his bed, 3 feet away.

It's super easy to imagine the shoe on the other foot here. For example, I know for a near certainty that if they flipped the script, the reception might be rather different. For example...

If the Origin character was named Wyllimina, and she was being hounded at camp by some unrelenting incubus named Mizoro, there'd probably be a dozen different options to fireball that dude into the next zip code lol. I mean right?

So there's that!

I do think she enhances Wyll's character by being so adversarial and litigious and omnipresent though. I also think her character would have been great as a whole separate thing for Warlock PCs, as opposed to just being attached to Wyll at the hip. It makes his late game romance path a bit awkward I'd guess, that you can't just tell her to kick rocks.

My first ever BG3 playthrough was as a Warlock and I got all excited thinking that Raphael and Mizora were there specifically for me, for my Tav, cause I chose that class, but then kinda sad when I realized it was a generic/origin companion specific type thing.

Still, Wyll is great! So I think she just can't let him go. In order to make it work in my head canon, I have to give her a secret motivation where she actually somehow knows that Wyll will make the right choices and in the end that she also wants that for him. Again, pretty similar to Bedazzled, the B flick take. For all her snark and supposed self interest, she does protect Ravengard at that one point, even though it's totally her fault that he was even there to begin with! Lol

I wouldn't expect her to ever admit contrition, but I kinda get that from her anyway. And Devils sort of exist outside of normal space-time, so maybe it works somehow where she's actually a better angel than we give her credit for, sorta nudging him along towards his destiny, like a lot of the devilish looking peeps in this game who subvert like that. I feel like if I was at comic con I'd totally want her to sign the poster too heheh.

Despite all that though, I do think the PC should be able to tell Mizora to take a hike, and then talk some serious shit on her with Karlach once Mizora is out of earshot. That'd be a nice touch!

Last edited by Black_Elk; 14/11/23 04:15 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard