Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Among 5 other awards including Ultimate Game of the Year, Best PC Game of the Year, Best Visual Design, and Best Game Community, Larian won Best Storytelling at The Golden Joystick Awards.

Well done. smile

Can you name a favourite part of the story without spoiling it?

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
veteran
veteran
Favorite part is the whole Nightsong sequence, especially when the OST kicks in.

old hand
old hand
Raphael. Astarion. Barcus. Rolan.

Spoiler-free enough? hahaha

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
The BG3 OST is so good it's almost a companion

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Favorite part is the whole Nightsong sequence, especially when the OST kicks in.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Spoiler-free, intriguing and cheeky. Natural 20 territory. smile

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Raphael. Astarion. Barcus. Rolan.

Spoiler-free enough? hahaha

#MMS
enthusiast
enthusiast

Yesssssssss, when I saw it for the first time I had goosebumps and was tearing up! Then I started sobbing and my husband came to my room to check up on me cause he heard me ugly crying! laugh Just to find out I was crying cause of that one beautiful scene! It has the same effect on me as that one scene in Titanic and Inception! AMAZING! <3

I
old hand
old hand
I
Considering all the plot holes and retcons this award is a joke.

veteran
veteran
I cry, when that music starts, so well done.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Some of my favorites:
  • Halsin in Act 1 and 2
  • Owlbear cub
  • Shadow curse quest
  • Auntie Ethel side quest
  • Raphael
  • Mindflayer plot

veteran
veteran
I think the whole monastery map might be might favorite. It might be my favorite dungeon too. Truly a pleasure to explore and discover.

That's including the enclave

Last edited by Sozz; 10/11/23 09:40 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Is this some kind of sick joke? Did anyone at the Golden Stick play through to the end or just play a bit of Act 1 and go "sure whatever".

How can a game win a storytelling award when the stories are not ... you know ... actually told? There are multiple companions with no endings whatsoever on multiple playthroughs.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Jarmer
Is this some kind of sick joke? Did anyone at the Golden Stick play through to the end or just play a bit of Act 1 and go "sure whatever".

How can a game win a storytelling award when the stories are not ... you know ... actually told? There are multiple companions with no endings whatsoever on multiple playthroughs.

Those awards are in the end all popularity contests. With enough hype and people who only played act 1 or writing fanfics about companions no one will dare to give the game a more realistic review or deny them awards because in that case the horde will descent upon them.
Just look at Eurogamer and what happened when they dared to not give a 5/5.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Ixal
Those awards are in the end all popularity contests. With enough hype and people who only played act 1 or writing fanfics about companions no one will dare to give the game a more realistic review or deny them awards because in that case the horde will descent upon them.

True, marketing and popularity contests.

journeyman
journeyman

Yes. As much as I like this game, people confuse quality with quantity. In terms of narration, BG3 is very cartoonish and sadly not always logical even.

Still a great game, but best narrative is a bit too much.

GOTY fully deserved though.

Last edited by Phea; 10/11/23 10:43 PM.
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
One of the best things about the game is all the things you find if you look a bit closer than you did the last time.

Originally Posted by Sozz
I think the whole monastery map might be might favorite. It might be my favorite dungeon too. Truly a pleasure to explore and discover.

That's including the enclave

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
A word about popularity contests. The Joystick Awards are the result of a vote and every vote is a popularity contest. Well-spotted.

I have seen individual experts of various kinds pour scorn on things the public loves. They are expert - on their own taste. Just like everyone else.

A conversation about hype and marketing in gaming verus quality, however the particular person speaking defines it is something I can imagine spending a lot of time discussing in the past but the debate has no end and, debatably, no point. The less one agrees with apparently popular opinion the more one may be inclined to attribute it to alien distortion whereas when the same factors are in play and the same person agress with the consensus they might have no complaint.

BG3 is an extremely popular game even with players who do not love every origin character, every arc or literally any ending, even players actively campaigning for improvement. They love the characters, the situations, in a word the storytelling. That storytelling has earned affection in a way no game has in a long time. That is what these awards reflect.

#MMS
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Phea

Yes. As much as I like this game, people confuse quality with quantity. In terms of narration, BG3 is very cartoonish and sadly not always logical even.

Still a great game, but best narrative is a bit too much.

GOTY fully deserved though.

I agree with all of this. I have many criticisms of BG3, mostly to do with the story writing, but it's still a breath of fresh air for crpg fans as of late. All I can hope is that its popularity will encourage more quality crpgs to be made. And perhaps Larian will take some of the story's issues into account and try to improve on structure/pacing/payoff next time they make a game, who knows.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
The owlbear cub story can be horrifying, natural, sweet or all of the above. It's on my list too.

Auntie Ethel is such an interesting person. A lot of hidden depth.

Originally Posted by Icelyn
Some of my favorites:
  • Halsin in Act 1 and 2
  • Owlbear cub
  • Shadow curse quest
  • Auntie Ethel side quest
  • Raphael
  • Mindflayer plot

#MMS
old hand
old hand
Hum my favorite story is Shadowheart’s especially when you play as a good Durge cleric of Selune and romance her. I think that’s all very well done— with perhaps the need for small tweaks/additions like hugs that we may get in the next couple of patches… and of course, an epilogue to tie everything up in a neat and satisfying way, at least relatively speaking. But yeah, I would say that Shadowheart’s story/character is extremely well done and it’s one of the things that keeps me coming back to the story again and again.

(as others have noted, act 2 Nightsong is an incredible sequence, and it’s made all the more incredible if you
trust Shadowheart without trying to influence her and she comes through for you. If you’re playing as good.)

Last edited by Ecc2ca; 11/11/23 12:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
Considering all the plot holes and retcons this award is a joke.
Those are a problem, but one could make an argument that sheer interactivity of the story makes it special.

Though my personally poor integration of gameplay systems and narrative make it farily weak, even if more glaring story problems get patched up in the future.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard