Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 86 of 93 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 92 93
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I think that's what the ending was getting at, truthfully- showing how even if he isn't "a leader", he is still a "leader". He can inspire and help people, and take care of the vulnerable. It's no coincidence that his talk about leadership came at the same time as him seeing so much misery in the city, I think. He needed to see that there was still a place for him somewhere- people who he could help. I think he'll be very, very happy at his commune, where he isn't bound by the strictness of Druidic leadership, and is instead free to find his own way.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Noelle666
Originally Posted by Asri
I didn't play EA, but the snippets I have seen and heard of Halsin from EA, he sounds like a much more compelling and interesting character. More emotional and vivacious.

I'm sad I missed that version. The release Halsin seems a bit like a blank slate upon which players write their version. I think it would explain much of the love him or hate him response.
I also missed this version (I played only a little during EA) so I can only watch, read and listen to all what's left on YouTube and Tumblr. Yeah, he was more interesting, he had a real motivation to go with Tav to Act 2 and, I'd say, he also had strong story line in this act which was intertwined with the main plot. Maybe Larian team thought this story is too complex for a mere NPC and they removed it and made it simpler, but when people expressed their desire to have Halsin as companion, it was too late to bring back this because of lack of time.

I played EA and honestly, I'm pretty sure everything of him that was in EA is also still in the current version. There really wasn't much interaction with him at all in Early access in act 1. Even now I have trouble fully understanding what it was that people latched so hard onto given the relatively little that was there. I feel like Kagha had more interactions and more of an actual arc. I'm pretty sure that everything up to the part where we solve the shadowcurse was what Larian had always planned for Halsin, it's everything after that where he joins our party that's new.

veteran
veteran
For me there isn’t cut content that I would want restored for Halsin. Instead, I would like new content and romance options for him!

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Icelyn
For me there isn’t cut content that I would want restored for Halsin. Instead, I would like new content and romance options for him!

Im always gonna be down for more romance content o3o

I definitely want more dialogue amd/or camp cutscenes. I want to talk with him and really connect with him.

journeyman
Online Content
journeyman
Actually, there was abit of cut content for Halsin. He was the one that killed Isobel with the "Sorrow" glaive, which then lead to Ketheric cursing the land.

It was described in the "Druid Notebook" in Nettie's Chambers and why the Glaive had self damage.

Presumably, due to his guilt, this was the reason why he wanted to go with us.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
Actually, there was abit of cut content for Halsin. He was the one that killed Isobel with the "Sorrow" glaive, which then lead to Ketheric cursing the land.

It was described in the "Druid Notebook" in Nettie's Chambers and why the Glaive had self damage.

I really need to start poking around in peoples personal affects more in this game

Is there a reason why he killed her?

old hand
old hand
We never found out (unless the dataminers located something). I miss the rather (darkly) hilarious "fanfic" involving Halsin which was laying around the Grove in EA - I guess they removed that too?

journeyman
Online Content
journeyman
Well the Notebook has different text now, but I can get a transcript of the original:

Originally Posted by Druid Notebook
[This is an ancient notebook, whose ink is faded and pages are starting to crumble. It's not easy, but some words can still be made out]

How do you describe events like these? An accident? A tragedy? The cruelty of fate?
It does not matter. Isobel is dead.

I can't remember what happened with any clarity. We were negotiating. She with [...] I led the druids. [...] words grew heated [...] threw the first punch. It was mayhem.
[...] stared at me, my glaive's blade buried in her stomach and shock in her eyes. I can't believe she wanted to hurt me. It was pure instinct - the heat of combat.

[...] washed the blood from my hands. My glaive was still there, coated in her blood, but something else felt different. There's a sickness in the blade. It seems cursed, but by whom? Selune herself?

It is locked away now. I do not trust its power in the wrong hands. And I never want to see it again.

IIRC, the going theory was the Nightsong was influencing Isobel to attack (And the Nightsong was not originally Aylin either), otherwise sounds like an accident.

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 10/11/23 03:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I miss the rather (darkly) hilarious "fanfic" involving Halsin which was laying around the Grove in EA - I guess they removed that too?
That book was hilarious! hahaha

A
A
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
Originally Posted by Icelyn

Im always gonna be down for more romance content o3o

I definitely want more dialogue amd/or camp cutscenes. I want to talk with him and really connect with him.

Perhaps a simple scene sitting somewhere quiet discussing either his past or future desires. But I would hope their emphasis would be on polishing what is there first. I can see they reused assets from the sex scene for the new kiss but... damn!

It would tie in so well with
Isobel not remembering her death and could be part of the dialogue with Squire.
Perhaps they felt it was too negative for "Daddy" Halsin, but I would like another layer of complexity and backstory.

I would also like to see part 2 of his diary that he mentions he is keeping elsewhere. Either hidden, or can be pickpocketed off him before he is a companion. (Yes, I tried.)

We never found out (unless the dataminers located something). I miss the rather (darkly) hilarious "fanfic" involving Halsin which was laying around the Grove in EA - I guess they removed that too?
Oh, never heard of it! interesting.

IIRC, the going theory was the Nightsong was influencing Isobel to attack (And the Nightsong was not originally Aylin either), otherwise sounds like an accident.
Hm, if it was Orin, than it makes sence. With this story Halsin could have had more emotional background, more reasons to break the curse. I wish it could be at least a DLC. Also, I heard that originally he stopped drinking because after the death of Isobel he was drinking a lot, to drown his sorrow and depression, and some time after he decided it needs to be stopped. So, Halsin was much more complex person with his own pain, and it looks much more interesting that "being a victim of drow" which came out of nowhere.
Tav could have helped him with his "demons", maybe even lift a negative effect from his glaive and it could lead to a start of romance in Act 2.

Also, a bit of off-topic: Dave did an online authograph session at Streamily on YouTube (if some are interested) and he said he will do another stream this weekend.

veteran
veteran
I agree that the way they ultimately implemented Halsin was just terrible overall, but I do wonder if maybe Halsin fans were expecting too much from a character who was only ever meant to be a supporting character? I feel like I see this happening a lot not just with Halsin but with all sorts of side characters; people build up these grand ideas of how great they would be if they were part of the main party and want them added to the party and I just think... those characters aren't written to be part of the main cast. They're not going to have anywhere near the kind of quality content you want and you'd probably just be disappointed if they were added. The same thing seems to have happened to Minthara.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Druid Notebook
[This is an ancient notebook, whose ink is faded and pages are starting to crumble. It's not easy, but some words can still be made out]

How do you describe events like these? An accident? A tragedy? The cruelty of fate?
It does not matter. Isobel is dead.

I can't remember what happened with any clarity. We were negotiating. She with [...] I led the druids. [...] words grew heated [...] threw the first punch. It was mayhem.
[...] stared at me, my glaive's blade buried in her stomach and shock in her eyes. I can't believe she wanted to hurt me. It was pure instinct - the heat of combat.

[...] washed the blood from my hands. My glaive was still there, coated in her blood, but something else felt different. There's a sickness in the blade. It seems cursed, but by whom? Selune herself?

It is locked away now. I do not trust its power in the wrong hands. And I never want to see it again.

How tragic, poor Halsin...

Also, I heard that originally he stopped drinking because after the death of Isobel he was drinking a lot, to drown his sorrow and depression, and some time after he decided it needs to be stopped.

I kind of hope this isnt true because I really wanna see the silly obnoxious drunk version of Halsin he says he is. Him getting drunk, singing badly and being all lovey dovey for Tav would be funny.

journeyman
Online Content
journeyman
I miss the rather (darkly) hilarious "fanfic" involving Halsin which was laying around the Grove in EA - I guess they removed that too

If thats the "Book Drafts - Volume I, II, III, IV" then I think they were removed, maybe random drops, but the text is on the BG3 wiki.

Hm, if it was Orin

Nah, "Nightsong" was a completely separate character that was cut.

I miss the rather (darkly) hilarious "fanfic" involving Halsin which was laying around the Grove in EA - I guess they removed that too

If thats the "Book Drafts - Volume I, II, III, IV" then I think they were removed, maybe random drops, but the text is on the BG3 wiki.

Hm, if it was Orin

Nah, "Nightsong" was a completely separate character that was cut.
I was told, "Book Drafts Volume IV" which has this "Balsin" fanfic is in the game in Act 3 located in Home of Lavernica. Need to check it.
Oh, I see, thank you! Interesting, different Nightsong...

A
A
Oh lordy, that PS is hysterical. Now I have to look for a Roan in the Grove.

old hand
old hand

Excellent. May Balsin live forever.

journeyman
Online Content
journeyman
Bit off topic, but might as well add the last bits that I know of from the datamines:

Nightsong, originally, was "Shar's penitent. Cursed to bear the loss of all those who worship her."
And during Act 2, it seemed that we would have been able to side with Ketheric or the Nightsong in some fashion and one path would've had her as a boss fight.

Chubblot has some more stuff in one of his vids and has some VO'd Nightsong dialogue in his "Voice Lines: Cazador/Raphael as a Cambion/Mizora/SPOILERS" video.

Chubblot has some more stuff in one of his vids and has some VO'd Nightsong dialogue in his "Voice Lines: Cazador/Raphael as a Cambion/Mizora/SPOILERS" video.
I'm actually in a process of watching "The Nightsong, Halsin and Ketheric City | Baldur's Gate 3 Story Spoilers". Thank you for telling about other videos on this channed, I'll check them out too!

veteran
veteran
I'm actually in a process of watching "The Nightsong, Halsin and Ketheric City | Baldur's Gate 3 Story Spoilers". Thank you for telling about other videos on this channed, I'll check them out too!
If you didn’t see it already, you should check out his stream where he turned all the characters into Halsin! hahaha

Page 86 of 93 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard