Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Quick reminder that everyone is entitled to hold and express their views on the game, and given we'll have different tastes and priorities it's guaranteed that we're never all going to agree, and that's fine. I'd just ask that people try not to take negative views of a game they love personally, but at the same time that if you do have negative views about the game talk about those rather than the "fanbase", among which many of us here will include ourselves. That way, hopefully, we can have an interesting, friendly discussion about our different views.

(Personally, while there are still a number of things that I can't make sense of, I am blown away by the complexity and depth of the storytelling in BG3, and the way that there's so much to discover about the various interlocking strands that relate to events both 100+ years ago and the near past and present day. But then I'm a glass-half-full sort of person, and will tend to focus on what is there rather than what's not. In my view, the storytelling award was well deserved, but of course I can appreciate that for many reasons others will take a different view. And in some cases, I can even agree with their reasons, they just don't have the same priority for me. And I always find it interesting to hear different perspectives.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I will say that the narrative quality of the main story and companion reactivity declines in act 3. But it declines from the amazing act 1&2 to your average run of the mill rpg. While some of the side content in act 3 remains excellent. So the game definitely takes a dip towards the end, which is a damn shame. But it doesn't spoil the rest of the game for me. On average, with everything considered I still find the story great.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
To me the origin characters really carry the story and the character writers and voice actors really deserve a lot of the credit for the awards. For me they managed to create the illusion that my character was as much a part of their story as they were part of mine. There are always areas where you could have asked for more in terms of interaction and reactivity. I tend to fill in the blanks with my own headcanon, so I am not too bothered about things that are missing.

Their aim with everything for act 3 was perhaps a bit too ambitious and they couldn’t really pull everything off, but I’d rather they aimed for the stars and came up somewhat short than not having that ambition. I got pretty much everything I could ask for in a story-driven crpg with freedom to play any character I want and explore the story and world in any way I want.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I can see how early access of a game can create expectations.

Just to show how different people are: I tried to get interested in Disco Elysium but haven't managed it. For one thing I strongly prefer a fantasy settingn and making my own character. The description of Torment convinced me I wouldn't enjoy it that much and I like a good power fantasy if I'm honest. To each their own.

Originally Posted by NorimizuRintarou
The story was ravaged by rewrites and is undoubtedly weaker than the potential BG3 we saw in EA. Still, the vision that pokes through now and again before the collapse into power-fantasy nonsense in Act 3 is still good; compared to something like WOTR, which is nothing but empty bombast and power-fantasy, it still is better within the CRPG sphere. Of course, we all wish something like Disco Elysium or Torment could come out every year.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I haven't played an evil playthrough and probably won't so I can't comment on that beyond saying I would expect unpleasant consquences to come from endless malice or slaughter of innocents.

Just so we're all on the same page nomainations are accepted from the public and the shortlist created by The Golden Joystick Awards panel is voted on by the public; those interested enough to participate in the process. The winner is not determined by resident experts to demonstrate their personal praise or to support public opinion. It is public opinion.

Originally Posted by booboo
Perhaps this year the competition was weak ?

"Wherever you sit on the alignment chart, from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil, developer Larian Studios has written a story to support all your choices. " (from the award text)

Is that true? Not from what I've seen here with complainants about the evil playthrough. I have also seen many discussions around choice actually being superficial - the most important one relating to the end...you know of what I speak. Having played this twice, I agree with that last sentiment...so yeah, the main story is not that convincing.

I thought the main story was average for a AAA story driven RPG (plot issues, pacing, bugs, over the top...), but perhaps the origin character stories the real reason? Given the huge fanbase around the major origin characters and the controversy, like Halsin..always good for business - I think that is probably what they focused on. The game was a huge commercial success (*very* much hyped/feted in mainstream media) and has a large story component (unlike a combat simulator for example) - so it was in the running. And the people who run these 'awards' need to agree with the masses (and large studio, more specifically) to remain 'relevant'.

If everyone was treated the way they treated the person least able to resist there would be universal prosperity and complete peace

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
This is the view I usually see. All things being equal to the extent all things are ever equal, openly discussing places where improvment can still be made (and setting asdie hype surrounding any another game) BG 3 is the game players love and as Ecc2ca said the one they keep coming back to.

Originally Posted by Dwapking
I will say that the narrative quality of the main story and companion reactivity declines in act 3. But it declines from the amazing act 1&2 to your average run of the mill rpg. While some of the side content in act 3 remains excellent. So the game definitely takes a dip towards the end, which is a damn shame. But it doesn't spoil the rest of the game for me. On average, with everything considered I still find the story great.

#MMS
stranger
stranger
Congrats. Awesome to see a great crpg win big.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
This is what I would have said about my own perespective but I likely wouldn't have expressed it as well.

The freedom of choice in handing any given situation from psychotic to sophisticated is great. The companions I've spent time with are unique in my experience and whilst I would like more interactions with them and more story about them the writers and actors do an incredible job bringing them to life.

Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
To me the origin characters really carry the story and the character writers and voice actors really deserve a lot of the credit for the awards. For me they managed to create the illusion that my character was as much a part of their story as they were part of mine. There are always areas where you could have asked for more in terms of interaction and reactivity. I tend to fill in the blanks with my own headcanon, so I am not too bothered about things that are missing.

Their aim with everything for act 3 was perhaps a bit too ambitious and they couldn’t really pull everything off, but I’d rather they aimed for the stars and came up somewhat short than not having that ambition. I got pretty much everything I could ask for in a story-driven crpg with freedom to play any character I want and explore the story and world in any way I want.

#MMS
C
C
Even though the game is in an unfinished state and I'm disappointed in Larian for that, I feel the award is deserved, there is no other good game released this year so that might've helped a bit.

veteran
veteran
Praise:

Without spoilers. Or at least I'm only teasing the edges of spoiling the story. My favorite part was Shadowheart followed by Lae'zel.

Shadowheart's final choice did feel tragic. Whoever wrote that was a Forgotten Realms fan who really did understand the lore on Selune and Shar. The choice felt very Sharran.

I didn't expect to like Lae'zel as much as I did. But I'm a sucker for crisis of faith stories and I thought her story worked well.

The Cats. Love the cats.

Books. I loved the books. Some were clever and some were delightfully naughty. "Yoshimo is willing" indeed

Critique

Like Niara it's hard to say whether it deserved the award because you have omit so much to come a decision. Yes, if you disregard the end game, it's railroaded penultimate choice and the fact that you only have the illusion of choice in that instance. Yes, if you disregard the main plot, the fact that one of the major villains was a non entity, that the Wyll rewrite left Wyll with nothing to say . . . then? Then you have a really good game. But, ye gods, that's asking a great deal.

I couldn't vote because I had not opinions on the other games and it wouldn't allow me to vote for a voice actor and not make a decision about the game.

So the main story is a shambles but the rest is really good.

veteran
veteran
The Wyll situation seems especially tragic because I'm not sure what made Larian come to that decision. Was it based the feedback from the EA? Was the outline they had for his story really that bad?

I have no idea by what rubrik the award presents itself, but Baldur's Gate 3 is another situation where I think it's a better storyteller than a story. This is true of Video games in general, but as far as using the medium to tell a story, I liked making choices, and experimenting around how the world reacted to them; I liked a lot of the level design (like the mountain map and the Monastery) dungeons are after all the quintessential storytelling device in D&D, and I liked the characters. So even if the 'plot' didn't end up being very interesting, I would still consider it a good storyteller.

Actually bad story - good storytelling, is D&D to a tee. Larian doesn't have the excuse D&D does of being improvised, but I guess you could say its emulating a frail DM trying to add some gravitas to his horny friends on their killing spree.

Last edited by Sozz; 14/11/23 05:30 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Sozz
The Wyll situation seems especially tragic because I'm not sure what made Larian come to that decision. Was it based the feedback from the EA? Was the outline they had for his story really that bad?

I have no idea by what rubrik the award presents itself, but Baldur's Gate 3 is another situation where I think it's a better storyteller than a story. This is true of Video games in general, but as far as using the medium to tell a story, I liked making choices, and experimenting around how the world reacted to them; I liked a lot of the level design (like the mountain map and the Monastery) dungeons are after all the quintessential storytelling device in D&D, and I liked the characters. So even if the 'plot' didn't end up being very interesting, I would still consider it a good storyteller.
Imo Wyll was partially because of feedback and partially because at the start of EA Larian said they started with the evil and ambigious companions to get more feedback on them and will add good companions later.

But then they ran out of time, scrapped Helia and pushed Minsc into act 3 to still have him for marketing purposes. So they rewrote Wyll and Shadowheart to be good (or at least to have a good option) instead of just having the unfinished Karlach.

Last edited by Ixal; 14/11/23 05:33 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
Imo Wyll was partially because of feedback and partially because at the start Larian said they started with the evil and ambigious companions to get more feedback on them and will add good companions later.

But then they ran out of time, scrapped Helia and pushed Minsc into act 3 to still have him for marketing purposes. So they rewrote Wyll and Shadowheart to be good (or at least to have a good option)
I guess I'm already at the point with this game where I just want to know how the sausage was made. Being in the EA for so many years has made me too interested in the decisions and the process behind the end product I think

Last edited by Sozz; 14/11/23 05:33 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Imo Wyll was partially because of feedback and partially because at the start Larian said they started with the evil and ambigious companions to get more feedback on them and will add good companions later.

But then they ran out of time, scrapped Helia and pushed Minsc into act 3 to still have him for marketing purposes. So they rewrote Wyll and Shadowheart to be good (or at least to have a good option)
I guess I'm already at the point with this game where I just want to know how the sausage was made. Being in the EA for so many years has made me too interested in the decisions and the process behind the end product I think
That is quite disheartening as many things introduced later were downgrades.

T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I'm very sorry Wyll is not as developed as others. Wyll anchors the story for me. He makes it serious but heroic and not grim and Karlach makes it fun even though her story is also quite serious. If they were evil in my playthroughs I think I would've put BG3 down in a week.

I don't think I would've played if the premise was all evil. I've had enough grim characters. Life is gritty enough.

Imo Wyll was partially because of feedback and partially because at the start of EA Larian said they started with the evil and ambigious companions to get more feedback on them and will add good companions later.

But then they ran out of time, scrapped Helia and pushed Minsc into act 3 to still have him for marketing purposes. So they rewrote Wyll and Shadowheart to be good (or at least to have a good option) instead of just having the unfinished Karlach.

#MMS
T
Taleon Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
The image of a DM trying to coax players back to a thoughtful narrative made me smile. It reminds me of a lot of the coverage of the game. I really like the detail in all the action areas and the fact that so much of the game is outdoors. A better story-teller than a story is a clever way to express that idea. BG3 is an incredible storyteller.

Actually bad story - good storytelling, is D&D to a tee. Larian doesn't have the excuse D&D does of being improvised, but I guess you could say its emulating a frail DM trying to add some gravitas to his horny friends on their killing spree.

#MMS
addict
addict
Consider this:

Alan Wake 2. Remedy Entertainment/Epic Games Publishing. (Narratively driven, Action Cinematic Video game)
Baldur's Gate 3. Larian Studios. (Computer Roleplaying Game)
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty. CD Projekt Red. (Narratively driven, Action Adventure game with RPG elements)
Final Fantasy XVI. Square Enix. (Japanese-style "Roleplaying Game", Cinematic story telling)
Marvel's Spider-Man 2. Insomniac Games/SIE. (Action Hack and Slash, Cinematic storytelling).

I'm voting for Baldur's Gate 3.

It's no Disco Elysium or PST, but it's the best cRPG that has good (not great) storytelling, it's great that most of criticism levied against it is "scrapping bottom barrels", "reaching" and highly subjective.

Last edited by Dext. Paladin; 15/11/23 09:13 AM.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
it's great that most of criticism levied against it is "scrapping bottom barrels", "reaching" and highly subjective.

There are objective issues with the narrative. I'll give a quick example basing on Wyll's story:

We discover his tragic story - his father banished him when he learned that his son made a pact with a devil. Unfortunately, he banishes him so quickly that Wyll has no chance to explain the situation. When they meet years after, the father still despises his son. But then luckily the players comes in and explains the misunderstanding. In 0.5 second father is like "oh my god son, will you forgive me, I treated you so unfair!" - this isn't good storytelling. 1/2 of Wyll's tragedy comes from the fact that he didn't manage to say one sentence to his father and they needed omnipotent player to solve this super easy problem.

I
old hand
old hand
I
"Scraping the Barrel" certainly misrepresents the problems with the story of BG3. It had many plot holes, the execution is sloppy, it does not fit the mechanics (artificial time pressure), has uninteresting villains, swaps out the entire premise within seconds (tadpoles), has many lose ends that are not resolved and even if working perfectly is a generic save the world story, not any better that all other RPGs.

Lets say it how it is, fans blindly clicked on everything BG3 without regard what they even voted for.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin
Consider this:

I'm voting for Baldur's Gate 3.

Alan Wake II: Official Categorisation: Survival Horror
Baldur's Gate III: Official Categorisation: Role-Playing
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty: Official Categorisation: Action Role-playing
Final Fantasy XVI: Official Categorisation: Action Role-playing
Marvel's Spider-Man 2: Official Categorisation: Action-Adventure

So... would you say that you feel that a game winning an award when it's pitted against other games that do not even match the award category, making it by default the only functional contender in that short list, is a legitimate award with meaning? Are you satisfied that it got put into vote for several categories against games that didn't match the category at all, eliminating any real chance of the golden child not winning most of its nominations?

I, for one, don't really consider that legitimate. Frankly, I think being asked to select the best RPG from a list of games, only two others of which share a Partial categorisation with the genre being selected for to begin with, when there are numerous other so-classified RPGs from 2023 to choose from, is extremely suspect. There were other games that it could have been put up against by the selectors, and the short list options that people were given to pick from often felt very... let's say... motivated, at least to me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard