old hand
B
You made me recall my pre-ordering BG1 and getting it on release day smile

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Zentu
That was back when pre-ordering meant something. The stores got limited quantities shipped to them and if you wanted a popular game near launch day you had to preorder. Even then we did not have to pay full price for the game, most stores charged you $5 for the initial order and you paid the balance on pickup. Plus you could get a refund if you found out the game sucked before you picked it up, just tell them you did not want the order and they gave your $5 back.

Back then Beta testing was not something you paid for the "privilege" to do. You had to apply for Beta testing and where expected to fulfill the testing requests the company sent you. If you actually did the work you where rewarded with a free copy of the game. Today you pay to beta test, have your feedback ignored and your reward is a few extra days access for the full price of a game before it really was close to being out.

Not everything from the old days was worse than today in gaming.

This is very true - tbf, I was like 10yo when that game came out so had no idea how it was done, just enjoyed playing the games.

I’m hoping the industry learns something from the old days and it seems like at least Larian is trying. Here’s hoping we get a new hot fix soon because I’m waiting to get into act 3 ^^

J
J
Originally Posted by Tom Imp
No one is saying that a game is expected to be bug free. What is the issue is how many bugs are being fixed in every major patch. 1000+ fixes everytime shows a game that was not tested properly.

Your statement saying "solved through fan mods" is all well and good, if you are on the PC. That doesn't apply to those of us on the PS5.
Thus why I feel we need a separate forum for PC and PS5 because we are not talking about the same game experience in all of these threads. Hell, one look at the UI of both games clearly shows it's different.

I fully agree, but it is a bit more complicated. As Halycon says, there is no bug free game, or even bug free software. But there is damn lot of software with bugs we know will never occur in real life in software probably more complex than a game. That's why aircrafts are allowed to fly, we know, the software has bugs, but we also know that they don't matter.

Games are a special thing in software, as people tend to be more lenient as they are "only games". To a certain degree that is correct, in a text heavy game typos occur, but they don't matter or ruin the fun. But each typo is qualified as a bug. There are a lot of other minor bugs that are acceptable, like a bit of glitching, a slight frame drop in an especially crowded area, stats on a single weapon not displayed correctly, a book with a bit of lore I can't open... in short, anything that is not locking the player out of content, breaking his game, corrupting his saves or ruining his experience on hardware that should easily run the game according to the developer.

Over maybe the last 10 years delivering games with bugs of the latter kind has been quite a trend. Everybody is used now to "day 1 patches" so big, you essentially have to download the game twice. Followed by an orgy of patches. Just look at Cyberpunk, it took well over a year until the game was deemed playable and there are many examples like that. I stopped playing Lords of the Fallen, I think, it is an amazing soulslike, but they currently release a patch once a week fundamentally changing the game. It is very clear that not even the design process was finished on release day.

Back to BG3. As Tom Imp says, the amount of bugs fixed with every patch is truly disturbing. And it is not only that, every patch needs several hot fixes to get it to work. We currently have a situation, where each patch and hotfix probably breaks more, than it actually fixes. One character behaves, as he should, 2 others bug completely out. While most of the bug fixes address typo level things, we are well in the area of "not acceptable bugs", because players get locked out of content they payed for. That is like buying a car but being unable to use gears 5-8.

I'm in the software industry for way over 20 years and I have seen a lot of what is currently happening to BG3. And it always boils down to a mixture of 3 reasons. A sloppy and hasty development process with absurd deadlines. A bad architecture with a lot of stuff being hardcoded all over the board. Unstructured code with lots of (unknown) dependencies. That always lead to the phenomen that you fix one thing and another thing, that is logically not related at all, breaks for reasons. It also show as a lack of proper QA. Will Larian be able to fix this? Yes, but only with lots of time and a major internal overhaul of the game. Do I think they will fix it soon? No, because due to their communication they are more interested in the positioning of trees and other minor stuff, than truly working on problems for players.

That's why I stopped playing the game, or even downloading patches. Unless Larian announces a major overhaul e.g. in form of a definitive edition with enough additional development time to truly fix and test things, it won't get better, only different. Unless they land a lucky punch, miracles do happen and we are approaching x-mas anyway.

What I would really like Larian to do is get better at communication. Hell, you guys are nominated for the community award at Games Awards, better start talking to the community!

J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Jones76
Originally Posted by Tom Imp
No one is saying that a game is expected to be bug free. What is the issue is how many bugs are being fixed in every major patch. 1000+ fixes everytime shows a game that was not tested properly.

Your statement saying "solved through fan mods" is all well and good, if you are on the PC. That doesn't apply to those of us on the PS5.
Thus why I feel we need a separate forum for PC and PS5 because we are not talking about the same game experience in all of these threads. Hell, one look at the UI of both games clearly shows it's different.

I fully agree, but it is a bit more complicated. As Halycon says, there is no bug free game, or even bug free software. But there is damn lot of software with bugs we know will never occur in real life in software probably more complex than a game. That's why aircrafts are allowed to fly, we know, the software has bugs, but we also know that they don't matter.

Games are a special thing in software, as people tend to be more lenient as they are "only games". To a certain degree that is correct, in a text heavy game typos occur, but they don't matter or ruin the fun. But each typo is qualified as a bug. There are a lot of other minor bugs that are acceptable, like a bit of glitching, a slight frame drop in an especially crowded area, stats on a single weapon not displayed correctly, a book with a bit of lore I can't open... in short, anything that is not locking the player out of content, breaking his game, corrupting his saves or ruining his experience on hardware that should easily run the game according to the developer.

Over maybe the last 10 years delivering games with bugs of the latter kind has been quite a trend. Everybody is used now to "day 1 patches" so big, you essentially have to download the game twice. Followed by an orgy of patches. Just look at Cyberpunk, it took well over a year until the game was deemed playable and there are many examples like that. I stopped playing Lords of the Fallen, I think, it is an amazing soulslike, but they currently release a patch once a week fundamentally changing the game. It is very clear that not even the design process was finished on release day.

Back to BG3. As Tom Imp says, the amount of bugs fixed with every patch is truly disturbing. And it is not only that, every patch needs several hot fixes to get it to work. We currently have a situation, where each patch and hotfix probably breaks more, than it actually fixes. One character behaves, as he should, 2 others bug completely out. While most of the bug fixes address typo level things, we are well in the area of "not acceptable bugs", because players get locked out of content they payed for. That is like buying a car but being unable to use gears 5-8.

I'm in the software industry for way over 20 years and I have seen a lot of what is currently happening to BG3. And it always boils down to a mixture of 3 reasons. A sloppy and hasty development process with absurd deadlines. A bad architecture with a lot of stuff being hardcoded all over the board. Unstructured code with lots of (unknown) dependencies. That always lead to the phenomen that you fix one thing and another thing, that is logically not related at all, breaks for reasons. It also show as a lack of proper QA. Will Larian be able to fix this? Yes, but only with lots of time and a major internal overhaul of the game. Do I think they will fix it soon? No, because due to their communication they are more interested in the positioning of trees and other minor stuff, than truly working on problems for players.

That's why I stopped playing the game, or even downloading patches. Unless Larian announces a major overhaul e.g. in form of a definitive edition with enough additional development time to truly fix and test things, it won't get better, only different. Unless they land a lucky punch, miracles do happen and we are approaching x-mas anyway.

What I would really like Larian to do is get better at communication. Hell, you guys are nominated for the community award at Games Awards, better start talking to the community!

You are absolutely right about everything especially about talking to the community.

Continuing to report bugs or write on the forum without anyone ever responding is very frustrating.

We agree that fixing bugs takes time, I don't expect them all to be fixed in one patch though: Larian, at least tell us how things are progressing? Are you just focusing on the kissing animations or are you actually working on allowing people, after 100+ hours of gameplay, to complete act 3 without going crazy?

M
M
Considering how critical the act 3 lag problem is, we should have already received a fix, or at least some kind of announcement. People have been starting runs in the past two weeks just to hit an unplayability wall 50+ hours later. It is very disrespectful.

E
stranger
stranger
E
How is a minimum of four years in development - with a major EA support community they listened to, a sloppy and hasty process?
I get you have “20 years in the industry”, but you’re making a lot of arrogant presumptions here.

I’m very frustrated with the latest hotfix making the game unplayable(act 3) on PS5, but I also know what an absolute mastodon of a game this is and there’s bound to be bugs. Yes, it’s unfortunate, but I don’t see the necessity of going on the internet to smear someone’s efforts to meet a demanding community they’re all genuinely trying to meet the demands of.

Last edited by EmDaMo; 17/11/23 02:03 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by MalacPok
Considering how critical the act 3 lag problem is, we should have already received a fix, or at least some kind of announcement. People have been starting runs in the past two weeks just to hit an unplayability wall 50+ hours later. It is very disrespectful.

Do you not get replies when you’ve made bug reports on their support site? I’ve reported a lot of bugs, and they’re kind enough to let me know that they’re aware of the issues and are working hard to fix it.
I only started to experience crashing and lag so bad act 3 is unplayable with this latest hotfix, the game worked fine for me before that. There were issues with texture rendering etc, but it’s been minor complaints until this latest development.
I wish you could remove hotfixes/patches on console though.

Last edited by EmDaMo; 17/11/23 02:13 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard