Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 118 of 157 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 156 157
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
You know, just theoretically - I do not expect anything like that to actually be added in the game - it would be fun to be able to roleplay a fully desperate Tav here. I know that's how I see mine. A wish spell is an overkill, sure, considering the level of the adventure and such, but it's still a pity that, say, Raphael wasn't in any way utilized here. The devil talks the big talk about Tav coming to him when all the hope runs out, but never tries to exploit a thing that seems far more hopeless than the tadpole situation by Act 3 - a friend/lover dying without a fix. Like, I don't even necessarily say we should've been able to actually bargain on that point - story limitations are a thing (although, again, would be fun to actually roleplay a desperate character making huge mistakes, perhaps even mirror it with Ketheric), but like. Feels like it'd be appropriate to mention it, at least. (And then, idk, have Karlach threaten to explode you both right now and there if you DARE to consider a freaking devil pact on her behalf, thus closing the negotiations :D)[/quote]

this would also be awsome to see, really cool idea

#JusticeForKarlach

R
Rae Offline
R
Visiting Avernus, then engine fix in Upper City with Gondians. I'm waiting for the removed content in the DE smile

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by Rae
Visiting Avernus, then engine fix in Upper City with Gondians. I'm waiting for the removed content in the DE smile
But there is no removed content, isn't it? That supposed leak from the steam post turned out to be fake unless I missed something. So that's story overhaul, or rather complete retcon considering what VA said and the fact that she's the only companion that can be turned into the mindflayer

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
They cut the upper city content from the game and the upper city is hinted to be where karlach can get her engine fixed. If the data miners are right

Originally Posted by Zentu
As for the specifics of Karlach. As a DM I would have allowed a way to "fix" her. However it would not be simple. A wish spell, as some have suggested, is SCARY to use and should be an act of desperation. Various other heal spells would require either a VERY high level priest and/or VERY expensive spell components and sacrifices. As with resurrections I would have required a very difficult task to be completed in order for the casting to be done. (money would not be enough) I would further add a time limit in based on Karlach's needs to add more "drama" to the questing. This is all however outside the realm of the BG3 project, would make a nice added content item hehe

Honestly? At this point, i'd go 100% with that. Make us sweat for it. Or at the very least, add some 'trade off'.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
100% agreed with that idea, don't make it easy but make it possible

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by mattmcrich
They cut the upper city content from the game and the upper city is hinted to be where karlach can get her engine fixed. If the data miners are right
So they find anything? All I know is they managed to dig up lines about Minthara's pregnancy and the epilogues narrated by Withers, rest of the big post about cut content was proven fake, or at least impossible to confirm which is kinda the same thing considering the extensive data mining that was going on

R
Rae Offline
R
Originally Posted by Conrad Curze
Originally Posted by Rae
But there is no removed content, isn't it? That supposed leak from the steam post turned out to be fake unless I missed something. So that's story overhaul, or rather complete retcon considering what VA said and the fact that she's the only companion that can be turned into the mindflayer

I think there is. Swen told in some interview, that Upper city was fully playable and they removed it from the game two weeks before the release. The hints like enriched infernal ores which were not properly removed from the game supports that theory, that the final fix was possible in the Upper City. Who knows what is true and what is only speculation.

But it makes complete sense for me. You go though the whole game and now you enter Upper city where you save Karlach in the last minute and then there is epic game ending in this location.

Last edited by Rae; 14/11/23 08:49 AM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by mattmcrich
So they find anything? All I know is they managed to dig up lines about Minthara's pregnancy and the epilogues narrated by Withers, rest of the big post about cut content was proven fake, or at least impossible to confirm which is kinda the same thing considering the extensive data mining that was going on

Ah well you're probably right then I hadn't heard that and I haven't heard anything recent. Rip still gonna keep hoping though.

#JusticeForKarlach

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Rae
Originally Posted by Rae

I think there is. Swen told in some interview, that Upper city was fully playable and they removed it from the game two weeks before the release. The hints like enriched infernal ores which were not properly removed from the game supports that theory, that the final fix was possible in the Upper City. Who knows what is true and what is only speculation.

But it makes complete sense for me. You go though the whole game and now you enter Upper city where you save Karlach in the last minute and then there is epic game ending in this location.

That'd be awsome to see! It'd be so nice to play a desperate tav in that kind of scenario getting to save karlach for real.

#JusticeForKarlach

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by Rae
Originally Posted by Rae

That's still speculation, or more like hopeful thinking. The fact that she's the only companion that can be turned into the mindflayer is a very strong hint that there were never any plans to make the engine fixable. The upper city likely would've had more explanation why it can't be fixed so this is propably all we can hope for in DE, unless they decide to completely retcon her story. That is if there will be any DE considering Sven is already talking about the next game

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I think for me the most we can hope for is an epilogue fix if you meet certain conditions.

An expanded quest to fix Karlach would have to change too much to be in the purview of a DE.

I HOPE the upcoming epilogues deliver but I dunno... Karlach's ending comes off like it was written by an author whose just in love with their own ideas even if it makes no sense. Karlach seems like a vanity project for a try-hard.

Last edited by Sunriders Destin; 14/11/23 01:30 PM.
The fact that she's the only companion that can be turned into the mindflayer

By the way, a genuine question since I've never went the mindflayer route for me or for companions: is she the only one who can be turned, or is she the only one who explicitly offers? I think someone mentioned somewhere that the other companions also could be chosen in the correct circumstances (if you talk to [spoiler] as them, maybe?), but I obviously never checked.

[Linked Image from tarraxahum.neocities.org]
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Update from Sam's second part of Q&A (VOD will come up on yt later and be indexed so keep your eyes open for that):

Sam got asked about DLC/more content and said that they have no say in anything, asking about anything in regards to new lines, new parts of the game or endings is pointless as they'd be breaking NDA. They're not allowed to comment much on the endings still as it's not out ln Xbox and frankly, they're just doing their job. Their part in this is to create a believable character that moves you, which I made sure they knew from us here that we see and think they truly have. Everything said in interviews is more or less the same thing and what they find particularly amazing is how many people have found solace and relatability in Karlach. They're grateful for each and every thank you they'd received, repeating what they've said in the interview we discussed 2 pages ago.

Sam also said not to bully Larian into anything as they will almost certainly NOT makenit happen then. But to remember they're also giant trolls so be careful what you wish for! Either way, Sam has NO say in what gets added, cannot comment on whether they've done anything for the game since release, you'll just have to wait and see and/or direct any feedback to Larian and not the actors.

They're just doing their job and trying to do that in the most believable way possible.

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by tarraxahum
The fact that she's the only companion that can be turned into the mindflayer

By the way, a genuine question since I've never went the mindflayer route for me or for companions: is she the only one who can be turned, or is she the only one who explicitly offers? I think someone mentioned somewhere that the other companions also could be chosen in the correct circumstances (if you talk to [spoiler] as them, maybe?), but I obviously never checked.
She is the only one that can be turned. Other "can" be, but only if you're the one playing as them which makes it no different than turning your Tav into the squid, except there are some special dialogues like Mystra being able to bail out Gale. Karlach is the third option if you don't want to sacrifice MC or Orpheus

Originally Posted by NomTheBurritos
But to remember they're also giant trolls so be careful what you wish for!

Oh this actually got a brief fit of laughter out of me. Taking it on full belief that they don't know (for real or for NDA reasons) anything, let's hope that Sam is not a prophet! Otherwise, well, can't wait to see how exactly we'll be monkey paw'ed on this one.

Also yeah, I get why people ask VAs all these questions (they are much more approachable that developers because of nature of their work, and they are associated with the characters directly), but they are reeeeally not the people for all that feedback.

Except for the "You did an amazing job and now I'm crying because of a character you so beautifully played" type of feedback, of course.

Thanks again for the summary, btw!

Last edited by tarraxahum; 14/11/23 04:08 PM.

She is the only one that can be turned. Other "can" be, but only if you're the one playing as them which makes it no different than turning your Tav into the squid, except there are some special dialogues like Mystra being able to bail out Gale. Karlach is the third option if you don't want to sacrifice MC or Orpheus

Gotcha, thanks! It's sort of weird in a way that... I can see some other characters having their reasons to volunteer besides the "I'm dying anyway" that Karlach has going? Like, I do think Lae'zel would sacrifice herself in Orpheus's place if asked, for the Prince of the Comet and what not. Then there's also Wyll, one of who's major character flaws is never putting himself first, for the good of the people. (Not that I want anyone to turn, but y'know, theoretically).

I know that Gale can offer to blow up in that scene, which is different, but character-situation-appropriate.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Id say remain positive on the whole idea of a fixed engine guys,
Weve alrdy had pages of ppl atguing about her *not meant to be fixed* in this thread and it goes no where. Cause honestly wether you believe that or not it really doesnt matter, atleast in regards to this thread.
We are all just putting our voices togather in regards how much a happy ending for Karlach means to the fanbase.
And how for most of us the current questline and endings for her seem...obviously lacking/ rushed. Combine that with the signs through out the game and data mining that there COULD have been a way to save her , we are for the most part just humbly asking larian to eventually* bring that back into the fold.
As an *option*

And honestly the company seems to be listening looking at the patches and whats been added in based on player feedback requests.

I am in the camp the more content the better. I dont want an epilogue that explains the inconstiency of enriched iron and lack of upper city. In patch 5. Even if it says *karlach manages to be free in the end*
I would much rather give them time enough (a year or so. For a DE) to add in PLAYABLE content that allows us to save her/ or not.
(Shoot for the stars land on the moon and what not.)

C
Banned
Banned
C
Originally Posted by tarraxahum

Gotcha, thanks! It's sort of weird in a way that... I can see some other characters having their reasons to volunteer besides the "I'm dying anyway" that Karlach has going? Like, I do think Lae'zel would sacrifice herself in Orpheus's place if asked, for the Prince of the Comet and what not. Then there's also Wyll, one of who's major character flaws is never putting himself first, for the good of the people. (Not that I want anyone to turn, but y'know, theoretically).

I know that Gale can offer to blow up in that scene, which is different, but character-situation-appropriate.
For me it's just the most obvious and painfully generic example of cowardly writer's way out to "raise the stakes". You know, when author wants to have a big death on screen but doesn't have guts to actually kill off some major character so either creates such character or gives one of the existing ones terminal illness or other condition that will inevetably kill the character (for example Thane and Mordin is Mass Effect, Itachi in Naruto, Whitebeard and Roger in One Piece and likely Butcher in The Boys). That's why I think Karlach's engine was never supposed to be fixable, especially knowing that she wasn't supposed to be Origin character, that way OG cast would remain intact, while someone could heroically sacrifice themselves anyway

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Also as a side tangent , finally got to experience this new kiss animation they gave karlach, and god damn it Larian, that was the sweetest most wholesome moment I have ever experienced in near 20 years of gaming. Ill be smashing that button after every major battle now. Cheers to the dev team and their attention to detail to recreate a moment like that for players to experience

Page 118 of 157 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 156 157

Link Copied to Clipboard