Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 85 of 93 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 92 93
T
stranger
stranger
T
Excuse me if I come off as insensitive, but I never thought the whole drow sex slave thing was put there to be more than some joke made in very bad taste. "Wow Halsin is so cool, he was made a drow sex slave two hundred years ago but he enjoyed it because he loves sex so much!". It holds the same narrative weight as him alluding to Lae'zel that he had sex with that three-headed animal or the story about how he got his scars.

The way the writer relegated SA/Human trafficking to simple comic relief banter goes to show he did not think through a lot of Halsin's behavior in some areas. That's at least how I view it, you are allowed to think differently. Judging by Act 3 and the epilogue, this game clearly needed another year in the oven anyway, act 3 Halsin is just another symptom of rushed development in my eyes.

edit: Also on the topic of rushed development. I think people got used to games coming out pretty quickly. Since games evolve and their scope becomes bigger and bigger, that means more people working on it, more money going into it, and especially more time dedicated to actually developing the game. It just seems like rushed development is becoming normalized and basically expected of Major developers, push it out now and finish it later kind of mindset. Larian did a better job than most I agree, but you have to admit the game is pretty bugged throughout.

Last edited by TheOracle; 05/11/23 01:58 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by JeyFrey
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
So in regards to the datamined content:

1. For the ultimatum, I am firmly team Halsin here. He has no way of knowing Minthara doesn't mean him harm. He is an escaped sex slave to a Drow noble, and Minthara is a Drow noble who advocates for slavery multiple times. This isn't about cruelty, it's not about wanting her to suffer (which is why Halsin respects Tav's choice if they pick Minthara, with no ill will)- it's stating a boundary. He will not stay where she is, knowing that he will never feel safe if she is there. I can't believe Halsin is being made out to be a monster for this, honestly, but seeing all the other completely mild or understandable things that have gotten him a hatedom, I really shouldn't be surprised.

This is nothing but cherrypicking. He can't accept a female Drow noble because of what he had to experience in the Underdark, yet he still talks way to positive about his "youthful misadventures" and gladly takes the opportunity to get it going with the Drows. If he really would be shocked by everything he went through, he would most likely have a huge problem with Drows in general.
Larian should clearly draw some boundaries. He either should be fine with every Drow (not only for sex) or every Drow should have a hard time with him, that means its more difficult for a Drow Tav to earn his trust/approval, he should be clearly against Minthara but also clearly against the Drows in the brothel. You can't just ignore his past just to have another (poorly written) fade-to-black scene just so the crowd is happy. In all honesty, this game is really a good example of how not to include sex into a game. No one is talking about the good story, no one cares for all the nice things they included in the game. No, social media is just full of horny posts, thirsty, hormone-driven people like this is a truth or dare-party for some 14 year olds.
If this is what future RPGs are aiming for, then I guess I have to step away from it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sex, it's quite the opposite, but if a company says something like "sex shouldn't feel like a reward" and "we take relationships serious" then they shoud live up to the expectations - and clearly they failed. Like someone said in another thread, it feels like some 16yo "romances".
For everyone older than that (or at least with a more grown-up mindset), this feels just like a party consisting of multiple Costas from the movie Project X.

1. Trauma really doesn't present that neatly in real life. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing. I have a friend who was bit by a dog as a kid. You'd think they would be terrified of bigger dogs, which are a bigger threat, but it's actually the opposite- they're only scared of little dogs. The human(humanoid in this case) brain isn't as rational as you'd think especially in the face of trauma.
2. You come across as very anti-sex for someone who is "quite the opposite." Or perhaps so anti-this one character having sex that you seem just anti-sex regardless.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
1. Trauma really doesn't present that neatly in real life. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing. I have a friend who was bit by a dog as a kid. You'd think they would be terrified of bigger dogs, which are a bigger threat, but it's actually the opposite- they're only scared of little dogs. The human(humanoid in this case) brain isn't as rational as you'd think especially in the face of trauma.
2. You come across as very anti-sex for someone who is "quite the opposite." Or perhaps so anti-this one character having sex that you seem just anti-sex regardless.

1. This totally might be the case, also people I know who got bitten by a dog are mostly afraid of small dogs, because its mostly those who bite. And sure, it might be the case that Halsin is against some Drows and not against other Drows. Still, the way it is implemented in the game it feels like they are just trying to do anything needed for Haslin to still have the Drow twins scene. Like sure, everything sexual about his past is totally cool for him and to his enjoyment but everything else is either bad or not worth talking about. Feels like really lazy writing from John and nothing more than that. Should've asked Astarions writer how to properly prepare for sensitive topics.
2. If I had anything against Halsin or him having sex, I wouldn't even care to write here (let alone reading some stuff that just make my shake my head in disbelief). So let me explain it a bit more in depth: I don't like that Halsin just wants to get everything to his advantage, he wants just a p*ssy or d*ck to have fun with, without commiting himself, yet he still uses sweet language just to preserve the status quo (which is that he has said p*ssy or d*ck in his reach). This is neither fair for anyone who wants a monogamous relationship with him nor for people who want him to be part of a polycule. And that's what people are complaining about and something that most of the people who are whiteknighting Halsin don't get.
He just comes off as someone who uses everything he has (his past, his experience, his body) to just fuck around with no consequences and no remorse, no caring what the other being thinks and feels. I never liked those kind of people in real life and I never. He doesn't give a shit about consent, he's twisting his words several times over the course of the complete game.
As for the anti-sex part: I don't define myself and me being sexually interested and active by plain the way Halsin or you (I'd wager) seem to do. My better half and I have a satisfying sex life, but neither me nor she needs to jump from one body (or even animal, in Halsin's case) to another just to claim we love sex.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Come on folks, let's try to keep the discussion appropriate for a forum for people to have friendly chats about a game, and not get too much into difficult and controversial real life topics or make it personal. And, I say again, recognise when you've made your point, make peace with the fact that others are still going to think differently, and agree to disagree.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Come on folks, let's try to keep the discussion appropriate for a forum for people to have friendly chats about a game, and not get too much into difficult and controversial real life topics or make it personal. And, I say again, recognise when you've made your point, make peace with the fact that others are still going to think differently, and agree to disagree.

Aye, sorry if I went to deep into troubled waters.
Just to add something: I accept everyones opinion, as long as it stands for itself and is not trying to force convert someone. In the end, each opinion is worth reading and accepting.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Agree (with what you meant)! I wish they would revise it so he is not relationship adverse! That would make the romance so much better if you don’t have another romance in the game but still works if you do have another romance. Can’t speak for other people, but when I was requesting him as a companion and romance in EA, I didn’t mean for sex scenes only but also for a sweet romance story, which to me seemed to fit with his character in EA!

I can work with him being apprehensive of a new relationship after so many decades of researching the curse, being archdruid etc etc. That would make more sense than being out right adverse.

Makes me wanna be apprehensive along side him. "Im afraid/nervous too, but I feel so strongly about this Im willing to take a risk with you, if you will have me.

Last edited by AmayaTenjo; 05/11/23 09:20 PM.
stranger
stranger
Hey JeyFrey and autistichalsin, I know this topic is pretty heavy and may not be the best suited to this particular thread. I made a feedback thread specifically about the drow backstory, mainly because I was worried about having the subject matter in this thread without appropriate warnings, but also because I thought it merited its own deeper discussion. Halsin Drow Backstory Thread

I'd happily discuss it over there if you both want to. Again, it's a hard subject that can be emotionally charged, but I hope we can have a good discussion about it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
I can work with him being apprehensive of a new relationship after so many decades of researching the curse, being archdruid etc etc. That would make more sense than being out right adverse.
For sure!

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
I think they will only release that big patch (with added dialogues and new epilogues) together with the Xbox release. Xbox release is still slated for this year so hopefully we get something soon.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I still hope they can come up with more than just the ending. He still lacks commitment (no matter if mono or poly), even the ending is still not satisfying. He still doesn't want to commit, he doesn't even ask the Tav. I mean, lets try to think as someone in Halsin's position: You need a lot of helping hands, you just "saved the world", one of the saviours (who you told is the only one you want) stands directly in front of you. Even if you think this person has better things to do, if your heart is really connected to and in love with this person, you will totally at least try to ask the person to come with you. In the datamined stuff, he doesn't even try.

Sure, imo, Larian never wanted to add Halsin as the main romance for the Tav (something that would be really questionable if you remember all the people who wanted him for a sweet adult romance during EA), so in case you have him as your side kick, it fits the narrative more to just let him go - so the Tav doesn't have to pick between two romance options.

Originally Posted by JeyFrey
I still hope they can come up with more than just the ending. He still lacks commitment (no matter if mono or poly), even the ending is still not satisfying. He still doesn't want to commit, he doesn't even ask the Tav. I mean, lets try to think as someone in Halsin's position: You need a lot of helping hands, you just "saved the world", one of the saviours (who you told is the only one you want) stands directly in front of you. Even if you think this person has better things to do, if your heart is really connected to and in love with this person, you will totally at least try to ask the person to come with you. In the datamined stuff, he doesn't even try.

Sure, imo, Larian never wanted to add Halsin as the main romance for the Tav (something that would be really questionable if you remember all the people who wanted him for a sweet adult romance during EA), so in case you have him as your side kick, it fits the narrative more to just let him go - so the Tav doesn't have to pick between two romance options.
Halsin desperately needs quests in Act 3, an ending and maybe something more (definitely something for his romance).
Yes, I personally chose him as an option for "adult romance" even though my experience in EA was short and my full opinion on Halsin was shaped only while I was playing the release version. But the more I learn about Halsin's EA version the more I realise that this is what he needs, he needs to be brought back, he had such a potential: the story of his glaive, the scenario about Isobel, etc. His lines sounded different, his character had much more emotions and different sides, he actually was a scholar and a healer. So, under perfect circumstances what Halsin needs is his original personality and story.
I have so much thoughts right now based on EA info, I need to write them down somewhere. Maybe something like a fanfic. Or else.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Noelle666
Halsin desperately needs quests in Act 3, an ending and maybe something more (definitely something for his romance).
Yes, I personally chose him as an option for "adult romance" even though my experience in EA was short and my full opinion on Halsin was shaped only while I was playing the release version. But the more I learn about Halsin's EA version the more I realise that this is what he needs, he needs to be brought back, he had such a potential: the story of his glaive, the scenario about Isobel, etc. His lines sounded different, his character had much more emotions and different sides, he actually was a scholar and a healer. So, under perfect circumstances what Halsin needs is his original personality and story.
I have so much thoughts right now based on EA info, I need to write them down somewhere. Maybe something like a fanfic. Or else.

100% agree, the EA Halsin has been a joy, he was really a man of science and knowledge, he seemed to be untouched by the bad things in the world, but more like someone who always sought to solve those problems. His personality was sharp, smart, mostly on point, fair but not accepting everything and - most important - really an adult.
Most of those traits got removed for reasons we can only speculate on.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Do you think then that they sell the arrangements in the big patch? Hopefully, she crossed her fingers and toes for him.9

A
A

I didn't play EA, but the snippets I have seen and heard of Halsin from EA, he sounds like a much more compelling and interesting character. More emotional and vivacious.

I'm sad I missed that version. The release Halsin seems a bit like a blank slate upon which players write their version. I think it would explain much of the love him or hate him response.

Originally Posted by Asri
I didn't play EA, but the snippets I have seen and heard of Halsin from EA, he sounds like a much more compelling and interesting character. More emotional and vivacious.

I'm sad I missed that version. The release Halsin seems a bit like a blank slate upon which players write their version. I think it would explain much of the love him or hate him response.
I also missed this version (I played only a little during EA) so I can only watch, read and listen to all what's left on YouTube and Tumblr. Yeah, he was more interesting, he had a real motivation to go with Tav to Act 2 and, I'd say, he also had strong story line in this act which was intertwined with the main plot. Maybe Larian team thought this story is too complex for a mere NPC and they removed it and made it simpler, but when people expressed their desire to have Halsin as companion, it was too late to bring back this because of lack of time.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Frankly Halsin comes across as boorish in Act 3, I had virtually no interactions with him and then he was all "I want to bang you and your girlfriend" - when Orin kidnapped him I told here she could do what she wanted with him.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It's a bit sad ain't it. I felt nothing for Halsin personally in the beginnning, I just thought he was mega boring. Now after finding out other things about him, my view of him is overall negative to put it lightly. He won't be missed if Orin gets her hands on him, that's for sure.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Asri

I also missed this version (I played only a little during EA) so I can only watch, read and listen to all what's left on YouTube and Tumblr. Yeah, he was more interesting, he had a real motivation to go with Tav to Act 2 and, I'd say, he also had strong story line in this act which was intertwined with the main plot. Maybe Larian team thought this story is too complex for a mere NPC and they removed it and made it simpler, but when people expressed their desire to have Halsin as companion, it was too late to bring back this because of lack of time.

I really have a hard time comprehending that they have a decent amount of cut material for Halsin they could have utilized but diddnt.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Thinking about the writing choices for Halsin and how he comes across in act 3, one thing I love about Halsin's writing is his leadership arc. Usually, in fiction, you have characters who are just... destined to be the leader, and that's that. Their entire arc is about learning that they are meant to be a leader.

But instead, Halsin is a character who acknowledges that leadership isn't for him. It's a set of skills not everyone has or wants to have. He's a man with things he likes and things he doesn't like, and leadership responsibilities keep him from the things he loves.

Larian is so good at writing realistic characters with realistic flaws, and I would actually love to see this explored more with Halsin, one day.

I was just thinking about this because I've seen criticism for how he jumps at the chance to leave the Grove, and people saying it makes Halsin inconsistent. I feel like Halsin has a lot more going on in act 3 than a lot of people realize, sometimes.

Last edited by autistichalsin; 10/11/23 10:42 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Thinking about the writing choices for Halsin and how he comes across in act 3, one thing I love about Halsin's writing is his leadership arc. Usually, in fiction, you have characters who are just... destined to be the leader, and that's that. Their entire arc is about learning that they are meant to be a leader.

But instead, Halsin is a character who acknowledges that leadership isn't for him. It's a set of skills not everyone has or wants to have. He's a man with things he likes and things he doesn't like, and leadership responsibilities keep him from the things he loves.

Larian is so good at writing realistic characters with realistic flaws, and I would actually love to see this explored more with Halsin, one day.

I was just thinking about this because I've seen criticism for how he jumps at the chance to leave the Grove, and people saying it makes Halsin inconsistent. I feel like Halsin has a lot more going on in act 3 than a lot of people realize, sometimes.

I really thought they were going somewhere with this too. It really seemed like he was kind of bogged down by the daily grind of leadership and seemed a bit upset when he realized how well the grove was doing without him. It seemed like he felt like he played an insignificant role or that he is sad that he diddnt seem make a difference, and the thing with Kagha diddnt help that. I really thought that we were gonna be able to connect with him on some level. I really wanted to tell him theres so much more to being a leader than being incharge and keeping people in line. That he contributes so much more than just being a leader and a boss. That true leaders inspire their people and that he inspired us and made us want to do our best when when things got real hard.

Page 85 of 93 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard